IMAP access from MAC's to Exchange 2000

Guys a question for you re IMAP.

We have a server (Exchange 2000 sp3 August 2004 Post SP3 Roll-UP with
mirrored 36.gb disks and 2Gb of ram) in our org in a site with around local
30-40 clients. About 5-10 of these are Mac's.

When the mac clients access their email (via IMAP using mail.app) the server
performance falls through the floor. If the Mac's access their mail any
other way all appears to be fine. I am in the process of trying Entourage
2004 on their machines but as this is a pay for client they are reluctant to
spend the cash when they have a free mail client built into the OS.

I have run performance monitors on this server and when I look at the
physical disk read/write queue length (scale set to 10) I can see as soon as
one of the Mac's sync the levels go from around 1-2 to over 30 and sometimes
even over the 70-80 mark. When this happens the PC users the get the
"Requesting Data from server" outlook message and as they are using Outlook
2002 they then cannot do anything. If we stop the IMAP service all returns
to normal.

One thing I have noticed though and wondered if someone could explain is
that when I look in exchange system manager under the IMAP default virtual
server current sessions I see the clients end up with multiple current
sessions, why is this ? Surely there should really only be one session if
they are logged on from one MAC and nowhere else ?

We have not configured anything odd, just started IMAP service and left at
defaults. We have been looking at this for a while and it is now driving us
mad !

Any help or advice on where to go (other than to upgrade to Entourage) would
be most appreciated.

Cheers
Marc Cronin

0
user8785 (2)

I believe that a license for Entourage is included with your Exchange CAL,
just as they've done with Outlook on the Windows side.  You might want to
check this out.

-GT
"MCUser" <user@spam.com> wrote in message
> Guys a question for you re IMAP.
>
> We have a server (Exchange 2000 sp3 August 2004 Post SP3 Roll-UP with
> mirrored 36.gb disks and 2Gb of ram) in our org in a site with around
> local 30-40 clients. About 5-10 of these are Mac's.
>
> When the mac clients access their email (via IMAP using mail.app) the
> server performance falls through the floor. If the Mac's access their mail
> any other way all appears to be fine. I am in the process of trying
> Entourage 2004 on their machines but as this is a pay for client they are
> reluctant to spend the cash when they have a free mail client built into
> the OS.
>
> I have run performance monitors on this server and when I look at the
> physical disk read/write queue length (scale set to 10) I can see as soon
> as one of the Mac's sync the levels go from around 1-2 to over 30 and
> sometimes even over the 70-80 mark. When this happens the PC users the get
> the "Requesting Data from server" outlook message and as they are using
> Outlook 2002 they then cannot do anything. If we stop the IMAP service all
> returns to normal.
>
> One thing I have noticed though and wondered if someone could explain is
> that when I look in exchange system manager under the IMAP default virtual
> server current sessions I see the clients end up with multiple current
> sessions, why is this ? Surely there should really only be one session if
> they are logged on from one MAC and nowhere else ?
>
> We have not configured anything odd, just started IMAP service and left at
> defaults. We have been looking at this for a while and it is now driving
> us mad !
>
> Any help or advice on where to go (other than to upgrade to Entourage)
> would be most appreciated.
>
> Cheers
> Marc Cronin

