How to search user mailbox store - deleted messages

Everyone,

I am a relatively new Exchange Server administrator.  It's running on a
Windows 2003 server and client workstations are running Outlook.  I
have a request from my manager to be able to view folders of other
users, including deleted items.  We're trying to identify messages from
a specific external user that could result in a security breach, and we
don't want the users to be aware of this.

The only thing I knew to do was to assign him Full rights in
Active Directory to each user's mailbox. After doing this, I had
him click File, Open, Another user's mailbox, and he still wasn't able
to view their folders.  Is there a way to access the priv1.edm file and
perform a search on the user's name?  Is the information in this
database the same information that is currently residing in the users's
folders?  Any direction would be helpful.

Also, how can I somehow access or give him access to the 'deleted'
messages?

I told you I was new to Exchange!  HELP!!!

0
fpdowney (3)

You would need third-party tools to do such discovery on the Stores
directly.
--
Bharat Suneja
MCSE, MCT

<fpdowney@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Everyone,
>
> I am a relatively new Exchange Server administrator.  It's running on a
> Windows 2003 server and client workstations are running Outlook.  I
> have a request from my manager to be able to view folders of other
> users, including deleted items.  We're trying to identify messages from
> a specific external user that could result in a security breach, and we
> don't want the users to be aware of this.
>
> The only thing I knew to do was to assign him Full rights in
> Active Directory to each user's mailbox. After doing this, I had
> him click File, Open, Another user's mailbox, and he still wasn't able
> to view their folders.  Is there a way to access the priv1.edm file and
> perform a search on the user's name?  Is the information in this
> database the same information that is currently residing in the users's
> folders?  Any direction would be helpful.
>
> Also, how can I somehow access or give him access to the 'deleted'
> messages?
>
> I told you I was new to Exchange!  HELP!!!

0
bharatsuneja1 (3145)
10/15/2005 12:57:10 AM
to access all the folders in a mailbox, the person will need full access,
then either add the mailbox to the exisiting outlook profile, or configure a
separate outlook profile for that mailbox...if you want to be able to see
items in the dumpster, you need to do the latter...

<fpdowney@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Everyone,
>
> I am a relatively new Exchange Server administrator.  It's running on a
> Windows 2003 server and client workstations are running Outlook.  I
> have a request from my manager to be able to view folders of other
> users, including deleted items.  We're trying to identify messages from
> a specific external user that could result in a security breach, and we
> don't want the users to be aware of this.
>
> The only thing I knew to do was to assign him Full rights in
> Active Directory to each user's mailbox. After doing this, I had
> him click File, Open, Another user's mailbox, and he still wasn't able
> to view their folders.  Is there a way to access the priv1.edm file and
> perform a search on the user's name?  Is the information in this
> database the same information that is currently residing in the users's
> folders?  Any direction would be helpful.
>
> Also, how can I somehow access or give him access to the 'deleted'
> messages?
>
> I told you I was new to Exchange!  HELP!!!

0
susan1334 (131)
10/15/2005 4:38:53 PM
I agree with Susan. You may also wish to explore how to enable the
dumpster key in the registry (if you want to see the items whihc
bypaased the "deleted items" folder. Here is the steps to enable
Dumpster - http://www.messagingtalk.org/content/112.html

--
Shaji Firoz
http://www.MessagingTalk.org - The Microsoft Exchange Portal

0
shajifiroz (14)

Pre-fill a User Name on Onload
I am working with CRM 4.0. I have created a custom entity called Projects and have created a relationship with the User system entity and have named it Editor. I would like to pre-fill the name of a person in the Editor. I am new to java script. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Hi Andy, Following URL is from CRM SDK. It will guide you how to write JScript code for lookup field; http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb928151.aspx -- uMar Khan :: MS CRM MVP Microsoft CRM Consultant Email :: imumar at gmail dot com Blog :: http://umarkhan.wordpress.com MVP :: https://mvp.suppor...

