How to reduce load on exisisting server 5.5?

HI

I have currently 1100 users on NT 4.0 exhchange 5.5 sp4 machine. This 
machine is also the PDC.
The peak processor utilization is around 75% to 80 % . The server is already 
dual processor with 2GB RAM and memory/processor resource upgrade is out of 
question. The total Exchnage database is aroung 8GB(priv+pub)
My Managment wants me to add additonal 100 users on this server .But I don' 
t want to degrade the server performance anymore by additional users mail 
boxes in the same server.I have though of the following alternatives.you guys 
pls advice if its ok.

1. Will be adding a new Site server in the same location and adding the new 
mail boxes in this site server .Will there be a seperate priv.EDB on the new 
site server.?Will this decrease load on the exisistng server?

I would eventually would be  moving  all mail boxes from my existing mail 
server to this new Site server . What do you think will be the problems in 
this regard? I want to do this for me to be able to migrate from exhchange 
5.5 to exchange 2003/higher version later on,on this new better  box.Do you 
think this strategy is OK

2.Bring in another box as a BDC and the promote this box as PDC and demote 
the PDC  role of the exchange server to BDC.So user authentication load is 
offloaded from the exchange server to the New PDC.

3. Any other feasible action.Pls adivce

-regards
SP


0
SP (40)
10/19/2004 5:53:02 AM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 2 followers. Follow

4 Replies
412 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 35

"=?Utf-8?B?U1A=?=" <SP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
news:7D0A1C25-818B-413E-B82D-468F299AC8B0@microsoft.com: 

> 2.Bring in another box as a BDC and the promote this box as PDC and
> demote the PDC  role of the exchange server to BDC.So user
> authentication load is offloaded from the exchange server to the New
> PDC. 

You are pushing the limits of a single 5.5 server, but I like the idea of 
having a separate PDC, if only for disaster recovery...

Regards,

-- 
Arlo Clizer
Exchange MVP
FAQ: http://www.exchangefaq.org
Archives: http://groups.google.com
0
aclizer1 (399)
10/19/2004 4:56:37 PM
"SP" <SP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have currently 1100 users on NT 4.0 exhchange 5.5 sp4 machine. This 
>machine is also the PDC.
>The peak processor utilization is around 75% to 80 % . The server is already 
>dual processor with 2GB RAM and memory/processor resource upgrade is out of 
>question. 

Adding another server is probably a better idea. Moving away from
Exchange 5.5 is an even better idea. :)

>The total Exchnage database is aroung 8GB(priv+pub)

That's not very big for 1,100 mailboxes. It sounds like everyone's
using PSTs!

>My Managment wants me to add additonal 100 users on this server .But I don' 
>t want to degrade the server performance anymore by additional users mail 
>boxes in the same server.I have though of the following alternatives.you guys 
>pls advice if its ok.
>
>1. Will be adding a new Site server in the same location and adding the new 
>mail boxes in this site server .Will there be a seperate priv.EDB on the new 
>site server.?

Yes.

>Will this decrease load on the exisistng server?

No. In fact, it'll probably increase the workload on the machine as it
will now have to deal with directory replication (assuming you have
only one server in the site/organization right now). You'll also add
public folder replication to the mix.

>I would eventually would be  moving  all mail boxes from my existing mail 
>server to this new Site server . What do you think will be the problems in 
>this regard? 

That you purchased an underpowered server for the job.

>I want to do this for me to be able to migrate from exhchange 
>5.5 to exchange 2003/higher version later on,on this new better  box.Do you 
>think this strategy is OK

Before you worry about Exchange, consider that you'll have to move to
Active Directory. When that chore's finished, the move to Exchange
2003 will surprise you. It's not at all difficult to move those 1100
mailboxes to an Exchange 2003 server of modest horsepower. We have
serveral servers with between 2,500 and 5,500 mailboxes and they're
trouble free (well, except for the occasional DSAccess slowdowns, but
that's just a matter that can be addressed by tossing another GC into
the site).

>2.Bring in another box as a BDC and the promote this box as PDC and demote 
>the PDC  role of the exchange server to BDC.So user authentication load is 
>offloaded from the exchange server to the New PDC.

Always a good idea.

>3. Any other feasible action.Pls adivce

Get Exchange off the domain controller.

