How to point clients to new exchange name?

Is there a way (maybe using GPOs) to update clients' computers to point to a
different exchange server?

Here's my situation:  I added an Exchange 2003 server to my 5.5 environment.
 I'm going to take out my 5.5 server (mail.company.com) and just have my 2003
server (mail03.company.com).  How can I update the users' machines to point
to the 2003 server?  Is there a script or a GPO I can push down to update
everyone's profiles?  Or is this something that will update automatically
when I remove the 5.5 server?

Thanks!
-Nick
0
Acoustix (24)

If they're using Outlook, you don't have to do anything. So long as the old
server is online the client will find it's mailbox on the new server.
Basically what happens: Outlook looks for it's mailbox and the old server
says "it's not here, it's over there" and the client connects up to the new
server.

"Acoustix" <Acoustix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way (maybe using GPOs) to update clients' computers to point to
> different exchange server?
>
> Here's my situation:  I added an Exchange 2003 server to my 5.5
> environment.
> I'm going to take out my 5.5 server (mail.company.com) and just have my
> 2003
> server (mail03.company.com).  How can I update the users' machines to
> point
> to the 2003 server?  Is there a script or a GPO I can push down to update
> everyone's profiles?  Or is this something that will update automatically
> when I remove the 5.5 server?
>
> Thanks!
> -Nick

0
spam5298 (6)
1/28/2005 6:12:34 PM
I'm planning on removing the old server though.

-Nick

"brandon" wrote:

> If they're using Outlook, you don't have to do anything. So long as the old
> server is online the client will find it's mailbox on the new server.
> Basically what happens: Outlook looks for it's mailbox and the old server
> says "it's not here, it's over there" and the client connects up to the new
> server.
>
> "Acoustix" <Acoustix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a way (maybe using GPOs) to update clients' computers to point to
> > different exchange server?
> >
> > Here's my situation:  I added an Exchange 2003 server to my 5.5
> > environment.
> > I'm going to take out my 5.5 server (mail.company.com) and just have my
> > 2003
> > server (mail03.company.com).  How can I update the users' machines to
> > point
> > to the 2003 server?  Is there a script or a GPO I can push down to update
> > everyone's profiles?  Or is this something that will update automatically
> > when I remove the 5.5 server?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > -Nick

0
Acoustix (24)
1/28/2005 7:07:04 PM
Once they point to the new server once, the local Outlook profile is
modified to always point to the new server.  I left my 5.5 box up for
over a month and STILL ended up with a couple of manual changes, but a
couple is acceptable - compared to all...

But I don't think it's completely automatic - if I understand it
correctly (LOL!!) the "redirect flag" actually occurs as part of the
mailbox move procedure??...

HTH
JeffG

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:07:04 -0800, "Acoustix"
<Acoustix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm planning on removing the old server though.
>
>-Nick
>
>"brandon" wrote:
>
>> If they're using Outlook, you don't have to do anything. So long as the old
>> server is online the client will find it's mailbox on the new server.
>> Basically what happens: Outlook looks for it's mailbox and the old server
>> says "it's not here, it's over there" and the client connects up to the new
>> server.
>>
>> "Acoustix" <Acoustix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Is there a way (maybe using GPOs) to update clients' computers to point to
>> > different exchange server?
>> >
>> > Here's my situation:  I added an Exchange 2003 server to my 5.5
>> > environment.
>> > I'm going to take out my 5.5 server (mail.company.com) and just have my
>> > 2003
>> > server (mail03.company.com).  How can I update the users' machines to
>> > point
>> > to the 2003 server?  Is there a script or a GPO I can push down to update
>> > everyone's profiles?  Or is this something that will update automatically
>> > when I remove the 5.5 server?
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> > -Nick

0
not_here6828 (136)
1/28/2005 7:26:51 PM
Just leave it in place long enough for all your clients to login and get
redirected to the new one.  Once that happens you can remove it assuming you
have completed all of the tasks that go along with removing the first server
in a site...

