Huge Queue

I've noticed that our Exchange Server 2000 for a small organization (less
than 5 clients) has a huge, long list in the SMTP queue when I look at it
using Administrator.  When I click on Queues, it takes about 10 minutes for
the queue to finally show on the screen (I'm guessing we end up with a list
in the thousands).

Is this normal?  If not, how do I eliminate this long queue.  If I make the
assumption that all users email has been delivered, I would also assume that
nothing should be in the queue (and that therefore we should be able to
delete anything in the queue), correct?

Thanks!

Dan

Your server might be an open relay, so spammers relay their junk
through it. See this article for furter information:

HTH
  Gyula Karakas
  orf support
  www.vamsoft.com/orf

DDJ wrote:
> I've noticed that our Exchange Server 2000 for a small organization
> (less than 5 clients) has a huge, long list in the SMTP queue when I
> look at it using Administrator.  When I click on Queues, it takes
> about 10 minutes for the queue to finally show on the screen (I'm
> guessing we end up with a list in the thousands).
0
Karakas
10/29/2004 5:39:12 AM
Thank you for the article.  I checked the article and verified that we are
not an open relay.

I'm assuming that the only queues I should be seeing are for email that is
currently queued for delivery (which with only 5 users should be a small
number), correct?  If true, how do I delete all of these items that are
queued for delivery?  From what I can see, the only way to do it would be to
go through the list, and one by one, delete the messages.  Is there another
way to "clear" the queue?

Thanks,

Dan

"Karakas, Gyula [vamsoft]" <gyula karakasATvamsoft com> wrote in message
> Your server might be an open relay, so spammers relay their junk
> through it. See this article for furter information:
> http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF005.html
>
> HTH
>   Gyula Karakas
>   orf support
>   www.vamsoft.com/orf
>
> DDJ wrote:
> > I've noticed that our Exchange Server 2000 for a small organization
> > (less than 5 clients) has a huge, long list in the SMTP queue when I
> > look at it using Administrator.  When I click on Queues, it takes
> > about 10 minutes for the queue to finally show on the screen (I'm
> > guessing we end up with a list in the thousands).

Thank you for the article.  I checked the article and verified that we are
not an open relay.

I'm assuming that the only queues I should be seeing are for email that is
currently queued for delivery (which with only 5 users should be a small
number), correct?  If true, how do I delete all of these items that are
queued for delivery?  From what I can see, the only way to do it would be to
go through the list, and one by one, delete the messages.  Is there another
way to "clear" the queue?

Thanks,

Dan

"Karakas, Gyula [vamsoft]" <gyula karakasATvamsoft com> wrote in message
> Your server might be an open relay, so spammers relay their junk
> through it. See this article for furter information:
> http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF005.html
>
> HTH
>   Gyula Karakas
>   orf support
>   www.vamsoft.com/orf
>
> DDJ wrote:
> > I've noticed that our Exchange Server 2000 for a small organization
> > (less than 5 clients) has a huge, long list in the SMTP queue when I
> > look at it using Administrator.  When I click on Queues, it takes
> > about 10 minutes for the queue to finally show on the screen (I'm
> > guessing we end up with a list in the thousands).

>Thank you for the article.  I checked the article and verified that we are
>not an open relay.
>
>I'm assuming that the only queues I should be seeing are for email that is
>currently queued for delivery (which with only 5 users should be a small
>number), correct?  If true, how do I delete all of these items that are
>queued for delivery?  From what I can see, the only way to do it would be
>go through the list, and one by one, delete the messages.  Is there another
>way to "clear" the queue?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Dan

The queues you're seeing will persist for a small amount of time after
they've delivered all the mail intended for the target domain.  That's done
for the benefit of high-traffic domains; if they didn't persist, Exchagne
would have to rebuild them frequently.  I don't neccessarily find the
persistence of those queues alarming.

If you've got a lot of queues to flush out, you can build a dummy SMTP
connector and use that to flush all the queues:

In Exchange System Manager, click SMTP Connector under Connectors.
Right-click Connectors, click New, and then click SMTP Connector.
-	Click General tab, type a temporary name (e.g. Dummy) in the Name box.
�	Click on Forward all mail through this connector to the following smart
hosts, in the field provided, type a dummy IP address, and enclose it in
the brackets. e.g. [1.1.1.1]
�	Click Add at the bottom, select the server name and its associated SMTP
Virtual Server, and then click OK.
-	Click Address Space.
�	Click Add, SMTP, and then OK.
�	In the Internet Address Space Properties dialog box, leave the default
settings (E-mail domain * and Cost 1), and then click OK.
�	Select Entire organization on the Connector scope.
-	Click Apply, OK to close the SMTP Connector Properties dialog box.
-	Wait till all messages go into the Dummy connector queue and finally into
�Messages with unreachable destination queue�.
-	Enumerate the messages from �Messages with unreachable destination queue
and
delete the "Postmaster" emails.
-	Delete the Dummy SMTP connector to allow the normal mail flow.

