IMAP4 configuration

I need to allow my users to retrieve their mail from my Exchange server while
they are away from the office. I have OWA working right now for web-based
email, but I am considering stopping that and only using IMAP4 because many
of my users have only dial-up access at their homes, and it takes too long
for them to connect via OWA. The main people complaining about the currect
situation are the executive director and program director, so I'd like to do
what I can to keep them happy. However, I need to know how to access the
Exchange mailboxes from outside the network. I have tried several times using
IMAP4 from my computer at home, and it makes a connection with the server,
but the connection always times out when I try to download folders and mail.
The IMAP4 virtual server is running, and each user in active directory has
IMAP4 protocol enabled. We are running Exchange server 6.5.7226.0. The
server is behind a firewall with ports 25, 143, and 443 open. The
firewall also performs NAT, but the open ports are forwarded to the Exchange
server. Any ideas?

0
Jedi10180 (18)

My initial thoughts are that I would recommend looking into RPC/HTTPs
instead of IMAP.  If those who travel bring laptops with them, then this
would be the ideal solution.  RPC/HTTPs would allow them to connect using
their main Outlook client (Outlook 2003), and would give them access to all
historical e-mail as well (Outlook 2003 cached mode is recommended).

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Jedi10180" <Jedi10180@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to allow my users to retrieve their mail from my Exchange server
>while
> they are away from the office. I have OWA working right now for web-based
> email, but I am considering stopping that and only using IMAP4 because
> many
> of my users have only dial-up access at their homes, and it takes too long
> for them to connect via OWA. The main people complaining about the currect
> situation are the executive director and program director, so I'd like to
> do
> what I can to keep them happy. However, I need to know how to access the
> Exchange mailboxes from outside the network. I have tried several times
> using
> IMAP4 from my computer at home, and it makes a connection with the server,
> but the connection always times out when I try to download folders and
> mail.
> The IMAP4 virtual server is running, and each user in active directory has
> IMAP4 protocol enabled. We are running Exchange server 6.5.7226.0. The
> server is behind a firewall with ports 25, 143, and 443 open. The
> firewall also performs NAT, but the open ports are forwarded to the
> Exchange
> server. Any ideas?

0
Ben
4/21/2005 4:16:30 PM
That sounds like the right functionality. Can you point me toward an article
that might explain how to set this up?

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> My initial thoughts are that I would recommend looking into RPC/HTTPs
> instead of IMAP.  If those who travel bring laptops with them, then this
> would be the ideal solution.  RPC/HTTPs would allow them to connect using
> their main Outlook client (Outlook 2003), and would give them access to all
> historical e-mail as well (Outlook 2003 cached mode is recommended).
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
>

> "Jedi10180" <Jedi10180@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I need to allow my users to retrieve their mail from my Exchange server
> >while
> > they are away from the office. I have OWA working right now for web-based
> > email, but I am considering stopping that and only using IMAP4 because
> > many
> > of my users have only dial-up access at their homes, and it takes too long
> > for them to connect via OWA. The main people complaining about the currect
> > situation are the executive director and program director, so I'd like to
> > do
> > what I can to keep them happy. However, I need to know how to access the
> > Exchange mailboxes from outside the network. I have tried several times
> > using
> > IMAP4 from my computer at home, and it makes a connection with the server,
> > but the connection always times out when I try to download folders and
> > mail.
> > The IMAP4 virtual server is running, and each user in active directory has
> > IMAP4 protocol enabled. We are running Exchange server 6.5.7226.0. The
> > server is behind a firewall with ports 25, 143, and 443 open. The
> > firewall also performs NAT, but the open ports are forwarded to the
> > Exchange
> > server. Any ideas?

