How to connect another DC after primary DC down?

I have three server, first DC for file sharing second DC for print server and
last server (not DC) for Exchange server 2003. How can exchange run after
first DC down?
0
Mesak (9)

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 06:25:02 -0700, "Mesak"
<Mesak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have three server, first DC for file sharing second DC for print server and
>last server (not DC) for Exchange server 2003. How can exchange run after
>first DC down?

Sounds like you didn't make the 2nd server a GC. Would that be right?
You can make a DC a GC by ticking the box iN ADS&S, NTDS Settings, and
then reboot it.
Exchange should then pick it up.

You'll have to tackle the probability that the 1st DC holds all the
FSMO roles. What's happening with the 1st box? Is it dead or can you
do a System State restore onto same or new hardware?
0
mark7219 (5666)
7/2/2005 5:01:17 PM
On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 18:01:17 +0100, "Mark Arnold [MVP]"
<mark@mvps.org> wrote:

>On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 06:25:02 -0700, "Mesak"
><Mesak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>I have three server, first DC for file sharing second DC for print server and
>>last server (not DC) for Exchange server 2003. How can exchange run after
>>first DC down?
>
>Sounds like you didn't make the 2nd server a GC. Would that be right?
>You can make a DC a GC by ticking the box iN ADS&S, NTDS Settings, and
>then reboot it.
>Exchange should then pick it up.

Doesn't work for me, not if the FSMO role holder is down, even if the
second DC is a GC. That is with Windows/Exchange 2000, but I have seen
the same complaint with 2003. Exchange will continue to run if it is
up, but will not start up with the FSMO holder down - that's my
experience.

Peter

>You'll have to tackle the probability that the 1st DC holds all the
>FSMO roles. What's happening with the 1st box? Is it dead or can you
>do a System State restore onto same or new hardware?

0
Peter

Is there a formula to place a value into another cell?
Is there a formula to place a value into another cell? For example, can I have a formula in cell 'A2' that places the value "AAA" into cell 'A1'? Thanks! No, a cell can only "pull" information. You would need a macro to do what you want. chillynois@yahoo.com wrote: > Is there a formula to place a value into another cell? > > For example, can I have a formula in cell 'A2' that places the value > "AAA" into cell 'A1'? > > Thanks! > chillynois, Technically, you could come up with a UDF (user defined fu...

Copy files from one directory to another...
Is there some simple code to copy files from one directory to another? Basically what I want to do is create a little app for my wife so she can plug her digital camera in to the computer, double click an icon on the desktop, the app runs and copies all the image files from the camera to a directory on her computer, then deletes the images off the camera. I do know the directory names for both the camera and the destination. But I won't know the names of the files. Please help. Thanks, Fred One thing I left out, the camera's memory stick comes acts just like a drive on the comput...

SBS Connectivity issues
Experiencing intermittent delays and dropped connections to Small Business Server. Config is: SBS2003 SP2 (all current patches) running on HP ML110 server; 4 PCs onsite - 3 used by onsite staff; 1 used by remote user to access server via RWW. Users run basic Office apps, Outlook, Quickbooks, internet access. Also have an Avaya VIOP phone system (4 phones) on the network. Everything has been in place for almost 4 years. Having more frequent connectivity issues. Onsite PCs show delays in Outlook connecting to Exchange ('Trying to connect ...). Remote user reports...

Exchange Migration to another domain
Hello, We need to migrate everything from one domain to another. Old domain is based on win2000 and Exchange 2000. New domain has new win2003 domain controller and it's also Exchange2003. I am trying to use ADMT 2.0 and it's working fine for moving user accounts, servers, but can i move mailboxes and public folders? It did not work for me. Is there document describing moving Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003 in another domain? Thank you -- Ilya You are doing a Inter-org migration so you'll need to use the Migration wizard. http://support.microsoft.com/?id=328871 Nue "ILYA...

ODBC Connection Not Connecting
I am using the below code to 1) automatically connect to a Microsoft ODBC for Oracle connection called "FIN_CUR" and 2) run an query on a linked table in FIN_CUR The issue i am having is that the ODBC connect part of the script appears to be working, but when it goes to try to run the query I still get the popup prompting for user name and password to make the connection to the ODBC. I have verify that the user name and password are correct, but don't know what I am missing. Here is my code Public Sub OraConnect() Dim strErr As String On Error GoTo...