As far as where the mail is coming from, it might be worth pushing
Transport logging up to Maximum and looking for 1708 events; what you've
got could be an authenticated relay (more info available at
http://www.vamsoft.com/orf/authattack.asp).

HtH,
Tony

0
tfauss (2)

Quick Campaign Queue e-mail sends from user
Hi, We are using CRM v4.0 using the e-mail router in a Lotus Notes shop. Quick Campaign Scenario. Send out an e-mail, select to send it our on behalf of a queue. The e-mail is sent out, however, it sends it on behalf of the user's e-mail, and does not use the queue e-mail address. Any ideas on why this might be? Note: this does work for Direct & Bulk e-mails. ...

Queues #3
Inside the "queues" have many other mail server use my smtp send mail , have any method can block the other server don't use my server sends mail. These are probably just NDR's, also make sure your not an open relay, what version of Exchange are you running? -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "monchhichi" <monchhichi@monchhichi.com> wrote in message news:u%23fO0TeHEHA.2720@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Inside the "queues" have many other mail server use my smtp send mail , have > any method ca...

Extract Email Address from mail queue
Hi Recently I have performed a mass email (about 500) that accidentally jam the outgoing service. To recover the outgoing service, I have to freeze the SMTP mail queue. But now I need to know which are the email addresses that are successfully sent or not send. Thus I would like to know how can I extract this email addresses from the exchange server. By the way I am using Microsoft Exchange Server 2003. Appreciate if anybody can share their experience. Thanks. Not sure how 500 messages would "jam" the outgoing queue unless they had an attachment. 500 messages is a cakewal...

Huge file size
I have a excel file that has all of a sudden grown to a huge size 19,278,336 . It is stock market data with a worksheet for each year of data (1968 to 2004). So 35 worksheets. For years it has always run about 1.8 meg. Just this year it has all of a sudden grown with no real difference in the data I add each day. Each row has 9 columns of data advances, declines, etc. There are 21 columns that make calculations based on the preceding 9 columns. But years 1968 - 2003 just have data, not formulas. I converted the cells to numbers from formulas. And I had several charts, but I de...

A Huge Opportunity . . .
Hello. On April 1, 2007, a new concept in Computer Support will be rolled out across the United States and Europe. We believe that PC-VIP will turn the market for support services to the SMB space <i>ON IT'S EAR</i>. We are looking for qualified support professionals to act as field personnel in New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Miami, Austin, Seattle, and Washington DC, as well as in Paris France and Brussels, Belgium, immediately. The money is big, and no kidding, this will be so big that it's entirely likely that anyone who isn't "with us&qu...

spam in deferred queue
hi, obviously there are spam messages in the deferred queue which are not from our organizations valid users. how do we trace who is the "real" sender? if we could just find out the machine or ip address it is coming from, appreciate it. thanks, -danny On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:54:57 -0700, "PLAGOOMS" <PLAGOOMS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >hi, > >obviously there are spam messages in the deferred queue which are not >from our organizations valid users. how do we trace who is the "real" sender? >if we could just find out the machine...

Saturating message queue?
I was interested in timing how long it took for a parent and child thread to exchange a series of window messages. I thought I would start with the Frame and View in the main thread of a doc/view sdi app for simplicity. I set up a menu item to initiate a loop. Then the Frame and View exchange a token until the token is incremented to a certain value. However, it hangs if I use a token value of more than 20. Am I doing something wrong? Is "SendMessageToDescendants" an inappropriate choice? Is the message queue "saturating"? ... which would seem odd since the app is us...

Huge file size
If I add an image to my Pub 2002 publication, the file size increases (that's normal)--but if I remove the image, the file size does NOT decrease---it remains the same. Apparently, it is cumulative---right now I am working with a Godzilla 339MB file size. Even if I remove all of my images from the publication, and I have nothing but text, the file size remains huge. Can anything be done to decrease the file size of an existing publication? Dave Block Tech Writer Long Island, NY Dave Block <DaveBlock@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > If I add ...

