How to Change "Display Name" of a Distribution Group

Greetings,

I need to change the display name of a distribution group from "myGroup" to 
"MyGroup".
What I did was -- Right click the Distribution group under Active Directory 
Users and Computers -> Properties -> Exchange Gerenal -> change "myGroup" to 
"MyGroup" in the "Display name" field.
But when I click "Apply" or "OK", the display name returns back to 
"myGroup".

BTW, it's Windows Server 2003 envirionment, and I have an Exchange 2003 in 
the domain.

Any idea is appreciated,
Ross 


0
Ross
11/26/2009 2:44:10 PM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 1 followers. Follow

3 Replies
6657 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 18

"Ross" <ross@nospam.ca> wrote in message 
news:a0e26$4b0e9442$d1d95e5d$17342@PRIMUS.CA...
> Greetings,
>
> I need to change the display name of a distribution group from "myGroup" 
> to "MyGroup".
> What I did was -- Right click the Distribution group under Active 
> Directory Users and Computers -> Properties -> Exchange Gerenal -> change 
> "myGroup" to "MyGroup" in the "Display name" field.
> But when I click "Apply" or "OK", the display name returns back to 
> "myGroup".
>
> BTW, it's Windows Server 2003 envirionment, and I have an Exchange 2003 in 
> the domain.
>
> Any idea is appreciated,
> Ross
>


You'll need to change it to something else like myGroup2, apply, then change 
it to MyGroup. Apparently it is not case sensitive to save case if it is the 
same character, even if it is a different ASCII code.

-- 
Ace

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and 
confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among 
responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 
2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
Microsoft Certified Trainer

For urgent issues, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check 
http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers. 


0
Ace
11/26/2009 6:02:34 PM
You are right. That really does the trick! If you didn't mention, I would 
never think of this.
Thank you Ace.
Ross

"Ace Fekay [MCT]" <aceman@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org> wrote in message 
news:OqIQjKsbKHA.1648@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> "Ross" <ross@nospam.ca> wrote in message 
> news:a0e26$4b0e9442$d1d95e5d$17342@PRIMUS.CA...
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I need to change the display name of a distribution group from "myGroup" 
>> to "MyGroup".
>> What I did was -- Right click the Distribution group under Active 
>> Directory Users and Computers -> Properties -> Exchange Gerenal -> change 
>> "myGroup" to "MyGroup" in the "Display name" field.
>> But when I click "Apply" or "OK", the display name returns back to 
>> "myGroup".
>>
>> BTW, it's Windows Server 2003 envirionment, and I have an Exchange 2003 
>> in the domain.
>>
>> Any idea is appreciated,
>> Ross
>>
>
>
> You'll need to change it to something else like myGroup2, apply, then 
> change it to MyGroup. Apparently it is not case sensitive to save case if 
> it is the same character, even if it is a different ASCII code.
>
> -- 
> Ace
>
> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and 
> confers no rights.
>
> Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit 
> among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your 
> resolution.
>
> Ace Fekay, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 
> 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
> Microsoft Certified Trainer
>
> For urgent issues, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check 
> http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
> 


0
Ross
11/26/2009 6:39:43 PM
"Ross" <ross@nospam.ca> wrote in message 
news:a3100$4b0ecb77$d1d95e5d$18382@PRIMUS.CA...
> You are right. That really does the trick! If you didn't mention, I would 
> never think of this.
> Thank you Ace.
> Ross
>

You are welcome! :-)

Ace




0
Ace
11/27/2009 4:06:15 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Display Name of Field from 1 form in an unbound box on another for
I have 2 forms, 1 that is used to enter data and 1 that is a giant number pad. If a person double clicks in one of the fields on the data entry form it will open the number pad form and they can use the number pad to enter the data. This process works great. However, I want to have an unbound box at the top of the number pad form that shows which field has the focus on the data entry form. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Easy. Get the name of the field when the user clicks the control. If the control name is the same as the field name, that's easy. Otherwise you can s...

Bulk Change E-Mail Display Name
Hi, I have a customer who recently installed OL2k3 and apparently it updated all the display names on her contacts (1500) to Name (e-mail address) - she just wants the Name - not the email address. Is there any way you can bulk change all the display names? Thanks Marek ...

FROM display name
In Exchange 5.5, what is it using for the displayed FROM name on Internet Mail. For example, I want "John Smith" to show as "John Smith- Sales" I tried changing the display name in exchange admin, but that didn't change it. Can you change that without making a new mail box? On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 11:39:40 -0600, "John Smith" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote: >In Exchange 5.5, what is it using for the displayed FROM name on Internet >Mail. For example, I want "John Smith" to show as "John Smith- Sales" I >tried changing the ...

