How to control user configuration of Outlook?

I am using Exchange 2003 with the users operating on Office 2000 Premium.  I
have several settings that I want enforced in Outlook such as disabling the
preview pane, not allowing changes to the background of email, and not
allowing text and font changes.  Is there a way to enforce this in a group
policy type situation?  I have looked in the System Manager in Exchange but
cannont find anything allowing me to setup what a user can, and cannot change
in Outlook.  Help!
0
David4882 (672)

Exchange Server has no way to control Outlook settings.  However, different
versions of Office have ADM templates (admin templates) for use with Active
Directory 2000/2003 group policies.  Look for the Office Resource Kit for
Office 2000, these are on Microsoft's web site, but it will take some
digging to find them.  Install them and look for a series of files with an
extension of ADM.  If you create a group policy, you can add these to the
Administrative Templates section.  Office XP and Office 2003 have some
pretty comprehensive GPO settings, I'm not sure if you can disable the
template on the earlier versions of the GPO ADM templates or not.   Here are
a couple of links that might help you:
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1529690.php
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011403051033.aspx
http://www.petri.co.il/understanding_administrative_templates_in_gpo.htm
http://www.gpoanswers.com

--
Jim McBee
Blog:     http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com

>I am using Exchange 2003 with the users operating on Office 2000 Premium.
> have several settings that I want enforced in Outlook such as disabling
> the
> preview pane, not allowing changes to the background of email, and not
> allowing text and font changes.  Is there a way to enforce this in a group
> policy type situation?  I have looked in the System Manager in Exchange
> but
> cannont find anything allowing me to setup what a user can, and cannot
> change
> in Outlook.  Help!

0
jmcbee9404 (625)
6/17/2005 6:21:12 PM
You can turn off the preview pane with a registry setting (KB832561).  Other
than that, you should check out Active Directory group policies.  You'll need
to add the Outlook.adm template to get the policies for Outlook, however.
You can find the .amd templates in the Microsoft Office resource kit...

"David" wrote:

> I am using Exchange 2003 with the users operating on Office 2000 Premium.  I
> have several settings that I want enforced in Outlook such as disabling the
> preview pane, not allowing changes to the background of email, and not
> allowing text and font changes.  Is there a way to enforce this in a group
> policy type situation?  I have looked in the System Manager in Exchange but
> cannont find anything allowing me to setup what a user can, and cannot change
> in Outlook.  Help!
0
SilverICE (243)

Which version of S/MIME does Outlook XP use?
Hi Does anybody know what version of S/MIME Outlook XP uses? I think it is v. 3, and that Outlook 2000 uses v.2. Can anybody confirm this? I am writing a delphi application that sends signed, encrypted messages through Outlook. My client's email client cannot decrypt messages that come from Outlook XP. However, it can decrypt messages sent through Outlook 2000. He says that it fails because the content-type on the messages sent through Outlook XP is 'application/pkcs7-mime' instead of 'application/x-pkcs7-mime'. Is this because Outlook XP uses S/MIME version 3, instead of...

Lock Position Of User Form In VBA
Can Someone Help? Ron De Bruin and Jorge Rodrigues gave sone ideas on how to disable th "X" close button on a user form. However I now need to ensure that the User Form cant be moved down b holding on the program bar and sliding down, as this would revea critical data shown below. Is there a way to lock the position of the User Form? Thanks Celtic_Avenge -- Celtic_Avenge ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Celtic_Avenger's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1410 View this thread: http://www.excelforu...

bound control or inbound control
Hi Katherine, There are differences between using bound versus unbound controls. Where on the form do you want to use an unbound control? Jeanette Cunningham "Katherine" <Katherine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:23BBC192-0A74-4B9F-9513-5E5923A76658@microsoft.com... > ...

Re: recommend outlook express spam blcker please
I'll recommend Letterman Spam Control download at: http://www.whatlink.com/ C.J. Martin "Smith" <w596@mailme.com> wrote in message news:<27609.18512091@bs01>... > Hello all! > I am trying searching for outlook spam filter softwares. > Any good advice? > > Thanks, > VeS. ...

why won't word 2007 release control of a .rtf file after exiting w
I AM HAVING TROUBLE WITH ACCESS TO RICH TEXT FILES BY PROGRAMS OTHER THAN WORD------ AFTER THE FILE OPEN IN WORD IS CLOSED AND EVEN AFTER WORD HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN (EXITED) ---------- I GET THE ERROR MESSAGE THAT THE FILE IS "IN USE" BY WORD WHEN (FOR EXAMPLE) AN ATTEMPT IS MADE TO DELETE IT ---- SOMETIMES WHEN RE-OPENING THE FILE AFTER RE-STARTING WORD THE FILE CANNOT BE SAVED BECAUSE IT IS IN "READ ONLY" MODE ------- AFTER MUCH FIDDLING AROUND I FINALLY MANAGED TO DELETE THE PROBLEM FILE ONLY TO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM RETURN WITH A DIFFERNT FILE ----- WORD 200...