"Acoustix" wrote:

> I'm planning on removing the old server though.
>
> -Nick
>
> "brandon" wrote:
>
> > If they're using Outlook, you don't have to do anything. So long as the old
> > server is online the client will find it's mailbox on the new server.
> > Basically what happens: Outlook looks for it's mailbox and the old server
> > says "it's not here, it's over there" and the client connects up to the new
> > server.
> >
> > "Acoustix" <Acoustix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Is there a way (maybe using GPOs) to update clients' computers to point to
> > > different exchange server?
> > >
> > > Here's my situation:  I added an Exchange 2003 server to my 5.5
> > > environment.
> > > I'm going to take out my 5.5 server (mail.company.com) and just have my
> > > 2003
> > > server (mail03.company.com).  How can I update the users' machines to
> > > point
> > > to the 2003 server?  Is there a script or a GPO I can push down to update
> > > everyone's profiles?  Or is this something that will update automatically
> > > when I remove the 5.5 server?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > -Nick

0
SilverICE (243)
1/28/2005 7:27:02 PM
Once you move the mailboxes to the new 2003 server leave the exchange 5.5
box online for maybe a week if possible before you switch to native mode.
This way the vast majority of users will aquire the new server settings
through the directory service when they start outlook.  Then you can finish
the upgrade by removing the 5.5 machine using the steps in the deployment
guide.

I guess this method only works if you have a small company.  It worked
almost perfect for me.  The only people i had to reconfigure were remote
users from a remote office that use OWA and rarely use outlook.

my one cent,
-dm

> I'm planning on removing the old server though.
>
> -Nick
>
> "brandon" wrote:
>
> > If they're using Outlook, you don't have to do anything. So long as the
old
> > server is online the client will find it's mailbox on the new server.
> > Basically what happens: Outlook looks for it's mailbox and the old
server
> > says "it's not here, it's over there" and the client connects up to the
new
> > server.
> >
> > "Acoustix" <Acoustix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Is there a way (maybe using GPOs) to update clients' computers to
point to
> > > different exchange server?
> > >
> > > Here's my situation:  I added an Exchange 2003 server to my 5.5
> > > environment.
> > > I'm going to take out my 5.5 server (mail.company.com) and just have
my
> > > 2003
> > > server (mail03.company.com).  How can I update the users' machines to
> > > point
> > > to the 2003 server?  Is there a script or a GPO I can push down to
update
> > > everyone's profiles?  Or is this something that will update
automatically
> > > when I remove the 5.5 server?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > -Nick

0
dmihalko (34)

Migration of Exchange 2000 Contacts
I recently installed a new Exchange 2003 server and used ex-merge to export the users mailboxes to PST's so that they could access their old mail, but have a fresh start in terms of mailbox size on the server. I then imported the users contacts and calendar to their new mailbox. The issue is that when a user has a contact that was created on the old Exchange 2000 server, Outlook tries to contact the old server and the bounces the message back as undeliverable. Is their a way to force the contacts to look at the new server or must these contact be manually recreated? Thank you! E...

Outlook 2003 name resolution
I have had a few people ask why one day all of a sudden, when they type in the first few characters, the auto name resolution just stopped responding. They type the first few letters, and usually the drop down appears with option, but now it doesnt. Any ideas? We are using OL2003 w. SP1 on WinXP boxes.... Thanks in advance.... Chris Chris <chrishoche@odysseylogistics.com> wrote: > I have had a few people ask why one day all of a sudden, when they > type in the first few characters, the auto name resolution just > stopped responding. > > They type the first few l...

How to insert a new field which is not currently in CRM's db
How to insert a new field which is not currently in CRM's db ? KC KC, The implementation guide covers this extensivlely, but you basically do this via the Deployment manger from the CRM app server. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 14:57:06 -0700, "KC" <kclai@addonsolutions.com.sg> wrote: How to insert a new field which is not currently in CRM's db ? KC ...

Exchange 2003 SP2 Public Folder Content Expiration
I have a public folder that get a lot of mail dumped into it and many messages haven't been touched in a really long time. I know it is possible to create a content expiration policy for NNTP, but I want to automatically purge mail older then some point in time from my public folder. However, I can't find any reference on how to do it. Is it possible to create an expiration policy on public folders? If so, can someone point me in the direction on how to configure this? Bring up the Properties page for the folder in Exchange System Manager and you'll find the settin...

Two points with same (X, Y) coordinates in Excel
Greetings, everyone. Is there any way to have Excel draw a circle around a point on a scatterplot? I ask because I have two points with the same X and Y values, which is causing one of the points to hide under another. Thank you for your help. Jay Format/ Data Point for one of your 2 superimposed points, & choose an appropriate symbol. -- David Biddulph "Jay" <someone@someplace.invalid> wrote in message news:%23gSxc1z8GHA.2288@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Greetings, everyone. Is there any way to have Excel draw a circle around a > point on a scatterplot? I a...