Outlook Mail Item Duplicate "Display Name" Problem
Dear all, I'm currently writing a Persona Menu smart tag in Outlook 2003. I use dynamic caption and intend to modify the "Additional Actions" sub-menu depending on the contact(in the MAPIFolder) that the tag is referring to. Problem occurs in the mapping of the tag and OL contact. All information I can find from the smart tag action DLL(with ISmartTagAction2 interface) is just the tagged text string from get_VerbCaptionFromID2() but not the entity object that calls the persona menu. So my way to complete the chain is to : 1) search the sender and recipients' "display...

Automatic formatting fails for display name.
Hi, I'm trying to use the Organize (using colors) in order to show messages that were sent only for me with underline. I did it from the "Automatic Formatting..." menu. The problem is that it does not work if the mail was sent to me with my display name. For example, if the mail was sent to "'Tal Green' <talgreen1@gmail.com>" the rule will not work. But if the mail was sent to "talgreen1@gmail.com" only, the rule will work. I created the rule once by checking the "Where I am:" checkbox and selecting "The only person on the To li...

Change Sender display name
How do I change the sender display name? TIA John What version of Exchange? John wrote: > How do I change the sender display name? > > TIA > > John Thank you!! John "John Bryntze" <JohnBryntze@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:694B9992-CD0D-4F6D-8196-10CE766D7308@microsoft.com... > Hi John, > I guess you are runing Exchange 2000 or Exchange 2003? > If so.. change in AD via Active Directory Users and Computers > Go into the user you wanna change.. and change "Display Name" field under the General Tab > > Goo...

Display name of User in printouts of outlook mail message
Hey Guys, I was hoping someone could tell me how outlook references the display name it generates in printing out mail messages. This is the header section at the very top of the printout, followed by a black line break (not talking about the name displayed in the "from:" or "sent:" etc.) I have a faculty member whose name shows up as "Steven Holditch" instead of "Stephen Holditch" when printing out, but on his exchange account, local outlook account, and IMAP account, all the names are Stephen. I can't find any trace of a name "Steven"...

change display name
Hi all, Exchange 2003 /windows 2003 envir. Currently, we have users show as First name last name in our GAL. If we want to show users as Last name, First name, where should I change for all lists in the GAL? Thank you. On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 14:48:35 -0700, ed <ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi all, > >Exchange 2003 /windows 2003 envir. > >Currently, we have users show as First name last name in our GAL. If we >want to show users as Last name, First name, where should I change for all >lists in the GAL? To change the existing AD ob...

contact email addresses and display names interchange
When in contacts, i have noticed that the email addresses and display names interchange periodically and do not match. Completely different person for email address and display name. Do I have a virus? I ran the office diagnostics and it says nothing is wrong. HELP!!! It is not pleasant to email someone and a completely different person receives the message ...

Error binding display name
Hello, I have just followed KB article 317327 on my SBS 2003 machine so as to add an email disclaimer. I got the below error when trying to register the sink: - C:\PROGRA~1\Exchsrvr>cd scripts C:\PROGRA~1\Exchsrvr\scripts>cscript smtpreg.vbs /add 1 OnArrival SMTPDisclaimer SMTPEventSink.Disclaimer "mail from=*@mydomain.com" Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.6 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1996-2001. All rights reserved. Binding Display Name Specified: SMTPDisclaimer ** Registration Failed ** Err.Number (HRESULT) = 0x1AD Err.Description = Act...

Change Display Name in From field
Is there a way to change the FROM field display name for e-mails I get? Right now fx1234@aol.com shows up as being from fx1234@aol.com instead of from Bob Jones. Bob Jones is in my address book and contacts, and I've changed the display name to Bob Jones. Also I try to edit the messages as they come in but when I change the display name the change is never saved. I'm using Outlook 2003. Thanks. I don't think you can change the From field since Outlook is showing what came in the message itself with no regard to your address book, as far as I know. "Kim Webb" <...

Script to populate display name from Win AD?
Good afternoon, Would you happen to have a script to take the First Name and the Last Name in Windows AD 2003 Server to populate the Display Name in the profile? Would like to perform this across the domain for hundreds of users. Thank you, Bill Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Programming C# http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/718b8580-cd75-4234-8764-db65bebbe8ad/programming-c.aspx "Bill Ewald" wrote in message news:2010111152931waepride@hotmail.com... > Good afternoon, > Would you happen to have a script to take the Fir...

Outlook Today display name.
I have noticed these discrepancy's. Outlook Today - [mailbox - Sturdivant, Bo] (OL2000 sp3) Outlook Today - [Sturdivant, Bo] (OL2002 sp2) The second one losses the mailbox text. This seems like know big deal, except when your last name begins with q or higher it forces your public and personal folder to the top above your Outlook today. Is the mailbox before the name something that some versions of Outlook drop, and if so is there a workaround? ...

List of Codes and Display Names for Codes
Hi all, I am trying to find out if there is something I can do to save m physically switching screens and finding out the names of a a code. Ie I have a list of telephone no.s on a work sheet and each no. belong to a team somtimes teams have more than one phone no. as expected. I also have a list of all the phone calls made out of a buidling and need to find out which team is making the most amount of calls etc. S I go to the no. screen and ctrl and F and type in the no. find the tea flick back to the no.s screen and type in next to it? Has anyone any ideas??? Help please this takes me ...