0
Jedi10180 (18)
4/21/2005 6:10:06 PM
There are tons and tons of resources relating to this.  First thing I would
do is make sure you have Exchange 2003 SP1 deployed.  It makes RPC/HTTP
deployment tons easier.  Also, you need to make sure that any GC's that
Exchange talks to are running Windows 2003.  You then have to install the
RPC Proxy service on at least one server - typically your FE server (if you
have one) or on another Windows 2003 Server if not.  The following tutorial
should help, but there are also some other links as well.  The second link
is the Microsoft deployment guide.
http://msexchange.org/tutorials/Outlook_2003_Connect_Exchange_2003.html
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/E2k3RPCHTTPDep/1583ab17-f7d1-41c1-ba52-37ec276e3644.mspx -
there is a section about single server configuration as well.

--

> That sounds like the right functionality. Can you point me toward an
> article
> that might explain how to set this up?
>
> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
>
>> My initial thoughts are that I would recommend looking into RPC/HTTPs
>> instead of IMAP.  If those who travel bring laptops with them, then this
>> would be the ideal solution.  RPC/HTTPs would allow them to connect using
>> their main Outlook client (Outlook 2003), and would give them access to
>> all
>> historical e-mail as well (Outlook 2003 cached mode is recommended).
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>>

>> "Jedi10180" <Jedi10180@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I need to allow my users to retrieve their mail from my Exchange server
>> >while
>> > they are away from the office. I have OWA working right now for
>> > web-based
>> > email, but I am considering stopping that and only using IMAP4 because
>> > many
>> > of my users have only dial-up access at their homes, and it takes too
>> > long
>> > for them to connect via OWA. The main people complaining about the
>> > currect
>> > situation are the executive director and program director, so I'd like
>> > do
>> > what I can to keep them happy. However, I need to know how to access
>> > the
>> > Exchange mailboxes from outside the network. I have tried several times
>> > using
>> > IMAP4 from my computer at home, and it makes a connection with the
>> > server,
>> > but the connection always times out when I try to download folders and
>> > mail.
>> > The IMAP4 virtual server is running, and each user in active directory
>> > has
>> > IMAP4 protocol enabled. We are running Exchange server 6.5.7226.0. The
>> > server is behind a firewall with ports 25, 143, and 443 open. The
>> > firewall also performs NAT, but the open ports are forwarded to the
>> > Exchange
>> > server. Any ideas?

0
Ben
4/21/2005 6:50:11 PM
I may still play around with this, but most of my clients won't be able to do
this because it requires Outlook 2003, and most of them don't have that at
home - we work for a non-profit organization and don't get the highest pay
rates. Any ideas regarding IMAP? Thanks so much.

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> There are tons and tons of resources relating to this.  First thing I would
> do is make sure you have Exchange 2003 SP1 deployed.  It makes RPC/HTTP
> deployment tons easier.  Also, you need to make sure that any GC's that
> Exchange talks to are running Windows 2003.  You then have to install the
> RPC Proxy service on at least one server - typically your FE server (if you
> have one) or on another Windows 2003 Server if not.  The following tutorial
> should help, but there are also some other links as well.  The second link
> is the Microsoft deployment guide.
> http://msexchange.org/tutorials/Outlook_2003_Connect_Exchange_2003.html
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/E2k3RPCHTTPDep/1583ab17-f7d1-41c1-ba52-37ec276e3644.mspx -
> there is a section about single server configuration as well.
>

> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
>

> "Jedi10180" <Jedi10180@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > That sounds like the right functionality. Can you point me toward an
> > article
> > that might explain how to set this up?
> >
> > "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> My initial thoughts are that I would recommend looking into RPC/HTTPs
> >> instead of IMAP.  If those who travel bring laptops with them, then this
> >> would be the ideal solution.  RPC/HTTPs would allow them to connect using
> >> their main Outlook client (Outlook 2003), and would give them access to
> >> all
> >> historical e-mail as well (Outlook 2003 cached mode is recommended).
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ben Winzenz
> >> Exchange MVP
> >> MessageOne
> >>

