How to access Exchange 5.5 .edb files programmatically

We recently had a horrible crash of our NT4 network PDC. We went to promote
our BDC and it failed. All our security is hosed. We have recreated our
domain and are tryint restore our Exchange 5.5 mail. We can't do it without
the proper security stuff. I want to write a program that accesses the
information from the .edb files and migrates it to the new mail server. I
can access the new mail server easily enough through MAPI and related
technologies, but need to scavenge the data from the old edb files. Is there
an ODBC driver, OLEDB provider, or other such tool that will allow me easy
access into the data. If not, is there a file specification for .edb so that
I can parse the file by hand?

--
Howard Swope [howardsnewsATspitzincDOTcom]
Software Engineer

0
Howard

There is really no way to access this data in the manner you are proposing.
What you may want to do is build a recovery server and extract the data that
way using Exmerge.

I have outlined the process below:

===
1. Install Exchange using the same Organization name as on the Original
Server.  This info can be found in your Exchange Server Setup.log file on
the original server.  If you do not know this info or have access to this,
if you use an invalid org or site name an error will be logged in your
application log after failing to start the Information Store.  The text of
this error will give you the correct org and/or site names.  You will then
need to reinstall using the correct names

2. When prompted to join the existing site or create a new site, do NOT join
the existing site, but create a NEW site with the SAME name as on your
original box.  (again this is in the Setup.log file)

3.Run Performance Optimizer.  4. Apply the same Service Pack as on your
original server.

5. Stop the Information Store.   Clear out the MDBDATA folder on ALL drives
of any log files or the edb.chk file.  This folder on ALL drives should be
empty.

6. Restore the Information Store by copying the priv.edb and pub.edb files
into the Mdbdata folder.  You can restore only the priv.edb if the pub is
not available.

7.  If when starting the Store you receive a -1011 popup, go to a Command
Prompt and your Exchsrvr/Bin folder.  Type "Isinteg -patch" without the
quotes.  ONLY do this if prompted with the -1011.

8. Once the Information Store is started, you will have mailbox data but no
mailboxes

9. If you had any Recipient Containers that were not the Default, you need
to recreate them.  For example a container called Sales which contained
mailboxes for users in the Sales Dept.

10. Go to the Properties of your Server Name under the Servers Container and
the Advanced Tab.  Select Consistency Adjuster.  Check the top 2 options
Filter All Inconsistencies.

11. This will create your mailboxes.  They will not be associated with
Primary Windows NT accounts.  They do not need to be, since we will be
Exmerging into another server.  Use the two step process once to export the
data to pst files then to import them into your mailboxes on the new server.

RUNNING EXMERGE

===================

Exmerge simply copies the contents of users' mailboxes to personal folder
files.  Since it makes a copy of your priv.eb essentially, you will need
certain space requirements.  For example if your priv.edb is 10GB, you will
need 10GB for your priv + 10GB for the pst files + 10% for the loss of
single instance storage.  You can export the pst files to mapped drive if
you lack adequate space on this server.

Also another benefit of Exmerge, is that during Step 2, the Import Process,
it does not import corrupted messages into your database.  It is a simple
GUI interface and the process is easy to follow.  The step by step is
outlined in this KB article

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q259/6/88.asp

--
Hope this helps

--
Melissa Travers, MCSE
Microsoft Exchange Support

purposes only.

"Howard Swope" <howardsusenetATspitzincDOTcom> wrote in message
> We recently had a horrible crash of our NT4 network PDC. We went to
promote
> our BDC and it failed. All our security is hosed. We have recreated our
> domain and are tryint restore our Exchange 5.5 mail. We can't do it
without
> the proper security stuff. I want to write a program that accesses the
> information from the .edb files and migrates it to the new mail server. I
> can access the new mail server easily enough through MAPI and related
> technologies, but need to scavenge the data from the old edb files. Is
there
> an ODBC driver, OLEDB provider, or other such tool that will allow me easy
> access into the data. If not, is there a file specification for .edb so
that
> I can parse the file by hand?
>
> --
> Howard Swope [howardsnewsATspitzincDOTcom]
> Software Engineer
> Spitz, Inc [http://www.spitzinc.com]

0
mtravers (146)
4/20/2004 10:04:57 PM
I thought Microsoft had a migration tool for exactly the situation where the
security information got killed (eg. server lost). This would be a typical
situation, for example, if you had been performing regular backups and the
server died.