outlook or ISP?
Our bulk mails keep bouncing with this: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: Spring Teams Sent: 19/09/2005 5:09 PM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: Bill Powell on 19/09/2005 5:10 PM 452 Too many recipients Looks like the ISP (Bigpond in Australia) but note we did not have this problem before switching from OE to Outlook. Derrick ISP. Bigpond place quite a few restrictions on email. -- Bill Rodgers MVP "Trumps - Derrick Browne" <trumps@trumps.net.au> wrote in message news:E6OXe.416$0E5.210@news-server.bigpond.net...

Outlook 2007 (not responding)
When I first open Outlook 2007 it works fine but as it gets used it continues to slow down and I get (not responding) whenever I try to do anything. If I close it down and restart it, then it works fine again for a while. Can anyone point me in the right direction to solve this problem? Does this happen even if you start Outlook in Safe Mode? (hold down CTRL while you click the icon) See if this helps: http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook/tsol.html#safe -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/ou...

how import my addrerss book from my msn acount,to my outlook
thank you What format does the MSN account support for export? If one of the supported file types in Outlook, then use that one. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After a lot of head-scratching, Osvaldo asked: | thank you ...

RE: Control
Can some one point me right direction to achive this following. Need to dispaly a data in a table format. some of the column data may have to display a image/icon based on a value from the table (1 :- Red color icon, 2:-yellow color icon...) Once the data is loaded and displayed on the format , able to search particular row by column index and update the values including the images(change different image). I tried with Listview control, with the report view I am not able to search row and update the columns with the List vew I am not able to show the image/icon. do not want to use ...

MSCRM login and the Users Control Panel
Is anyone aware of any way that the settings stored under Control Panel - Users - Password Management might interfere with the process of Single Sign On into MSCRM? It seemed to have somehow cached someones login and prevented logging in as the logged in user, until cached credentials had been "deleted". However I have never seen this mentioned as being relevant. I am not too sure what the architecture model is there, but it appears to be a single domain. If this area has any relevance, it would be useful to know....thanks ...

outlook email attachments
word cannot open the document: user does not have access privileges The above error message is occuring on a users computer when he attempts to open a word or excel attachment directly from an outlook email message. This is occuring on only some Word and Excel attachments, not all. Other Word and Excel document attachments open directly from the Outlook emal message without any problem. When the user saves the attachment to his desktop, the documents open properly. Others in my office are able to open these attachments from outlook without any problems. snelson@marakon.com <snelson@marako...

Adding a control variable
Hello all, Under VC++ 7.1, I've added a checkbox to a dialog. Using the dialog editor, I am not trying to add a control variable for this check box. However, when I right-click on the check box and select "Add Variable", the resulting wizard dialog does not allow me to select "Control Variable" (it is grayed out). What do I need to do to get a control variable for this check box added to my class? Thanks, Dave I've never seen that before - are you able to duplicate this problem with other projects too? -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] "Dave" <bett...

SOP user defined fields
Does anyone know how to delete user defined list values in tools/setup/sales/sales order processing? We can change or add values but when we try to remove a value are getting a "not all required fields have been entered" error. The users currently have it carped up with lots of stuff. Is it prudent to just go directly into the table ( sop40400 ) and delete the goofy records? Thanks found the answer in Customer Source in TechKnowledge 855979 seems a weird way to maintain a table but it's a definitive answer "Brad" wrote: > Does anyone know how to delete use...

Complex Outlook rules
I'd like to put files that have (xxx) anywhere in the subject into the folder named "xxx", regardless if they were received or sent by me. xxx could be any 3 digit number, e.g. 237 or 450 or 007. Without having to write 999 separate rules, is there perhaps a way to do this programatically. Or is there perhaps a way programatically to write the 999 rules? Thanks, JimPS I have OL2003 You could, in theory, do it as one rule with a "run a script" rule = action. Such actions use not an external script but a VBA procedure with = a MailItem or MeetingItem as its parameter...