> >> "Jedi10180" <Jedi10180@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Jedi10180 (18)

configuring publlic folder appointment items
Is it possible to configure a public folder that contains appointment items so that entries cannot overlap? i.e. I want to use a public folder for the booking out of a meeting room and if I tick the box for "All Day Event" then I would like it so no one can make another entry for that day - or if some one books it 9 to 11 then no one else should be able to book it for the same time frame am I making sense? No, that's one of the limitations of using a pf as a resource, can't automatically decline, no free busy etc. James Chong (MVP) MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+ msexch...

configurator
Has anyone used the Experlogix Configurator product on CRM? What is opinion of it? Looking to implement it in 06 after upgrading to 3.0. Thanks Hey Wes, My client is in the final stages of implementing Experlogix Configurator on CRM 1.2. They have been extremely happy with both the product and the support. (They have been doing two integration projects at once, and the other 3rd party vendor did not deliver on time, and the client is NOT at all happy with them, so they know the difference...) Experlogix is a lot cheaper than some of the other 3rd party add-ons that do multi-currency an...

OMA problem on configuration
We run exchange on its own server. Outlook web access works great. However when I try to access http://server/oma I have always gotten: "Your account is not setup for wireless access please contact the administrator." I have checked the indiviudal user settings and they are set for OMA enabled. I have disabled and renabled them we have SP1. This is a vanilla install and we haven't done anything special. What am I missing or should I check? Is it necessary to browse the page from a mobile phone. Shouldn't I be able to browse the OMA dir from the server itself? http:/...

Sender Filter not configuring
I have set sender filtering on my SBS2003 exchange server and enabled it in the smtp virtual server but mail is still arriving from the domains that I have set to block. I am using a smart host (ISP's mail server) to collect my mail from. Could this be the reason why the filter is not working?? Any Ideas Many Thanks Peter (MCSE W2k) ...

POP3 & IMAP4 services #2
Hi there, I got problems on starting POP3 & IMAP4 services. Recently they cannot be start after my exchange server restarts. At the beginning, POP3 cannot be start automatically, later it's IMAP4. After I can start them manually after the server has been completely started, I check event viewer, I found the server did try to start IMAP4, but got error "An error occurred while starting the Microsoft Exchange IMAP4 Service: server instance number 1 failed to start with error 0x80040a01." At the same time, an event also there, "Microsoft Exchange IMAP4 Service (Build...

IMAP4 configuration
I need to allow my users to retrieve their mail from my Exchange server while they are away from the office. I have OWA working right now for web-based email, but I am considering stopping that and only using IMAP4 because many of my users have only dial-up access at their homes, and it takes too long for them to connect via OWA. The main people complaining about the currect situation are the executive director and program director, so I'd like to do what I can to keep them happy. However, I need to know how to access the Exchange mailboxes from outside the network. I have tried sev...

How do I configure a reminder for attachment passwords?
My company sends attachments (office files) to clients via the internet. They usually password protect these files. Is there anyway to have outlook tell the user that the attachment does not have a password? Sometimes they forget to put the password on the attachment... Thanks, J.R. You would have to write code to do that. Your code would have to intercept the AttachmentAdd event for an open item, check the original item that is being attached by opening it from the file system as a file of the specified type, for example Word doc. Then it would have to use the Word object model to chec...

Programmatically report the configuration of Windows 2008 granular audit settings
I'm trying to read how the granular audit sub-category settings in Windows 2008 like Logon/Logoff=96Special Logon, Policy Change=96Audit Policy Change etc. are configured on a machine & write this to a .csv file report Is there a way to do this programmatically? For instance, read a certain file or registry values for each sub-category setting? I've read on how to use auditpol.exe & wEvtUtil.exe at the command prompt ...

device configuration via PowerShell
A while ago I asked about setting some pointer device related configuration via PowerShell (specifically the SnapToDefaultButton property). My effort to allow PowerShell to assist me in doing that stalled out at the point where I can tweak the Registry setting associated with SnapToDefaultButton using PowerShell, but that afterwards it requires a reboot of the workstation to get it be effective. Setting that value via Control Panel does not require the reboot. Now I'm wondering what Control Panel does that I'm not doing via PowerShell. I think it must be interactin...