0
GT
4/1/2005 11:30:42 AM
Only if you have Exchange 2003 CAL's I do not as I have Exchange 2000

"GT" <DSS4u@+++nospam+++HOTMAIL.COM> wrote in message
>I believe that a license for Entourage is included with your Exchange CAL,
>just as they've done with Outlook on the Windows side.  You might want to
>check this out.
>
> -GT
> "MCUser" <user@spam.com> wrote in message
>> Guys a question for you re IMAP.
>>
>> We have a server (Exchange 2000 sp3 August 2004 Post SP3 Roll-UP with
>> mirrored 36.gb disks and 2Gb of ram) in our org in a site with around
>> local 30-40 clients. About 5-10 of these are Mac's.
>>
>> When the mac clients access their email (via IMAP using mail.app) the
>> server performance falls through the floor. If the Mac's access their
>> mail any other way all appears to be fine. I am in the process of trying
>> Entourage 2004 on their machines but as this is a pay for client they are
>> reluctant to spend the cash when they have a free mail client built into
>> the OS.
>>
>> I have run performance monitors on this server and when I look at the
>> physical disk read/write queue length (scale set to 10) I can see as soon
>> as one of the Mac's sync the levels go from around 1-2 to over 30 and
>> sometimes even over the 70-80 mark. When this happens the PC users the
>> get the "Requesting Data from server" outlook message and as they are
>> using Outlook 2002 they then cannot do anything. If we stop the IMAP
>> service all returns to normal.
>>
>> One thing I have noticed though and wondered if someone could explain is
>> that when I look in exchange system manager under the IMAP default
>> virtual server current sessions I see the clients end up with multiple
>> current sessions, why is this ? Surely there should really only be one
>> session if they are logged on from one MAC and nowhere else ?
>>
>> We have not configured anything odd, just started IMAP service and left
>> at defaults. We have been looking at this for a while and it is now
>> driving us mad !
>>
>> Any help or advice on where to go (other than to upgrade to Entourage)
>> would be most appreciated.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Marc Cronin

0
user8785 (2)

IMAP
Hi, I would like to enable IMAP to my Exch2003 server, but the service is not there. How do I install IMAP4 ? Thnaks. Matt On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 15:50:51 -0800, matt wrote: > I would like to enable IMAP to my Exch2003 server, but the > service is not there. > > How do I install IMAP4 ? Well IMAP4 is there, the service is just disabled per default. You will need to enable and start in under Services. (Microsoft Exchange IMAP). Regards -- Henrik Walther http://exchange-faq.dk ...

strange imap connection problems
My imap connections seem to be flaky (only imap, pop3 is fine) the first time i load outlook and send/recieve it works fine. then every time after that my machine fails on the dns lookup of the mail server. (even nslookup in console fails) any ideas whats causing this? cheers, -ciaron ...

Access behaves differently in different environments
The following function has an error in it. There is no column called "Comment" in the table "tblScores." But in my XP 2003 Pro/Access 2003 environment, control is never transferred to the error handler. Instead, the function just returns an empty string. In a Windows 2000 environment, control does go to the error handler, but the error is "<database name> can't find the field Forms referred to in your expression." Not very helpful. But the 2000 environment at least is recognizing that an error occurred. The database is created in the 2003 e...

Cannot startup "Exchange Information Store"
Hi ALL, We cannot start "Exchange Information Store",The event ID is 101 in event log."Server cannot add the virtual root '/Exchange' for the directory 'M:\abc.com.hk\MBX" due to following error,The system cannot find the path specified." The error you included relates to IIS directly (specifically, OWA). What happens when you try and start the Information Store Service? Have you made sure that Exchange can contact a Global Catalog server? -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne "TONY" <TONY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrot...

How to automate access from cmd.exe?
I would like to automate some testing procedures via a bat file for cmd.exe (or a bash script using cygwin). How can I automate (1) The creation of a MSAccess database? (2) the population of that database with XML that contains the data and the table definitions (3) dumping the table contents of the tables and the table defintions back to a XML file? Incidently, this next question is off topic but I really don't know where to look. Is there a news group from cmd.exe? Here is the question: in bash I can do this: myprogram.exe <<EOF data goes here to be read as stdin by my progr...

How to add wave in Access?
What I want to do is to read a wave file in the disk and then get what the wave file contains into Access. And the class that connects to Access is CRecordset. How to realize it? I've never done this but I guess you'll need a BLOB (Binary Large Object). They're normally used for storing image files, but should work just as well with a wave one. HTH Paul. ...

Download Free Church Information System , built in MS Access
Download Free Church Information System , built in MS Access , its in the ATTACHMENTS , after registering it will appear : http://access-forum.com/plus/viewtopic.php?t=189 Enjoyt ... ...

Publisher and Access
Through trial and error, I can get our newsletter mail merge done. However there must be some simple instructions out there somewhere. My basic problem is I do not understand the various types of data sources. I browse for a data source and come up with six or eight technical names. I find that clicking on jet 4 lets me get into the access data base, but that was just a lucky guess. Is there any basic information that could help me? Publisher lists are Access databases, in Office 2002-03 they are stored in "My Documents", "My Data Sources" with a .mdb extension. E...