Unfortunately, my memory of this is several years old so I don't know
specifics such as the name of the tool.

Cheers

Kevin.

"Howard Swope" <howardsusenetATspitzincDOTcom> wrote in message
> We recently had a horrible crash of our NT4 network PDC. We went to
promote
> our BDC and it failed. All our security is hosed. We have recreated our
> domain and are tryint restore our Exchange 5.5 mail. We can't do it
without
> the proper security stuff. I want to write a program that accesses the
> information from the .edb files and migrates it to the new mail server. I
> can access the new mail server easily enough through MAPI and related
> technologies, but need to scavenge the data from the old edb files. Is
there
> an ODBC driver, OLEDB provider, or other such tool that will allow me easy
> access into the data. If not, is there a file specification for .edb so
that
> I can parse the file by hand?
>
> --
> Howard Swope [howardsnewsATspitzincDOTcom]
> Software Engineer
> Spitz, Inc [http://www.spitzinc.com]

Hi all,

You can also try to use Ontrack PowerControl tool !

http://www.ontrack.com/powercontrols/

Good luck.

Benjamin Mateos
MCSE, MCSA + Messaging, A+, i-Net+, CIW, CCA
Analista de Sistemas
E-Mail: benjamin_mateos@hotmail.com
Aprende Exchange --> http://mateosb.blogspot.com

"Melissa Travers [MSFT]" <mtravers@online.microsoft.com> escribi� en el
mensaje news:Or3QFOyJEHA.2884@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> promote
> > our BDC and it failed. All our security is hosed. We have recreated our
> > domain and are tryint restore our Exchange 5.5 mail. We can't do it
> without
> > the proper security stuff. I want to write a program that accesses the
> > information from the .edb files and migrates it to the new mail server.
> > can access the new mail server easily enough through MAPI and related
> > technologies, but need to scavenge the data from the old edb files. Is
> there
> > an ODBC driver, OLEDB provider, or other such tool that will allow me
easy
> > access into the data. If not, is there a file specification for .edb so
> that
> > I can parse the file by hand?
> >
> > --
> > Howard Swope [howardsnewsATspitzincDOTcom]

Unless I am misunderstanding what you are asking, I am not aware of such a
tool. Perhaps you are thinking of the Migration Wizard?  From my
understanding you rebuilt your domain,  lost your SAM database, but still
have the old database files on another server and want to use these database
files to recover your old email messages to your new Exchange server.

Basically, you can copy the priv and pub database files from Server A to
Server B as long as you have the same Org and Site Names.  It is relatively
straightforward process.  Since it appears you lost your SAM database, the
accounts would need to be recreated and then once the databases are
restored, the mailboxes can be reassociated with the new accounts.

The Dir.edb cannot be restored since the SAM database was lost as it will
look for the SID of the Exchange Service Account.

Or Exmerge can be used in the method I described in the previous post.

You will need to recreate any distribution lists and public folder
permissions.

As someone else posted, there may be a 3rd party utility that can accomplish
this.