Configure
How can I configure Microsoft Outlook and hotmail. What version of Outlook? http://www.slipstick.com/config/ol2000hotmail.htm -- ~jason k please reply in group. emails directly to me will be printed and laughed at in the breakroom "daisyrichardson@hotmail.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:007e01c3cfbf$fd35a3c0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > How can I configure Microsoft Outlook and hotmail. ...

IMAP4
I am currently running Exchange 2003 Standard Edition on a Windpws 2000 platform. Does anyone have an idea why I cannot start the IMAP4 servives in the System Manager Thank You Look in App Event log for clues. Thomas White wrote: > I am currently running Exchange 2003 Standard Edition on a Windpws 2000 > platform. Does anyone have an idea why I cannot start the IMAP4 servives in > the System Manager > > Thank You > > -- Help fight spam - designate sending servers for your domain. http://spf.pobox.com Probably because the service is disabled? "Thomas ...

Mfg BOM for configured item
I am trying to setup a configured item in Great Plains 8.0 After setting up the superBOM and routing, when I try to create a configured BOM, the system tells me that I need to create a Mfg BOM and do a cost rollup before creating a configured BOM. Costing is FIFO perpetual. a. For a configured item, do I need to create a mfg BOM. If so, what is the logic here. Where is this explained in the documentation. Please provide page numbers and name of document. b. How do I calculate standard cost for the configured item. c. When I run the BOM report (reports-manufacturing-BOM), the report han...

How do i configure Outlook 2007 for Gmail?
I was setting up my Outlook 2007 account on Vista to work with my Gmail account but it would not connect to the server after multiple attempts in every way I could find. Munaf wrote: > I was setting up my Outlook 2007 account on Vista to work with my Gmail > account but it would not connect to the server after multiple attempts in > every way I could find. Have you gone through the setup in Google settings? http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?ctx=%67mail&hl=en_GB&answer=10350 Since Outlook 2007 is not listed, try the settings for 2003. You have to select ser...

Business Portal 3.0 and IIS Configuration
Does anyone know how to configure IIS so that users connect to www.BPSITE.com insetad of www.BPSITE.com/Sites/BusinessPoratl? Bill, You can allow a redirection in a couple ways. #1. you can use a dns entry to accomplish this. #2 you can setup a redirection in IIS by creating a new website and setting up IIS to point to that website when launching. Thanks -- Jake Bastien Manager of Advanced Technology Services Rose Business Solutions, Inc. www.rosebizinc.com www.roseasp.com "Bill" wrote: > Does anyone know how to configure IIS so that users connect to www.BPSITE.com &...

POP3 or IMAP4
I need to allow my users to retrieve their mail from my Exchange server while they are away from the office. I have OWA working right now for web-base email, but I am considering stopping that and only using either POP3 or IMAP4. However, I need to know how to access the Exchange mailboxes from outside the network. I have tried several times using both POP3 and IMAP4 from my computer at home, and it makes a connection with the server, but the connection always times out when I try to download mail. The POP3 and IMAP4 virtual servers are both running, and each user in active directory ha...

How do I know I am in a debug configuration
I thought there was a property that let's me know when I am in a debug configuration, instead of a Release Configuration. I need it because I want to use a test database in debug, but a real database in release. Is there such a property? I tried System.Diagnostic.debugger.IsAttached, but that seems to be something different. Dom wrote: > I thought there was a property that let's me know when I am in a debug > configuration, instead of a Release Configuration. I need it because > I want to use a test database in debug, but a real database in > release. I ...

Configure Crystal ActiveX Report Viewer Control 10.0
Hello, I have to include an crystal report in a form, but i don't how to configure this control, i reviewed help i couldn't find it. Thanks for your help ...

