IMF and remote users.

I  need a bit of hand holding on this. We are about to start hosting
our own email. There are branch offices that will pick up their email
with POP3 from our server running SBS 2003. I want to filter for spam,
but also want all the users to have the ability to review emails
caught by the filter.

If I use the IMF filter, am I correct in assuming that the remote
office users will never see those emails in that they will have been
moved out of their inbox to the spam folder? Is there a built-in
method of tagging, not moving emails identified as spam on a RBL?

Thank you.
0
anonymous

- Are you going to use RBLs? There's no way to tell IMF not to process
messages from sources listed on RBLs, iirc.
- You can set the Store Junk E-mail threshold equal to or higher than the
Gateway Blocking threshold - that will ensure none of the messages not
filtered by the gateway get moved to users' Junk Mail folders.
- If you're not going to block any messages at the gateway (by setting
Gateway Blocking config to "No Action") , set the Store threshold to the
highest - 9. Fairly certain that won't move anything to Junk Mail.
- Another alternative - switch users to IMAP4 instead!
--
Bharat Suneja
MCSE, MCT

<anonymous> wrote in message
>I  need a bit of hand holding on this. We are about to start hosting
> our own email. There are branch offices that will pick up their email
> with POP3 from our server running SBS 2003. I want to filter for spam,
> but also want all the users to have the ability to review emails
> caught by the filter.
>
> If I use the IMF filter, am I correct in assuming that the remote
> office users will never see those emails in that they will have been
> moved out of their inbox to the spam folder? Is there a built-in
> method of tagging, not moving emails identified as spam on a RBL?
>
> Thank you.

0
bharatsuneja1 (3145)
12/14/2005 2:50:00 AM
Bharat,

Is my assumption correct then if I use the IMF (not RBL), that the
emails would be moved out of reach of the remote users, so to speak?

I never considered IMAP. Some of these users would just love to have
something to complain about - not sure we are ready for that but I
will look into it.

Thank you.

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 18:50:00 -0800, "Bharat Suneja"
<bharatsuneja@no.spam.org> wrote:

>- Are you going to use RBLs? There's no way to tell IMF not to process
>messages from sources listed on RBLs, iirc.
>- You can set the Store Junk E-mail threshold equal to or higher than the
>Gateway Blocking threshold - that will ensure none of the messages not
>filtered by the gateway get moved to users' Junk Mail folders.
>- If you're not going to block any messages at the gateway (by setting
>Gateway Blocking config to "No Action") , set the Store threshold to the
>highest - 9. Fairly certain that won't move anything to Junk Mail.
>- Another alternative - switch users to IMAP4 instead!

0
anonymous
12/14/2005 6:52:14 AM
- As I posted earlier, if you set Store threshold right, it can still be
delivered in Inbox. The only difference in this case will be it will have
the SCL rating tagged, and it beats the purpose of having IMF, imo.
- Mail in the Junk Mail folder is still accessible using OWA
- With RBLs you use Connection Filtering - if sending host's IP address is
listed on a RBL Exchange can drop the message. You can add SMTP
addresses/domains to never be filtered by RBLs, and also a global
accept/deny list of IP addresses is available to always allow safe IP
addresses. Many find RBLs increasingly ineffective.
- You can use RBL with IMF - it's not an either or decision.
--
Bharat Suneja
MCSE, MCT

<anonymous> wrote in message
> Bharat,
>
> Is my assumption correct then if I use the IMF (not RBL), that the
> emails would be moved out of reach of the remote users, so to speak?
>
> I never considered IMAP. Some of these users would just love to have
> something to complain about - not sure we are ready for that but I
> will look into it.
>
> Thank you.
>
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 18:50:00 -0800, "Bharat Suneja"
> <bharatsuneja@no.spam.org> wrote:
>
>>- Are you going to use RBLs? There's no way to tell IMF not to process
>>messages from sources listed on RBLs, iirc.
>>- You can set the Store Junk E-mail threshold equal to or higher than the
>>Gateway Blocking threshold - that will ensure none of the messages not
>>filtered by the gateway get moved to users' Junk Mail folders.
>>- If you're not going to block any messages at the gateway (by setting
>>Gateway Blocking config to "No Action") , set the Store threshold to the
>>highest - 9. Fairly certain that won't move anything to Junk Mail.
>>- Another alternative - switch users to IMAP4 instead!

