how to configure exchange server????

Hello

I'm running Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 Enterprise server.

I am looking at installation and configuration exchange server for 150 users
in our organization. I am looking at installation, configuration and setup
all user mailbox in the same server.

Below is server hardware configuration:
Intel Xeon 3.2 GHz (2 Processors)
6 GB ECC SDRAM
2 x 73.4 GB � Operating Systems
2 x 73.4 GB � Transaction Logs
6 x 73 .4 GB -  (4 data, 1 parity and 1 hot swap)

Domain Registration done by ISP.

I have been researching some documentation on installation and configuration
exchange server  and was wondering if you could provide me with your
expertise in configuring exchange server step by step.

I would also appreciate your input.  I do not have the knowledge as to what
we would need for installation and configuration.

I look forward to your response.  I would like to make a decision on this as
soon as.

Note : I would like to configure OWA for outside users also.

Warm Regards,

Uday

forum418 (12)

Start with "Deployment" at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/default.mspx

P.S. Your hardware is such an overkill for 150 users.

"uday via WinServerKB.com" wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm running Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 Enterprise server.
>
> I am looking at installation and configuration exchange server for 150 users
> in our organization. I am looking at installation, configuration and setup
> all user mailbox in the same server.
>
> Below is server hardware configuration:
> Intel Xeon 3.2 GHz (2 Processors)
> 6 GB ECC SDRAM
> 2 x 73.4 GB � Operating Systems
> 2 x 73.4 GB � Transaction Logs
> 6 x 73 .4 GB -  (4 data, 1 parity and 1 hot swap)
>
> Domain Registration done by ISP.
>
> I have been researching some documentation on installation and configuration
> exchange server  and was wondering if you could provide me with your
> expertise in configuring exchange server step by step.
>
> I would also appreciate your input.  I do not have the knowledge as to what
> we would need for installation and configuration.
>
> I look forward to your response.  I would like to make a decision on this as
> soon as.
>
> Note : I would like to configure OWA for outside users also.
>
> Warm Regards,
>
> Uday

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm for how to make good post.

Text from most dialog boxes can be copied to clipboard with Ctrl-INS.

0
kpalagin (1838)
7/17/2005 10:02:43 AM
Can you please suggest me...why current hardware overkill for 150 users.

I value your thoughts....appreciate your inputs.
thanks
uday

Kirill Palagin wrote:
>Start with "Deployment" at
>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/default.mspx
>
>P.S. Your hardware is such an overkill for 150 users.
>
>> Hello
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 28 lines]
>>
>> Uday
>
>--
>Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm for how to make good post.
>
>Text from most dialog boxes can be copied to clipboard with Ctrl-INS.

forum418 (12)
7/17/2005 1:13:50 PM
On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 13:13:50 GMT, "uday via WinServerKB.com"
<forum@WinServerKB.com> wrote:

>Can you please suggest me...why current hardware overkill for 150 users.
>
>I value your thoughts....appreciate your inputs.
>thanks
>uday

I think only the memory is overkill.
I'd remove 4GB and use it somewhere that would use it better.
The processors are what you can get these days, it's hard not to get
overkill on a small system, they just don't do cheaper, slower
processors. The hard drives are OK, although you have more for the
stores than you need right now but it's good to keep contingency.
0
mark7219 (5666)
7/17/2005 2:35:02 PM
Hi,

I'm not an Exchange expert, but I was told on a recent course I attended
that Exchange itself can only use a maximum of 4GB of memory. So even if you
have 6GB, Exchange will only use 4GB of it.

Hope that helps,

Curtis.

--------------------

"uday via WinServerKB.com" <forum@WinServerKB.com> wrote in message

> Can you please suggest me...why current hardware overkill for 150 users.
>
> I value your thoughts....appreciate your inputs.
> thanks
> uday
>
> Kirill Palagin wrote:
>>Start with "Deployment" at
>>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/default.mspx
>>
>>P.S. Your hardware is such an overkill for 150 users.
>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>[quoted text clipped - 28 lines]
>>>
>>> Uday
>>
>>--
>>Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm for how to make good post.
>>
>>Text from most dialog boxes can be copied to clipboard with Ctrl-INS.

xxx2719 (71)
7/18/2005 10:25:23 AM
"Curtis Fray" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote:

>I'm not an Exchange expert, but I was told on a recent course I attended
>that Exchange itself can only use a maximum of 4GB of memory. So even if you
>have 6GB, Exchange will only use 4GB of it.

