IMFv2 Microsoft Update caught in "needs update" loop after January 5, 2005 Update (Exchange 2003 SP2)

We applied Exchange 2003 SP2 last year without incident, and we enabled and
configured IMFv2 to pull updates down from Microsoft Update with no
problems.
The December 15, 2005 IMF Update (6.5.7757.0) was identified and installed
correctly last year.
Last night as part of the regular monthly updates, a new update to IMF was
identified, January 5, 2006 IMF Update (6.5.7765.0), we applied it along
with the other Critical Updates and rebooted the server.

When the server came back up shortly after, Automatic Updates identified the
old December Update to IMF as needing to be installed even though it had
already been installed a month ago.  (The "updates needed" notification is
from the yellow shield icon in the system tray.)
We went ahead and re-installed it, and once it was applied, Automatic
Updates then identified the January Update to IMF again, and we applied it
again.
Once again, Automatic Updates claimed that the December Update to IMF was
needed - we stopped there and are for now ignoring the notification message.
Automatic Updates notification appears to be caught in a loop trying to
apply IMFv2 updates.

Is anyone else seeing this behavior?  How can this be fixed so that it
doesn't incorrectly identify IMF updates that have already been applied (yet
will continue to look for _real_ new updates)?

0
Research

I have exactly the same symptoms

"Research Services" <key@lamar.n0-sp@m.colostate.edu.NO> a �crit dans le
message de news: O5l0C%23rFGHA.3892@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> We applied Exchange 2003 SP2 last year without incident, and we enabled
> and configured IMFv2 to pull updates down from Microsoft Update with no
> problems.
> The December 15, 2005 IMF Update (6.5.7757.0) was identified and installed
> correctly last year.
> Last night as part of the regular monthly updates, a new update to IMF was
> identified, January 5, 2006 IMF Update (6.5.7765.0), we applied it along
> with the other Critical Updates and rebooted the server.
>
> When the server came back up shortly after, Automatic Updates identified
> the old December Update to IMF as needing to be installed even though it
> had already been installed a month ago.  (The "updates needed"
> notification is from the yellow shield icon in the system tray.)
> We went ahead and re-installed it, and once it was applied, Automatic
> Updates then identified the January Update to IMF again, and we applied it
> again.
> Once again, Automatic Updates claimed that the December Update to IMF was
> needed - we stopped there and are for now ignoring the notification
> message.
> Automatic Updates notification appears to be caught in a loop trying to
> apply IMFv2 updates.
>
> Is anyone else seeing this behavior?  How can this be fixed so that it
> doesn't incorrectly identify IMF updates that have already been applied
> (yet will continue to look for _real_ new updates)?

0
Antoine
1/11/2006 3:27:01 PM
I also had a problem trying to install the 2006.01.05 update.  When trying to
install this update via Microsoft update the download fails with error
0x80246002.  There is also a comment reporting a problem at
http://blogs.technet.com/exchange/archive/2005/12/14/416070.aspx?CommentPosted=true#commentmessage

"Research Services" wrote:

> We applied Exchange 2003 SP2 last year without incident, and we enabled and
> configured IMFv2 to pull updates down from Microsoft Update with no
> problems.
> The December 15, 2005 IMF Update (6.5.7757.0) was identified and installed
> correctly last year.
> Last night as part of the regular monthly updates, a new update to IMF was
> identified, January 5, 2006 IMF Update (6.5.7765.0), we applied it along
> with the other Critical Updates and rebooted the server.
>
> When the server came back up shortly after, Automatic Updates identified the
> old December Update to IMF as needing to be installed even though it had
> already been installed a month ago.  (The "updates needed" notification is
> from the yellow shield icon in the system tray.)
> We went ahead and re-installed it, and once it was applied, Automatic
> Updates then identified the January Update to IMF again, and we applied it
> again.
> Once again, Automatic Updates claimed that the December Update to IMF was
> needed - we stopped there and are for now ignoring the notification message.
> Automatic Updates notification appears to be caught in a loop trying to
> apply IMFv2 updates.
>
> Is anyone else seeing this behavior?  How can this be fixed so that it
> doesn't incorrectly identify IMF updates that have already been applied (yet
> will continue to look for _real_ new updates)?