0
bharatsuneja1 (3145)

User Form Display Question
My problem is that the User Form is to big to fit on the Screen. It works good on 1 Computer, but when I use A computer with a smaller Screen it becomes way to big. When that happens 30% of the Form is cut off. Is there a code that I can run on UserForm_Initialize that will size it for the Screen. It would be nice if it would size according to the Display settings. I found this code here in the forumn but I can't get it to work. Sub size_form_and_controls() Dim start_height As Long Dim start_width As Long Dim new_height As Long Dim new_width As Long Dim height_ratio...

No Exchange Tasks in Active Directory Users and Computers
Hi I have just installed Exchange 2000 SP2 on a Win 2K system. Install seemed to go fine, AD Schema has been modified, Exchange seems to be running. However... When I go to AD users to create a new mailbox enabled user, there is no Exchage Tasks Wizard. There are no Exchange related tasks at all that I can see. If I right click a user, no Exchange related tasks in the menu, and if I look at the user properties, there are no Exchange related tabs. As this is a test setup, Exchange is actually installed on the test Domain Controller. I tried unistalling and re-installing ESM, and no joy - st...

Exchange 2003 IMF in a Simple Front End Back End Scenario
Exchange 2003 SP1 on both a BE server and a FE server. IMF has been downloaded and installed on the FE only. I have it set to not do any of the gateway archive/delete. I have it set to put Junk Email with a score of 8 or higher into the Junk folder. My email account is accessed via Outlook 2003 and via OWA (forms based). I have a Junk email folder in my OWA and the options are set to enable the Junk email filtering. My expectation is that the FE will assign the SCL number and then move it to the junk email folder, but when I go into OWA it is in my inbox. When I start up Outlook, it gets...

Improve "Find" command: Let user specify color/thickness/blinking.
This is an improvement suggestion to Microsoft: To make it easier for a user to visually locate the next cell found by the "Find" command, please allow the user to modify the color, thickness, or blinking characteristics of the found cell's border. Currently, in Excel 2003, the found cell is indicated by a border that, although white and broad, is too difficult to immediatly sight, most of the time. Another problem is that the found cell is frequently hidden under the "Find" dialog box. Please improve the "Find" command by automatically moving the ...

Updater through Remote XML: Advice
I am implementing a very simple check routine that goes to my website and reads an XML file. The XML file basically contains all info for my apps and their current status. All I need to do is just read the version node and compare it to the current node and then advise the user to visit the website for the new version. Ive looked at ClickOnce and other methods but I would like to implement something simpler. Anyway, has anyone done this before? My XML will look something like this: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <Apps> <App id="0001" titl...

imf and SMTP
Every 2 weeks a new imf files comes via MU, after the file comes down SMTP tries to restart and hangs when stg. Looking at services and SMTP says starting and this never finishes. The only solution is to reboot the exchange server and then SMTP starts properly. Also IMF is not listed under my virtual server but does function? Thanks IMF showed up as a separate node under SMTP if you were using IMF v1. IMF v2 (part of Exchange Server 2003 SP2) removes that node and moves the functionality to enable IMF to SMTP vs properties | general | advanced | select ip address | Edit. If you are ...

remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden
When i am trying to install CRM 3.0 on SBS 2003 i got the following error Error accessing URL http://VSERVER: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden. HTTP Error 403.6 - Forbidden: IP address of the client has been rejected. any postive reply please Thanks Shakil Khan Your IIS web-site is most likely configured to only accept requests from a specific range of IP-addresses. Your computer's IP is not within that range. "Internet Protocol (IP) addresses are a useful way to define access permissions. An IP address is a unique number that identifies a computer on ...

