How to hide GAL and replace with custom lists ...

Hi all.

We do not want all users on the Exchnage 2003 system to be able to see all
other Exchnage users on the system.

I want to:
- Disable or hide the GAL
- Add new Global Address Lists filtered on a parameter (already done this
and it works fine)
- Have certain groups use ONLY the list associated to their group!

I have been racking my brain for days, but I am no closer.

Any help out there?
Thanks.

0
me1376 (30)

Can I do this using Policies?  I have structured the AD so that each Group I
want segemented from the other groups is in it's own tree in the AD.  Is it
possible to set a policy on that tree in regards to what address list they
are allowed to use?

Thanks.

"Me" <me@you.com> wrote in message
> Hi all.
>
> We do not want all users on the Exchnage 2003 system to be able to see all
> other Exchnage users on the system.
>
> I want to:
> - Disable or hide the GAL
> - Add new Global Address Lists filtered on a parameter (already done this
> and it works fine)
> - Have certain groups use ONLY the list associated to their group!
>
> I have been racking my brain for days, but I am no closer.
>
> Any help out there?
> Thanks.

0
me1376 (30)
2/15/2007 8:06:49 PM
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 19:38:57 GMT, "Me" <me@you.com> wrote:

>Hi all.
>
>We do not want all users on the Exchnage 2003 system to be able to see all
>other Exchnage users on the system.
>
>I want to:
>- Disable or hide the GAL
>- Add new Global Address Lists filtered on a parameter (already done this
>and it works fine)
>- Have certain groups use ONLY the list associated to their group!
>
>I have been racking my brain for days, but I am no closer.
>
>Any help out there?
>Thanks.

Why do you want to do this? Every time this crops up we post links to
a couple of tutorials on hosting from www.msexchange.org
Then we point out that the users will simply put the users SMTP
addresses into their Outlook and carry on sending mail to them.

To prevent this you will have to put restrictions in (easy enough done
in ADU&C but a right royal pain to manage) so that user A cannot
actually send to user B.

All this means that User A will send to his manager and the manager
will either send to User B direct or send the mail to the manager of
User B will forward it to User A.

"We", by whom I take to be your management, will need to think of all
the ramifications.

In any case msexchange.org and "shared hosting" are your search words.

0
mark7219 (5666)
2/15/2007 8:29:46 PM
Thanks for the info.  To answer your question:  We have multiple groups in
the Exchange environment and we do not want one groups users being able to
scroll around another groups GAL (everyone is OWA and offsite).  If people
actually know each other and want to give one another their email address,
fine.  I just don't want someone opening the GAL and scrolling through for
names.

Thanks.
> On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 19:38:57 GMT, "Me" <me@you.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi all.
>>
>>We do not want all users on the Exchnage 2003 system to be able to see all
>>other Exchnage users on the system.
>>
>>I want to:
>>- Disable or hide the GAL
>>- Add new Global Address Lists filtered on a parameter (already done this
>>and it works fine)
>>- Have certain groups use ONLY the list associated to their group!
>>
>>I have been racking my brain for days, but I am no closer.
>>
>>Any help out there?
>>Thanks.
>>

> Why do you want to do this? Every time this crops up we post links to
> a couple of tutorials on hosting from www.msexchange.org
> Then we point out that the users will simply put the users SMTP
> addresses into their Outlook and carry on sending mail to them.
>
> To prevent this you will have to put restrictions in (easy enough done
> in ADU&C but a right royal pain to manage) so that user A cannot
> actually send to user B.
>
> All this means that User A will send to his manager and the manager
> will either send to User B direct or send the mail to the manager of
> User B will forward it to User A.
>
> "We", by whom I take to be your management, will need to think of all
> the ramifications.
>
> In any case msexchange.org and "shared hosting" are your search words.

0
me1376 (30)
2/15/2007 8:48:49 PM
Hi,

Myself and Mark answered this one a couple of days ago.

You should be able to search for it via Google Groups using either of our
Names.

Oliver

0
o.moazzeziNO (822)
2/15/2007 10:15:38 PM
Thanks Oliver.  I should learn to give more details.  After going through
the Hosting Articles, I figured out that since all my clients are using OWA,
I only needed to set the msExchQueryBaseDN on each account.  I did this
using the script below.  I am sure there are more elagant ways to do it, but
it is not an everyday occurance either.

