How to connect another DC after primary DC down?

I have three server, first DC for file sharing second DC for print server and
last server (not DC) for Exchange server 2003. How can exchange run after
first DC down?
0
Mesak (9)

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 06:25:02 -0700, "Mesak"
<Mesak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have three server, first DC for file sharing second DC for print server and
>last server (not DC) for Exchange server 2003. How can exchange run after
>first DC down?

Sounds like you didn't make the 2nd server a GC. Would that be right?
You can make a DC a GC by ticking the box iN ADS&S, NTDS Settings, and
then reboot it.
Exchange should then pick it up.

You'll have to tackle the probability that the 1st DC holds all the
FSMO roles. What's happening with the 1st box? Is it dead or can you
do a System State restore onto same or new hardware?
0
mark7219 (5666)
7/2/2005 5:01:17 PM
On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 18:01:17 +0100, "Mark Arnold [MVP]"
<mark@mvps.org> wrote:

>On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 06:25:02 -0700, "Mesak"
><Mesak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>I have three server, first DC for file sharing second DC for print server and
>>last server (not DC) for Exchange server 2003. How can exchange run after
>>first DC down?
>
>Sounds like you didn't make the 2nd server a GC. Would that be right?
>You can make a DC a GC by ticking the box iN ADS&S, NTDS Settings, and
>then reboot it.
>Exchange should then pick it up.

Doesn't work for me, not if the FSMO role holder is down, even if the
second DC is a GC. That is with Windows/Exchange 2000, but I have seen
the same complaint with 2003. Exchange will continue to run if it is
up, but will not start up with the FSMO holder down - that's my
experience.

Peter

>You'll have to tackle the probability that the 1st DC holds all the
>FSMO roles. What's happening with the 1st box? Is it dead or can you
>do a System State restore onto same or new hardware?

0
Peter

Use Excel to make an update query to another database table?
I have a spreadsheet in Excel with information on it that I'd like to update to a database table (outside of Excel). I have been using Excel to pull database information in, and now I'd like to use it to write data to the same table. To this point I've just been copying the data into an Access table and creating an update query. Anyway to get Excel to do this?? Many thanks in advance. ...

Adding another GAL
Hello, my name is Brian Swanson. My company just recently purchased another corporation and they would like to add all the email addresses from there Exchange Server into our Exchange Server. We are not on the same netowk yet nor are we a trusted entitiy with them yet. This will be done in the future but until then we like to add each other's GAL to the appropiate Exchange Server. We are currently running 5.5 and will be upgrading after the merger is done. We will be 2003 then with AD. Big jump I know. http://www.cps-systems.com/ "Brian Swanson" <swansonbd@uticorporation.c...

How do I create a combo box that is tied to another combo box?
I am trying to create a combo box that is associated with yet another combo box. So, for example, I have a combo list currently, but I'd like another list (a sub-list) to pop up with each input in the combo list. Is this possible? Could you live with Data Validation dropdown lists instead of combocbox? See Debra Dalgleish's site for how-to and a sample workbook. http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlDataVal02.html Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 10:26:03 -0800, rosamaria <rosamaria @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am trying to create a com...

Clients not use DC/GC in same site
We've got 7 Sites worldwide in our AD. Each Site has it's own DC, DNS and GC. Outlook2003 clients all connect to the central Exchange2003 server at the main site for their mailboxes. But the clients somehow refuse too use the DC/GC in their local sites. When I CTRL-Click the Outlook connection status icon in the system tray, they all show that they're connecting with a DC/GC at the central site. Until now, Outlook seems to work ok though. But I can expect to get problems in the future with this. How can I force the clients to use their local DC/GC ? Richard rwillkomm@ortec.nl ...

Send from another app
With Outlook closed and I try to send something from another app, such as send webpage from IE, the mail stays in the outbox until Outlook is opened. Is there a way to process the outgoing mail even though outlook (2003) is not open? Thx ...

Please help, cannot connect Outlook to internet
I would appreciate advice. I am very new to computers and can't figure this out! I recently received a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop. Since I only have a dial-up connection and I want to use this in a room where there is no telephone jack, I needed a long phone cord to connect the laptop to the phone jack. I attached the 50' cord to the laptop last week and all went fine connecting to the Internet. However, I cannot seem to make the connection again. I enter the password and it dials (pulse!), and the box says "connected to remote computer", then "verifying n...