Something new?
Gentlemen, For the past few days, in two different computers running Vista SP1 with Outlook 2007 and XP-Pro SP2 with Outlook 2003, every time I send an email, I get a copy in my Inbox. There is as usual, one in my Send Items directory. Why is this happening? I have not change my options in a long time. My ISP is QWEST-MSN. No big deal except that then it must be deleted. Thanks. -- Rolando E Creagh, MD FACS Heartburn Center DM Heartburn? WHY! are you using a rule to cc yourself? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common T...

how to prevent reverse ndr in exchange 2000
I've found several articles on how to prevent this issue with ex 03, but nothing for ex 2k. My smtp queue is full of NDR's Most, if not all are for non existant users in our exchange domain. Is there a way to fix this in exchange 2k? Please help. Mn On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 14:01:19 -0800, "Mike" <spam@winpcr.com> wrote: >I've found several articles on how to prevent this issue with ex 03, but >nothing for ex 2k. > >My smtp queue is full of NDR's Most, if not all are for non existant users >in our exchange domain. Is there a way to fix this...

account pop in exchange
hello, i 'am in windows 2003 domain with exchange 2003, i create new user and i have configured outlook with an account to exchange and another with a pop account, of course in the account pop i have mentionned the mail pop and the externe smtp mail ....the problem is that i can receive email, but when i want to send i receive notification that my message is not send to the destination....thanks in advance ...

calculate a point
I'm trying to calculate some steps or stages for a graph and am having trouble, basically I'm trying to calculate a line between a point x,y to a point on a line between x1,y1 and x2,y2 that looks some like this: .x2,y2(8,6) / /-----------------------------------x,y(13,3) / .x1,y1(1,1) I think I got the slope 5/7=0.7142857, but I'm looking for the equation to calculate line between a point x,y to a point on a line between x1,y1 and x2,y. Go easy on me, I haven't been to school in 35 years. On Jul 2, 4:30=A0am, Curbie <jim.richard......

Problem Installing CRM 3.0 Laptop Client for Outlook
When installing I get the following errror: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.GrantUserPermissionsAction failed. The ASP.NET install path could not be determined from the registry. I have tried after removing all occurrences of the CRM install from other attempts. Done the install after a clean reboot. Tried running a reg cleaner until no issues. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to look into reinstall of .NET Regards, Glenn Ok. Start with the basics. The user is an adminsitrator of the machine? All the prereqs are installed? Can the database be reached via ODBC? Can the...

Saving in a new record
Hello i know it might sound a little bit too easy but i just can´t find the way of saving some information in a new record of a table. I have a form with some combo boxes and lists with filled information. When preessing a command button i want to save this information to a table1. each combo box in an specific field. I dont know if there is an specific command or how can I get these values written in a new record in my table. I would appreciate some advice. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200706/1 Provided that the for...

Default company signature & logo in Exchange 2003?
I know that you can create a signature & logo in Outlook, but can you set it up on Exchange 2003 rather than have each user create a custom signature themselves in Outlook? Andy Nothing that can setup a customized signature for each user. Disclaimers can be added from server side using transport event sink or 3rd party software. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "Andy" <everest1963@cox.net.(donotspam)> wrote in message news:D77CAC12-405D-49F3-B89C-9EB748F748C3@microsoft.com... >I know ...

Formula changing when I move the data to new column
Simplified version of my file is: Col a b c d e Portfolio 7/29/2005 / For the Week / YTD / 7/22/2005 abc corp 10,000 +500 8% 9500 def corp 10,000 - 200 4% 10200 mmm 10,000 +100 0% 9900 ppp corp 10,000 +322 -1.2% 9678 xyz corp 10,000 +12 1% 9988 Total 50,000 834 x% 49,266 I...

How do I transfer Outlook contents to new computer?
Hi, I have a new computer and need to transfer my outlook over from my laptop. Am using 2003, which is installed on my new computer also. I've been searching these q&a's, and see that I will need to "copy to a pst file"? What is this, where do I find it, and how to I execute it??? And if any of you clever people choose to help me, you will have to talk r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w-l-y, as I'm very sorry, but I don't speak your language. -- Regards, Sarah See if this helps http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm "Sarah" <sarah@discus...

Pop E-mail and Exchange 5.5
We have an e-mail problem. We use Qwest as our ISP for outgoing e-mail, and another ISP for incoming e-mail. Qwest recently made a change, and we are no longer able to send e-mail out. It has something to do with the fact that we are not using Qwest for incoming and outgoing e-mail. We are using Outlook 2000, and Exchange Server 5.5. We are getting the message 'no transport provider available to deliver the message to the recipient'. Does anyone know what to do to resolve this issue? Is there something that needs to be changed in the Exchange Server? I am not very profic...

