I need to enable journaling on my Exchange 2007 server

I need to enable journaling on my Exchange 2007 server. I have not done this
before.

I found the following and it is good information but I still had a few
questions:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2006/12/journaling/default.aspx

It seems that this journal mailbox could really grow. What have some of you
found is the best way to manage this mailbox?

Any other information or suggested added processes or concerns I should know
about?

Thanks!

0
D303M (43)

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 13:36:01 -0700, D303M
<D303M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I need to enable journaling on my Exchange 2007 server. I have not done this
>before.
>
>I found the following and it is good information but I still had a few
>questions:
>

>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2006/12/journaling/default.aspx
>

>It seems that this journal mailbox could really grow. What have some of you
>found is the best way to manage this mailbox?

Journaling to a mailbox is a poormans archiving system. I would look
at 3rd party software myself.

>Any other information or suggested added processes or concerns I should know
>about?
>

>Thanks!
0
adavid (8731)
4/12/2007 9:46:00 PM
I was trying to figure out how to keep the size down by doing something like
copying them to a PST and storing them on another server or after the mailbox
had been backed up to tape at night delete all of the messages in the journal
mailbox.

I have looked at several third party solutions but there is no budget money
for anything right now. I'm just going to have to make this work for a while.

Thanks for your help

"Andy David  {MVP}" wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 13:36:01 -0700, D303M
> <D303M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I need to enable journaling on my Exchange 2007 server. I have not done this
> >before.
> >
> >I found the following and it is good information but I still had a few
> >questions:
> >

> >http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2006/12/journaling/default.aspx
> >

> >It seems that this journal mailbox could really grow. What have some of you
> >found is the best way to manage this mailbox?
>
> Journaling to a mailbox is a poormans archiving system. I would look
> at 3rd party software myself.
>

> >Any other information or suggested added processes or concerns I should know
> >about?
> >

> >Thanks!

0
D303M (43)
4/12/2007 11:48:02 PM
Good luck with that.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"D303M" <D303M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was trying to figure out how to keep the size down by doing something
>like
> copying them to a PST and storing them on another server or after the
> mailbox
> had been backed up to tape at night delete all of the messages in the
> journal
> mailbox.
>
> I have looked at several third party solutions but there is no budget
> money
> for anything right now. I'm just going to have to make this work for a
> while.
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> "Andy David  {MVP}" wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 13:36:01 -0700, D303M
>> <D303M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I need to enable journaling on my Exchange 2007 server. I have not done
>> >this
>> >before.
>> >
>> >I found the following and it is good information but I still had a few
>> >questions:
>> >

>> >http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2006/12/journaling/default.aspx
>> >

>> >It seems that this journal mailbox could really grow. What have some of
>> >you
>> >found is the best way to manage this mailbox?
>>
>> Journaling to a mailbox is a poormans archiving system. I would look
>> at 3rd party software myself.
>>

>> >Any other information or suggested added processes or concerns I should
>> >know
>> >about?
>> >

>> >Thanks!

0
curspice6401 (3487)

Money 2007 E-Pay
Noticed this morning when I was paying my bills this anomaly. Perhaps I am missing something. Scenario: Paying a credit card bill. In Money 2004 (my previous version of Money) I would use Credit Card as the category and in the subcategory use the particular credit card account I was paying. Worked great. Money 2007, there is a new category named Credit Cards/Transfer. When selecting this there are no payee categories listed. However further down the list is another category named Credit Card. Using Credit Card shows the various payees. Not sure what the difference is between Credit C...

forwarding in Exchange 2003 #2

Email set up, DSL, Different outgoing and incoming servers
I just intalled DSL and now I cannot send email with outlook. The outgoing server and incoming server are different and I have set up the proper user names and passwords for both but I am not able to send email. The DSL provider has been unable to help me and I am able to log into the server over the web just not with outlook. I use outlook 2002 When you use the Test Account Settings, what error are you getting? Also, did you set your authentication on the server tab of your account properties per the DSL providers instructions? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies t...

Printing Multiple Receipts at a Time From Journal
Hey guys, Is there a way to print multiple journaled receipts at a time? Say all receipts for a batch or by date or other criteria? Thanks Tom, Not that I've seen. -- = Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security You must be using Outlook Express or some other type of newsgroup reader to see and download the file attachment. If you are not using a reader, follow the link below to setup Outlook Express. Click on "Open with newsreader" under the MS Retail Management System on the right. http://tinyurl.com/75bgz ========== "Tom Bombadill" <Genius_pos...

To write living will do I need special format
I just need to change and update a living trust You should consult someone with the appropriate legal knowledge in the jurisdiction in which you are domiciled. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "belladonna" <belladonna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F25A64CB-355F-44E9-A005-16AA61DA15A7@microsoft.com... > I just need to change and update a living trust ...

copy of exchange 2000
I don't suppose microsoft is providing Exchange 2000 as a free download anywhere are they?? Until we can afford to move up to SBS 2008 (hopefully later this year), I want to trash our SBS 2000 (too many issues with it) and simply install a win2k server with Exchange until we can move on. We are not using any of the other SBS components any longer anyway... If anyone knows where I might be able to get this from, I would be very appreciative! Thanks, Brad Why not look at BPOS? $10 per user a month it's a great inexpensive solution. You may find you do not ne...