Pass argument for a command waiting for user input
Hi All, I am using perforce, in one scenario after execution of the command it keeps waiting for the user input on the command prompt. Once i give it displays some data and exits. I need to pass the argument after execution of the command in my automation script. Please let me know how that can be done. Also i need to capture the data. Thanks in advance. Harsha Check this http://openadda.com ...

Moving mailbox
Hi! I have a mailbox on an Exchange 200 server that I try to move to my Exchange 2003 server using the Exchange Task Wizard. Everything runs fine until the process reaches 100%. Then it hangs on "Saving changes to the directory". I had it running in this state for almost 24 hours without it finishing and the only way to stop it is to kill Exchagne System Manager. Anyone has an idea whats causing this behavior? Best regards Mats Wernolf We have the same problem here. it happens randomly and i haven't been able to find any cause. Anyone... Anyone... fletch@barnet...

Searching for Newsgroups

Error Message 0x800CCC78
Whenever I try to send emails from Outlook Express 2002, I receive the error message 0x800CCC78 - Unable to send the message. Please verify the email address in your account properties. I have actually changes email addresses> I have called my ISP. The y say since I am able to send emails through the web, it is not their problem. I have also tried to switch over to MS Outlook Express - same error message appears when send ing emails. Please let me know how to resolve this problem. Are you using Outlook 2002 or Outlook Express? There is no such beast as Outlook Express 2002. If y...

Error message.
Hello, I am using GP 7.50g3. I have installed the GP into a new notebook that come with Windows Xp SP2 and get the following message. I have re-install GP many times and still having the same problem. "The Great_plains.vbs project references some objects that cannot be found. These objects are listed in file: C:\MBS\GPS75\Dynamics.txt" What should I be doing to get this issue sorted out. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks You have some custom vba in dynamics.vba. If you rename it, you will not get the message when you start GP. Of course, you won't have ...

Attaching an open email message to another message
Hello, If I have opened a message (call it message-1) by some means (say from some desktop search application) and i'm composing another message (say, message-2), is there some easy way to attach message-1 to message-2? Currently, the only way I know of doing this is to find the Outlook folder where message-1 lives, hunt for message-1 there, and then drag it into message-2. If I already have message-1 opened, is there some shortcut to getting it into message-2? Thanks! No, whether message-1 is open or not has nothing to do with how you = attach it to message-2. --=20 Sue Mosher, Out...

Search & replace in formulae

Search engine optimization

Exchange User Properties on Exchange 5.5
For about 10 minutes none of my client machines could access the properties for the exchange server (i.e. to change the server or client settings for authentication). I do see any errors in the event log. Are there any processes that run that can cause such a problem. At about the same time I did see the database was defragging. Thanks EMcGrath@HCA_NOSPAM_Vendor.com <EMcGrathHCANOSPAMVendorcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >For about 10 minutes none of my client machines could access the properties >for the exchange server (i.e. to change the server or client settin...

BUG: Outlook treats new message window as a dialog box
Applies to: Outlook 2000/2002/2003 (possibly also earlier versions, but not tested) Tested with: OL 2000 on Windows 98 SE OL 2003 on Windows XP Pro SP2 SYMPTOMS When Outlook is called externally to create a new message, it will treat the new message window as a dialog box. This has the consequence that the whole application is locked until one disposes of the "dialog box" either by sending the message or closing it. An alternative scenario is such that Outlook is not running, and the call is made to create a new message. In such case, if one attempts to start Outlook, one gets the...

Any Liquor store RMS Users
Are there any Liquor store using RMS ? Is anyone willing to share some of their best practices, some ways they do things. Is there anything as "best practices' booklet for Liquor store using RMS, Few questions i have How is your inventory kept? Is everything by case based on supplier item numbers and than having a parent/child relationship to single item (bottle, 6 pack , etc) Or is it better to keep inventory by bottle with fast moving items having parent/child relationship How do you cover the need for extra fields needed Size Price per ounce Type, Proof Verital(types ...