Exchange is a 32-bit application and can't use more than 4GB of
address space. But address space and physical memory aren't the same
(if they were you'd need 8GB of physical memory to run just two
processes!). Other processes can use the memory. The problems are the
need to use things like /PAE.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

How to programmatically get the size of public folders on Exchange Server
Hello, Can you help me please? I have public folder structure in public foders on exchange server. I would like list public folders with size on each folder with subfoldes. I prefer example of script which can I do this. I read Q320071 (How to programmatically get the size of mailbox folders on Exchange Server) but when I change path from mbx to public folder then the script doesn't work as i excepted. Thank you Daniel Vojvoda ...

Deleting databases in exchange 2003
One of my storage groups has gone corrupt due to a hardware issue, and I managed to restore an older copy. I created a new storage group and have created new databases within this storage group. My problem is that when I take all of the accounts out of each database and transfer them to the new databases I am left with 2 accounts in each database that I can't delete or move, this in turn stops me from deleting these old databases and hence the storage group. these accounts are :SMTP mail and sytem mailbox. these 2 are in each database. How do I delete them? Any help is much apprecia...

micr configurable stubs
Hi All, Has anyone had to configure checks for GP using configurable stubs for MICR? Are there any tricks to making the process easier or an alternative program to use. Th eprocess so far is painfull as only one item can be selected at a time and each time I add an item it starts in upper left hand corner above other items. Thanks in advance for any insight Lorne Are you using Mekorma? I've used it to configure checks and found it relatively easy to use. Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com get your GPtip42today at www.gp2t...

Rebuild/rename exchange server
Hi, apologies for the crosspost but think it is valid... I have exchange 2003 standard running on one server on my network. The box it is running on is being rebuilt and renamed, and exchange reinstalled (disaster recovery mode) and restored. My question is that all my clients (OL2003) are set to point to the old server name, and I need to point them all at the new server name. Can anyone advise the best way of doing this? Thanks, steve I think they automatically look for the new server once the old one is decommissioned, but I'm not running E2K3 here. They did do a migration a...

Exchange 5.5 IMC question
Hi, anyone know how to stop an Exchange 5.5 IMC from recieving but still allow it to send?? Cheers John On the Connections tab, set the Transfer Mode to Outbound Only. Restart the IMS. -- Denis McDowell [MSFT] "John" <John@4sol.com> wrote in message news:OnQV9krLEHA.2612@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > anyone know how to stop an Exchange 5.5 IMC from recieving but still allow > it to send?? > > Cheers > > John > > Great tip!! This is the answer to my problem (see the "Can I run NAV on received e-mails?"). I need to install NA...

Vista & Exchange System Management Tools / Admin Pack / AdminPak
I have Windows Server Administration Tools installed on Vista, but can't get Exchange System Management Tools to install. When I run the Setup, it warns me twice that this is not compatible with Vista. When I continue anyway, and try to select the Exchange System Management Tools, it tells me: "The component "Microsoft Exchange System Management Tools" cannot be assigned the action "install" because: - The "Internet Information Services Snap-In" component of the Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) is either not installed or disabled" I ...

CRM 4.0 Outlook Client Install/Configuration
I cannot get the Outlook client to configure for any users. The intranet address and internet address are not found. Connectivity has been verified between workstations and crm server. Web clients work ok - thoush some functionality related to custom entities is not behaving properly (lookups not functioning, etc.) Addtionally, CRM is not sending or tracking emails at all. The CRM setup is as follows: Upgraded from 3.0 Win 2K3 Server (fully updated) with SQL 2005 SP2, Reporting Services SP2 Exchange 2003 Server (fully updated) - Email router will not configure. Any suggestions would b...

