IIS & Exchange: 2 x SMTP server?

Hi,

We have IIS and Exchange running on IIS. The server was accepting incoming
SMTP but the message were not stored in Exchange, also some configured
domains were not accepted.

In IIS and Exchange there is a configuration for SMTP and we suspected that
the IIS SMTP got the incoming calls and handled it.

We changed the port number of SMTP in Exchange to 8025 and as we thought a
telnet session to 25 accepted mails (but not stored in Exchange), when
connected to port 8025 mail was stored exchange and other domains were
accepted.

We tried to stop the smtp server in IIS but at every restart the SMTP server
is started.

What should we do in our configuration?

TIA,

Rene

0
this3539 (9)

Hi Ren�,
set back the port to 25. The Exchange Server Setup extends the IIS
smtp-service. After this, smtp could only be configured via Exchange
Systemmanager. I have no idea what happend on your Server.

you may delete the smtp service (add/remove software) and reinstall it.Than
repair it.  I�ve never done this before. So it�s up to you to do this or
not. But it is what i would do ;-)

from
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;843093

->
Back up the server before you reinstall IIS
If you remove and replace IIS to correct a suspected metabase corruption
issue, we recommend that you first back up your server, including the
metabase. By using the back-up, we can re-create your particular environment
in a Microsoft Product Support Services (PSS) lab environment.

When you are using Exchange Server, most metabase corruption issues are
related to the corruption of the SMTPSvc keys in the IIS metabase.
Therefore, if you must reinstall the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP)
service, you can use the SMTP Reinstall tool that is included with Microsoft
Exchange 2000 Server Service Pack 2 (SP2) and in later versions of Exchange
Server. The SMTP Reinstall tool, Smtpreinstall.exe, is available in the
Support Tools folder on the Exchange SP2 CD. You can use this tool to repair
Exchange 2000 Server without completely reinstalling Exchange Server. For
example, you might want to do this if you remove the Windows 2000 Simple
Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) service. To repair Exchange Server, you must
first reinstall the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) service and then
run the SMTP Reinstall tool. However, the SMTP Reinstall tool cannot be used
on a server cluster that is running. Instead of using the SMTP Reinstall
tool on a server cluster, reinstall the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol
service, and then completely reinstall Exchange Server and any previously
applied Exchange Server service packs.

cheers,
Andy

"Rene" <this@doesnot.exists> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi,
>
> We have IIS and Exchange running on IIS. The server was accepting incoming
> SMTP but the message were not stored in Exchange, also some configured
> domains were not accepted.
>
> In IIS and Exchange there is a configuration for SMTP and we suspected
> that
> the IIS SMTP got the incoming calls and handled it.
>
> We changed the port number of SMTP in Exchange to 8025 and as we thought a
> telnet session to 25 accepted mails (but not stored in Exchange), when
> connected to port 8025 mail was stored exchange and other domains were
> accepted.
>
> We tried to stop the smtp server in IIS but at every restart the SMTP
> server
> is started.
>
> What should we do in our configuration?
>
> TIA,
>
> Rene

0
andy.rath (135)
4/22/2005 9:14:41 AM
"Andy Rath [MVP Exchange]" <andy.rath@promptsolutions.de> schreef in bericht
> Hi Ren�,
> set back the port to 25. The Exchange Server Setup extends the IIS
> smtp-service. After this, smtp could only be configured via Exchange
> Systemmanager. I have no idea what happend on your Server.

I restored exhcnage to port 25 and restarted the machine for sure.

After all it was not working and I noticed files were dropped in
INETPUB\Drop directory. After using the metabase edit I saw 4 entries under
Smtp with under key 1\ the Exchange settings. It seems Smtp was using
configuration 3\...

I delete keys 2\ till \4, restarted smtp from services and it is working
now.

No idea how and why it happened this way...

Thanks for yous help,

Rene

> [...]
>

> cheers,
> Andy
>
> "Rene" <this@doesnot.exists> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Hi,
> >
> > We have IIS and Exchange running on IIS. The server was accepting
incoming
> > SMTP but the message were not stored in Exchange, also some configured
> > domains were not accepted.
> >
> > In IIS and Exchange there is a configuration for SMTP and we suspected
> > that
> > the IIS SMTP got the incoming calls and handled it.
> >
> > We changed the port number of SMTP in Exchange to 8025 and as we thought
> > telnet session to 25 accepted mails (but not stored in Exchange), when
> > connected to port 8025 mail was stored exchange and other domains were
> > accepted.
> >
> > We tried to stop the smtp server in IIS but at every restart the SMTP

