how to upgrade exchange and windows to 2003

Hello

I have a single domain model with Windows 2000 domain with 7 domain
controllers spread across 2 cities and 7 exchange 2000 servers spread across
2 cities. i want to upgrade to windows 2003 and exchange 2003. Exchange 2000
are currently installed on member servers in the domain.

I know that Windows 2003 does not support Exchange 2000, so I will have to
upgrade to Exchange 2003 first on member servers and then to Windows 2003
but I would like to know that for domain, is it safe to upgrade first few
domain controllers in one city and then roll out exchange 2003 in that city,
and then move on the second city and then again roll out Windows 2003 on
domain controllers first and then Exchange 2003 on the member servers?

i would appreciate to get a quick and detailed response on this

thanks
Imulet

0
m_imran00 (4)

Option A) Hire a consultant.
Option B) www.microsoft.com/technet

This is far too massive a design question for a newsgroup imho.  You haven't
even looked at where to start using the available web resources?  You
haven't come up with a single question other than "give me a quick and
detailed plan"?  Quick /and/ detailed?  They just don't go together.

Any further design here would be so frought with exceptions and conditions
and if this then else that it would be useless.

"Imulet" <m_imran00@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I have a single domain model with Windows 2000 domain with 7 domain
> controllers spread across 2 cities and 7 exchange 2000 servers spread
> across 2 cities. i want to upgrade to windows 2003 and exchange 2003.
> Exchange 2000 are currently installed on member servers in the domain.
>
> I know that Windows 2003 does not support Exchange 2000, so I will have to
> upgrade to Exchange 2003 first on member servers and then to Windows 2003
> but I would like to know that for domain, is it safe to upgrade first few
> domain controllers in one city and then roll out exchange 2003 in that
> city, and then move on the second city and then again roll out Windows
> 2003 on domain controllers first and then Exchange 2003 on the member
> servers?
>
> i would appreciate to get a quick and detailed response on this
>
> thanks
> Imulet

0
awebb7472 (650)
4/13/2005 7:08:21 AM
Imulet,

First I would suggest creating a lab with at least 2-3 Windows 2000 domain
controllers and 2-3 member server running Exchange 2000 servers.  You can
upgrade member servers from Windows 2000 to Windows 2003 at any time.  You
will have to practice with Exchange 2000 to see how the Windows 2000 upgrade
effects Exchange 2000.  Upgrading OS might go fine, then you will have to
follow detailed Microsoft instruction how to upgrade Exchange 2000 to
Exchange 2003 - OS has to be setup just right to make Exchange 2003 work.

Second, you might also test in the lab adding NEW Windows 2003 member, then
install Exchange 2003 and add to your Exchange organization and see how that
works.  You might have to consider moving all mailboxes to Exchange 2003
server, removing Exchange 2000 servers from organization and rebulding those
servers as Windows 2003 member with Exchange 2003 and adding them to
organization, then disctributing mailboxes as you had on Exchange 2000.

Third, you should test domain controller upgrade on first Windows 2000 DC
(operations master), then test upgrade on the rest of DCs.  I would spend
quite a long time testing and documenting all that, so you have a reference
manual for production upgrade.

My advise - Microsoft claims you can upgrade, but my observation over the
years and systems is - if you can BUILD new machine to replace the old one.
You will not have to deal with old stuff left over from previous system, old
applications that do not work, but you can't remove them and the comfort that
YOU setup the server the way YOU wanted it.

Monika

"Imulet" wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have a single domain model with Windows 2000 domain with 7 domain
> controllers spread across 2 cities and 7 exchange 2000 servers spread across
> 2 cities. i want to upgrade to windows 2003 and exchange 2003. Exchange 2000
> are currently installed on member servers in the domain.
>
> I know that Windows 2003 does not support Exchange 2000, so I will have to
> upgrade to Exchange 2003 first on member servers and then to Windows 2003
> but I would like to know that for domain, is it safe to upgrade first few
> domain controllers in one city and then roll out exchange 2003 in that city,
> and then move on the second city and then again roll out Windows 2003 on
> domain controllers first and then Exchange 2003 on the member servers?
>
> i would appreciate to get a quick and detailed response on this
>
> thanks
> Imulet

0
Monika (7)

Problem with Outlook 2003 (Cached Exchange Mode)
This user is insisting on using Cached Exchange Mode. The problem is that when it is turned on, it will not bring in mail beyond 2 days ago (ie. Tuesday and today). If I turn it off, he can see his inbox like normal (ie. Tues and today mail). At the bottom right hand corner of the screen, it says that the Inbox was last updated just a few minutes ago. I tried renaming his ost and let it recreate it. Also, if I log onto his machine as Administrator for the domain and create an Outlook profile for him from that logon. That uses a completely different .ost file in a totally different Windows...

