How to tell if an email was sent or not

------=_NextPart_000_0058_01C42622.9A84E240

Hello:

I have a user who was accessing our company exchange 2000 server over =
VPN over the weekend. He was connected for many hours writing over 50 =
emails...Near the end of his session, he received about 50 "email =
undeliverable" messages pertaining to emails sent hours ago.

Now, when he got into the office today, he asked that I look deeply into =
the server logs to check to see if these emails did if fact get bounced, =
so to speak, or if they went as expected.

Can someone please show me how to check the exchange server for success =
or failure of sent emails?

Paul Dorn
------=_NextPart_000_0058_01C42622.9A84E240

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have a user who was accessing our =
company=20
exchange 2000 server over VPN over the weekend. He was connected for =
many hours=20
writing over 50 emails...Near the end of his session, he received about =
50=20
"email undeliverable" messages pertaining to emails sent hours =
ago.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Now, when he got into the office today, =
he asked=20
that I look deeply into the server logs to check to see if these emails =
did if=20
fact get bounced, so to speak, or if they went as expected.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Can someone please show me how to check =
the=20
exchange server for success or failure of sent emails?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Paul Dorn</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0058_01C42622.9A84E240--

0
paul1673 (31)

"paul dorn" <paul@seismicom.net> wrote:

>I have a user who was accessing our company exchange 2000 server over VPN over the weekend. He was connected for many hours writing over 50 emails...Near the end of his session, he received about 50 "email undeliverable" messages pertaining to emails sent hours ago.
>
>Now, when he got into the office today, he asked that I look deeply into the server logs to check to see if these emails did if fact get bounced, so to speak, or if they went as expected.
>
>Can someone please show me how to check the exchange server for success or failure of sent emails?

if you don't have smtp logging enabled it's a bit late to be asking.
if you do have it enabled, the answers should be in there. :)

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Paul
> "paul dorn" <paul@seismicom.net> wrote:
>
> >I have a user who was accessing our company exchange 2000 server over VPN
over the weekend. He was connected for many hours writing over 50
emails...Near the end of his session, he received about 50 "email
undeliverable" messages pertaining to emails sent hours ago.

> >Now, when he got into the office today, he asked that I look deeply into
the server logs to check to see if these emails did if fact get bounced, so
to speak, or if they went as expected.

> >Can someone please show me how to check the exchange server for success
or failure of sent emails?

> if you don't have smtp logging enabled it's a bit late to be asking.
> if you do have it enabled, the answers should be in there. :)
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

paul1673 (31)
4/20/2004 1:11:54 AM
WINNT\system32\LogFiles\SMTPSVC1.

paul dorn wrote:
> Alright, It wasn't on...but now that it is, where does this log file reside
> and what do I use to view it should the need arise again?
>
> Paul
> "Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message
>
>>"paul dorn" <paul@seismicom.net> wrote:
>>

>>>I have a user who was accessing our company exchange 2000 server over VPN
>
> over the weekend. He was connected for many hours writing over 50
> emails...Near the end of his session, he received about 50 "email
> undeliverable" messages pertaining to emails sent hours ago.
>
>>>Now, when he got into the office today, he asked that I look deeply into
>
> the server logs to check to see if these emails did if fact get bounced, so
> to speak, or if they went as expected.
>
>>>Can someone please show me how to check the exchange server for success
>
> or failure of sent emails?
>
>>if you don't have smtp logging enabled it's a bit late to be asking.
>>if you do have it enabled, the answers should be in there. :)
>>
>>--
>>Rich Matheisen
>>MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
>>MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

0
kpalagin1 (1216)

------=_NextPart_000_0076_01C426A3.37C10D60

Hi Paul,

With the logging turned on the Transport the information that you are =
looking for will be in the Application log in the Event Viewer. Take =
note though that with the logging turned up the App log will fill up =
very quickly.

--=20
Patrick Genova
Pgenova@online.microsoft.com
Please do not send mail directly to this alias. This alias is for =
Newsgroup purposes only.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no =
rights.

  "paul dorn" <paul@seismicom.net> wrote in message =
  Hello:

  I have a user who was accessing our company exchange 2000 server over =
VPN over the weekend. He was connected for many hours writing over 50 =
emails...Near the end of his session, he received about 50 "email =
undeliverable" messages pertaining to emails sent hours ago.

  Now, when he got into the office today, he asked that I look deeply =
into the server logs to check to see if these emails did if fact get =
bounced, so to speak, or if they went as expected.

  Can someone please show me how to check the exchange server for =
success or failure of sent emails?