New User Question 1 of 2
We just installed RMS (Jan 31 2005), and had LOTS of problems with the installation, due entirely to the general inept way our account was handled by the MS partner who sold us the system and (attempt to) perform the data conversion. As a result, we are out a significant amount of money and have an untrained staff. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a different partner to work with, other than the one in Portland. Thanks in advance. -- Bud Izen Hi Bud :-) Here are some ideas for you... and sorry to hear you are starting out a bit bumpy... but you will be fine. First you sh...

remote desktop and outlook pst file problem
Outlook profile is set up as a roaming profile. When connecting using terminal services or Remote desktop in XP, the message when opening outlook is: [message header = Personal Folders] The information service has not been configured. Select an existing file to configure or type the name of a new file to create. It then asks for the location or the name of the PST file. Thanks in advance. Martin ...

IMF Exchange2003
Message deleted by intelligent message filtering, but this is a legal address. User is part off AD, SCL Level is not being showd. What's going wrong? Gr. Addy On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 23:08:01 -0800, addy <addy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Message deleted by intelligent message filtering, but this is a legal address. >User is part off AD, SCL Level is not being showd. >What's going wrong? >Gr. >Addy It doesn't matter whether the user is a valid Active Directory user. If the incoming message is regarded as spam then it's pulled. How do you know about thi...

Can't connect to remote computer with Remote Assistance
When trying to access my mother’s computer using Remote Assistance I receive the following message: ”A Remote Assistance connection could not be established because the DNS name of the remote computer could not be resolved.” Both computers are running Windows XP SP3 and McAfee Anti-virus software. Both computers firewalls are set to allow Remote Assistance full access along with port 3389 enabled. I even tried to edit her IP address in the invitation, using the IP address from her internet provider, with the same results. She is e-mailing me the invitation as an attachme...

Web pages to view/modify AD users fields
Hi, does anyone knows some preconfigured web pages (ASP/ASP.NET with integrated authentication) to let each user view modify his own AD attributes (Phone, Mobile, FAX, etc.) ? Before starting developing, I'm cehcking is something already exists. Thanks. Massimo. Hello M, Try this one: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=modify+active+directory+from+web+page Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakja...

Delete/import a table from csv; wait for no users?
Hi guys, Could you please tell me if I should wait on a back end that no users are connected before re-importing a table? Basically I have csv files that I import into tables that are my libraries, or my hierarchy if you want. They have 1000 records max, but I was wondering if I can do that while users are on the db? They will mainly run queries and reports, so no record locks supposedly. For now I only trigger the import on the load event of the main form, if the ldb file is not present in the back end folder, but it means that only the first user who opens the db will be ...

which imf version do I have
I have had exchange sp2 installed and imf has been activated. I am having a lot of trouble getting it to work(have followed all links and from previous posts have had no luck). Everything has been set up correctly. I have tried to re-install exchange sp2 but it now states that the older version of imf is installed and to remove before updating. How did sp2 instal the first time. Their is nothing in the add/remove programs. How can I see the old version if it exists or is their software that can detect which version(s) are installed. (Now I am confused) You have IMF v1. Follow this to u...

can there not be mutiple users on outlook?
I am logged in on my name but when I try to send email from outlook (trying to figure out how to use it) it says its coming from my husbands email? Create separate "Identities" - check help. "AprilWhitney" <AprilWhitney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:277424BA-ED85-4350-A7DF-A34E1D8D9382@microsoft.com... >I am logged in on my name but when I try to send email from outlook (trying > to figure out how to use it) it says its coming from my husbands email? Outlook does not use Identities, it uses profiles, depending on the version and mode,...

