ifilter indexing attachments pdf

Hi,
anybody knows how to search for a text contained in a pdf attachment? I've
installed Ifilter but there's no way to search for a pdf attachment's
content with Outlook 2003... :(

Any hint?

Thanks in advance

0
diegi (2)

Are you looking for an Outlook client or Exchange server solution?

One solution to this is Windows Desktop Search:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/desktopsearch/default.mspx

However, be careful using Windows Desktop Search when Outlook is connected
to an Exchange Server:
http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2005/08/22/409610.aspx
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=905184

--Chris

Use of any included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
newsgroup purposes only.

"diego volp" <diegi@flagmyleg.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> anybody knows how to search for a text contained in a pdf attachment? I've
> installed Ifilter but there's no way to search for a pdf attachment's
> content with Outlook 2003... :(
>
> Any hint?
>
> Thanks in advance

I was looking for a Server side solution ( Exchange)

Thanx in advance Chris

Diego
"Chris Ahlers [MSFT]" <Chris.Ahlers@online.Microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Are you looking for an Outlook client or Exchange server solution?
>
> One solution to this is Windows Desktop Search:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/desktopsearch/default.mspx
>
> However, be careful using Windows Desktop Search when Outlook is connected
> to an Exchange Server:
> http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2005/08/22/409610.aspx
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=905184
>
> --Chris

> rights.
> Use of any included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
> http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm.
> Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for
> newsgroup purposes only.
>
> "diego volp" <diegi@flagmyleg.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> anybody knows how to search for a text contained in a pdf attachment?
>> I've installed Ifilter but there's no way to search for a pdf
>> attachment's content with Outlook 2003... :(
>>
>> Any hint?
>>
>> Thanks in advance

0
diegi (2)
12/15/2006 6:17:37 AM
Unfortunately, the Adobe PDF iFilter
(http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=1276) has not
worked well for Exchange 2003 because Exchange 2003 uses an older version of
the MSSearch technology which has had issues running the Single-Threaded PDF
iFilter in the multi-threaded process.

However, the interesting thing is that this issue appears to have been fixed
for SQL 2000 SP3 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323040).  The reason this
is interesting is because SQL 2000 and Exchange 2003 use the same version of
MSSearch (v2.5 - build 8320).  Therefore, I would anticipate that Exchange
2003 SP2 has this fix as well.

I tried to find instructions for how to install the PDF iFilter on
Exchange/SQL, but all I could find are instructions on how to do it for
SharePoint Portal Server 2003 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555209).
SharePoint uses a newer version of MSSearch (v3.0), But the first few steps
are the same.  I will try and get more information on this when time allows.

Here is an interesting webpage I found about Exchange and Full-Text
Indexing: http://www.messagingtalk.org/content/321.html

Another solution would be to use SharePoint Portal Server to index your
Exchange 2003 Public Folders since it is well documented on how to use
SharePoint to index PDF files.  If you do this, just make sure you download
the latest SharePoint Service Pack so you don't run into:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837063

Lastly, I want you to know that Full-Text Indexing in Exchange 2007 is
several times better than what it was in Exchange 2003.  The following web
pages talk at length about the new search functionality in Exchange 2007:
http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2006/10/11/429163.aspx
http://www.exchangeninjas.com/ExchangeSearchFAQ

"Ragnoco" <diegi@flagmyleg.com> wrote in message
>I was looking for a Server side solution ( Exchange)
>
> Thanx in advance Chris
>
> Diego
> "Chris Ahlers [MSFT]" <Chris.Ahlers@online.Microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Are you looking for an Outlook client or Exchange server solution?
>>
>> One solution to this is Windows Desktop Search:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/desktopsearch/default.mspx
>>
>> However, be careful using Windows Desktop Search when Outlook is
>> connected to an Exchange Server:
>> http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2005/08/22/409610.aspx
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=905184
>>
>> --Chris
>>
>> ================================================================================
>> rights.
>> Use of any included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
>> http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm.
>> Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for
>> newsgroup purposes only.
>> ================================================================================
>>
>> "diego volp" <diegi@flagmyleg.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>> anybody knows how to search for a text contained in a pdf attachment?
>>> I've installed Ifilter but there's no way to search for a pdf
>>> attachment's content with Outlook 2003... :(
>>>
>>> Any hint?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance

Send as a message NOT as an attachment
Two problems........... Using Publisher - want to send flyer "send as a message". It arrives as an attachment. I need it to open in the actual message window NOT as an attachment. My ISP is AOL and so it is for many of my recipients. I could send flyer from Outlook. Same problem....How to get it to open in window. I have saved the flyer which has text and pictures as a jpeg on my hard drive. I would be most appreciative of some help. Thank you :-) Unless all the folks you send the newsletter to have enabled HTML emails, your message will be an attachment. . Converti...

free djvu to pdf converter
hello: although off topic, anyone knows about a free djvu to odf converter? Thanks Maurice "Maurice" <morisaab@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Oo$qVyYKLHA.4824@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > although off topic, anyone knows about a free djvu to odf converter? ODF is the text file format of Open Office (Sun Microsystems). http://djvu.sourceforge.net/ lists converters to PDF but none to ODF. Are you sure your DJVU has no function to Save As ASCII ? -- Don Phillipson Carlsbad Springs (Ottawa, Canada) "Don Phillipson" <e925@SPAMBL...

Macro to merge cells of the same colour/pattern index
Hi guys, I am hoping that some one here can help me, First off i have a very, very basic knowledge of excel and vba so please bear with me and i will try to describe what it is i am trying to do as best as possible. I have a worksheet that has a list of equipment down the left hand side and week numbers going across the top 1 to 52. The spreadsheet is essentially a plan of what equipment is being used by certain processes, represented by coloured or patterned formatted cells in the weeks they will be in use. Kind of like a gantt chart. Currently i have a spreadsheet were i...

Edit and resave document attachments
Does anyone know of a way to edit an attached document within CRM 3.0 and save the edit without creating a new attachment. We have a complex proposal/quote template in Word we attach to an account, but it often needs to go through revisions with the customer until finalized. The template is too complex to put into the "Quotes" in CRM, and we need to be able to access it remotely and associate with an account, so we can't save on a file drive. Is there anything we can use short of a massive development with SDK? Thanks, Malcolm Hello Malcolm, You can do that if you us...

publish to web- index file problem
Hi, When I publish my files to the web, I do not get my first page (index.html). Everything else is created perfect except for the first page. I gave names to all of my HTML files but the program doesnt want to give me my first page! Could you please help me with this? In the future when you use the Microsoft Community please take note that there are topic specific forums for a product, designed to enhance the level of support you'll find in the Community. For your posted topic our WebDesign forum - microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign - would be the applicable resource. You failed ...

Control size of attachments
I am using Outlook 2003 - Pop - No Exchange Server When I want to attach a picture, I "insert", but it shows in the attachments section BEFORE the "Attachment Options" dialog appears that would allow me to resize the pictures to a more acceptable size What am I doing wrong ? TIA JM ...

collection that would hold in each index a few strings
I need to use some collection that would hold in each index a few strings( similar to CStringArray but support 3 strings in the same index)? Is there something like that? Regards Bob Bob wrote: > I need to use some collection that would hold in each index a few strings( > similar to CStringArray but support 3 strings in the same index)? > Is there something like that? You can use the power of STL template containers to do that. My understanding is that you need an array of an custom item made by few strings. So, you can define a class for this item, and then use vector<Th...

Publisher to PDF
Is it possible to convert a Publisher file to a PDF file? Herspirit wrote: > Is it possible to convert a Publisher file to a PDF file? Yes but only with a paid-for plug in. Do a Google for PDF creator -- Brett I hate it when my foot falls asleep during the day because that means it's going to be up all night. You will need a program to do it. Here is my canned response on the matter. You will need a program to convert the file to a pdf format. There is of course Adobe Acrobat but its a bit on the spendy side for most folks at $250 or higher. I had the need to create pdf files s...