  Paul Dorn
------=_NextPart_000_0076_01C426A3.37C10D60

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi Paul,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>With the logging turned on the =
Transport the=20
information that you are looking for will be in the Application log in =
the Event=20
Viewer. Take note though that with the logging turned up the App log =
will fill=20
up very quickly.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-- <BR>Patrick Genova<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:Pgenova@online.microsoft.com">Pgenova@online.microsoft.com=
</A><BR>Please=20
do not send mail directly to this alias. This alias is for Newsgroup =
purposes=20
only.<BR>This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and =
confers no=20
rights.<BR></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV>"paul dorn" &lt;<A=20
  href=3D"mailto:paul@seismicom.net">paul@seismicom.net</A>&gt; wrote in =
message=20
  <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:%236jAI1lJEHA.2904@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl">news:%236jAI1lJEHA.=
2904@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl</A>...</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello:</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have a user who was accessing our =
company=20
  exchange 2000 server over VPN over the weekend. He was connected for =
many=20
  hours writing over 50 emails...Near the end of his session, he =
received about=20
  50 "email undeliverable" messages pertaining to emails sent hours=20
  ago.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Now, when he got into the office =
today, he asked=20
  that I look deeply into the server logs to check to see if these =
emails did if=20
  fact get bounced, so to speak, or if they went as =
expected.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Can someone please show me how to =
check the=20
  exchange server for success or failure of sent emails?</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Paul =
Dorn</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0076_01C426A3.37C10D60--

0
pgenova (145)
4/20/2004 10:46:33 AM
"paul dorn" <paul@seismicom.net> wrote:

>Alright, It wasn't on...but now that it is, where does this log file reside

it's in the system32\logfiles\smtpsvcX directory (where X is probably
a "1") -- unless you placed it somewhere else.

>and what do I use to view it should the need arise again?

well, depending on the size of the log files, notepad works okay. or
you can import a (small) file into excel (it's a space-delimited
file).

make sure you've got the right information being logged. the default
set of data is pretty skimpy. if in doubt, log all the fields.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Also, I found that message tracker is by far a better place to go see how
messages fared once sent through the exchange server...SYSTEM
MANAGER/TOOLS/MESSAGE TRACKER

> "paul dorn" <paul@seismicom.net> wrote:
>
> >Alright, It wasn't on...but now that it is, where does this log file
reside

> it's in the system32\logfiles\smtpsvcX directory (where X is probably
> a "1") -- unless you placed it somewhere else.
>
> >and what do I use to view it should the need arise again?
>
> well, depending on the size of the log files, notepad works okay. or
> you can import a (small) file into excel (it's a space-delimited
> file).
>
> make sure you've got the right information being logged. the default
> set of data is pretty skimpy. if in doubt, log all the fields.
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

paul1673 (31)

Receiving Emails

Is this a bug? attach email in another email issues
If our users use rich text format and drag and drop another new email it will send without issue. But if they move the attached email around in the email (e.g. to position in another specific location in the text of the email) then it changes the format of the attachment and renders the email as unsavable (as a draft) and unsendable in Outlook 2003 - error of object not found is displayed. The same applies for Outlook 2000 but you can send the email but the recipient is unable to use the attached email. I can replicate this error in Outlook 2003 without fail. Is this a bug or just something ...

How to tell what folder an Opened Email is in ?
I use Google Desktop to find emails sometimes. (I have zillions saved in Outlook in various Outlook email folders) When Google Desktop finds the email it lets me open it in Outlook... But... I can't tell what Outlook Email Folder it is in. I could let Outlook search all my email folders but Google Desktop is so much faster. Can anyone tell me how, once an email is open in Outlook, to tell what Outlook folder it is in? thanks for any help. outlook doesn't have any way of showing you that information. It's better to use fewer folders and other mail management features lik...

Stop the duplication of all incoming emails.
My Outlook is duplicating all incoming email's, I have Home Vista Premium and Outlook 2007. I have not found a command to cancel out the duplication of each and every email. I would apreciate any help you can offer. Try uninstalling your integrated anti virus app, reboot, retest "Dbltime" <Dbltime@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:97B44A9D-FFFD-4BC3-B4CB-F83B9F3FDCCE@microsoft.com... > My Outlook is duplicating all incoming email's, I have Home Vista Premium > and > Outlook 2007. I have not found a command to cancel out the du...