Quickest way to add one more name to a rule?
In OL2003, I have created a rule that if a piece of email arrives from anyone on a certain list of people it automatically gets delivered to a special folder "Work email". Every once in a while, I get an email from someone who ought to be on that lsit, but isn't. So I go into Tools/Rules, find the rule, and manually ad their name to the ever-growing list. IS there an easier way to do this? Is there some way I can just drag their name to the list somewhere? (The closest I've been able to come to a shortcut is when the email is opened, go to Actions/Create Rule, and ...

Hyperlink opens word template for editting, not as new document
I have created hyperlinks to Word documents and templates in Excel. Clicking the hyperlinks causes the templates to open in Word for editting. I need to have the templates open new documents based on the templates. How can I do this? hi, Neil ! > I have created hyperlinks to Word documents and templates in Excel. > Clicking the hyperlinks causes the templates to open in Word for editting. > I need to have the templates open new documents based on the templates. > How can I do this? create shortcuts (.lnk) to the template document and hyperlink to that shortcut s...

Exchange 2007 in AD+Child Domain
Hi, one doubt: - I want to configure Exchange 2007 in my environment with root AD(test.com) and its child domain (my.test.com). I intend that the child domain users have mailboxes so must I run domainprep in their DC (my.test.com) and create mailboxes in the root AD, is that right? Thanks. Luiz You must prep the child domain, but mailboxes are associated with the user account, so they are "created" against the mailboxes in the child domain. They may reside on the Exchange server in the root domain, though. This has not changed since E2K/E2K3. -- Jim McBee Blog - http:...

power point
I have Vista and can't find power point!! I can find the viewer but how do I open the power point application program? This newsgroup is for Office for Mac only; you might be better off asking your question in a Vista-specific newsgroup. Having said that, I doubt that the answer you are going to be given in there will be any different from mine: Vista and PowerPoint are two entirely unrelated products. PowerPoint is part of Microsoft Office, which is a separate application suite that does not come automatically with the operating system. In other words, if you only own a copy of Vista b...

mailbox store not pointing to the right place
We recently migrated from an old, slow Windows 2003 SBS server to a newer, faster one. The migration went well except for one email box and the templates. All of the Exchange Mailboxes are pointing to the new server mailbox store except one. In the Exchange General tab of AD Users and Computers of this particular user, the mailbox store is still pointing to the old server. How do I change this to the correct server? I also noticed the templates were pointing new accounts to the old server. Where do I go to change this as well? Thanks for any help. How did you migrate from old ha...

point me...
in the right direction please. Could someone give me a good link for explanation of the following, or best yet provide one? (Using VC++ 6.0 SP6) 1. I need a better idea of what pointers are used for and when. It's been said here that "99%" of the time, they're not needed. Yet MFC is full of them, and I've used them successfully (in MFC). eg, CDocument* pDoc = GetDocument(), CWnd* pWnd = GetParent(), etc. But when I refer to any text on C++, I encounter concepts involving pointers that I just don't get. Of what use is the 'new' operator, for exampl...

exchange administrator can't find exchange server
I recently had a systems crash and now the exchange administrator can't find the exchange server. The OS is NT4 with various service packs installed. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Though there is not much detail in your description... How are your WINS servers? How are your DNS servers? Are the records for the Exchange boxes in WINS and DNS? Bob "Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:895a01c4855e$c4247480$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I recently had a systems crash and now the exchange > administrator can't find the exchange...

Work offline with an Exchange account
Hey, How do I work offline in Outlook with an Exchange account. I do not have the work offline option on the file menu and the connection information doesn't appear in the status bar. It is Outlook 2003. Any Ideas? Paul Paul Hewetson wrote: > Hey, > > How do I work offline in Outlook with an Exchange account. I do not > have the work offline option on the file menu and the connection > information doesn't appear in the status bar. It is Outlook 2003. > > Any Ideas? > > Paul Enable cached mode in the properties of the Exchange server service in your ...

decimal point
My question is how can i show integer value and value after decimal value into two different cell Exm. Like Number is 25.588 Show Like into Cell A1=25 Cell B1.588 Hi Arjun! =INT(A1) Returns the integer portion of the number in A1 =MOD(A1,1) Returns the decimal portion of the number in A1 -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. Use the TRUNC worksheet function to return the integer part of the number. Example Cell A1 conta...

Cannot change payment date on new credit card accounts
Hello all: I recently aquired 2 new credit cards and added them to my account before I received my first statement so I left the payment due date blank. Now that I have received my first statements from both accounts, I am not able to change the due date under account setup. Do I have to delete both of these accounts and re-create them now that I know the due date? That sounds flaky to me.. Thanks I'm not sure where it is you are talking about this date but it almost certainly is NOT account details. Try going into Bills & Deposits and editing the payment series. "DJ_Chir...