Delete a user
How can I delete a user once all records have been re-assigned and all licenses and security roles removed? You can't remove users. ...

Archieving mail messages with IMF
I've implemented IMF with Exchange 2003. I've set my IMF properties to block UCE's on the gateway server and to have blocked messages archieved. According tothe documentation the default folder for these archieve messages is Program Files\Exchsvr\Mailroot\vs1\UCEArchieve. I do not see this fiolder. Question 1. Is this folder created by default? Question 2. How do I view messages that get archieved to this folder or do I just see details? http://bink.nu/Article3110.bink "Allen M" <ajmiyake@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:O8J2$yhOFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.ph...

printing reports to screen on Remote Desktop Connection
I've just setup a brand new terminal server running windows 2003. Everything except for reports run great. The reprrt (e.g. trial balance) itself runs quickly. When I try to scroll through the report on screen, the whole screen refreshes itself very slowly. My old terminal server (windows 2000) screen refreshes are much faster. I'm running the client on the same subnet (100 MPS). I changed the screen resolutions and color quality to low and the report still refreshes and scrolls at a snails pace, one line at a time. How can I speed this up? ...

File open by another user....
I am assisting a couple of customers who have an excel file they both edit from a server. The file is not shared and when user #1 has the file open and user #2 tries to open the file user #2 gets prompted that the file is open by another user and can only be opened read only. When user #2 has the file open and user #1 opens the file and never gets prompted. This seems to be pretty consistent. User #2 is the creator of the file but I believe should still be getting prompted to open as read only. Is there any settings in Excel that would keep from being prompted to open read only? Migh...

IMF whitlist
How do I add an IP (of sender SMTP server) to IMF whitelist? I have an SMTP server on the lan. Its IP is added in the peremiter and also on the global accept list. IMF deletes all messages coming from that server. The hot fix, Exchange2003-KB912587-x86.exe is for recipents only. A<. There is a "known" issue with that type of setup. Solution here: http://www.exchangeinbox.com/articles/018/ipacceptlist.htm cheers, Alexander Zammit WinDeveloper Software IMF Tune - Unleash the Full Intelligent Message Filter Power http://www.windeveloper.com/imftune/ "Andy Izsak" <...

share calender and contacts with other user on my computer
my wife and i use the same computer with two different accounts and i can't figure out how to share outlook's calender and contacts ...

IMF Counters
Hi is there a reason why IMF counters appears and disapears. I restart the server (a 2003 server) and they disapears, I restart the server again and they appears. They apearss only 1 time on 4. It's very wired !! Any ideas ??? Sebas ...

GAL issue
Our existing Exchange 5.5 organization consists of two different sites, each in its own NT 4.0 domain, so call that siteA and siteB in domainA and domainB for simplicity. They share a common GAL between them as you would expect and all is well. I've just installed the first Exchange 2003 server in a Windows Server 2003 AD domain (call this domainC) and placed the Exchange server into siteA. Trusts are in place between domainA and domainB (previously), between domainA and domainC (for the migration), but not yet between domainB and domainC. The problem that I see now is that GAL for use...

No Users
I find that in any picklist relating to other CRM users, there are none. For example, when I try to assign an opportunity to another user, the dialog for select user shows no other users. The same goes for territories, managers, etc.. Okay...I guess I'm new. I have to hit Go first. ...

Exchange 2003 installed SP2 now IMF is not working.
I had Exchange 2003 SP1 and installed the IMF. I heard that SP2 has the IMF bulit-in. During the SP2 install it said I had to uninstalled the old IMF, which I did. I then installed Exchange 2003 SP2, I see the tabs in the "System Manager", Global Settings, "Message Delivery" But no IMF portion under the SMTP. I tried to reinstalled the IMF but still it doesn't show up under the SMTP protocals. What am I doing wrong? Within system manager, go to protocols|smtp and select Properties, the Advanced button and then the edit button. Then select the checkbox for en...