Display name
how do you stop outlook from displaying your name when sending an email??? Hi, go to "Tools, Accounts" then "Properties, General" tab Delete "Name" from "User information" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ee6101c3bd4a$b27be740$a601280a@phx.gbl... > how do you stop outlook from displaying your name when > sending an email??? >-----Original Message----- >Hi, go to >"Tools, Accounts" then "Properties, General" tab >Delete "Name" from "User information" > >...

Outlook 2000 display name
Trying to change the display name of an account in Outlook 2000 SP-3 Windows XP machine But I can't find the option to do it, all I keep on getting is e-mail services and nothing that says accounts even when I go through options. Any help would be appreciated Corp/Workgroup mode does not use the term account. Your Internet Mail Service is your email account. Set the name there in Properties -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Miranda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0c2a01c46e89$a46fc5e0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Trying to change the display n...

How to change the Display name.
I am running SBS2003. My question is how can I change the name that shows up in the "From" when someone receives an email. I do not want to change the email address that shows up just the display name. I have tried changing the display name in "User's Properties", but that did not seem to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. IN ADUC, right click on the user object you wish to rename, and choose 'rename'. That will bring up the properties to change... "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5C66178E-1886...

Display names in Contacts
When I create a new contact and after that I type the email address, then Display name is written like this : LastName FirstName(email). Is there a setting that I can change to eliminate the email address in the display name ? I would like to have the display name showing like this : LastName FirstName . Antoine Veilleux Change the 'Display as' setting when creating new contacts. "Shidewa" wrote: > When I create a new contact and after that I type the email address, > then Display name is written like this : LastName FirstName(email). Is > there a settin...

display name
We are experiencing a strange problem. With exchange 2003 we have on a SBS server when someone types the name of a person in the GAL it resolves to the address that contains the O, OU, C information instead of just the last name of the person. Anyone that can shed some light on this would be appreciated thanks Kurt ...

Where can I find the Display Names for Payroll files in Great Plai
We need table names so we can perform installation cleanup and reporting. Where -oh -where are the Display Names and as a bonus, description of the contents of a table??? Bob, Not sure if this is what you are looking for but in 7.5 under Tools >> Resource Descriptions >> Tables, you can see the physical name, technical name, display name, etc. You can also view what tables are associated with each window from Tools >> Resource Descriptions >> Windows. Hope this helps! "Bob C." wrote: > We need table names so we can perform installation cleanu...

Persons display name is different in Inbox & Sent Items
Hi I'm using O.2003 Inbox is displayed Surname,Forename & in Sent it's the other way around. This makes it awkward for searching etc. In the contact it's displayed Forename,Surname in all the boxes (Full Name, File As, Display as) Is there a way to change this so both future incoming & already received emails are display as I want? Cheers Dave F. Please note this email has been cross-posted to relevant NG's to obtain the quickest, most accurate answer. No, because the sender -- not you -- controls what display name you see = in the Inbox.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, ...

Controlling display names
I'll try asking this again a different way: Is there a way to have a display name for Exchange 2003 in the global address list appear differently than the display name when sent outside my organization via email? Example: in the GAL, I want to have John Smith, but for email sent outside the organization, we just want email to come from John in the email header: From: "John" <johnsemailaddress@mycompany.com> This problem is all about the display name, nothing to do with the actual e-mail address. ? In news:Xns9751A534BB07vo243hotmailcom@207.46.248.16, Vo <vo24...

Sent folder display name
Ok, I am using 2 email accts... If i send a message to someone when it arrives in the sent folder, it displays the other user name.. not the acct i sent it from. I checked that when it was delievered, it does display the correct name. HELP Kristen Kristen <kkormann@monmouth.edu> wrote: > Ok, I am using 2 email accts... If i send a message to > someone when it arrives in the sent folder, it displays > the other user name.. not the acct i sent it from. > > I checked that when it was delievered, it does display the > correct name. Add the From field using the ...

Changing Recevied Email Sender Display Name
Okay, Currently I have a received email which has "aaa@yahoo.com" under the "From:". I added the "aaa@yahoo.com" email to my contact with the display name as "Apple". Subsequent received mails from aaa@yahoo.com is displayed as "Apple" under the "From:". Does anyone know why older mails "From:" displayed name is not mapped to the Contact folder's display name? I would like to change the old emails which shows aaa@yahoo.com to "Apple". Sincerely Idiot. ...

White Space in Distribution List Display Names
Good Afternoon, I'm hoping that someone out there can give me some guidance on white space in DL display names in Exchange 2007. In the past our IT team has used Active Directory Users & Computers to create mail-enabled distribution groups. Now that we are an Exchange 2007 only shop, it's my understanding that these should be created through the Exchange Management Console, which is no problem at all. The problem is, in the past all of our groups were created with a leading space in the display name, ie " Accounting Group" rather than "Accounting ...