-- 
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm
0
richnews (7316)
10/20/2004 2:05:22 AM
Thanks a lot Rich ,Your feed back is extremely structured and good. I have 2 
more questions

1. Will a site server be useful when it comes disaster recovery,say for Eg 
if the 1st server goes down and is beyond recovery,In what way the site 
server will help in this scenario?
2.Where can I find more information on 5.5 Site server setup.

-regards
SP.

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:

> "SP" <SP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> 
> >I have currently 1100 users on NT 4.0 exhchange 5.5 sp4 machine. This 
> >machine is also the PDC.
> >The peak processor utilization is around 75% to 80 % . The server is already 
> >dual processor with 2GB RAM and memory/processor resource upgrade is out of 
> >question. 
> 
> Adding another server is probably a better idea. Moving away from
> Exchange 5.5 is an even better idea. :)
> 
> >The total Exchnage database is aroung 8GB(priv+pub)
> 
> That's not very big for 1,100 mailboxes. It sounds like everyone's
> using PSTs!
> 
> >My Managment wants me to add additonal 100 users on this server .But I don' 
> >t want to degrade the server performance anymore by additional users mail 
> >boxes in the same server.I have though of the following alternatives.you guys 
> >pls advice if its ok.
> >
> >1. Will be adding a new Site server in the same location and adding the new 
> >mail boxes in this site server .Will there be a seperate priv.EDB on the new 
> >site server.?
> 
> Yes.
> 
> >Will this decrease load on the exisistng server?
> 
> No. In fact, it'll probably increase the workload on the machine as it
> will now have to deal with directory replication (assuming you have
> only one server in the site/organization right now). You'll also add
> public folder replication to the mix.
> 
> >I would eventually would be  moving  all mail boxes from my existing mail 
> >server to this new Site server . What do you think will be the problems in 
> >this regard? 
> 
> That you purchased an underpowered server for the job.
> 
> >I want to do this for me to be able to migrate from exhchange 
> >5.5 to exchange 2003/higher version later on,on this new better  box.Do you 
> >think this strategy is OK
> 
> Before you worry about Exchange, consider that you'll have to move to
> Active Directory. When that chore's finished, the move to Exchange
> 2003 will surprise you. It's not at all difficult to move those 1100
> mailboxes to an Exchange 2003 server of modest horsepower. We have
> serveral servers with between 2,500 and 5,500 mailboxes and they're
> trouble free (well, except for the occasional DSAccess slowdowns, but
> that's just a matter that can be addressed by tossing another GC into
> the site).
> 
> >2.Bring in another box as a BDC and the promote this box as PDC and demote 
> >the PDC  role of the exchange server to BDC.So user authentication load is 
> >offloaded from the exchange server to the New PDC.
> 
> Always a good idea.
> 
> >3. Any other feasible action.Pls adivce
> 
> Get Exchange off the domain controller.
> 
> -- 
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm
> 
0
SP (40)
10/20/2004 6:45:04 AM
"SP" <SP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks a lot Rich ,Your feed back is extremely structured and good. I have 2 
>more questions
>
>1. Will a site server be useful when it comes disaster recovery,say for Eg 
>if the 1st server goes down and is beyond recovery,In what way the site 
>server will help in this scenario?

I'm not sure what you mean what you refer to a "site server". If you
may "another server in the site" then the answer is that it will not
help at all. 

However, having another server to which you can restore the O/S and
registry (keeping the same server name as the failed server), and then
restoring the Exchange directory and databases will help.

>2.Where can I find more information on 5.5 Site server setup.

The "Books online" should tell you what you need to know. Installing
another server in the site will work if you installed the FULL
Exchange 5.5 and didn't use the upgrade product to bring an Exchange
5.0 server up to 5.5. If you did that you will NOT be able to add
another server to the site. You can add another site, but you're
limited to just one server in a site because the heuristics values
(it's what tells the software how to act) don't include the intra-site
replication necessary for the directory to functionproperly.