Spam control - MS Outlook
Hi! I am using MS Outlook 2000 and use 2 profiles. I recently installed a firewall package (Fsecure = Telia S�ker Surf), including Spam control. After install, MSO hangs and I cannot change to the other profile (if I not removed MSO by ctrl/alt/del) Somebody want to comment this? /Sven-Erik Intergrated AV/Spam is the cause of frequent issues in Outlook Is the FSecure you installed compatible with this old version of Outlook? "Storfille" <storfille@ebrev.net> wrote in message news:b1Ixm.11987$U5.164765@newsb.telia.net... > Hi! > > I am using MS Outlook 200...

Outlook freezes when switching keyboard layouts
I use on Office 2007 on an XP machine at work. I frequently need to write in French, so I added the French keyboard layout. However, when I try to switch between the US English keyboard and the French standard keyboard, Outlook 'freezes up'. The only solution is to shut it down using Task Manager and I lose whatever e-mail I was working on. I can switch back and forth between languages in any other program with no problems at all. Any solutions? ...

question in crm users
hi, we are a service-oriented org and we have delivery boys who needs to be managed in a system. we are looking into CRM and I would like to ask if they require licenses in order to be users and manage as resource group in MSCRM. Hi Benjamin, users with restricted mode access cannot logon into CRM and do not consume CRM license however they are available in resource scheduling. We use this "trick" (which is by design, I believe) quite often to schedule human resources who do not need to be users of CRM. I think this is exactly what you're after. Hope it helps -- Geor...

Outlook quoting
Please make Outlook's quoting attributable to the author of the quote so that it's easier to identify multiple authors in a thread. Thanks. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=eae503d...

Releasing memory after creating OCX control
Hi, I try to create an instance of an activex control in my MFC dialog based app. Though my application works with out any error, if i check the memory after calling "delete pMyControl" it keeps on occupying the same memory it occupied when the control was alive. Could anyone help me where I am missing to clear the memory? Thank you. My Code here ---------------m_pxWmp= new CWMPPlayer4();if( m_pxWmp->Create("replay", WS_CHILD | WS_BORDER | WS_VISIBLE , CRect(100, 100,320,240), this, 2)){ m_replay = true; m_pxWmp->SetUrl("C:\\video.avi"); m_pxWmp->Set...

what control can display characters from txt files in a dialog?
I want to read lines from txt files and display them on a dialog.I wonder which control can be put into the dialog to hold the characters from txt? Something like :- while(m_file.ReadString(tmpstr)) { str += tmpstr; } m_edit.SetWindowText(str); -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] "liao_xf" <sclxf@sina.com> wrote in message news:001401c3652f$177b9830$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Thanks first! > I know that Edit control can receive and edit input. > and I know the filestdio can read lines from txt. > but can you tell me how to attatch the lines to the edit? > Thanks!...

stock control system
trying to see up a 'basic stock control sytem' for a warehouse that contains building materials. -- Thank you. You can use multiple ways of doing, there's 3 ways to come to m head... 1) Use a worksheet as database an save all the information on the cell of that worksheet using some macros to access it and handle. 2) You might want to use Access instead of Excel, I think would b easier to handle the database portion and you still have the Macro available. 3) You can use VB with an Access to create an application -- fanay ------------------------------------------------------...

problems reading email
I have a yahoo email account sychronized to Outlook. =20 Several bizarre things are happening: Occasional emails from Lotus Notes users appear as=20 garbled text (like this for example: = azj'{+hj&#1874;'$Vz)&#52585;ej&#1576;j. &#1832;^j&#485;z&#1630; ). The emails when read using the web interface = (yahoo, internet explorer) are fine. Emails sent to one site (again Lotus Notes) in particular=20 are switching the Sender and Receiver - they come back to=20 me as if from the other person, but it is just my=20 original message. This happens only sporadically ...

adding new identity to outlook
I have successfully added an account to outlook, but an now attempting to add my husband as a new identity. I thought that I did this correct but when I sent a test email, it came to my mailbox. I believe that the problem lies with the incoming POP3 server info. and the out going SMTP server info. For my account I typed in the incoming server pop.cox.west.net and the outgoing as SMTP.cox.west.net. Because this is the second identity, do I need to add a "1" to this info.? I am so frustrated, can anyone help with this? I have exhausted the Help Menu! Thank you! what v...

Office 2007 forms

Creating dialog controls at run-time
I've been researching how to do this, but whenever I try what other people do, I get very bad results. But my challenge doesn't end there. The number of controls I want to create is only known at run-time. The problems I face are manifold: 1. The code most people use fails badly. Not only is the font unconventionally big, but when I click the checkbox I create, the whole dialog disappears. If that's not enough, the pointer to the control is NULL when the dialog's destructor is called, so I can't delete the instance, and get a memory leak message when the program ends: CADi...