Outlook Win98SE Trying to Connect to Server time out. IBM 390E & Rogers.com
I have loaded Win98SE and Office 97 on an IBM 390E laptop using IBM Etherjet 10/100 network card connected to a D- Link 714P+ 4-port wire&wireless cable router. Network file transfers work fine, IE 6 works fine. Outlook often hangs when it loads and trys to connect to the (Rogers.com) server to download email messages. I contacted Rogers tech support and all settings are correct. If I take the router out of the loop and connect directly to the cable modem - Outlooks works like a charm & fast downloading of messages. I have 3 other PCs connected on the LAN and all work fine...

VPN can't connect to workstations
I am running a 2k3 network and I am trying to connect my laptop w/ Vista to it using VPN. I can connect to the server and use server shares with no problem. My problem is that it cannot connect to the workstations . Would appreciate any input on that. "john" <johnbahran@hotmail.com> said this in news item news:b4419f87-386b-41de-876a-e3546096ecc2@c34g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... > I am running a 2k3 network and I am trying to connect my laptop w/ > Vista to it using VPN. I can connect to the server and use server > shares with no problem. My problem is ...

Simultaneous socket connections. Is there a limit?
My client wants me to write an application that maintains 30 or 40 simultaneous socket connections to different hardware devices. For each device the throughput requirements are very small since only some small packets are sent occasionally at random intervals. Is there a simultaneous limit? 30 or 40 is far more then I have ever done. I don't want any surprises. Is there a limit? I assume XP Professional would handle this. Correct? Would XP Home be any different? My laptop has XP home. To certain incoming ports, its 10, although there are several cracks out their to remove this...

copy\paste from one workbook to another
I am an amateur using vb excel 97, I want to copy data fro workbook("QUOTE") and paste it into certain cells in workbook("INVOIC PROGRAM"). It is set up so that the user goes into QUOTE and makes on up. Then later on in the week they pull the saved file back up, clic on sheet1 commandbutton2 whereby this code, "ChDir "S:\RETAIL INVOICE PROGRAM" Workbooks.Open FileName:= "\\Fileserver\spencersshare\RETAIL INVOIC PROGRAM\INVOICE PROGRAM.xls", _ UpdateLinks:=3, opens the INVOIVE PROGRAM. I want to set it up so that before th INVOICE gets opened, ce...

server connect
When I first start up Outlook 2003, it contacts the mail server and everything is hunky-doory. However, when attempting to next access the mail account by the send/receive access or in background, it indicates that it cannot locate the server and gives me error (0x80004210A). This error number is not consistent other than for the 0x800 portion. The location does not change, so how can it find it initially, and not later on? I'm confused. What type of mail server? POP3, IMAP, Exchange, HTTP, Other...? Does the same happen when you disable your firewall and/or virusscanner (integra...

IMAP: A connection to the server cannot be established
I have Outlook 2007 Installed on Two Separate PCs. One has Vista installed, and the other, Windows 7. McAfee Security Center is the Anti-Virus software unstalled on both PCs. I have setup 2 IMAP Accounts on each PC and can only get the ones on the Vista Box to work correctly. This is the error I keep getting on the Windows 7 Box: Task 'Synchronizing subscribed folders for [my-email-account].' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders for [my-email-account]. Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this ...

Intranet Connection
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C3CF10.F7EDF7A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am trying to connect 5 computers using Outlook XP intranet. What is = the best way to connect them....using MS mail, MS Exchange, etc. Thanks Douglas ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C3CF10.F7EDF7A0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD>...

referencing a cell in another worksheet
Hi, I want cell F55 in worksheet "January" to display what is typed in cell B6 of worksheet "Sheet 1". These two worksheets are in the same workbook. I've typed "=Sheet1!B6" in cell F55, but instead of displaying "Jan. 4" which is what is typed into cell B6 it is showing me the forumla that i typed. What am i doing wrong/ how do i fix this? you might have pressed Ctrl+~ key. Try pressing it again. -- Karthi "Shannan" wrote: > Hi, > I want cell F55 in worksheet "January" to display what is typed in ...

IE8 and Firefox won't connect to Yuku?
I've been having an issue tonight where my internet won't connect to the Yuku site first on IE8 then on Firefox, both sites got the same screen telling me it's an inactive site and I have connection issues. I ran the trouble shooter and it's telling me I don't have an issue? I'm on Windows 7 upgrade from XP, Windows Firewall is on, spyware is AVG and Spybot. I checked all the settings and nothing looked different as I was on the site like 2 days ago. Any ideas on what the problem is? Maybe you do have connection issues? 4thjet wrote: > I've been ...