Copy from one workbook to another failing
I have copied this code pretty much entirely from another post but it throws up Run time error 9 subscript out of range'. Can anyone help? Thanks Public Sub ImportData() Dim myFilename As Variant Dim importbook As Workbook Dim mainbook As Workbook MsgBox "Please select the Do Not Trace workbook you wish to import." myFilename = Application.GetOpenFilename("Excel Files (*.xls), *.xls") 'launches prompt to select import file Set mainbook = ActiveWorkbook Set importbook = Workbooks.Open(Filename:=myFilename) 'sets variable to be workbook...

Another oddball WLM error message
When I left WLM running while I went to breakfast this morning, I got another oddball error message. Just the frame for showing the error message, with all the space inside the frame still transparent. Robert Miles ...

Copy macro enabled button to another file
Greetings, I set up a macro-enabled button on one file(say A file). I would like to copy the button to another file(say B file). I find that I can copy the VBA module from VBA editor. However, when the button was copied to the B file, the macro on the button has the name of "A.xls!macro_name". Then I have to delete "A.xls!" for the macro. Can I just copy the macro name only, but not the previos file name that the macro came from? I would like to use that button to more than 200 files... It would be a lot of work to change the macro name... Thanks ...

Using MDE file to connect to SQLServer via ODBC
Anyone have experience connecting an MDE file to an instance of SQLServer via ODBC? (Which should be yes). The scenario that I'm in is that I was going to use a ADP file, but then got word that MS has officially backpeddled indicating that ODBC is the best means of connecting to SQLServer. If the server was going to be in the same city, I wouldn't sweat it, however we're looking at having the server housed in Atlanta in support of several other offices that will be using the app. What issues should I be aware of? What about general performance? David C. Holley...

Entourage 2008 Web Services Edition cannot connect to Exchange Server 2007
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange I have been using Entourage 2008 to connect to our Exchange server since it's release (part of Office 2008) and I have recently followed the instructions to update it to the Web Services Edition. I am now unable to connect to my Exchange account with this version but as soon as I re-install the 'normal' version of Entourage 2008 everything works. <br><br>Is there something I need to enable on the Exchange 2007 server to allow the Web Services Edition to connect? ...

Moving Exchange 2003 from one box to another #2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00EC_01C61758.5F3AAE80 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="koi8-r" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, Any pointers/whitepapers in moving Exchange installation along with = mailboxes and public folders from one box to another? Second box will = have it's own unique name and original box will still stay there with = Exchange services disabled. Thanks, GS ------=_NextPart_000_00EC_01C61758.5F3AAE80 Content-Type: text/html; charset="koi8-r" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!D...

how to block these connections?
Hi, how do I block the following HELO connections in Exchange 2003? Because they are either virus or spam I don't even want them to connect to my Exchange Server. 1) HELO <my external IP address> 2) HELO <my domain name> Cheers, Evans you can drop connections based on IP address...on the properties of your smtp virtual server, go to the "Access" tab, and click on connections...you can specify there... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Evans Leung" <evans_leung@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OoR5SPezFHA.2652@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hi, > &g...

CAsyncSocket connect() returns 0
Hi, My CAsyncSocket::Connect() always returns 0 (which indicates an error) but the connection is accepted by the server socket and the client OnConnect() and OnSend() events are fired. So everything seems to be working ok, but why does Connect() returns 0 ???? Call GetLastError to see why it is returning 0 AliR. "RAN" <nijenhuis@wish.nl> wrote in message news:1185808912.678740.270420@l70g2000hse.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > My CAsyncSocket::Connect() always returns 0 (which indicates an error) > but the connection is accepted by the server socket and the cli...

Another Printing Question
Hi Everyone, I just can't seem to wrap my head around this printing thing. What I am doing is creating a report that displays text, graphs (using a third party graph control), list of items and expandable list control / tree control hybrids. The problem I am facing is number of pages. I can't find a clean way to find the places where I would need to start a new page. Since what I am printing is not uniform data, I can't simply find the number of lines of text , multiply it by the line height, and divide by page height to find the number of pages. (a graph has no lines of text, a...

