IMF and mixed Exchange environment

I have a front end server running E2k3 and two back end
servers, one running E2k3 and the other running E2k.  Can
I install IMF without impacting mailboxes on the E2k mail
server?
0
amoon (1)

As it was described in the IMF deployment whitepaper (see
www.microsoft.com/exchange/library), IMF can implement several levels of
filters.

If you choose to apply filtering at the gateway level, it will not pass
beyond IMF and both 2k and 2k3 servers the same way.

If you choose to rely on store filtering, e2k will not understand
anything about those and let the messages into Inbox as-is, while e2k3
sp1 store will move them to junk mail folder depending on the settings
you've configured.

Net of it is that e2k mailboxes will only benefit from gateway level
filtering. Read the deployment guide, it has all these details.

HTH,

Baris.

--
---
rights.

"Andy Moon" <amoon@gc.edu> wrote in message
> I have a front end server running E2k3 and two back end
> servers, one running E2k3 and the other running E2k.  Can
> I install IMF without impacting mailboxes on the E2k mail
> server?

0
barise (94)

Exchange default gateway a problem?
I have 2 separate ISA servers I use this for fault tolerance and load balancing on the Internet I have one POP/SMTP server that is on my intranet. I have published that POP server though both ISA servers. To make the explanation of this scenario easier I’ll number the server ;ISA1, ISA2 If my Exchange server gateway is pointing to ISA1 those external clients pointing to ISA1 work but those external clients pointing to ISA2 do not. If I just change the gateway on the Exchange server to point at ISA2 than those external clients pointing to ISA2 work but the ISA1 external clients do not....

imf and SMTP
Every 2 weeks a new imf files comes via MU, after the file comes down SMTP tries to restart and hangs when stg. Looking at services and SMTP says starting and this never finishes. The only solution is to reboot the exchange server and then SMTP starts properly. Also IMF is not listed under my virtual server but does function? Thanks IMF showed up as a separate node under SMTP if you were using IMF v1. IMF v2 (part of Exchange Server 2003 SP2) removes that node and moves the functionality to enable IMF to SMTP vs properties | general | advanced | select ip address | Edit. If you are ...

Installing Exchange 2010 issue
I am going to test Exchange 2010.... I installed Server 2008 R2 on to a machine....installed all updates. Installed DNS Installed IIS During teh Install of Exchange, i get 2 problems and cannont go any further. When it is doing the "Readiness Checks" it fails on the Client Role Prerequisites" #1 Unable to read data from the MetaBase. Ensure the Microsoft Internet Information Services is installed #2 Unable to access the "Default website" on this computer Then 1 error on the Mailbox Role Prerequisites #1 Unable to read data from the MetaBa...

No Exchange Tasks in Active Directory Users and Computers
Hi I have just installed Exchange 2000 SP2 on a Win 2K system. Install seemed to go fine, AD Schema has been modified, Exchange seems to be running. However... When I go to AD users to create a new mailbox enabled user, there is no Exchage Tasks Wizard. There are no Exchange related tasks at all that I can see. If I right click a user, no Exchange related tasks in the menu, and if I look at the user properties, there are no Exchange related tabs. As this is a test setup, Exchange is actually installed on the test Domain Controller. I tried unistalling and re-installing ESM, and no joy - st...

Exchange recovery #4
Is there any way that anyone knows on how to restore Exchange 2000 from backup tapes without knowing the way the original setup was, exchange name, or exchange org name nor having a DC from AD site where the original Exchange was installed. Thanks wow, that's a tough one...how did that happen? I'm not sure there is a way...but if you have the database, I believe you can use Quest's Recovery Manager for Exchange to recover the data from the stores... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "msnews.microsoft.com" <DavidM@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message news:ub9PgYxlGHA...

Exchange 2003 IMF in a Simple Front End Back End Scenario
Exchange 2003 SP1 on both a BE server and a FE server. IMF has been downloaded and installed on the FE only. I have it set to not do any of the gateway archive/delete. I have it set to put Junk Email with a score of 8 or higher into the Junk folder. My email account is accessed via Outlook 2003 and via OWA (forms based). I have a Junk email folder in my OWA and the options are set to enable the Junk email filtering. My expectation is that the FE will assign the SCL number and then move it to the junk email folder, but when I go into OWA it is in my inbox. When I start up Outlook, it gets...

Archieving mail messages with IMF
I've implemented IMF with Exchange 2003. I've set my IMF properties to block UCE's on the gateway server and to have blocked messages archieved. According tothe documentation the default folder for these archieve messages is Program Files\Exchsvr\Mailroot\vs1\UCEArchieve. I do not see this fiolder. Question 1. Is this folder created by default? Question 2. How do I view messages that get archieved to this folder or do I just see details? http://bink.nu/Article3110.bink "Allen M" <ajmiyake@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:O8J2$yhOFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.ph...