--
Hope this helps

--

"Kevin Frey" <kevin_g_frey@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I thought Microsoft had a migration tool for exactly the situation where
the
> security information got killed (eg. server lost). This would be a typical
> situation, for example, if you had been performing regular backups and the
> server died.
>
> Unfortunately, my memory of this is several years old so I don't know
> specifics such as the name of the tool.
>
> Cheers
>
> Kevin.
>
> "Howard Swope" <howardsusenetATspitzincDOTcom> wrote in message
> > We recently had a horrible crash of our NT4 network PDC. We went to
> promote
> > our BDC and it failed. All our security is hosed. We have recreated our
> > domain and are tryint restore our Exchange 5.5 mail. We can't do it
> without
> > the proper security stuff. I want to write a program that accesses the
> > information from the .edb files and migrates it to the new mail server.
> > can access the new mail server easily enough through MAPI and related
> > technologies, but need to scavenge the data from the old edb files. Is
> there
> > an ODBC driver, OLEDB provider, or other such tool that will allow me
easy
> > access into the data. If not, is there a file specification for .edb so
> that
> > I can parse the file by hand?
> >
> > --
> > Howard Swope [howardsnewsATspitzincDOTcom]
> > Software Engineer
> > Spitz, Inc [http://www.spitzinc.com]

0
mtravers (146)
4/21/2004 3:41:51 PM
Melissa:

Thanks. That's got us on the correct path. Much appreciated.

"Melissa Travers [MSFT]" <mtravers@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> promote
> > our BDC and it failed. All our security is hosed. We have recreated our
> > domain and are tryint restore our Exchange 5.5 mail. We can't do it
> without
> > the proper security stuff. I want to write a program that accesses the
> > information from the .edb files and migrates it to the new mail server.
> > can access the new mail server easily enough through MAPI and related
> > technologies, but need to scavenge the data from the old edb files. Is
> there
> > an ODBC driver, OLEDB provider, or other such tool that will allow me
easy
> > access into the data. If not, is there a file specification for .edb so
> that
> > I can parse the file by hand?
> >
> > --
> > Howard Swope [howardsnewsATspitzincDOTcom]

The system file cannot be specified
I don't know if this is the right group but I hope someone can help. I have XP Home with Service Pack 3. I have a file on my NTFS slave drive with following entry in one of its directories: 01 - O 'twas a joyful sound to hear (Colchester) _Tansus/mq3 Obviously there's an invalid character in the name but I can't delete it. Every time I do, it says: "The system file cannot be specified." It has a file length of 0 bytes. I have tried many ways to delete this, but nothing works. Here are just two of the many things I've tried: http://support.mic...

Restricting access to note attachments

Outlook Web Access AutoSignature

Inserting picture from file in Publisher 2000
I installed a trial Pub 2007 and when it ran its course I uninstalled it and reinstalled Publisher 2000. Since doing this I cannot insert a picture other than clipart, ie. I can't insert a picture from my files or internet. I get a message saying Pub doesn't recognise the format or there was an error loading a graphic converter. Some of the graphics converters may be missing. Run setup again. Well I've tried the 'repair' from setup again but still no joy. Can anybody help? I'm not too good with these problems so can you keep it simple for me? -- Ruth The graph...

Having problem Installing Exchange Router
When Installing I keep getting this error: Setup was unable to install the Microsoft CRM-Exchange E-Mail Router. This installation is forbidden by system policy. Contact your system administrator (80070659) I log on as adiminstrator account with local and domain access. I have tried reinstalling Windows installer and Script Host. Please help Make sure the user you are using to install is the same CRM admin user name you used to Install the MS CRM. I hope this works. "Thomas" wrote: > When Installing I keep getting this error: > Setup was unable to install the Mic...

Meeting/Appointment file and/or text incluede
Hi folks, is it possible to include text and/or attachment for the organisation in Meetings and Appointments when the staff is scheduling apointments/meetings? Thanks in advanced. - Bjarni ...

Access 2003 and Access 2007 Synchronization

Cant open Exchange System Manager and backups are failing
I'm running SBS 2003 with exchange. Everything has been running great up until a few days ago. All of the sudden veritas backupexec started failing with the log saying it is unable to attach to exchange, and I am now unable to open exchange system manager. When I try to open system manager it immediatly throws an erorr dialog "Exchange System Manager has encountered a problem and needs to close". I've tried resetting the server. I've tried removing the exchange system manager component and reinstalling it. When i do that I am able to run it once after install, but after t...