Exchange 2003 Event ID 9322
We have an Exchange organization with 110 servers, about 40% of them are Exchange 2003 SP 2, the rest are Exchange 2000 SP 3. We are in the process of upgrading them. We have no 5.5 servers and are running in Native mode (no pre-2000 servers allowed). Yesterday we rebuilt on of the 2 primary bridgeheads for the entire organization. After we brought it back online and made it the master in the rotuing groups, then added it to all of the conenctors both local and remote, we began getting the following warnings in the event logs: Event Type: Warning Event Source: MSExchangeMTA Event Category: In...

Access 2003 macro problem
I've been developing with Access '97 for quite some time. But now that we've moved all of our customers to Access 2003 I'm going to do all of the development with that tool. I have a macro which worked great in '97. The macro was invoked by using the keystroke combination Ctrl-E. In a macro named Autokeys, the Macro Name is ^e and the action is the name of a Public Sub in a Module. When invoked with Ctrl-E while the cursor was positioned on the declaration line of a new Sub or Function (either in a Module or a Form's Class Module, etc.) it would create a skeleton...

Meeting Updates after applying Exchange Time Zone Tool
How do appointment updates work when applying the client os dst and the exchange timezone tool? I have read the meeting updates are sent after the exchange tool runs. Does Outlook sends meeting updates to the other recipients even if both host/attendee are in the same Exchange site and both clients have been updated with the dst update? In this scenario, it seems like there isn't anything that needs to be updated. On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 15:41:05 -0800, Davidi <Davidi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do appointment updates work when applying the client os dst and the...

Outlook 2003 Desktop Icon.
After removing Office XP and installing Office 2003, the Outlook Desktop icon disappeared. I would like to have it back, because it contains certain functions a normal shortcut doesn't have. Strangely, when I reinstall Office XP the Outlook XP Desktop icon appears. However, after installing again Office 2003 there's again no Outlook 2003 Desktop icon. I working with Windows XP Professional edition. This is normal and part of the new software requirements for Windows XP. (During the beta, adding the icon back via a reg hack introduced odd error messages.) Instead you can try thi...

Vista x86 Upgrade to Win7 x64

Exchange pop3 does not respond
Windows 2003 server Exchange 2003 sp1 Macafee Groupshield We when shutdown the server and bring it back up the pop3 will not accept connections from clients and does not generate a Error. When you check the services the pop3 is running, but when you go to stop restart just the pop3 service it will fail to start and just show starting in the status. We must then reboot the server again, wait for all the services to start up then stop IIS and its dependency (which include pop3) restart those dependencies then restart pop3 and it works. However, today we did manage to get a error. Event ...

Reading Pane in Outlook 2003
Is there a way, in outlook 2003, to disable the reading pane on all folders and to set the default for newly created folders to be disabled? eli silverman <elisilverman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there a way, in outlook 2003, to disable the reading pane on all > folders and to set the default for newly created folders to be > disabled? Start Outlook using the /nopreview switch. -- Brian Tillman ...

Exchange 5.5 event id 2042
Unable to get the AppleTalk network address of the Microsoft Exchange Server computer Is somebody know this error message? event id: 2042 on exchange 5.5 Thanks! Julie ...

Outlook 2003 sometimes very slow to retrieve
I'm using Outlook 2003 with Windows 2000. It's accessing several email accounts (same ones as Outlook 2000 was before upgrading). With one account in particular, retrieval slowed to a few bytes a second (not KB, bytes). I had 70+ messages backed up while it was crawling. I opened Outlook 2000 on another machine on the same network, and all the files came down in 30 seconds or less. Are there any particular settings to look for ? It's not accessing Exchange Server - just an email POP3 host. Thanks, Tom ...