Prices and cost Set to zero when exporting a new store
When I export a new store with 1.2.085v from headquarters all the cost and price information is set to zero. I have seen that there is a fix for 1.3v but i cannot seem to find any other fix for our version. Any suggestions? Thanks Joe Just run worksheets to update the cost and price. Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://www.tibercreek.com glenn@tibercreek.com ---------------------------------------------- Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all responses here in the newsgroup so that all can share the information. Joe Gonzalez wrote: > When I export a new store with ...

excel VBA

why do mailbox limits take time to come into effect?
Hello, If i change someones limits, they cannot imediatly send messages (it still says that they have exceeded their limit). why does this take approx 1 hr? The user is connected to the exchange server (1 of 1). It should not need time to replicate, because it should not have anything to do with AD, DC, GC. What am i missing? thanks A This sounds like http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;327378&sd=RMVP "aaron.whittaker" <aaronwhittaker2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:2c874ed1.0501241531.2809889b@posting.google.com... > Hello, > If i chan...

cannot send as an e-mail message
I just purchased Pub 2007 and have been using Office 2003 with Outlook 2003 as my default mail. I do not get the Send as an e-mail option. in this publication http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/HA102200511033.aspx The following excerpts exist. ======= Open the publication that contains the page or pages that you want to send as an e-mail message. On the File menu, point to Send E-mail, and then click Send as Message. In the Send as Message dialog box, click Send all pages or Send current page only, and then click OK. Note If your publication has only one page, the Send ...

Multiple fields using to search
Hi, Something i've been batteling for weeks with and theres probably such a simple answer to it and i just cant see it: Riiiight, i have this form (lets call it frmClientSearch) On this form i have a 2 list box thinghys; One called lstEmployee which is populated with Employee names and the other lstCity which is populated with City Names. Then i have a command button (cmdSearch) which, once click and values selected in both the lst boxes, should return only the values that are equal to both the lst boxes in a new form called frmSearchResult. (Hope i make sense) So... I know how ...

Search, Search, Thanks
In the last couple of weeks I have been fighting with different ways o synching my laptop and my home pc. I have ended up with numerou duplicate entries, duplicate address books and duplicate contact lists ALL of my questions/problems I was able to resolve simply by searchin through the forums. Chances are if you have a problem you're not th first. There are some really good people on these forums that know alo more about Outlook than I do. Just my .02 Thank ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages dir...

CRM 1.2 How to get queue to e-mail CRMEnabled users
We are running Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition and a Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition MS Exchange server. Can not get the CRM Queue to e-mail other users. E-mails come fine to support queue, but not to us. What do we have to do to configure the mail server properly, the CRM Router is in place on mail server, but there is something else missing. Any help would be great full thanks!!! alfuller@mobilewires.com ...

How to use EXMERGE for mailboxes over 2GB
We are running Exchange 2003 and use Exmerge for daily backups of the mailboxes. How do use Exmerge for the mailboxes that are over 2GB? Thanks You can't. ExMerge doesn't support PST files larger than 2GB. "Anne Butera" <AnneButera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:83CD6362-B3FA-4973-A9B4-F2D230421F4A@microsoft.com... > We are running Exchange 2003 and use Exmerge for daily backups of the > mailboxes. How do use Exmerge for the mailboxes that are over 2GB? > > Thanks On 3/1/2010 11:47 AM, Anne Butera wrote: > We ...

Spell checker / ignore original message in reply or forward
When forwarding or replying, the spell checker will sometimes check to the reply header information, and sometimes the entire original message. I have checked the "Ignore original message text" in setup. Is there something else to do? Thanks -- M. Cooper If you're using the option to prefix a character to each line of a reply (typically a '>') the original will get checked. Not sure if there's a way around it. "coopfab" <coopfab@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:45FE937E-8C17-4860-8D7A-9548BFF32390@microsoft.com... > Wh...