Hash indexes
I found http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189788.aspx in 2008 BOL, which talks about CHECKSUM and creating hash indexes. I remember hash indexes from college and the old Unify Excel database had them too. However, the last I recall, b+-trees were shown to out perform them. So, I'm curious, why are hash indexes included in SQL Server? What are they good for? There's only one storage structure you can create in the SQL Server relational storage engine, and that is b-tree (clustered or non-clustered). I.e., there's no CREATE command for bitmap index, ...

Basic INDEX() question
I am trying to use INDEX() to look up specific cells on my worksheets. To accomplish this I have a range named p1rn1 that refers to $C$3:$AE$22 I want to refer to hex T3. What is the formula? =INDEX(p1rn1,?,?) Thanks Do you mean =INDEX(p1rn1,1,18) -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Adam Kroger @hotmail.com>" <adam_kroger<nospam> wrote in message news:yuednaC-sYaPngPeRVn-jA@comcast.com... > I am trying to use INDEX() to look up specific cells on my worksheets. To > accomplish this I have a range named p1rn1 that ref...

Image index.
Hello. I want to use imagelist. The nodes on the image list has connected to an itemlist, which I have added some pictures on it. On runtime - everytime I select a specific node, the image is changed to : imageIndex. I cannot see a way to avoid that situation. I want that when I click on node - the image on it won't be changed. How can I do that ? Thanks :) On 05/06/2010 11:52, Mr. X. wrote: > On runtime - everytime I select a specific node, the image is changed to > : imageIndex. > I want that when I click on node - the image on it won't be changed....

outlook 2000 SP3 attachment warning message
I am trying without success to disable the attachment warning message you get when you click on, for instance, an attached .jpg file. Is there any way to do this? Registry edits are OK...I just want the attachment to open when I click on it's icon rather than that warning popup appearing. Many thanks for any feedback. -- <Smith&Wesson...the original point and click interface> ...

Outlook
Every time I send an email, an attachment called image001.gif goes as well. I have checked and it is not a virus and a can't get rid of it. Anyone any suggestions? Thanks Hm Outlook doen't send "image001.gif" at any time. How do u check this issue ? From which system to u send and reviece mails ? Both Outlook and Exchange ? Which Versions ? I've seen "Winmail.dat" and such stuff over an foreign Webinterface for Mail. Regards Roger "Amanda Gorman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1ba101c4af79$d0f8dad0$...

ifilter indexing attachments pdf
Hi, anybody knows how to search for a text contained in a pdf attachment? I've installed Ifilter but there's no way to search for a pdf attachment's content with Outlook 2003... :( Any hint? Thanks in advance Are you looking for an Outlook client or Exchange server solution? One solution to this is Windows Desktop Search: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/desktopsearch/default.mspx However, be careful using Windows Desktop Search when Outlook is connected to an Exchange Server: http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2005/08/22/409610.aspx http://support.microsoft.com/?id=9051...

xls attachment became dat
Hi all. Recently i received an email that was send to me and my colleague. The attachment is of xls but when i received it, it was in the form of dat. My colleague received it as xls. Is there anything wrong with my outlook? Are you using Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express? These two are very different programs where one can handle Rich Text messages (Microsoft Outlook) while the other cannot. The common message formats between Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express is Plain Text and/or HTML. Therefore I would double check with the sender to verify that they sent the message in Pla...

Chart axes color index vs font color index
Hi All quick question here regarding color indexes. Our company approved Powerpoint style has a dark background, so when we paste Excel charts we need to change all the black elements to white. I thought it would be faster to just change black to white in the "tools .. options.. colors" tab. When I do that, all the lines on our charts turn white but everything else (axes, legend, title) stays black, even though the color for all elements is set to automatic. So, do these elements use a different color table, or does automatic not assign the same color to all the elements, or what? I...

Start_Incremental Full Text indexing job on CRM 4.0 server
We have just completed upgrading to CRM 4.0 in production. We upgraded from CRM 3.0 to 4.0. I noticed that there is a job on the SQL server titled "Start_Incremental on <OrganizationName>.ftcat_documentindex.[7.5]" Th job runs every 15 minutes and fails. I have been able to find information on 1.2 and 3.0 installations, but not 4.0. Is this job even needed in 4.0? We are on SQL 2005 so the index should run every 15 minutes anyway?? I have been able to find the catalog and noticed that the name is not ftcat_documentindex as specified in the job's step1. I was able to g...