0
this3539 (9)
4/22/2005 11:35:45 AM
"Rene" <this@doesnot.exists> wrote:

>"Andy Rath [MVP Exchange]" <andy.rath@promptsolutions.de> schreef in bericht
>> Hi Ren�,
>> set back the port to 25. The Exchange Server Setup extends the IIS
>> smtp-service. After this, smtp could only be configured via Exchange
>> Systemmanager. I have no idea what happend on your Server.
>
>I restored exhcnage to port 25 and restarted the machine for sure.
>
>After all it was not working and I noticed files were dropped in
>INETPUB\Drop directory. After using the metabase edit I saw 4 entries under
>Smtp with under key 1\ the Exchange settings. It seems Smtp was using
>configuration 3\...

If messages are winding up in the "Drop" directory then Exchange isn't
managing the SMTP virtual directory.

>I delete keys 2\ till \4, restarted smtp from services and it is working
>now.
>
>No idea how and why it happened this way...

It sounds like you had either multiple SMTP Virtual Servers in
Exchange and then deleted them, but the changes weren't pushed to the
metabase, OR you were creating SMTP servers with the IIS management
snap-in after removing and then adding the SMTP service to the server.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

forwarding in Exchange 2003 #2

Disaster Recovery for CRM 1.2
Does anyone have any documentation on the steps to backing up CRM 1.2? We want to make sure we are backing CRM 1.2 up correctly if the server should go down. We were unable to find any documentation on Microsofts website for a step by step backup solution. Right now we are just backing the CRM databases using the scheduler in SQL; is this ALL that is required and if so do we backup ALL of the databases or just certain ones? The owners of the company want to make sure we can restore ALL of the data if needed. -- Thank You, Troy Hi Troy Microsoft have included details of backing...

2 Questions
Hi I run Win 2K with Excel 2K Question 1 I have some VB code in the "Sheet 1" module of my excel file. The code is as follows: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) If Target.Column <> 12 Then Exit Sub On Error GoTo ErrHandler Application.EnableEvents = False Target.Formula = UCase(Target.Formula) ErrHandler: Application.EnableEvents = True End Sub I would like this code to run automatically whenever the file is opened. (I am assuming that this would remove the enable/disable dialog box option when opening the file) Can someone tell ...

getdlgitemtext #2
Hi, I meke code from example behind, and not working corectly, buffor "String1" they are no my text in IDC_EDIT1 it is a somthing wrong this bufor, may please send me good idea. void CDialogPASS::OnBnClickedButtonDp2() { CString String1; GetDlgItemText(IDC_EDIT1, String1); } mike 1010 Is IDC_EDIT1 an actual control? I've seen this fail when the control ID changes due to editing of the dialog. joe On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 17:44:33 +0200, "1010" <mig1010@wp.pl> wrote: >Hi, > >I meke code from example behind, and not working >corectly,...

Multiple Outlook #2
I imported an Outlook 2000 pst file into Outlook 2003. Now when I open Outlook my Personal Folders appears 4 times in the left hand "All Mail Folders" When I close Outlook it gives me an error and msvbvm60.dll is mentioned. Any help on how to correct this issue would be greatly appreciated. Mick ...

queue stuck #2
HI... i ahve exchange 2003 and i am facing problem that i am getting lot junk email and all messagess are stuck in queue ..after that my server hang so i need to restart server and clear the queue before restart it does't allow me to clear the queue ... pls help me .. tejal ...

Trouble sending emails #2

display name #2
hi i have this problem: when i send a mail massage from an application by exchange 2003, in outlook i see the e-mail address (xx@mydomain .com) and not display name (Customer Care) how can i resolve it? Thanks An application should allow you to specify display name for sender. Does it send via SMTP or MAPI? Matrix_pd wrote: > hi > i have this problem: when i send a mail massage from an application by > exchange 2003, in outlook i see the e-mail address (xx@mydomain .com) and > not display name (Customer Care) > > how can i resolve it? > > Thanks -- Please re...