Hotmail connection
I'm new to Microsoft Outlook, and want to view and send email using Microsoft Outlook. I have used Hotmail for quite a while, and am looking for a method of "re-routing". (?) I played around with the configurations, but still could not connect to my hotmail accout through Outlook. Can any one help? Thanks. Which version of Outlook? Microsoft(R) Outlook(R) (9.0.0.2711) Internet Mail Only Copyright (c) 1995-1999 Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved. "miker67@gmail.com" wrote: > Which version of Outlook? > > zephyrus17 <zephyrus17@discussions.micros...

Maintain network connectivity on shutdown?
Hello, we have added a script to run at Windows shutdown and in testing it seems to at least run, but the problem is part of the script process that needs to access a server on our network fails because it appears that network connectivity has been dropped at this point in the shutdown process. Is there any way to set it so that network connectivity is retained on shutdown? For example, if there is still at least IP connectivity (but the WINS service has been shutdown), then could we run something on a command line to invoke the network resource? Any help would be greatly appreci...

DSAccess and DC
MOM console shows this but I dont' see this warning in the event viewer on the actual exchange server Process MAD.EXE (PID=2680). The Domain Controller DC01.dotcom is running (Unknown Operating System) (Unknown Service Pack). DSAccess requires that Domain Controllers that run Windows 2000 have at least Service Pack 3 installed. All the DCs are Windows 2003 SP1. I often see this warnings and they fix themselves. I was looking at this and seems there is not much to do. Unless I manually configure the DC for DSAccess which I don't want to for fault tolerance. http://support...

No Internet connections in Network connections!!!
Hi im new to this forum and really need help. Yesterday I decided to set up my computer again (It had been in the garage because I wasn't using it for a while). Anyways, when I first started it up it worked fine and the internet connection worked as well. Later on it began to shut off unexpectedly if i tried to remove a program through task manager that wasn't working, so since it didn't have any important data, I decided to reformat my hardrive and reinstall microsoft xp. When I started up my cpu again, I noticed that there were no connections, even though I had not unp...

Can I send a message from one session to another session?
I have two databases: One contains only tables (tables.mdb) and the other all queries, forms, modules (interface.mdb). When a user opens interface.mdb he can't do anything unless he links to the tables in a tables database or creates one (which is automatically opened/linked.) I need to be able to send a message from one session of interface.mdb to another session of it. Let me clarify: The databases are for managing tasks. Mr. Manager has one session of interface.mdb open on his machine. Simultaneously Mr. Employee has another session of interface.mdb open. Both users are linked to...

How do capture the first three characters from one cell to another cell #2
Perfect. Thanks -- ExcelAle ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ExcelAlex's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1555 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27129 ...

Remotely connect to SBS 2003
I'm a little new here. Trying to remotely connect to a SBS2003 server. However, the ISP uses DHCP to assign addresses so every 2 days the external IP changes. How can I connect to the server without asking someone at the office to give me the new external IP all the time? I've already assigned a static IP to the server in the range of 192.168.1.XXX and allowed port 3389 to that address in the router. I can connect fine when I have the correct external IP. Thanks in advance! R. Hi Remi: Welcome..... You should have a static IP address, or a dynamic to static t...

Connections in Exchange 2003 server showing 2 connections.
My exchange server keeps giving me the following error in the event log: Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeTransport Event Category: Routing Engine/Service Event ID: 929 Date: 9/21/2004 Time: 1:15:24 PM User: N/A Computer: EXCHANGE Description: Failed in reading Connector's DS Info Process Id: 1940 Process location: C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe ConnectorDN: CN=IST external mail,CN=Connections,CN=First Routing Group,CN=Routing Groups,CN=First Administrative Group,CN=Administrative Gr...

Problem connecting socket
On one machine I am having problems making a socket connection. When I try to connect, I immediately get an FD_CONNECT notification response with a WSAENOTCONN error. Sometimes the connection works; most of the time it doesn't. I don't think I am doing anything fancy. The code has not changed and has been working for awhile. Suddenly this machine seems to have a problem. Below is the connection code without the notification code. Can someone think of something to look for? Thanks /*******************/ /* Create a socket */ /*******************/ m_hSocket = socket(PF_INET,...