Exchange Maintenance
Is there a best practices for exchange 2003 maintance? Should a defrag program be run on an exchange server box? Thanks Ciara -- On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 08:30:19 -0500, "NewsGr" <craig@nospam.net> wrote: >Is there a best practices for exchange 2003 maintance? Should a defrag >program be run on an exchange server box? > >Thanks > >Ciara Best practices: Good Hardware Good Admin Practices Good Monitoring Offline defrags do not qualify for any of those as part of "normal" maintenance. Just to add my $0.02...and this should be #1 on the lis...

IMF Exchange2003
Message deleted by intelligent message filtering, but this is a legal address. User is part off AD, SCL Level is not being showd. What's going wrong? Gr. Addy On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 23:08:01 -0800, addy <addy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Message deleted by intelligent message filtering, but this is a legal address. >User is part off AD, SCL Level is not being showd. >What's going wrong? >Gr. >Addy It doesn't matter whether the user is a valid Active Directory user. If the incoming message is regarded as spam then it's pulled. How do you know about thi...

all iisadmin/exchange services keep restarting
Our exchange server has some very big issues today. All IIS Admin and Exchange services (this does not include the IS...it stays running) continue to fail and restart every few minutes. I thought it might be code red II, but after doing a virus scan I came up with nothing. Any other ideas? Here is my server config: Windows 2000 server SP4. Exchange 2000 ENT SP3 with all rollups. ALL hotfixes applied. Group Shield 5.2. GFI ME 9.0. 2 XEON's. 1 GB ram. 200 gb for Stores. 201 Mailboxes. This can happen if some plugin installed on your Exchange is causing a memory exception, which term...

Exchange Distribution Groups
I have a real stupid question. I just builded an Exchange 2003 server and populated it with user accounts and created mailboxes, how do I create a allusers group that everyone could send e-mail to. And also I want that everytime a new user is created it falls under this alluser distrbution group. I kind of have an idea how to create it in Ad but not sure what the correct process is. Thanks Amador You can either use query-based DLs or just create an "All Users" group, add the existing accounts to it, and then when you want to create a new user, copy an existing user. Amador Gome...

Outlook/Exchange Error...
:confused:I have recently installed Exchange 2007 running on windows server 2008. Everything went smoothly. Our Office is using the office 2010 suite of products. When I try to add a mailbox from our exchange server, I am now getting the error...."An Encrypted connection to your mail server is not available." Then it gives me the option to try unencrypted connection, this fails also. I have check the hub transport client access connector and cannot find any options for SSL, or other encryption. After many google searchs I am still scratching my head, anyone have an...

Question about antivirus for Exchange 2003
I currently use Mcafee groupshield for exchange 5.5 and while it does block infected attachments, it still sends the email message to the user which generates alot of complaints. I am ugrading to Exchange 2003 and this time I want to get something that is a little more flexible and can block not only the attachment, but the message too. I will look into the latest Mcafee solution, but wanted to hear about the experiences of others on this NG. Thanks NH Hi Ned, I'm using McAfee GroupShield for Exchange 2003. For your information, the software still behave exactly as you mentioned in...

Outlook without Exchange Server
I am new to outlook. I am trying to find out if Outlook 2003 can be used with pier-to-pier sertup in a small office with leass than 5 employees. The functionality desired would be to be able to forward and recieve messages, tasks, appointments, share and view calendar etc. I was wondering if outlook can be used within a workgroup in a LAN setup without having exchange server. Thanks, Athiff In news:1ad6001c423e0$2a80b120$a601280a@phx.gbl, Athiff <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: || I am new to outlook. I am trying to find out if Outlook || 2003 can be used with pier-...

Exchange Resource
First off - I apologize for the double posting earlier - computer hung and wasn't sure if the first request went through :) When creating a new Exchange Resource - using the calendar function to schedule things - it seems to have a time frame when you can view what times are free for the resource. For example: I created a new resouce today. I want to schedule thing to it for the next few months. From today through Oct 31 I can view anything that's been scheduled - on Nov 1, there's a white bar with lines through it preventing me to view anything that's been sched...