Open file dialog on Vista
I am adapting my apps for Vista. The apps need to run on all Win32/Win64 platforms, and are still in VC6, with the February 2003 PSDK. By writing my own version of CFileDialog (based on Paul DiLascia's code) I was able to obtain the file dialog with the places bar on W2K/XP, while showing the old file dialog on other platforms. But what do I need to do to get the new Vista open file dialog on Vista? As it is I am getting the XP one. David Wilkinson Hi David, I don't know a lot about that level of Vista yet (just used it as a user, haven't really ported to it yet), but...

Excel Row to Access Columns

Access

Moving contacts to Exchange 2000 Enterprise Server
Does anyone know an easy way to move my smtp addresses from CCmail 8.2 address book (about 400 of them) over to contacts in Active directory. I am running Windows 2000 Server and Exchange 2000 Enterprise Server. Cheers Crazy cc:Mail's export command with the /DIRECTORY switch can export them in an quasi - ldif format which could be massaged and used with ldifde to import. cc:Mail's Import/Export users guide will help on the export start with 237677 Using LDIFDE to import and export directory objects to Active Directory http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;...

access mail on WEB

access or mount mirrored hard disks

Exchange 5.5 article 224195
We have installed the latest patch and are still getting an error Rule: Server-Requested Client Action Error: MoveCopy, Unable to create dest msg I am having our property check to make sure the patch did not "fail". Any suggestions? ...

Extracting a ZIP file in Powershell
I have a function that I found that will extract the zip files in powershell I'm running this on a script on a remote machine that does not have powershell 2.0 function Extract-Zip { param([string]$zipfilename, [string] $destination) if(test-path($zipfilename)) { $shellApplication = new-object -com shell.application $zipPackage = $shellApplication.NameSpace($zipfilename) $destinationFolder = $shellApplication.NameSpace($destination) $destinationFolder.CopyHere($zipPackage.Items()) } } Example to use this function is: extract-zip c:\temp\test.zip D:\ I have a coupl...

CRM v4 Accessibility Improvements

Access Database In Great Plains

Upsizing Access to SQL Server 2000

Attach POP3 Mailboxes to an Exchange mailbox
Hi All, Is there a way where I can attach several pop3 email accounts to a users exchange mailbox? Thanks, Tarran Not without 3rd party products. Tarran wrote: > Hi All, > > Is there a way where I can attach several pop3 email accounts to a users > exchange mailbox? > > Thanks, > Tarran ...

.OFX Files
I am running Vista Home Premium 32 bit with Money 06 - Canadian Edition. My Bank sends its account data in ofx files. There is a conflict between Money 2006 and another programme. Both use ofx files. I did work out how to set the system up so that I can direct the ofx file to whatever programme I choose. However, when I take the saved ofx file and direct it to Money 2006, with Money open at the Bank Account, nothing happens. When I let it come up for the other programme, a screen appears giving me direction as to how to download it, etc. Having downloaded the material from my Bank, it ...

File Associations
Is there a way to install office 2007 without it changing my file associations? Thanks, Bob Which ones? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "k2nnj" <k2nnj@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OkF655BZKHA.4992@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to install office 2007 without it changing my file > associations? > > Thanks, > Bob ..do...

New to exchange #2
Hi, I have decided to start playing with exchange 2003. I have a network in the 192.168.1.0 subnet that has two servers in it both domain controllers and both running win2k server. I want to make some prevision for email to the users on the domain after I have upgraded both servers to 2003. I use a Linux firewall that also provides a DMZ . The DMZ is used to host a small web server and is on the 192.168.2.0 subnet, any request to port 80 is forwarded to the web servers IP address. What would be the best way to start playing with exchange ? Do I need a mail relay in the DMZ that push to t...

duplicate messages in exchange
Hi everybody Everytime I restart the server, the exchange server resends old e-mails , two months far, could you tell me why is this happening? I t only happens with accounts that work with PST files. ...