Deleted exchange 5.5 site not replicating over the ADC to Exchange 2000 side
We are a part of a shared Exchange 5.5 organization but our site is primarily Exchange 2000/2k3. We maintain a single 5.5 server as the rest of the Org is 5.5. The problem we are seeing is when the folks who control the Organization at the top level remove a site that is no longer used, that deletion is not carrying over the CONFIG_CA agreement to the Exchange 2000/AD side. Our Exchange 5.5 server executes the deletion with no issue. Any ideas on why this deletion is not replicating properly over the ADC and throught the SRS database? In the past we have manually removed the sites/recipie...

double lookup #2
In Excel2000, I need help with the following formula: my data is arranged like this ( I can rearrange if needed).. joe pete sue rating 30 10 5 A 20 5 3 B 10 2 1 C I then have values for joe, pete, sue. I want to look up the name and then give me the rating. The numbers may not be exact. For example, I want the output to look like this ( with the formula looking up the rating) name amount rating (formula needed) joe 11 C pete 7 B sue 1 C Can someone please help me with the formula to fi...

copy of exchange 2000
I don't suppose microsoft is providing Exchange 2000 as a free download anywhere are they?? Until we can afford to move up to SBS 2008 (hopefully later this year), I want to trash our SBS 2000 (too many issues with it) and simply install a win2k server with Exchange until we can move on. We are not using any of the other SBS components any longer anyway... If anyone knows where I might be able to get this from, I would be very appreciative! Thanks, Brad Why not look at BPOS? $10 per user a month it's a great inexpensive solution. You may find you do not ne...

missing buttons #2
I just installed the new Office 2003 edtion. I went into e-mails and my send button and now my paper clip button are missing. I've checked in where you can add buttons but they're not in their either. What can I do to find them. Are you using Word as your e-mail editor? -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:4E889BAD-E127-4AF8-BC98-7AB117D0B90B@microsoft.com, Sharon wrote: > I just installed the new Office 2003 edtion. I went into e-mail...

Exchange SP2 #5
I'm going to install SP2 for Exchange 2003 which is on my SBS2003. Is there anything i should know / do before I install? Thanks Damien 1. Read the Release Notes. http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/b/5/fb5c54af-fe5c-48e9-be97-f9e8207325ab/Ex_2003_SP2_RelNotes.htm 2. If you ever installed IMF v1, uninstall it. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "Damien" <no@emailplease.com> wrote in message news:nS%fh.423965$E_2.65239@fe03.news.easynews.com... > I&...

Attachment Size #2
Hi ! Is it possible to block the adding of attachments in an=20 outlook client ? Or block the adding for attachments that=20 are bigger than 2 MB for example ? Can i get an error=20 Message or something ? (I think about an GPO or Registry=20 change or something else....) I have Users around here with Pop3 Outlook 2000 and=20 Outlook 2003 Clients. The Problem is that some of them are=20 trying to send Mails with Attachments with 300 (three=20 hundred!!) MB or something else like that.... Because they=20 don=B4t look an the size of their attachments. So the Mail is going through our WAN over ...

Exchange Stops Working
Hello. MY SETUP: 1. Primary server named STECNICIL (THIS HAS WINDOWS 2003 ENTERPRISE SERVER) 2. Secondary server name TEC-EXCHNG (THIS IS THE EXCHANGE SBS SERVER 2003) All the user connect through STECNICIL to get internet and every other service... All users connect to TEC-EXCHNG to get their email through OUTLOOK 2003. MY PROBLEM: I don't know what's going on but approximatly every 30mn to 1 hour, the connections between the clients and the EXCHANGE SERVER stops working. No more email for clients after that period of time. I have restart the server and restart the EXCH...

cannot uninstall Exchange 2000
Just finished a migration from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2000, and I'm not able to uninstall Exchange 2000 from the old server to demote it gracefully. I realize I can manually uninstall, but I'm trying to avoid that if possible to keep it clean. The error I'm getting is: Setup encountered an error while checking prerequisites for the component "Microsoft Exchange 2000": 0x80072030 (8240): There is no such object on the server. The bottom portion of the log is: [05:51:15] Entering CCompDomainPrep::ScGetEffectiveMode [05:51:15] Leaving CCompDomainPrep::...

Covert v. 2000 -> v. 2.0

Exchange 2003 with SP2 problems...

Foreign Exchange
With Excel 2003, is there a way to have a cell automatically update th foreign exchange rate of yen to British pounds from the internet, an then use that cell to do calculations -- peterthistl ----------------------------------------------------------------------- peterthistle's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2892 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48664 Here's something to get you started: Open a new workbook On Sheet1, enter the following: A1: FromCurrency B1: CAD A2: ToCurrency B2: USD A3: FromAmount B3...

Active Directory/Exchange problem
All, Before I joined my current employer the admin here upgraded from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000(Box A) and then added another Exchange 2000 box to the organisation(Box B)and migrated the data in Box A to Box B. Box B is now the working exchange server and Box A is no longer used. The problem is that if I actually shut down Box A I can add a new user to Active Directory but I am unable to modify a users email/smtp details. All mail can still be transferred with no problems which would lead me to believe that Exchange is Ok but there is some sort of Active Directory link between the two bo...