Outlook 2003 Error 0X800CCC0B & OX80004210B EMAIL
I have to co-workers, that after installing the 30 day free trial version of Outlook 2003, run into several errors when attempting to send email. Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated to resolve this situation. "Task 'mail.mydomain.com (1) - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC0B) : 'Unknown Error 0x800CCC0B' and Task 'mail.mydomain.com (1) - Sending' reported error (0x8004210B) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service...

email accounts disappear
Suddenly when i was using microsoft outlook 2003 i want to make send and recieve as usual but what happend is when i click on the arrow next to the send and recieve botton i find no email accounts they are all gone and i recieve the following msg " dw.exe has caused a problem you need to restart microsoft outlook". and after i close microsoft outlook and open it a gain every thing back to normal, but afer 2-3min the same problem appears. Help is needed Chuck Something is causing, this of course. It is unlikely to be Outlook. Outlook has no code, I'm sure, to do this ...

How do I Email photos?
I am unable to email photos from My Pictures (Microsoft Office 2003). I have the option to email but when I try the message I get is "This email has not been sent" and there is no means to send it. Why? Have you set up an e-mail account within Outlook? If not, then there is your answer. If you have already set up an e-mail pop3 account, are you able to successfully send and receive regular e-mails? -- Nocturnal @ http://www.randomfix.com "Cathie" <Cathie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:016ED596-5039-4A37-AF07-54344F9C8EBD@microsoft.com.....

Outlook Freezing tell Exchange service restarted.
Server: Windows NT Small Business Exchange 5.5 SP4 NOTE: The server is also a SQL server, InterBase, and a Norton's Anti-Virus server. Client: Windows 2000 Pro Outlook/Office 2000 Norton's Anti-Virus Problem: About once to twice a week outlook (on all clients 30+) will not connect to the exchange server or outlook is connecting but it's freezing on the client computers. Temp fix: Restart the Exchange service on the server. Dose any one know how to fix the problem so that I don't have to keep restarting the exchange service? I fixed the problem: I stopped the Microsoft Lic...

Can't copy emails from public folder to my own folder?
Hi there, Server side exch2003sp1 BE & FE servers on w2k3 servers. On the BE server, created mail enabled public folder to receive emails. Client side outlook2003sp1 on winxpsp2. Now I would like to copy some of the emails from this public folder to my own inbox, however it said I don't have enough access right & check with your system admin, which is myself. In ESM, at that public folder's properties, permission tab, client permission, I've the following entries: default author administrator owner anonymous contributor Wondering what should I do to enable all...

Publisher and email
I just installed MS Professional 2003 on a new computer, I having trouble emailing a publisher document as a message. I do have the option to send as a mesage, so when I click send as message and type the email address in and click send, exit out of publisher and try to open outlook, outlook will not open up. (It is default email application) If I bring up the task manager, under processes there are two applications of outlook running. How do I fix this issue? I can email attachments without issue. The purpose of emailing as a mesages is create and send email newsletters to my customer...

outlook email #13
Could I somehow set to send a monthly email in outlook? ...

How do I set up a group contact for email in Outlook 2007?
I'm somewhat new to Outlook. Had been using Outlook 2003 for contacts and calendar but still using Eudora (sponsored) for email. I've now bought a new computer and using Outlook 2007 (& Win7) for all. I also sync with my Windows mobile phone. I send out a support group meeting reminder as a volunteer. I have 21 email addresses on the list currently. I do not know most of the people. In Eudora, I had one contact with all the email addresses in the 1 contact. I would like to do the same in Outlook 2007, especially since I sync and don't want to clutter up the co...

Email from access 11-25-09
Can anyone point me in the right direction for sending emails from an access database. I would like the user to be able to click on a button and have an email sent to an address stored in the table with an attachment created by the access form. (ex. attach an excel sheet to the email). Doing a google search I've only been able to find examples of linking access with outlook, which i do not use. Thanks Glenn There are various solutions depending on your needs. Take a look at the ..SendObject Method or if you wish to automate Outlook then take a look at http://www.d...

Rule to delete sent meeting invitations
How do I create a rule that only deletes meeting invitations or invitation responses that I send? For all other messages that I send, I want them kept in the Sent folder. I'm on Outlook 2003. Thx Hall <hall@garp.org> wrote: > How do I create a rule that only deletes meeting invitations or > invitation responses that I send? For all other messages that I > send, I want them kept in the Sent folder. When you create the meeting request and before you send it, click File>Properties and uncheck the "Save copy of sent message" box. -- Brian Tillman Brian...