Configuring Outlook for corporate or workgroups
The office assistant says to change in outlook tools 'Mail Service' but I don't have this option - any ideas why not? Version 2000SR1 9.0.03821 No emails .. First, you should state why you need to change mail support modes so we can see if you really need to. The Office Assistant may not be correct. "No email" mode is the same as "Internet Mail Only" mode only with no email accounts configured. For information on choosing a mail support mode or changing to the other mail support mode, look here: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/choosingmode.htm -- Russ Va...

Can DPM be configured to log events to a remote syslog server?
I see that I can use Microsoft's MOM to publish alerts, but is there a way to send them to a syslog server? Thanks, Phillip Datagram's SyslogAgent can be used to forward Windows system events to a Syslog server. And it's free. http://syslogserver.com/syslogagent.html Daniel "Phillip Wendell" wrote: > I see that I can use Microsoft's MOM to publish alerts, but is there a > way to send them to a syslog server? Thanks, > > Phillip > . > Looks like a good solution. Thanks... ...

Configuring Excel for my pictures, not My Pictures....How
1/16/04 Excel defaults to Common Pictures(My Pictures) to Inserting Images From File. Word lets you this folder's location in Options| File Locations. I've tried doing this for Excel, unsuccessfully, by changing the location of Common Pictures in the Registry; in WinXP, in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders & Explorer\ShellFolders. I've made those changes in HKCU, also. I've changed the location of my Favorites doing this. However, each time I make the changes. The paths revert back to the location of Common Pictures in the My Docum...

Configuration
Hello, I just installed Office 7 Home and Student and every time I open Word it says that it has to Configure the program. It doesn't do that with the other programs and it is getting tiresome because it takes a few minutes. Has anyone else had this problem or have some suggestions? Thanks! Jenn Jenn To correct the issue do the following Uninstall Office H&S 2007 along with the Activation Assistant and then re-install it making sure you are not multitasking while the installation takes place. Reboot after installation -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup fo...

IMAP4
I'm not able to connect to my ISP IMAP4 server on its SSL 993 port. All my ISP advised settings are correct, rechecked and re-entered. Now I have read here http://www.petri.co.il/forums/showthread.php?t=4636 posted by danielp MVP that a computer certificate has to be installed on the server. Assuming that my ISP has done this should that certificate be seen in my WLM beta security settings? regards You don't normally see Server certificates in your mail program. Same goes for secure web sites in the browser. You install certificates to encrypt/sign send...

cannot open outlook. profile not configured
i did not configure it correctly, so now it wont open at all. how do i reconfigure and get it to open? then, once i do have it open, how do i configure properly, in order to avoid this? thank you very much, momkoz Use the mail applet in the control panel to configure an Outlook profile. The bare minimum needed to get Outlook started is a personal folders (pst) file. "momkoz" <momkoz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2F5AE8BF-70E3-40C8-894F-046A7423EF40@microsoft.com... >i did not configure it correctly, so now it wont open at all. how do i > reconfig...

Configuration Problem
I have set up a new e-mail account, and I keep getting a pop up message that says enter name and password. I have entered, and re-entered, the information, but it is not responding, and I cannot receive emails. Help!! Password error, you wrote on Thu, 29 Jan 2009 15:19:01 -0800: > I have set up a new e-mail account, and I keep getting a pop up message that > says enter name and password. I have entered, and re-entered, the > information, but it is not responding, and I cannot receive emails. Help!! Outlook and Windows version? See, if following does help: http://support.mic...

How do I configure Outlook 2003 with MSN e-mail
I had to wipe the hard drive on the pc in my living room (teenagers) and now cant get my e-mail thru outlook. I have had the msn acct for 10yrs and use it. It worked 48hrs ago but now I dont know how to configure it and I have tried a few microsoft answers ANY HELP will be much appreciated -- william http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287604 "wmelucci" <wmelucci@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:041BB41E-54A1-4B33-B573-54E70810192C@microsoft.com... > I had to wipe the hard drive on the pc in my living room (teenagers) and > now > cant...