Error in Scroll window
Hi, thnaks for reading. Dexterity 8, GP 8, SQL I have problems with one scroll window, let me try to explain: In the main window I have two scroll windows each one with information from diferent tables. In both scrolls I have one check box by row, in order to select records. The forst one scroll works properly, but the second one, is my problem. When I start cheking rows, in the second or third record checked, the scroll move all the rows, this mean, the record one are now the fifth record, the second si the first, etc. I appreciate your help Best regards. -- Jorge Diaz C Company: Wa...

moving Exchange to another drive
I'd like to move Exchange 2003 from the C: drive to the D: drive. How can I go about doing this? Thank you. If you mean the executables you'll probably want to do a reinstall. If you mean databases and log files you can just change the path within Exchange System Manager. For example, properties of the Storage group will let you change the log file path. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821915/en-us Nue "Glenn" <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eDZo3tgYGHA.1228@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > I'd like to move Exchange 2003 from the C: drive to the D: d...

Upgrading the CPU?

8.0 Upgrade

Cannot access some sort of mail items in exchange 2003
Hi everyone, I just migrated my 140 MBX to a new ex2k3/w2k3 server and everything worked fine except, that in some mailboxes, some items are not accessible. Problem A: User A and B cannot access PGP encrypted messages, that they sent to other people. Problem B: User C and D cannot access mails which they have replied to or they have forwarded. For Problem B I moved the mailboxes back to my "old" exchange running ex2k/w2k and everything worked again. In both cases it is possible to see the first charakters of the mail using the auto-preview. When I try to view the items in the pr...

Clean re-install of XP
I downloaded the file WindowsXP-KB976325-x86-ENU.exe, but it fails also, with the error; KB976325 Setup canceled Suggestions on how to resolve? Thank you, Terry R. -- Anti-spam measures are included in my email address. Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply. "Terry R." <F1Com@NOSPAMpobox.com> wrote in message news:%237XjRyxkKHA.5728@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >I downloaded the file WindowsXP-KB976325-x86-ENU.exe, > but it fails also, with the error; > > KB976325 Setup canceled There will be more explicit diagnostics ...

Announcement Coming: Holiday Card Contest 2003
Keep your eyes peeled for the upcoming details and full announcement for the 2nd Annual Microsoft Publisher Holiday Greeting Card contest! Stay tuned........ Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.kvalheim.org ...

Netscape browser; Outlook/Exchange email
Our organization's default email client is MS Outlook and default browser is Netscape. Is there a way to configure Netscape so that, in response to html mailto in the browser, either a) Outlook opens rather than Netscape Mail, or b) Netscape mail uses the exchange server? Thanks Dave dgmoore@erols.com <dgmoore@erols.com> wrote: > Our organization's default email client is MS Outlook and default > browser is Netscape. Is there a way to configure Netscape so that, in > response to html mailto in the browser, either a) Outlook opens rather > than Netscape Mail, or b)...

Urgent. configuration Exchange 2003
Good morning, I need to configure Exchange 2003 so that certain users can only receive and to send internal emails. Can they tell me exactly where I should configure it? Thank you Can you throw a hand? "Miguel A." <ma.camaleonNOSPAM@gmail.com> escribi� en el mensaje news:%23UXBupN0GHA.4408@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Good morning, > > I need to configure Exchange 2003 so that certain users can only receive > and to send internal emails. Can they tell me exactly where I should > configure it? > > Thank you > ...

Still battling 1.2>3.0 upgrade

Exchange Active Sync
Recently migrated a test user from exchange 2003 to our newly implemented exchange 2010. Everything works except Active Synch. I can no longer connect to server, which is still an exchange 2003 Bridgehead server. How can I get the Bridgehead to know to connect to exchange 2010 active synch. This worked before between sites with exchange 2003 and the bridgehead. Thanks, CK72264 Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice WPF GridView Sample To Insert, Update, and Delete Records http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/fc9a5bf6-f5bb-4443-a92a-c9a46fd3aeb2/wp...

Will Publisher 2002 work with Office 2003?
I have Publisher 2002 and I'm needing to update my Office software for school to 2003. Will my Publisher 2002 still work with Office 2003? Hi LaLana (LaLana@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || I have Publisher 2002 and I'm needing to update my Office software || for school to 2003. Will my Publisher 2002 still work with Office || 2003? Yes it will. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com ~pay it forward~ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Better watch it Brian. the last t...

XP Upgrade