Attachments nt received by my Outlook Express
When I receive a message with an attachment---the e-mail goes through the motions of opening ---takes a few minutes --- blue bar crosses the screen etc----but when the message finally appears---- I can read text ---but there is no attachment ---can anyone help me out here? You probably have OE set at too high a level of security and are blocking the attachments. I'd suggest you lower the security settings. If that doesn't answer the problem, try the OE newsgroup. "Donal O'Flynn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02d601c39ffa$7362efd...

Contact Index button
We have some problems displaying the Chinese Contact name in the contact list. Any one can help? ...

Help with INDEX/MATCH
I'm trying to make a top 10 but I'm having problems with non unique values. Raw data : Pink 1 Blue 5 Yellow 3 White 6 Purple 4 Brown 2 Red 15 Orange 48 Black 18 Green 20 Beige 22 Violet 56 Gold 12 To get my top 10 I use this, which works fine. =LARGE(totals,1) - through to 10 I then use this to match the text title to the value. =INDEX($B$5:$C$17,MATCH(B23,$C$5:$C$17,0),1) Result : 1st 56 Violet 2nd 48 Orange 3rd 22 Beige 4th 20 Green This all works fine as long as the values are unique, however if I change Gold to 56 I get the following result 1st 56 Violet 2nd 56 Violet 3rd...

how to delete an attachment that was sent to ALL STAFF?
One of our HR staff accidentally sent a new Staff Member's offer letter out to the entire GAL as an attachment. Is there a way to delete this attachment from the Info Store so that user's can't open it and review this confidential Word Doc? Please email me ASAP if you know the solution at mmiller@ncpanet.org Thanks, -MM Exmerge is your friend here. There is an option to remove messages based on subject. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne Read my blog! http://winzenz.blogspot.com http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed) "MikeMaxim" <MikeMaxim@discu...

XML indexing ?
Hello, I have an MFC application. In one of my screens the user need to choose a driver from a list of thousands drivers. We cannot use DB, so we use XML only. The drivers files are in the system files every manufacturer has its own directory and every model in the manufacturer directory has its own directory too (many many directories and sub-directories), each model directory has few files (driver files). I need a very fast way to show the user all the manufacturers and when he chooses the manufacturer I need to display all the chosen manufacturer's models (dirs). After the user chooses ...

Contacts not receiving attachments
Since migrating to a new SBS 2003 server and domain a few days ago we've found that when users try to send emails to contacts in our global address book the recipients receive the email but not the attachments. If we create an email and send to someone not in the address book they do receive the attachment. Is this a problem related to format of the emails? If so, how come it doesn't affect emails to people not in the address book and how can I go about solving it? Thanks in advance On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:42:14 -0700, MBurns <MBurns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >S...

Composite Index vs Covering Index
I assume that you want to keep the index as small as possible. CREATE TABLE Temp (PK int , FirstName varchar(20), LastName varchar(30),ZipCode varchar(12) ...) If I have a query that is returning First Name, Last Name and ZipCode and need an index set up like LastName, FirstName. But I want to put the Zip Code there as well so I only have to access the index. I could create a covering index: CREATE INDEX idx on Temp (LastName,FirstName) INCLUDE (ZipCode) or a composite index. CREATE INDEX idx on Temp (LastName,FirstName,ZipCode) I assume the covering index would be ...

Email Attachments
My boss wants to send an email attachment (3mb avi file) to over 3,000 recipients. I am concerned about bottlenecks both in our internet pipe, memory and CPU on the server. Is there a worry that this will bring my mail system to a stand still? I have a LAN extension to my ISP (up to 6mb) and my server has lots of horsepower. Has anyone ever done this before? What could be the ramifications, if any? Exchange 2003 in an AD domain On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 05:57:02 -0700, Zart the Artist <ZarttheArtist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >My boss wants to send an email attachment (3mb av...