RWW, VPN, Exchange connection problems
Running SBS2003 on an HP server. 3 PCs used by onsite staff. 4th PC used for remote access via RWW. Having intermittent connectivity issues. I sign in remotely using an XP workstation w/RWW. I have another PC that I use to access Exchange, and occasionally connect with VPN to access files on the server at the office. I keep getting dropped on RWW with the error "VBScript Remote Desktop Disconnected. An internal error has occurred". When that happens, I also notice that my Oulook client on the other PC shows an error that the connection to Microsoft Exchange has ...

How to stop server from starting TLS when connection is made
I do not have TLS enabled on my server but I'm still getting errors from other servers trying to connect via TLS since mine is says it works. How do I stop my mail server from starting TLS? 220 mail.server.local Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 6.0.3790.211 re ady at Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:17:47 -0800 ehlo 250-mail.server.local Hello 250-TURN 250-SIZE 10485760 250-ETRN 250-PIPELINING 250-DSN 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES 250-8bitmime 250-BINARYMIME 250-CHUNKING 250-VRFY 250-TLS 250-STARTTLS 250-X-EXPS GSSAPI NTLM LOGIN 250-X-EXPS=LOGIN 250-AUTH GSSAPI NTLM LOGIN 250-AUTH=LOGIN 250-X-LIN...

Activate another form in Maximised mode
I have a form which opens up another form in pivot chart view. I want to Save the pivot form as bmp. I have used the code from Steve lebans to save the form as bmp. My problem is whenever i click on the first form it opens the pivot form in small size , picture of form is captured and then the pivot form gets maximised. thus the picture saved is of small size. Even after maximising the form on its open event it gets maximised only after the image is captured. If only I could open the pivot form in maximised mode in the first instance the complete image will be captured. Or else I open the piv...

All Office Apps quit very slowly with no internet connection.
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have Office version 12.2.1 installed. I have noticed since about 12.1.x that if I do not have an internet connection, when I close Word, Excel, or PPoint, the apps close out very slowly. The screen cleans up, but the info in the menu bar is very slow to close out completely. I have even visited the Apple store to verify this. It happens on two of my MBP's. If there is an internet connection, then it's fast to close out completely. This was an issue with Office 2004 until one of those updates fixed tha...

If it possible to stop Outlook 2002 from trying to connect to officeupdate.microsoft.com?
If it possible to stop Outlook 2002 from trying to connect to officeupdate.microsoft.com? Reason: Just because I don't want it to. M-- ...

transferring data from HQ to another
A company using 2 HQ, one for merchandizing purpose and the other for ticketing. Now the company has decided that they will use 1 HQ for both purposes ( ticketing and merchandizing ). How can i put the data in one database ??-- -- Ali ...

How to copy a Macro to another PC
How can I find and copy an Excel macro to another PC. As I recall the one I created also created a file called Personal.xls that automatically opens up. Not sure if this is the only file that needs to be copied? Also, where does it get copied to? What location? Same as original PC? -- FL Personal.xls is automatically opened (if it exists) but is hidden; use Widows | Unhide to see if you have one. Generally it is kept in the XLSTART folder; find it with a search. However, some people have Excel open other files automatically; Use Tools | Options and look on the General tab to see ...

Populating calculation from one form to another
I am trying to use a form (TotalsForm) to run a calculation over several records in and then save those totals to a subform(Summary) that is already open.The main form that the Summary subform is in is Info form. I am using a simple forms!x=y statement and it will send the data over, but have to click the save button the code is attached to twice before it will appear on the other subform. I have tried refresh and it still takes two attempts. Any suggestions? ...

Scheduled SMTP connector, only one message has a Time of Next connection
We are running an Exchange 2003 environment and we are experiencing the exact same problem below, but this is year later. Is anyone aware of fix/patch that addresses this bug? Danny Schmid ---------------------------------------- Thw word from MS Support, Australia: "Hi Malcolm, I have been carrying out some more research as per screen dumps and the issue you are experiencing. Only one of the Scheduled queues appears to be "awake". There is a known bug with Exchange 2000 and using SMTP connector scheduling. At the schedule interval of the SMTP connector only one link wi...

Problems connecting to POP3 server
Hello I am using Outlook XP to access my POP3 email account. It has been working fine for about 2 years but all of a sudden, I'm getting error messages saying that it can't access the server. I know that the service is working fine because I can use a web-based service to connect to it. I haven't installed anything new on my machine and my web connection hasn't changed. Any idea? TIA Jo Sorry, false alarm. I've just realised that it's something to do with recent updates to my AV software. Jo Sorry, false alarm. I've just realised that it's somethi...