-- 
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm
0
richnews (7316)
10/21/2004 2:47:00 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

outlook timing out to server
I set up my dad's new Dell with outlook for email. Everything was working fine. I did the service updates that Microsoft recommended and now I cannt send or get email. It never connects to the server. Any help is apprecaited. My ISP was stumped and could not figure it out. dialup or broadband (cable/dsl)? if broadband, are you behind a router that lets you share a single ip address? -- Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account will be deleted w/out reading. "egriffit@prodigy.net" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:03bd01c...

Excel XP wont load. Please help!
I just put Office XP back on my system, and all the apps load, but excel. I tried loading it, then it wants to try in safe mode, then detect / repair mode, but it doesnt load. I tried a complete reinstall, no go. I am running winxp, and read microsofts website on trouble shooting. Nothing has worked, I deleted temp files, tried to load it in windows xp safe mode, nothing works. Any ideas please? Maybe theres something in the xlstart folder that messes up things "just an idea" Toedels "BoDEAN" <jbo@aol.com> schreef in bericht news:qlq1nvocjs6p5gbi2mb8ra4aatt43a...

reduce document print size
This seems like it should be an obvious answer, but I can't figure it out. I have a 24"x18" sign in Publisher, I want to reduce it to postcard size, or about 6"x4.5". I can't find any print driver setting to allow me to do this. There is a setting for 25% reduction but thats a function of the printer driver. Does publisher have a function to allow me to reduce the print size down to 12.5%? Hmmm.... I suppose I could output to jpg and reduce with photoshop.... surely there is a much easier answer though. Thanks! If there is text involved, the conversion...

How to reduce table?
I have a table with over 5000 rows. However, only about 2500 rows contain info, the rest are empty rows (one row with info, next empty, etc). I deleted a few rows by clicking on them and holding Ctrl key. But is there a way to delete several hundreds of empty rows at once? If there is, may someone please tell me how to do it! -- Ilya Zeldes Fort Myers, Florida Select a column that has empty cells. F5>Special>Blanks>OK. Edit>Delete>Entire Rows. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 21:56:51 -0400, "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote: >I h...

SQL Server administration scritpts for a new server?
I would appreciate if someone can guide me on where I can find useful administration scripts (daily, weekly, monthly, etc) I can setup for a news server. Also let me know if any performance related scripts I can run to get recommendation for improvement, etc. On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 10:38:53 -0700 (PDT), SQL <texassqldba@gmail.com> wrote: >I would appreciate if someone can guide me on where I can find useful >administration scripts (daily, weekly, monthly, etc) I can setup for a >news server. Also let me know if any performance related scripts I can >run to get recomm...

SSL certificate server name is incorrect (ID no: c103b404)
Yes, I know error "c103b404" has been brought up before, but I have a different situation than any I've read. We have a single Windows 2003 server in "mydomain.local" running IIS & Exchange that hosts "mydomain.com" with OWA. If we issue a certificate to "mydomain.com", all SSL web traffic and OWA see a valid certificate without a Security Alert (assuming our CA is trusted by the end user). However, Exchange System Manager won't allow us to view Public Folders, claiming "The SSL certificate server name is incorrect. ID no: c103...

Reinstall Windows on the DPM server without losing replicas?
Is it possible to wipe and reinstall Windows on a DPM server without losing the replicas and recovery points? I understand that the DPM replica and recovery point volumes are stored in Windows' Logical Disk Manager database. If Windows is reinstalled on the DPM server and the LDM database is lost, is it possible to use a backed up copy of DPMDB.bak and the replica and recovery point data on the disk enclosures to rebuild the DPM server without losing all of the backup data? Also, would it matter whether its Windows Server 2003 or 2008/2008 R2, or DPM 2007 or DPM 2010? ...

loading toolbar images
Hi, Do someone have in their archives a function that pulls bitmap images from a toolbar image? Somthing like: HBITMAP = GetToolbarImage(UINT nToolbar_resource_ID, UINT nImageIndex, ButtonCx, ButtonCy); So if the images were (from left) (0)Cut, (1)Copy, (2)Paste, then GetToolbarImage(ID_TOOLBAR, 2, 16, 15) would fetch the Paste image (zero based index). Like the LoadBitmap(..) function, but from a toolbar image. If not, can somone hint how i can get started on performing this function? joe # OK, i solved my problem, well almost..., i have 2 questions... (1) Is there any way th...