Customized Queue for Contacts..
Hi, How can i create my own queue for contacts.(ie) when ever a user creates a contact it should be in a queue1 and when another user approves it the same record should come to another queue2. Regards, I do not believe that this is possible - Contacts are not queueable objects. Gill >-----Original Message----- >Hi, > >How can i create my own queue for contacts.(ie) when ever a user >creates a contact it should be in a queue1 and when another user >approves it the same record should come to another queue2. > >Regards, >. > Hi Gill, Can i integrate my Web a...

What is an .swp file? And why is it so huge?
131,072kb And is it a friend or foe? It's a file that Windows creates. Think of it as a way to leave files out on the desk so you can find them easier. When you reboot, the file will shrink, then grow again as you work. In other words, it's normal. Melissa "Carol" <carol@willapabay.org> wrote in message news:129cf01c3f6a8$b3e2f500$a001280a@phx.gbl... > 131,072kb > > And is it a friend or foe? Carol wrote: > 131,072kb > > And is it a friend or foe? What has this to do with Publisher?! If a file is large enough to exhaust your computer'...

Huge Queue
I've noticed that our Exchange Server 2000 for a small organization (less than 5 clients) has a huge, long list in the SMTP queue when I look at it using Administrator. When I click on Queues, it takes about 10 minutes for the queue to finally show on the screen (I'm guessing we end up with a list in the thousands). Is this normal? If not, how do I eliminate this long queue. If I make the assumption that all users email has been delivered, I would also assume that nothing should be in the queue (and that therefore we should be able to delete anything in the queue), correct? Thanks...

Exchage 5.5 queue?!?
Hi.. I have a exchange 5.5 installed with the latest upgrade. I don=B4t have a open relay, but every time I start the=20 Internet mail service a queue of mails starts building up=20 in my outgoing dir C:\exchsrvr\imcdata\out a queue file in C:\exchsrvr\imcdata holds the all the info=20 on thw spam mails that builds up in C:\exchsrvr\imcdata\out What is happening? Please help Thomas It's possible that someone is using a username and password to authenticate, that would allow them to relay. Here's how you can find out if someone is authenticating. 1. Go to the properties of the Int...

Working with huge cells
I'm pseudo-using Excel as a database with some huge cells such as 150 lines including LFs (I stripped the CRs). I'd like to see as much as possible, navigate with the keyboard, and (hey, I can dream) if possible find and land cursor on a search term (ideally repeating with a button). Highlighting them would be the final victory - or at least enlarging or emboldening - even if I could only do one at a time. At a comfortable font I can see about 30 lines in the auto-expanding Formula Bar while selecting the unwrapped cell so that's a start. It looks clean with the LFs. I can then cl...

how do i clear the Mailroot/queue?
Am running an Exchange 5.5 system on a Win NT 4.0 box, and have been experiencing a problem with the mailroot/queue folder that involves large quantities of email sitting "dormant" in the folder. Most of the email is spam, however, about 10% of the messages are legitimate, so it's a little frustrating to see them just sit there and not be processed by the exchange server. How can the exchange server be "coaxed" to deal with these emails? There are about 750 emails in this folder. Thanks in advance for any advice on how to fix this issue. wayne Hi Wayne, Exchange...

How to avoid table locks when deleting\ inserting huge records
We have a scenario where a complex calculation happens within a stored procedure which produces around 1 Lac records at the end of calculation. These 1 Lac records needs to be stored to a table. Everytime, this is calculated for the same parameter, it deletes previous result and inserts again. Since Delete\ Insert involves huge number of records, Lock Escalation happens and 'Table Lock' is applied. As the concurrent users increase, the response time from the Stored Proc increases drastically. Please suggest how else this can be done to bring down the response time. Th...

New entity to assign to queue...
How can I assign new custom entity to queue? Afraid you can't. Only Activities & Cases can be routed to a queue. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Cyrus" <Cyrus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:532FAE65-EFF0-43D0-9311-567E35F11C63@microsoft.com... How can I assign new custom entity to queue? Thank you. But is there a way to create new custom Activity entity? "Matt Parks" wrote: > Afraid you can't. Only Activities & Cases can be routed to a queue. > > -- > > Matt Parks > MVP - Microsoft CRM No. be...