Exchange 2010 and Blackberry
We have a client that is running Exchange 2003 with a Blackberry Enterprise Server. We are going to upgrade the client to Exchange 2010. Before proceeding, I was wondering if there were any issues running Exchange 2010 with a Blackberry Enterprise Server. I was also wondering (hoping) that the functions the Blackberry Enterprise Server perform now had been incorporated into this new version of Exchange. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 12:04:56 -0500, "skymax_taf" <skymax_taf@yahoo.com> wrote: >We have a client that is running Exchange 2003 ...

Configuration
Hello, I just installed Office 7 Home and Student and every time I open Word it says that it has to Configure the program. It doesn't do that with the other programs and it is getting tiresome because it takes a few minutes. Has anyone else had this problem or have some suggestions? Thanks! Jenn ...

Help
I just started a 3 week trip and need to run Money to track spending while I'm away. However, when I start Money, it is trying to install something, and wants the Money CD, which is back at home. Yes, I know I should have tried this before I left, but the laptop with Money hasn't changed - its just out of its docking station. I thought I'd ask on the small chance that someone might have a clue on what might cause this and/or how to get around it. I can't think of any reason for something to be installed, but there must be something. Thanks TM What file(s) is it asking for...

Viruses and Exchange
So we've just began using an exchange server here, we've got mcafee webshield, along with group shield, and everyone keeps gettin viruses in thier mail. Whats the best way to stop all these virsuses from getting though? (or to stop all the virsuses that are being sent around) steve wrote: > So we've just began using an exchange server here, we've > got mcafee webshield, along with group shield, and > everyone keeps gettin viruses in thier mail. Whats the > best way to stop all these virsuses from getting though? > (or to stop all the virsuses that are being ...

No Exchange but Want to Share
Hi Y'all! I have moved to a new company which does not have an Exchange Server (can you beleive it!?). Can anyone share any ideas that will give me similar share facilities that are standard with Exchange, without Exchange (sorry Bill, I love Exchange but the bosses won't pay your price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) tia Jonathan http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm (other solutions section perhaps) "jonathan" <jonathan@cbimports.co.uk> wrote in message news:%235ovfC6NEHA.3944@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi Y'all! > > I have moved to a new company whi...

Changing Exchange server name
Hi all, I've to change my Exchange server name from old_server_name to new_server_name. What I've to know before make this change? Thank you On the same subject, I use an MST when installing through my org. I will alter the MST so Outlook configures Automatically on new installs but where is the Exchange sever named stored to change it on Previously installed PCs (only effects user who sign on to multiple location as there first sign on is handled by Active Directory) . note: sry to horde in on your thread Andrea "Andrea Caldarone" wrote: > Hi all, > &...

Exchange 2003 ActiveSync with PPC2002
hi every one . i cant make ActiveSync to work with my PPC2002 Moblie phone , i have found some WhitePapaers that telling the basics but not more then that ! . im trying to do it localy with the USB cradle for the time being i always get error Messages like : " INTERNET_29" " COMMGR_36 " and " 0X8450000 any help will be more then welcome !! Thanks Ahead Dani This is usually caused by connectivity issues or not having an SSL certificate installed on the server. Check out this article: 318883 XCCC: "Synchronization failed" Error Message Occurs with an I...

Romve Third Party Connector from Exchange 5.5
Hi everyone, My platform is Win NT4 SP6 and exchange 5.5 SP4. Can anyone please let me know the procedure to remove GoldFax connector from exchange because I am getting replication errors with the eventid 2037. Thanks in advance. You probably need to remove the extensions from your recipient container(s) in Exchange Admin raw mode unless the applicaiton has an uninstall routine. I strongly recommend contacting the vendor directly for instructions on how to do this. Hacking the product out of Exchange could leave your organization in a non-operational state and would likely require a...

How to create Release mode configure
Hi all, i am building a project, but i removed default Release configure, and now i try to use Debug config to copy to Release and then change something NDEBUG, Debug info is none, uncheck Generate Debug info any one can help me do this so that i dn't need to create new project again? Turn on optimizations. Do NOT turn off "Generate debug info"; it was a fundamental design error in VS to turn this off. You will need it to read crash dumps coming back from the field. Turn off the various runtime checks. Select the libraries to be the MultiThreaded DLL or for static lin...