Moving Email from Pc to laptop
Dear Learned Friends, I had a PC on which I was using Outlook 2000 and was receiving my email through exchange server. I then got a new laptop with Outlook 2003 and all my old emails transferred across to the laptop when I hooked into exchange, no problem, and I ceased using the old pc for a time. Then for one reason or another I had to boot up the old pc to get something off it and I started up Outlook 2000 on it and all my emails etc transferred back to the old pc. I switched it off and opened up the laptop and all my old emails etc were gone and I only have emails from that particu...

Is it true that Out of the Office Replies are only sent once a day
I had someone tell me that OOTO is only sent once a day. Is this true? I have an Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition. Thanks in advance. Robert On Wed, 24 May 2006 13:09:02 -0700, Bob the Ohioian <BobtheOhioian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I had someone tell me that OOTO is only sent once a day. Is this true? > >I have an Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition. > >Thanks in advance. > >Robert Nope. Once per sender while it is active. Hi Robert, Out of office replies are only sent once to each e-mail address that sends you an e-mail during the full durati...

Default email text size?
Outlook & Word 2003. I have Word set as my email editor. When I click for a new email it starts with a default font sized of 10. How do I change to a larger default? Word is set to default to size 12 and does this when it is started independently but when it comes up for emails it is 10. Thanks in advance... Bob Bob, Just open a new e-mail (blank) and click on Tools>Options>General>E-mail Options>Personal Stationery. Under the heading "New E-mail Messages" click Font. Then make your selections as to size, color, font,etc. Then just click OK to back your...

email not getting through
Strange problem, but 1 email will not be sent, the queue just shows the email as retrying, but we can receive email fine from the this sender, we are running ORF, but this should not stop emails going out, only coming in. The email address belongs to our chairman lol, so I really need to fix this, I can send mail to it fine using my own personal mail servers, but the exchange server will not, all other mail gets sent fine, and DNS is working perfect. Exchange 2003 all service packs, and load balancing 2 x 2mb DSL lines. Any help would be appreciated Ronny "Ronny" <ad...

Who could tell me?
Hello all: I create a single document,and it is running ,and now I want to get some information on it through another application, except hWnd for CView and CFrameWnd what I could get some information for CDocument and CWinApp?Thanks. As far as running slow, it would be extraordinarily difficult to say what that is given that you haven't even told us what is "running" or "slow". You cannot access CDocument, CWinApp, or any other object from another application. Applications run in completely different memory spaces and, even if you passed a pointer, it would...

can't get any new email messages
Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'pop.ubtanet.com', Server: 'pop.ubtanet.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F what dose all this crap mean?????? this doesen't show me how to fix anyting The error "unexpectedly terminated" is usually caused by interference from an antivirus program. Which antivirus are you running? As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus should be turned off, a...

email mix up?
i have several accounts on my outlook. Two of which are through optonline.net. Sometimes when I write an email from my account the reply will end up in my girlfriends account. I am not sure why this is happening but I was hoping someone else may have had this same problem and could help me fix it. Thanks! you don't say which version of Outlook you're using, or if you have individual user accounts in Windows, but ... For Outlook 2002 with 2 email accounts.... In the email you are composing select Accounts from the toolbar and select which account you want to send from. When the ...

if this pay, please tell me .hope not swindle!
http://richptr.net/pages/index.php?refid=websp ...

Hidden Email Addresses
Hi Everyone, We're running Exchange 2K. As the administrator, there are times when I need to hide an address from the GAL but still need to add it to my folder list in Outlook 2K. I can't do this unless I unhide the address from the GAL. Has anyone run into this problem. Unhide, add, hide or specify DN of user when setting his profile. LA wrote: > Hi Everyone, > > We're running Exchange 2K. As the administrator, there are times when I need to hide an address from the GAL but still need to add it to my folder list in Outlook 2K. I can't do this unless I unhide ...

Deleting email addresses from memory
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have Entourage 2008. One thing I have noticed is that when I receive (and possibly compose / send) an email, that email address is stored in Entourage. I am not talking about adding an email address to my address book. I'm talking about the automated smart list that you get when typing a new message. <br><br>For example, at one point I got an email from citicards@citibank. Now, everytime I go to type a new email, when I enter the letter 'c' into the address field, I got a whole list of names...

List of email addresses from all email messages in outlook
Linked in, facebook, and a few other online services allow you to upload a comma delimited listing of email addresses to see if there are folks registered on the service who you know. I would like a program or add-in or utility search my outlook 2007 pst file and make a list of every email address it finds. These would not be from my contacts, or not just from contacts, but from the headers and body of my received and sent emails. I would think this would be a popular utility. Any idea if something like that exists, preferably free? By the way I did look at the lists of pr...