SMTP Queue Growth error #2
I have set up notifications to notify my when my SMTP Queue grows consistently for 5 minutes. But I get this notification like 15 times a day! So then I go into my queue, and there is sometimes only one message that is in the queue at most. It is always an NDR for domain mx01.send4fun.com. I have no idea what that domain is. Under "Additional Queue Info" at bottom it says "The connection was dropped by the remote host". I am pretty sure my server is not open relay. Is this domain using me for Reverse NDR spam? Can someone explain this to me? Thanks, ....Jamie This...

Battery huge
With Lithium-ion battery I get the values listed here below during discharge. Any suggest in how to compute this curve to supply a reasonable-good battery level percentage? (i.e. I want that 60% of charge means an estimated remaining duration time of 60%) Also the data below are obtained testing a new battery: have I to consider tests after 10-100-1000 discharge cycles, in other words have I to consider the average of discharge curves tested in different conditions in your opinion? T.I.A., Massimo 1023,5 (full charge) 1023,5 1023,5 1023,5 1023,5 1023,5 1023,5 1023...

View Queues in Exchange 2003
I found the instructions on how to view them for exch 2000 but not 2003. We have a spammer and I want to be able to delete the messages he/she us trying to send out from our mail servers queue list to free up our mail server a little while we fix the problem. How to Delete Messages from Queues in Exchange Server 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822944 HOW TO: Flush the SMTP Mail Queue in Exchange Server 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=821901 -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not s...

queues not all working
weird issue...exchange 2000 enterprise on win 2k advanced server... some queues are working fine...mail comes in fine from everywhere but some q's like hotmail aren't working...when i manually cancel the deliver i get an ndr looking like this: This message was rejected due to the current administrative policy by the destination server. Please retry at a later time. If that fails, contact your system administrator. <host.domain.com #4.3.2> I don't know if this means anything....anybody??? found the problem...nevermind...was stupid symantec proxy....

huge xml
hi, I have to import a huge xml file into our system. the problem is that the xml source can be larger than 2GB. I wanted to use the XmlTextReader class for this purpose but it's limited to 2GB (which makes sense to me, why would people make so big xml files?). The xml file basically contains a big list of products, which I want to read one by one. The xml itself is referring to a dtd. Now I have 2 problems. First, of course that the validation will take ages (it needs to run later on a server enviroment) so I need a way to tell the XmlTextReader that it should ignore the dtd. second, I d...

Run workflow on email activity added to queue
I have a sales queue (CRM V3) that emails are automatically routed to when an email is sent to a sales user (a rule in Exchange). The email activities that are automatically created are set as completed and so cannot be edited. I would like to be able to set the status to Open so the due date can be modified before the activity is assigned, and then when the email is converted to an Opportunity, I want to map the Email activity due date to Opportunity Est. Close Date. Can anyone suggest a suitable method by which this can be achieved, in the first instance I was looking at starting a w...

Huge sheet for no reason
I have a worksheet with about 200 rows and 60 columns in one sheet and about half that in another sheet. The size of the file has become about 25MB!! It had some word emebeded object (logos) which I deleted and the size only went doen by 2 MB. If I try and export to a CSV file it takes a while, seems done but the CSV file cant be seen in the folder to which it was saved. What's going? Why is the file size so large and wht cant I save? Joel -- Sammeg Satellite PTY Ltd Po Box 43234 Industria 2042 South Africa www.samsat.co.za Tel +27114742666 Fax +27114742950 Open your spreadsh...

Delete Queues
Hi Guru's I have a problem with queues with exchange 2000. The mailroot\vsi 1\queue folder is empty but in exchange system manager under Server Protocols SMTP Queues there are hundreds of queues all remote delivery. Could someone please tell me how do I get rid of these queues? Thank you in advance "Steve" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi Guru's I have a problem with queues with exchange 2000. The mailroot\vsi 1\queue folder >is empty but in exchange system manager under Server Protocols SMTP Queues there are hundreds >of queues all remote de...

Replicate or customize "In Progress" queue view?
We are currently using CRM 4.0 as a service desk ticket system. Typically, IT users receive tickets (cases), and from there they may create a task on that ticket for another user. However, managing this has been quite a bit of a headache. For example, as an IT user, the only place that I can see both tickets and tasks assigned to me, is the "In Progress" queue. Which is something that I have to drill-down to every time. Not to mention all of the email activity that shows up. Is there an easier way to do this? Additionally, I can't create a report on record owner showing both en...