Thanks,
TheBurgerMan

@echo off

set OutputFile=Modify.ldf
del %OutputFile% /q

if "%*" == "" (
 echo.
 echo You must provide a starting BaseDN!
 pause
 exit
 )

For /F "tokens=*" %%i in ('dsquery user "%*"') do (
 echo dn: %%~i>> %OutputFile%
 echo changetype: modify>>  %OutputFile%
 echo replace: msExchQueryBaseDN>> %OutputFile%
 echo msExchQueryBaseDN: %*>> %OutputFile%
 echo ->> %OutputFile%
 echo.>> %OutputFile%
 )

notepad %OutputFile%

echo.
echo If you are satisfied with the file, run this command:
echo.
echo ldifde -i -f %OutputFile%

"Oliver Moazzezi" <o.moazzeziNO@SPAMfreenet.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Myself and Mark answered this one a couple of days ago.
>
> You should be able to search for it via Google Groups using either of our
> Names.
>
> Oliver

0
me1376 (30)

A replacement for about-to-be-closed NGs
Greets, To those of us who, for whatever reason, are still using "unsupported" technologies, these news groups are a valuable resource. The quasi-related forums to which Microsoft has invited us are hardly replacements, posts about 'classic' technologies will be OT, and I'm sure pretty much everyone who posts questions about them would rather see responses more meaningful than, "consider upgrading to [something that is still supported]." In hopes of filling the void that will be left by these pending closures, I've added a section to a forum I...

Replace cell letter
Not sure how to explain this, but im looking to save a lot of manual entry. ie. sheet1 is fetching its data from sheet2 A1:A1000 and displays the data all over sheet1 to many different cell positions in different columns/rows. How do I point to new data from sheet2 B1:B1000 by replacing all the cells "=+Sheet2!A####" to "=+Sheet2!B####" in sheet1 while keeping the same cell positions??? Hope it makes sense...please HELP! John Try Ctrl+H to launch Find and Replace dialog..Make sure you select 'Formulas' in 'LookIn' -- Jacob &qu...

Hiding "0" values in pivot table

Using custom fields for better email list view.
Hello. I get lots of letters with the same title. I want to group them by topic and sort on the number of letters in the group. I know that I can do this using custom fields but I do not know what query to use to get the number of letters the group. ...

Hiding formuals in cells question

Exch2003 and custom Outlook forms
I have a user who created several forms in their Outlook (Office 2003). Now, they want to share these forms. I need to move the forms into Exchange 2003, running on SBS 2003. Manually copying the forms to a public folder appears to only transfer data, so my question is this: What is the best method for publishing a form from Outlook 2003 into Exchange 2003 Public web folders? Thanks in advance, J Wolfgang Goerlich http://www.outlookcode.com/d/formpub.htm -- Sincerely, D�j� Ak�m�l�f�, MCSE MCSA MCP+I www.akomolafe.com www.iyaburo.com Do you now realize that Today is the Tomorrow you were...

hide my name

How do I hide gaps in an Excel 2007 chart?

GAL issue
Our existing Exchange 5.5 organization consists of two different sites, each in its own NT 4.0 domain, so call that siteA and siteB in domainA and domainB for simplicity. They share a common GAL between them as you would expect and all is well. I've just installed the first Exchange 2003 server in a Windows Server 2003 AD domain (call this domainC) and placed the Exchange server into siteA. Trusts are in place between domainA and domainB (previously), between domainA and domainC (for the migration), but not yet between domainB and domainC. The problem that I see now is that GAL for use...

Hiding and Un-Hiding Data fields

Making a compiled list in Excel
Hi all, I'm trying to create an Excel spreadsheet that can create a compile list from an existing list. By this I mean there is a list of item which represents the complete list and each entry has a checkbox nex to it to indicate whether it has been selected or not, and then on th same worksheet there is another list which only contains the items tha have been selected from the first, full list. Check out these screensheets to get a better idea of what I mean: http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~proebuck/excel1/JPG http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~proebuck/excel2.JPG I think this should b...

REPOST: Contacts/Global Address List/Automated Dialling
We can currently initiate telephone calls from within our contacts folders, plus some public (contact) folders, by right-clicking and selecting Call Contact. This feature could use our mobile phones (via Bluetooth) but more usually it uses our BCM office phone system. This all works fine. However, under this system we are maintaining a lot of duplicate data: 1 x Active Directory, 1 x Exchange 5.5 directory, and several public contact folders. We are moving to Exchange 2003 soon which will mean that Exchange will directly tap into AD, rather than maintain it's own directory. We would als...