Exchange 2003 Issues #2
All: I posted a little while ago with a question about a potential problem with recipient update service and now I am not so sure this is the source of the problem. Here is what's going on: When I create a new user account and mailbox, nothing is being inheritted by the new account. The email recipient policy is not filtering to the new account nor is any permissions to the mailbox other than SELF. If I manually set permissions according to a woeking mailbox, everything is fine EXCEPT, the name is not appearing in the GAL. I have increased logging on the Exchange Box and am gettin...

configuring news groups in exchange 5.5
Hi can anyone help me in configuring news group in exchange5.5? I am not sure whether exchange5.5 will support this or not? kindly help me... thanks gajanan Are you talking about distribution groups? "gajanan" <gmpai2003@yahoo.co.in> wrote in message news:1024901c43f1b$f53cdcd0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Hi > > can anyone help me in configuring news group in > exchange5.5? > > I am not sure whether exchange5.5 will support this or not? > kindly help me... > > thanks > gajanan ...

which imf version do I have
I have had exchange sp2 installed and imf has been activated. I am having a lot of trouble getting it to work(have followed all links and from previous posts have had no luck). Everything has been set up correctly. I have tried to re-install exchange sp2 but it now states that the older version of imf is installed and to remove before updating. How did sp2 instal the first time. Their is nothing in the add/remove programs. How can I see the old version if it exists or is their software that can detect which version(s) are installed. (Now I am confused) You have IMF v1. Follow this to u...

IMF whitlist
How do I add an IP (of sender SMTP server) to IMF whitelist? I have an SMTP server on the lan. Its IP is added in the peremiter and also on the global accept list. IMF deletes all messages coming from that server. The hot fix, Exchange2003-KB912587-x86.exe is for recipents only. A<. There is a "known" issue with that type of setup. Solution here: http://www.exchangeinbox.com/articles/018/ipacceptlist.htm cheers, Alexander Zammit WinDeveloper Software IMF Tune - Unleash the Full Intelligent Message Filter Power http://www.windeveloper.com/imftune/ "Andy Izsak" <...

Exchange forensics #2
Greetings, Does anyone have any suggestions about how to approach forensics with Exchange server? I'd like to be able to find out everything about a user's email traffic over a certain period, including deleted email that hasn't been purged, etc. Any free or nearly free tools, etc.? Thanks, Fred Not so easy to do without having implemented things in advance like Message Journaling and Message Tracking. Hard to go back in time. Journaling with Exchange Server 2003 http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/journaling.mspx "DoA User" ...

change OWA URL from http://servername/exchange to http://servername/webmail/exchange
Hi all, Because we want to use OWA (Exch 2003) on our extranet (e.g. extranet.domain.com) which next to OWA has to serve other websites (apache, tomcat, other iis) we want to add a directory to the exchange url, so at the firewall (which hosts the proxy server it's clear which server to choose even a second owa (the old 5.5)). We can do do this for the exchange virtual directory but have to setup this also for the other virtual dirs:exchweb, contents, public etc. Is their a simple (or hard) way to slip in a directory in the url ? Regards, Laurens On 31 Mar 2006 00:58:06 -0800, "L...

Exchange 2000 CPU 100%???
I have a Windows 2000 Server running Exchange 2000 SP3. The CPU is running at 100%. I have updated the Server to its full amount and updated Exchange to its full amount, but to no avail, the server remains at 100%. Each time we reboot the server, the store.exe will not go to 100% until a few minutes or maybe hours. What could this problem be? Specs on Server 1.3Ghz 1GB Ram 40GB Hard Drive (Raid 5 configuration) Windows 2000 Server Software running on machine Windows 2000 Server Exchange 2000 Just a wild guess, but have you applied the E2K Post SP3 rollup fixes? http://www.microsoft.com...

Outlook 2003 and Exchange server 2000
I just upgraded to Office 2003 and Outlook will not logon to my Exchange server. It keeps asking me my user name and password that I enter as usual but nothing happens and it just keeps on asking me the password without giving me any other error message that would indicate where the problem may be. Has anyone experienced this? did you create a new profile? if not, try a new profile. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Search for answers...

Using Exchange 2003 features in a mixed mode w/ Exchange 2000 with
Hi Group, I'm researching to find out is it possible to keep my user's email accounts using IM on Exchange 2000 and add Exchange 2003 to use the new features? Since IM was removed from Exchange 2003, when I create a new user I must choose between E2K or E2K3 servers, so whatever server I choose i will use those features. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks Dave You can have the user's mailbox on a 2003 server and have htier IM virtual server be on a 2k server... -- --Brian Desmond Windows Server MVP desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us www.briandesmond.com "dpcrensh...

CRM 3.0 with Exchange 2007
We are currently on CRM 3.0 and Exchange 2003 utilizing the email router. We plan on upgrading to Exchange 2007, but remain on CRM 3.0. Everything I have been reading informs me that CRM 3.0 email router cannot be installed on Exchange 2007 and must remain on Exchange 2000/2003 (I understand you can use the hotfix for forwarding rules, etc... to Exchange 2007). With the release of CRM 4.0, and forgive me if this is a silly question, could we install the CRM 4.0 email router on Exchange 2007 (so we can get rid of our Exchange 2003 server) and still be able to use it with our CRM 3.0 i...