2007 calendar
How can I create a 1 page 2007 calendar in publisher? File, new, publications for print, calendars, select one, select yearly... click Change date range. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "Angel" <Angel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7253E645-B0BA-4B90-BF7E-7083802EA379@microsoft.com... > How can I create a 1 page 2007 calendar in publisher? ...

Deleted exchange 5.5 site not replicating over the ADC to Exchange 2000 side
We are a part of a shared Exchange 5.5 organization but our site is primarily Exchange 2000/2k3. We maintain a single 5.5 server as the rest of the Org is 5.5. The problem we are seeing is when the folks who control the Organization at the top level remove a site that is no longer used, that deletion is not carrying over the CONFIG_CA agreement to the Exchange 2000/AD side. Our Exchange 5.5 server executes the deletion with no issue. Any ideas on why this deletion is not replicating properly over the ADC and throught the SRS database? In the past we have manually removed the sites/recipie...

VISIO 2007 -Text direction
can some one tell me how to change text to be type in vertically. Under tools, options there is no regional tab or under format text the change text direction command does not work. "kgbrat" <kgbrat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2DBF18B5-E1C8-4493-8BEF-F7D4C1538781@microsoft.com... > can some one tell me how to change text to be type in vertically. Under > tools, options there is no regional tab or under format text the change > text > direction command does not work. You can use the Text Tool (The A with an circular arrow around it) and gr...

Exchange SP2 #5
I'm going to install SP2 for Exchange 2003 which is on my SBS2003. Is there anything i should know / do before I install? Thanks Damien 1. Read the Release Notes. http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/b/5/fb5c54af-fe5c-48e9-be97-f9e8207325ab/Ex_2003_SP2_RelNotes.htm 2. If you ever installed IMF v1, uninstall it. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "Damien" <no@emailplease.com> wrote in message news:nS%fh.423965$E_2.65239@fe03.news.easynews.com... > I&...

2007 License
I received a free Office SBA 2007 via an MS Partner Program as a download together with key There is no FPP, OEM or MLK designation. (The EULA in Word being dependant on the above) How can I determine if this is licensed to install on a second device, other than trying? - The PID? Contact the MS Partner Program? "DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message news:uVA$w8lpKHA.4648@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... :I received a free Office SBA 2007 via an MS Partner Program as a download : together with key : There is no FPP, OEM or MLK designation. : (The EULA...

Exchange Stops Working
Hello. MY SETUP: 1. Primary server named STECNICIL (THIS HAS WINDOWS 2003 ENTERPRISE SERVER) 2. Secondary server name TEC-EXCHNG (THIS IS THE EXCHANGE SBS SERVER 2003) All the user connect through STECNICIL to get internet and every other service... All users connect to TEC-EXCHNG to get their email through OUTLOOK 2003. MY PROBLEM: I don't know what's going on but approximatly every 30mn to 1 hour, the connections between the clients and the EXCHANGE SERVER stops working. No more email for clients after that period of time. I have restart the server and restart the EXCH...

cannot uninstall Exchange 2000
Just finished a migration from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2000, and I'm not able to uninstall Exchange 2000 from the old server to demote it gracefully. I realize I can manually uninstall, but I'm trying to avoid that if possible to keep it clean. The error I'm getting is: Setup encountered an error while checking prerequisites for the component "Microsoft Exchange 2000": 0x80072030 (8240): There is no such object on the server. The bottom portion of the log is: [05:51:15] Entering CCompDomainPrep::ScGetEffectiveMode [05:51:15] Leaving CCompDomainPrep::...

Exchange 2003 with SP2 problems...

Office 2007 11-23-09
Of all the choices out there (community discussion, dashboard, live, etc.) how can I contact someone with input on Microsoft's software. For example, I want to know why any one would not display the most common commands on the HOME tab in Office 2007. Print, Save, Open, Close, Spell Check, Undo, etc. etc. etc. Yes, I know you can customize your own Toolbar, but not a beginner. How can I emphasize how important this is, I don't suppose you can customize the Tabs. I would like to ask someone why they can't get input from those of us who teach their products. ...

Foreign Exchange
With Excel 2003, is there a way to have a cell automatically update th foreign exchange rate of yen to British pounds from the internet, an then use that cell to do calculations -- peterthistl ----------------------------------------------------------------------- peterthistle's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2892 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48664 Here's something to get you started: Open a new workbook On Sheet1, enter the following: A1: FromCurrency B1: CAD A2: ToCurrency B2: USD A3: FromAmount B3...

Using Risk+ with MSP 2007
We use Risk+ as a risk simulation tool. We have discovered that it works approximately 20 times SLOWER in MSP 2007 than MSP 2003. Has anyone else run into this problem. If so, is there a remedy? My hunch this not a generic issue, but surely best that you consult with the Risk+ people on this. --rms www.rmschneider.com On 02/03/10 18:08, Tom Mc wrote: > We use Risk+ as a risk simulation tool. We have discovered that it works > approximately 20 times SLOWER in MSP 2007 than MSP 2003. Has anyone else run > into this problem. If so, is there a remedy? W...

Active Directory/Exchange problem
All, Before I joined my current employer the admin here upgraded from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000(Box A) and then added another Exchange 2000 box to the organisation(Box B)and migrated the data in Box A to Box B. Box B is now the working exchange server and Box A is no longer used. The problem is that if I actually shut down Box A I can add a new user to Active Directory but I am unable to modify a users email/smtp details. All mail can still be transferred with no problems which would lead me to believe that Exchange is Ok but there is some sort of Active Directory link between the two bo...