18000 Users Exchange
We would like to use Exchange 2003 for our school system but would like some suggestions on an architecture. We have two locations. Site 1 = 14000 Site 2 = 4000-5000 How many front-end and backend system would you have and how would they be placed? I understand that this is all VERY high-level, but I would still like some scenarios and suggestions provided - let's pretend bandwidth is not of a concern. Thanks- It depends on how active the users are with their email. I'm assuming that those numbers include mailboxes you will be providing to students. You'll likely ...

Send To not working on terminal server
I have one user that the "Send To" option is greyed out when he prints to screen. He accesses GP via a terminal server connection. All the other users on the same terminal server are able to send to txt or pdf. I have walked through all the steps on TK869598 "Send to Icon not active when printing reports to the screen". His exchange/outlook profile is set up correctly. He can even open Outlook from his GP Home Page. I wiped out and re-created his user profile on the Terminal Server and that didn't resolve the issue either. I had one other T/S user that this fix...

Exchange 2003 SP2 Symbols
What is the best way to install the symbols for E2K3-SP2? ...

configuration
Whwnever I start Windows, Office tries to reconfigure Publisher - how do I stop this? What version Publisher? You receive a "Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Office XP Pro" error message when you upgrade to Office 2003 or Office 2007 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825941/en-us -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "BG" <BG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B81BB44C-05D4-4435-BCED-9DA45DACCB96@microsoft.com... > Whwnever I start Windows, Office tries to reconfigure...

Permission to access all mailboxes:Exchange Services or Exchange Domain Severs
I am setting up Commvault backup software and I need to grant ability to an AD account access all mailboxes during backup. Question here: Security wise, which one is more viable, make an account member of Exchange Services or grant such backup account "Full Exchange Administrator" rights ? I think it is the former but I would like to confirm. Depending on which version of Exchange you are running, neither one may be viable. Delegating control and granting Exchange Full Admin will result in an inherited deny on the mailbox stores for Send As/Receive As permissions, which resu...

Exchange 2003 SP2 IMF set to archive but is deleting e-mails?!
I have enabled IMF on Exchange Server 2003 SP2, and setup the following: "Gateway Blocking Configuration" is set to "7" and to "Archive" "Store Junk E-mail Configuration" is set to "7" thereafter I restarted the Information Store + SMTP Virtual Server. Spam e-mails gets archived very nice, but after af few days, to my horror, I now see alot of "1039" entries in the Messaging tracking log, which means "SMTP message deleted by Intelligent Message Filtering"??! (according to: Message tracking event IDs in Exchange Server...

Send on behalf not working in Hosted Exchange 2003?
Hi I have Exchange 2003 set up in a hosted exchange environment. My problem is that I have one user that has added another user to deligates and with reviewer rights on the inbox. (I read that it should be enough for send on behalf) But I always get this error when I try to send on behalf of this user: " Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: Test Sent: 4.1.2005 11:00 The following recipient(s) could not be reached: Test user on 4.1.2005 11:00 You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administra...

Migration from Notes to Exchange
I can migrate mailboxes from Notes to Excahnge just fine but having a little issue with Calendaring. After migration all calendar events are one hour ahead in Outlook. I have alreday checked to make sure that the day light savings is enabled on the server running Notes/Domino and Exchange. Any ideas?? Thanks, Feddie How about the clients? That is where the problem is when we run into it. -- Regards, Hank Arnold "Feddie" <Feddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4A5D1329-0B8F-45AC-98D3-1E13B9BBF8D2@microsoft.com... > I can migrate mailboxes from Notes to ...

IMAP4 configuration
I need to allow my users to retrieve their mail from my Exchange server while they are away from the office. I have OWA working right now for web-based email, but I am considering stopping that and only using IMAP4 because many of my users have only dial-up access at their homes, and it takes too long for them to connect via OWA. The main people complaining about the currect situation are the executive director and program director, so I'd like to do what I can to keep them happy. However, I need to know how to access the Exchange mailboxes from outside the network. I have tried sev...