0
Jackman (3)
1/11/2006 4:47:02 PM
"Research Services" <key@lamar.n0-sp@m.colostate.edu.NO> wrote in
message news:O5l0C%23rFGHA.3892@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> We applied Exchange 2003 SP2 last year without incident, and we
enabled and
> configured IMFv2 to pull updates down from Microsoft Update with no
> problems.
> The December 15, 2005 IMF Update (6.5.7757.0) was identified and
installed
> correctly last year.
> Last night as part of the regular monthly updates, a new update to
IMF was
> identified, January 5, 2006 IMF Update (6.5.7765.0), we applied it
along
> with the other Critical Updates and rebooted the server.

Mine wanted to re-apply the Jan 5th update again twice today.  I let
it apply it, and now it seems satisfied.

Lee.

--
_______________________________________

Outlook Web Access For PDA , OWA For WAP
www.owapda.com
email a@t leederbyshire d.0.t c.0.m
_______________________________________

0
Lee
1/11/2006 4:52:10 PM
There is an error in the logic for this patch that results in Windows Update
not knowing that it replaces the previous IMF update.  See the
microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services group for more.

-Tom Geairn
NewView Consulting, LLC

"Research Services" <key@lamar.n0-sp@m.colostate.edu.NO> wrote in message
> We applied Exchange 2003 SP2 last year without incident, and we enabled
> and configured IMFv2 to pull updates down from Microsoft Update with no
> problems.
> The December 15, 2005 IMF Update (6.5.7757.0) was identified and installed
> correctly last year.
> Last night as part of the regular monthly updates, a new update to IMF was
> identified, January 5, 2006 IMF Update (6.5.7765.0), we applied it along
> with the other Critical Updates and rebooted the server.
>
> When the server came back up shortly after, Automatic Updates identified
> the old December Update to IMF as needing to be installed even though it
> had already been installed a month ago.  (The "updates needed"
> notification is from the yellow shield icon in the system tray.)
> We went ahead and re-installed it, and once it was applied, Automatic
> Updates then identified the January Update to IMF again, and we applied it
> again.
> Once again, Automatic Updates claimed that the December Update to IMF was
> needed - we stopped there and are for now ignoring the notification
> message.
> Automatic Updates notification appears to be caught in a loop trying to
> apply IMFv2 updates.
>
> Is anyone else seeing this behavior?  How can this be fixed so that it
> doesn't incorrectly identify IMF updates that have already been applied
> (yet will continue to look for _real_ new updates)?

0
tgeairn (10)
1/11/2006 6:44:20 PM
We're seeing the same issue, the IMFv2 update keeps bouncing back and forth
between 12.15.2005 and 1.5.2006

Additionally, we're seeing the following event in the application event log:
_________________
Event ID: 7514
Source: MSExchangeTransport

An error occurred while loading Microsoft Exchange Intelligent Message
Filter.  The error code is 0x80004002.
_________________

It looks like this event didn't start until the most recent IMFv2 update.

Any Ideas?

"Research Services" <key@lamar.n0-sp@m.colostate.edu.NO> wrote in message
> We applied Exchange 2003 SP2 last year without incident, and we enabled
> and configured IMFv2 to pull updates down from Microsoft Update with no
> problems.
> The December 15, 2005 IMF Update (6.5.7757.0) was identified and installed
> correctly last year.
> Last night as part of the regular monthly updates, a new update to IMF was
> identified, January 5, 2006 IMF Update (6.5.7765.0), we applied it along
> with the other Critical Updates and rebooted the server.
>
> When the server came back up shortly after, Automatic Updates identified
> the old December Update to IMF as needing to be installed even though it
> had already been installed a month ago.  (The "updates needed"
> notification is from the yellow shield icon in the system tray.)
> We went ahead and re-installed it, and once it was applied, Automatic
> Updates then identified the January Update to IMF again, and we applied it
> again.
> Once again, Automatic Updates claimed that the December Update to IMF was
> needed - we stopped there and are for now ignoring the notification
> message.
> Automatic Updates notification appears to be caught in a loop trying to
> apply IMFv2 updates.
>
> Is anyone else seeing this behavior?  How can this be fixed so that it
> doesn't incorrectly identify IMF updates that have already been applied
> (yet will continue to look for _real_ new updates)?

0
user3950 (1)
1/11/2006 10:23:58 PM
If you're using WSUS for updates, you can manually decline the December
update (technically the second 2005.12.15 update, it was re-released and it
is this re-release that keeps coming back to haunt).  If you're not, try out
the uninstall and manual install directions in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907747/en-us.  (I have not tried these as we
use WSUS).