Multiple Exchange Servers
I know you can only set up one Exchange Server in Outlook but was wondering if anyone has a clever workaround. I am a consultant and have an Exchange account in my office and two or three other exchange accounts at some clients. I have Outlook 2003 installed on a notebook and want to be able to access the exchange server of the location I am at and store all messages from all exchange servers in a single personal or offline folder. Does anyone have any ideas how to get around this? Connect to the other servers by IMAP instead. -- Roady [MVP] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the mon...

Ms sql server 2000 access
Hi. Does anyone know how to connect to MS SQL server 2000 using VC++ 2003? Thanks. ...

Reducing the Database
I hope someone can verify this for me as I read it and cant find the original source again. I had a user with a mailbox size of 1g. I have deleted every item in his mailbox, with the exception of a few emails (no attachment) and expect his mailbox size to be well under 50 mb. I have did not perform an offline defrag on this mail server, but rather moved the user to a new mail server. Should his current mailbox size now reflect 50 mb or will it show 1g as it did on the other server? Thanks Ken Depends :-) What is your Deleted Items Retention policy? If you deleted everything yesterda...

Move Exchange to new server
Hello all Currently we have exchange 2003 sp2 installed on one of our 2000 DC\GC We have bought a new server that we will dedicate to Exchange only. After I move all the mailboxes, public folders, and system folders from the DC\GC\Exchange box to the dedicated server, can i then remove Exchange 2003 from the 2000 DC? If so could you please point me to the article on how to move exchange to another server, and how also how to remove exchange ? The dedicated server running Exhchagne will be 2003 sp1. We have 3 2000 DC in the forest that i will upgrade to 2003 Thanks Follow this artic...

Load Excel with focus on A1
I have a spreadsheet containning multiple sheets. I would like to be able to load the spreadsheet and to have all sheets with focus on a1. Is there a code i could put in Myworbook or is there something else I could do to have it automativcally load with focus on A! each time. The reason why is that many people do view the spreadsheet and when it opens I need to be initialize to A1. Thanks Fab -- Fabiolus ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Fabiolus's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28340 View this thread: htt...

552 5.5.3 Too many recipients
The e-mail system limits the number of recipients that can be addressed in a single message. Send the message multiple times to fewer recipients. <HRCEMAIL.hddf.com #5.5.3 smtp;552 5.5.3 Too many recipients> i checked to see the recipents defaults and they are setup to be 5000 under exchange mgr. what else do i need to check ? -- david where did you check? "davidn" <davidn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E3DDE25-88DD-4D89-9B63-6A6A3366DE5C@microsoft.com... > The e-mail system limits the number of recipients that can be addressed in...

Exchange 2k3 backup
Finally decided to really learn Exchange... someone else migrated the Exchange server from SBS to Exchange Enterprise 2k3... I've never really rolled up my sleeves in learning it in-depth so I've decided to set up a new server and install the Exchange 2k3 as a backup. Since I'm a relatively newbie to Exchange, can someone point me in the right direction to follow so that I can duplicate our live Exchange server onto a backup box? Any pitfalls to watch out for? Thanks, R Green your only options for a "backup" box are to use some version of clustering, or to use a 3r...

Loading Office 2008 for MAC Stalls at Auto Update step - Won't Continue to Load Software
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar) Processor: Power PC Hi, I have tried 3 times (unsuccessfully) to load a new copy of MS Office 2008 for MAC - Product ID 92715-501-8109773-12081 onto my daughter's MAC OS 10 It has removed the previous version of Office, I had all other applications shut down (including Messenger) jsut in case - and loaded well all the way through to the next to last step - when it went to check for Auto Updates - it cam back to mactopia website and stopped!! IS there a way to load in a custom manner that coudl 'bypass' that step - or do I need...

Report Writer #5
Hi there We are about to go live with new modules in GP 8.0 and we are having problems with our reports not fitting to the page. When we print to screen the report looks fine and all sections appear...but when we print to a printer the top\bottom of the report is being cut off. Any KBs or pointers out there??? Tami Hi, Is the whole section being chopped off? - as in is it just showing the line item info? Reason I ask, is because the GP Report writer is confusing to new users. It has a Page header and Report Header (esp invoices&pos). And if the report is modified and the page heade...