Cannot add columns to custom views
I have a problem that is causing a major handicap. I cannot add any columns to any custom leads view that I create. No matter what, the only column that is displayed is the default key column (name) that is there when the view is created. When I click on add columns, the dialog box that is supposed to list columns that I can add to the view has no columns listed at all. I am logged in as the System Administrator when trying to accomplish this. Also, when I create a filter criteria it is never saved. I save it, but when I go back into it, it is gone. Any help would be GREATLY apprec...

Hiding a worksheet #3

Hide images when Hiding Rows

Customizing the New Mail Form
Hello - I have a few quick questions about customizing the new mail form. I have put some user defined fields on the New Mail form which I'm integrating with my application. I'm wondering if there is a standard method of inserting a header in the body of all Emails (such as one's letterhead) and how this is done. Thanks, Mike How long does it usually take for my post to get to google? It seems as if I'm seeing my question below in my Outlook Express (which I just started learning how to use) but it is not yet on google and it has been a few hours. Still wondering...

NEWBIE
I have an XML file: <configuration> <Section Name="Settings"> <Key Name="Setting1" Value="101"></Key> <Key Name="Setting2" Value="202"></Key> <Key Name="Setting3" Value="300"></Key> <Key Name="Setting4" Value="404"></Key> </Section> </configuration> I want to change the value of "setting3" from "300" to "303." Can somebody provide me with code that will allow me ...

how to hide an ActiveX control?

control box list
Hi I have a long list of hospitals, and would like to put a control in that will fill in as you type to search. I have tried list box, but can not see how to enter the list into the find data. thanks tim ...

Hiding plot Area

Replace the minus value
Hi freindz, I am working in one sheet. There are some negative (minus) value in some cell. I want to replace it with zero with the use of formula. Kindly suggest me, how can it possible. Regards, Rajiv To use a formula: =if(a1<0,0,a1) Regards, Fred "Rajiv" <Rajiv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9AC01190-886D-4394-B6E0-CA5DB1A49395@microsoft.com... > Hi freindz, > > I am working in one sheet. There are some negative (minus) value in some > cell. I want to replace it with zero with the use of formula. > > Kind...

Click on list Item and open a Detail form
Hi Everebody, I need help withe the following: I have a form that has a listbox that gets its data through a query, the list box only show two colums: Company and ProcessDate, also the query retrieves more fields but I set the width of the columns to zero. I also have a command button "CmdViewDetail" that on_click should open a new form that will contain the rest of the information for the record I selected on the list box. How should I do this? I'm not very experienced with vba, could somebody help me? hi Sara, Sara wrote: > I also have a command button "CmdV...

Hiding rows with VBA
Hi all, In my sheet called "insertsheet I have this VBA: (thanks to some users of Google groups) Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Const nMAX As Long = 10 Dim nRows As Long Application.ScreenUpdating = False With Me With .Range("B8") If Intersect(Target(1), .Cells) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub nRows = .Value End With .Range(.Cells(1, 5), .Cells(1, _ .Columns.Count)).EntireColumn.Hidden = True .Range(Cells(1, 5), .Cells(1, _ ...

hiding rows
I have data in cells A7:DK394 which all have 0 in them until totals are added in other worksheets which then pullthrough. At the end of the week I have to Hide all rows from A7 to A394 that still have 0 in them as no totals have been added in other sheets so the customer has not posted with us. is there any way excell can recognise the cells that have no data against them and hide them automatically by pressing a button. or if they all start off hidden unhide as data is entered. Hopefully this makes sense many thanks for any help with this as again its to save me lots of...

How do I hide email addresses in outgoing mail
Hint: You post your question in the body of the post, not the Subject. Hint 2: Use the BCC field. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Dennis" <Dennis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2C2A70C-6C94-4688-8BAF-0A50AC9C142D@microsoft.com... > "Dennis" <Dennis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2C2A70C-6C94-4688-8BAF-0A50AC9C142D@microsoft.com... > PLEASE write your question in the body of the post and NOT just the subject Have a look here: http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm As posted here MANY MANY times - put them in the BCC...