Outlook access to mail servers blocked
For last two days I suddently been unable to down load any email via either my talk tal broadband or my vodaphone mobile connection the message i get is the same across 5 different POP3 servers Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).' past post suggest the firewalls but had tried disabling them and its still the same - i know there is mail as i have it on my balckberry account - any ideas folks? I am r...

Question about antivirus for Exchange 2003
I currently use Mcafee groupshield for exchange 5.5 and while it does block infected attachments, it still sends the email message to the user which generates alot of complaints. I am ugrading to Exchange 2003 and this time I want to get something that is a little more flexible and can block not only the attachment, but the message too. I will look into the latest Mcafee solution, but wanted to hear about the experiences of others on this NG. Thanks NH Hi Ned, I'm using McAfee GroupShield for Exchange 2003. For your information, the software still behave exactly as you mentioned in...

Outlook without Exchange Server
I am new to outlook. I am trying to find out if Outlook 2003 can be used with pier-to-pier sertup in a small office with leass than 5 employees. The functionality desired would be to be able to forward and recieve messages, tasks, appointments, share and view calendar etc. I was wondering if outlook can be used within a workgroup in a LAN setup without having exchange server. Thanks, Athiff In news:1ad6001c423e0$2a80b120$a601280a@phx.gbl, Athiff <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: || I am new to outlook. I am trying to find out if Outlook || 2003 can be used with pier-...

Access 2007 interface, modifications?
Hi, I'm just learning Access (using 2007) and one thing that troubles me a bit (aside from learning sub-queries) is "menu-system" in Access. In fact, even if I use a "custom menu, with sub-groups" it feels cluttered. 1. One thing that would really help would be if I could use more than 1 level in menu, that is, a second or even third would allow me to hide a lot of objects (tables, queries and forms). Does anyone know if that's doable? 2. If anyone of you has some other tips on how to make the working (developer) interface more efficient I'm all ears! :&...

Setting Gmail IMAP
I previously used Gmail as POP but I have just changed it to IMAP so that I can keep my PC (WLM), my iPhone and my webmail all in sync. Now I need some advice. 1. In addition to my inbox,sent etc folders I also have a folder called All Mail that indeed contains all messages I have ever sent or received. It is therefore very big. How can I stop that folder showing up in WLM? 2. When I delete items in WLM the are not going to the Bin (deleted folder) They just vanish. The deleted folder is a useful facility as at times I may accidently click to delete the wrong message. How c...

Vista and Access
I am running Windows Vista Ultimate. I have Office 2003 w/ SP3 installed. I am running into an error. Please consider the following scenario. Sometimes when I shut down Access 2003 then try to reopen Access the system simply sits there and nothing happens. I go to Task Manager and see MSACCESS.EXE *32 is still running. I can terminate the program by selecting MSACCESS.EXE *32 and selecting End Process. Then I retry opening Access and everything works fine. Is there a fix for this issue? -- Robert J H You might try a hotfix which is offered by Microsoft, post SP3: http://support.m...

Restrict inbound Internet email to a group of users on Exchange 20
What is the easiest way to restrict a large group of users from receiving email from non-authenticated users. I know there is a checkbox setting that allows me to configure this on a per user basis, but how do I change this for 1000 users at one time. Our company policies have recently changed, and managemnt wants most users to only be able to send and receive emails from authenticated users. I already have the send portion configured using a connector, but how do I do restrict receiving? Thanks. Create a new Recipient Policy and assign them email addresses for an internal or non-...

Exchange 2000 DST. What breaks?
I've looked around quite a bit and all I can find out about what is affected by the Exchange 2000 CDO patch is "OWA, Blackberry, and some other CDO stuff". Very non-specific about what the issues really are. Here's my dilemma. I have mostly Exchange 2000 servers, and Windows 2000/Outlook 2000 clients. I work for a state agency, and our purchasing cycle is not fast enough to get us the Exchange 2000 CDO patch before 3/11. We have our plan together to update the time zones on all of the servers and workstations by next weekend, and then run the Exchange calendar upda...