Server: Msg 7105
Hi. When I drop the table through query or enterprise manager in sql server 2000 it gives the following error “Server: Msg 7105, Level 22, State 3, Line 1 Page (1:1424), slot 0 for text, ntext, or image node does not exist. Connection Broken” There is no column with the data type text, ntext or image is in table and no foreign key only a composite primary key is on the table. But data in the table can be modified, deleted or modified. Dbcc checkdb also raises error “Server: Msg 8929, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 Object ID 2: Errors found in text ID 2655486279680 owned by da...

reduce printing
I am using MS Publisher 2003. I want to print our school paper which I formatted to 12" x 18" but reduced to the size of a legal size bond paper, 8.5" x 14". I am using Epson Stylus C43SX printer. What should I do? ...

the viewstate hidden field, how can I reduce it?
hi asp.net 3.5 I see in my page that the hidden field viewstate is relativly very large, and are looking for ways to reduce it. Because I think it can improve ranking. <input type="hidden" name="__VIEWSTATE" id="__VIEWSTATE" value="WJ6eLjF5Grnr80+KngeZIcTDmEbX+zjv6ptIUmMgYaqKCBB/5hAKJ748W52U1l74GfNLHDuTLuwC/O4GQE/Sp+BnQYsW+nJHK+Qkg6xfb467kHRpiCUUl/Uv2tgQssSa2K4sfbMyaL/IIlb03091A3lbQV1wLMDvL7NPqXgwJERA1+Cx2eNlzll2WkbhNQw5Ne0FmtmBXaZysPeDEeQIrl5R2IesEHnCbrG5Mz2otNviv2JKia1yXgAKw3ljDlH7wmYWOF+WXn9lhsF5YElQnMZV2hpzQjJ91O5YARub/ci77gftNaI2Z6FqHjH...

Can I rename an exchange 2003 server?
I have to replace one of my mail servers. I built a new mail server and I thought that just by renaming the old one to serverold and renaming the new server to the name that serverold had before everything would work just fine but it didn't. Is it possible to rename an exchange 2003 enteprise server and still have work? No, it is not possible to rename an Exchange server. Jeff Guillet, MCSE "Novice exchange admin" wrote: > I have to replace one of my mail servers. > I built a new mail server and I thought that just by renaming the old one to > serverold and renam...

Getting All Data In Field To Load At Once...
I have a combo box that has approx. 9,000 records that it is querying... Sometimes when I select it, they are all loaded and I can scroll up and down through them with no problem. However, most of the time when it loads, not all the names have loaded, and I have to hold my mouse button down on the page down area of the scroll bar, in order to keep it loading. Is there a command I can put on the form load that will query or load all these records before the combo box is selected!? 9,000 is a lot of rows for a combo. I would split it alphabetically. I don't have any code handy but in th...

Reduce file size.
My file was 90Kb before I formated some cells and when I saved it, the size jumped to 180kb. Double What I think happened is instead of formatting only 5 cells, by mistake I formatted 5000 cells. But they're still all empty, so does it matter Is there any way I can reduce the size back to 90Kb or so, because I copy this file on my pocket PC and can't afford to waste any memory Thanks! "Guido" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9FF56E06-1092-4124-9B7D-D3A10F448AE2@microsoft.com... > My file was 90Kb before I formated some cells and when I...

Users can't access mailboxes after move from server to server
I recently added a 2nd exchange server (Exch 2003 SP2) for the purpose of migrating everything to a new server. The install went well, no errors. I moved a few users and tested and everything was working. I am now moving a few users from another domain (on another subnet) to the new server. These new users are unable to connect to the new exchange server. They can ping the new server, but can't get to their mailbox. Moving them back to the old server allows them to access it again. I am at a loss as to why this is happening. They CAN access it via OWA on the new server. Suggestions...

how to reduce high cpu usage
When I run Outlook 2003 on my dell M1210 notebook, the CPU usage increase and slower down other services. The cpu given spike usage in every 1-2 seconds. How to resolve this and what is the cause of it? How often are you polling for new mail and do you have your antivirus set to scan incoming/outgoing mail? Do you have any add ins or COMs installed? Any synching software or fax software? -- Kathleen Orland Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ "Kairo Ismail" wrote: > When I run Outlook 2003 on my dell M1210 notebook, the CPU usage i...