-Tom Geairn
NewView Consulting, LLC

"Travis Sharpe" <user@anon.com> wrote in message
> We're seeing the same issue, the IMFv2 update keeps bouncing back and
> forth between 12.15.2005 and 1.5.2006
>
> Additionally, we're seeing the following event in the application event
> log:
> _________________
> Event ID: 7514
> Source: MSExchangeTransport

> An error occurred while loading Microsoft Exchange Intelligent Message
> Filter.  The error code is 0x80004002.
> _________________
>
> It looks like this event didn't start until the most recent IMFv2 update.
>
> Any Ideas?
>
> "Research Services" <key@lamar.n0-sp@m.colostate.edu.NO> wrote in message
>> We applied Exchange 2003 SP2 last year without incident, and we enabled
>> and configured IMFv2 to pull updates down from Microsoft Update with no
>> problems.
>> The December 15, 2005 IMF Update (6.5.7757.0) was identified and
>> installed correctly last year.
>> Last night as part of the regular monthly updates, a new update to IMF
>> was identified, January 5, 2006 IMF Update (6.5.7765.0), we applied it
>> along with the other Critical Updates and rebooted the server.
>>
>> When the server came back up shortly after, Automatic Updates identified
>> the old December Update to IMF as needing to be installed even though it
>> had already been installed a month ago.  (The "updates needed"
>> notification is from the yellow shield icon in the system tray.)
>> We went ahead and re-installed it, and once it was applied, Automatic
>> Updates then identified the January Update to IMF again, and we applied
>> it again.
>> Once again, Automatic Updates claimed that the December Update to IMF was
>> needed - we stopped there and are for now ignoring the notification
>> message.
>> Automatic Updates notification appears to be caught in a loop trying to
>> apply IMFv2 updates.
>>
>> Is anyone else seeing this behavior?  How can this be fixed so that it
>> doesn't incorrectly identify IMF updates that have already been applied
>> (yet will continue to look for _real_ new updates)?

0
tgeairn (10)
1/11/2006 10:35:44 PM
MS Expired the 12.15.05 update, so this should no longer be an issue.  The
expiration appears as revision 102 in WSUS.

"Research Services" <key@lamar.n0-sp@m.colostate.edu.NO> wrote in message
> We applied Exchange 2003 SP2 last year without incident, and we enabled
> and configured IMFv2 to pull updates down from Microsoft Update with no
> problems.
> The December 15, 2005 IMF Update (6.5.7757.0) was identified and installed
> correctly last year.
> Last night as part of the regular monthly updates, a new update to IMF was
> identified, January 5, 2006 IMF Update (6.5.7765.0), we applied it along
> with the other Critical Updates and rebooted the server.
>
> When the server came back up shortly after, Automatic Updates identified
> the old December Update to IMF as needing to be installed even though it
> had already been installed a month ago.  (The "updates needed"
> notification is from the yellow shield icon in the system tray.)
> We went ahead and re-installed it, and once it was applied, Automatic
> Updates then identified the January Update to IMF again, and we applied it
> again.
> Once again, Automatic Updates claimed that the December Update to IMF was
> needed - we stopped there and are for now ignoring the notification
> message.
> Automatic Updates notification appears to be caught in a loop trying to
> apply IMFv2 updates.
>
> Is anyone else seeing this behavior?  How can this be fixed so that it
> doesn't incorrectly identify IMF updates that have already been applied
> (yet will continue to look for _real_ new updates)?

0
tgeairn (10)

IMFv2 Microsoft Update caught in "needs update" loop after January 5, 2005 Update (Exchange 2003 SP2)
We applied Exchange 2003 SP2 last year without incident, and we enabled and configured IMFv2 to pull updates down from Microsoft Update with no problems. The December 15, 2005 IMF Update (6.5.7757.0) was identified and installed correctly last year. Last night as part of the regular monthly updates, a new update to IMF was identified, January 5, 2006 IMF Update (6.5.7765.0), we applied it along with the other Critical Updates and rebooted the server. When the server came back up shortly after, Automatic Updates identified the old December Update to IMF as needing to be installed even th...

Money needs update
I started Money 2007 this evening to get some expenses caught up and a dialog box popped up saying that in order for Money to continue working properly, an update was required. I clicked OK and it looked like a download started followed by an install that went only part way. Another dialog popped up saying that the installation could not close Money (even though Money had disappeared from view) and I needed to restart Money to complete the installation. I did this and a dialog popped up saying that in order for Money to keep working properly, an updated was required. I clicked OK. ...