Outlook RPC Troubleshooting Exchange 2003
- If this is not the correct area to post this question, please let me know and I will head elsewhere - I have a client with SBS2003, and several client notebooks happily running Outlook 2003 via RPC over HTTP. One particular machine which was also working happily with User A has been handed to User B, and no matter what I try I can't get Outlook over the Internet to work. As others are working OK, I believe the server side is set up correctly. I have deleted and reinstalled the Security Certificate, added the RPC registry keys under HK Local User because they did not exist ...

Beta testing for Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac
Is there any beta testing available for 2008? And if so, how do I go about joining it? Su In article <1174344754.903331.25630@l75g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, sukisu.knight@googlemail.com wrote: > Is there any beta testing available for 2008? And if so, how do I go > about joining it? MacBU hasn't announced any public beta testing for Office 2008, and hasn't generally done public beta testing for MacOffice. If they do so, I suspect they'll announce it on mactopia.com MacBU has announced a public beta of the new Office file format converters, scheduled to ship ...

imap
Hello All, I have win2k SBS server providing email for about 20 users. Their internet connection, to the office where the exchange server lives, is 512k guaranteed up and down I believe. The clients that have desktops are set up as exchnage clients via Outlook 2k and XP. The laptop users are set up as imap clients via outlook because they will be using a dial up connection most of the time on the road or away from the office. My problem starts when an imap client's mail box gets over 100mb and then they start to get time out issues even if they have a high speed connection at the time...

IMAP #3
Exchange 2003 SP1 Front-end : OWA server with SSL Need some mobile users to connect to IMAP server with SSL Can this server (FE OWA Server) proxy SSL IMAP request to the backend server ? If yes can I use the same SSL that’s for OWA or I need to get another? Is there any documents talking FE-BE IMAP or Exchange IMAP ? Thanks.. -- Nawar Aljanabi MCSE NT/2000/2003,MCSA 2003 +M,CCNA Yes, that will work. Just make sure you are pointing your IMAP clients at the OWA public certificate name, otherwise you'll get an error. If I remember correctly Exchange will set this up correctly on...

access 2003 and multiple mailing lists
I want to create multiple Mailing lists for different Items that I send out from my marketing department. I want to create lists for four different items which are sent out every month, some of the recipients receive more than one of the items and others do not. I want to enter the information through one location and just have check boxes for the different items. like newsletter, SEC Invite, Follow Up Letter and so on. I also want this to be as simple as possible.If I need to, I also want to be able to print the entire list, not just for each Item. What would be the easiest way to make ...

Long delays on incoming mail (Exchange 2003)
I've recently been having trouble with e-mails being delayed between the outgoing server and ours. There is no trace of the e-mail hitting our server prior to the "received" time found in the headers. No hops in between us and the sending e-mail server, it looks like they are connecting directly. The message delays average between 1 and 5 hours, but I have seen delays of up to 24 hours. Often mail will not come in from a particular domain all day, and then sometime in the afternoon many e-mails from that domain will come through at once. All of the mail will have around the ...

Slow Remote Access
Hi all, I've got a client with a central office with a SBS 2003 R2 box. This client also has a remote branch office with 2 users who RWW into their PC's located at the main office. Mostly, this is working fine, however, if they try to open a large PDF (5MB +) from a share on the SBS box, this sometimes takes over 10 minutes to open and occasionally causes the local PC to freeze. Is there any way to speed this up ? I am currently limited to 1 MB upload speed at each site at the moment. TIA. Regards Colin. Hi Colin, + Does the same pdf also open slowly when someon...

reference is not valid message for pivot tables based on Access query
I've looked around but can't find an answer to this. I have a workbook - an xlt - that has 6 worksheets that pull data from different queries in the same Access database. I have several worksheets with on pivot table each. The pivot tables are based on dynamic named ranges in the external data worksheets. I use dynamic ranges because I have some adjacent calculated columns in the worksheets. The workbook has only 6 pivot caches - the same as the number of worksheets that pull data. I copied pivot tables from sheet to sheet so that they'd use the same cache, where approp...