How long should it take an Information Store to start with no edb.chk

We've been having problems with our 5.5 server (20 hours in now)
Having performed a restore of an offline backup we started the
Information Store with no edb.chk.
I believe this will go through all the edb.log files and replay what
it needs to.  I have 26 log files  (so 130Mb) and the priv.edb is
around 31Gb in size.  The information store has been starting up now
for over 5 hours.  There seems to be activity the service control
"clock" is spinning.  No errors in the Event logs whilst this happens.
I read in article KB 200941 How the Restore in Progress Registry Key
works that if the checkpoint file (edb.chk) is missing the server can
determine which transactions have been applied but that startup will
merely take more time.
But how much more time?

Each log will take from 1 to 5 minutes to replay, and for each replayed
log you will get an appropriate event in App Event log. Do you get
those? What is the CPU usage? Do you see disk activity?

--
Help fight spam - designate sending servers for your domain.
http://spf.pobox.com

0
kpalagin5422 (293)
6/12/2004 5:18:06 AM
Thanks for the response.
On this occasion we were not getting a 109 event in the event log.

When we had done this earlier when we had a edb.chk file present we
were getting 109 event messages every few minutes for each log file.
After all these had played in we got the following messages.
Event ID:	1081   Unable to recover the database because error
0xc8000212 occurred after a restore operation.

Event ID:	5000   Unable to initialize the Microsoft Exchange
Information Store service. Error 0xc8000212.

System Event ID:	7024   The Microsoft Exchange Information Store
service terminated with service-specific error 3355443730.

We have since performed another restore of the Information store from
an online backup.  (the restore is offline however as we did not start
the information store before restoring).  Before the restore we
cleared out the mdbdta folder and have attempted to start the
Information service, having checked we have no edb.chk file.  We are
seeing the same behavior - service control "clock" going round.  no
error messages.  We have disk activity,

CPU is less than 10%.  Have looked at the processes.  Store.exe is
running but it's CPU is 0% and CPU time is 00:00.

"Kirill S. Palagin" <kpalagin@pleaseno.mail.phxint.ru> wrote in message news:<OKkH4yDUEHA.1260@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
> Each log will take from 1 to 5 minutes to replay, and for each replayed
> log you will get an appropriate event in App Event log. Do you get
> those? What is the CPU usage? Do you see disk activity?
>
> Ian Edwards wrote:
>
> > We've been having problems with our 5.5 server (20 hours in now)
> > Having performed a restore of an offline backup we started the
> > Information Store with no edb.chk.
> > I believe this will go through all the edb.log files and replay what
> > it needs to.  I have 26 log files  (so 130Mb) and the priv.edb is
> > around 31Gb in size.  The information store has been starting up now
> > for over 5 hours.  There seems to be activity the service control
> > "clock" is spinning.  No errors in the Event logs whilst this happens.
> > I read in article KB 200941 How the Restore in Progress Registry Key
> > works that if the checkpoint file (edb.chk) is missing the server can
> > determine which transactions have been applied but that startup will
> > merely take more time.
> > But how much more time?
"one of the most common error codes that may be displayed after you
restore an online backup is 3355443730 (decimal) or 0xc8000212
(hexadecimal). During an ordinary startup of the database, this same
error is reported as 4294966766 or 0xfffffdee. All of these error
numbers correspond to -530 (JET_errBadLogSignature)."
Which hints to damaged log file. Use
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823167
to diagnose each log file (including edb.log).
Then follow
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812592
to properly manipulate files in MDBDATA.

If all above fails you can/should involve MS PSS.

--
Help fight spam - designate sending servers for your domain.
http://spf.pobox.com

0
kpalagin5422 (293)
6/12/2004 5:44:32 PM
The second doc makes sense and is relevant.  However the first do you
suggest is for Exchange 2003.  We are on 5.5

"Kirill S. Palagin" <kpalagin@pleaseno.mail.phxint.ru> wrote in message news:<#ZcG#TKUEHA.3988@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
> "one of the most common error codes that may be displayed after you
> restore an online backup is 3355443730 (decimal) or 0xc8000212
> (hexadecimal). During an ordinary startup of the database, this same
> error is reported as 4294966766 or 0xfffffdee. All of these error
> numbers correspond to -530 (JET_errBadLogSignature)."
> Which hints to damaged log file. Use
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823167
> to diagnose each log file (including edb.log).
> Then follow
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812592
> to properly manipulate files in MDBDATA.
>
> If all above fails you can/should involve MS PSS.
>
> Ian Edwards wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the response.
> > On this occasion we were not getting a 109 event in the event log.
> >
> > When we had done this earlier when we had a edb.chk file present we
> > were getting 109 event messages every few minutes for each log file.
> > After all these had played in we got the following messages.
> > Event ID:	1081   Unable to recover the database because error
> > 0xc8000212 occurred after a restore operation.
> >
> > Event ID:	5000   Unable to initialize the Microsoft Exchange
> > Information Store service. Error 0xc8000212.
> >
> > System Event ID:	7024   The Microsoft Exchange Information Store
> > service terminated with service-specific error 3355443730.
> >
> > We have since performed another restore of the Information store from
> > an online backup.  (the restore is offline however as we did not start
> > the information store before restoring).  Before the restore we
> > cleared out the mdbdta folder and have attempted to start the
> > Information service, having checked we have no edb.chk file.  We are
> > seeing the same behavior - service control "clock" going round.  no
> > error messages.  We have disk activity,
> >
> > CPU is less than 10%.  Have looked at the processes.  Store.exe is
> > running but it's CPU is 0% and CPU time is 00:00.
> >

> > "Kirill S. Palagin" <kpalagin@pleaseno.mail.phxint.ru> wrote in message news:<OKkH4yDUEHA.1260@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
> >
> >>Each log will take from 1 to 5 minutes to replay, and for each replayed
> >>log you will get an appropriate event in App Event log. Do you get
> >>those? What is the CPU usage? Do you see disk activity?

My bad
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;253325

--
Help fight spam - designate sending servers for your domain.
http://spf.pobox.com

0
kpalagin5422 (293)

Increasing logging information for IMC
After I increased the log size for the IMC in Exchange 5.5 I had repeated problems with the servce becoming inconsistent. I reverted back the settings but still IMC crashed every few days. Is it possible these events to be related or I should look in some other causes. Thank you ...

error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "long __cdecl _com_dispatch_method(struct IDispatch *,long,unsigned short,unsigned short,void *,wchar_t const *,...)" (?_com_dispatch_method@@YAJPAUIDispatch@
Hi, I have installed Visual Studio Express 2005, and the platform SDK. I'm trying to compile, but get this linker error. The only reference I found on the web was a post of this person describing the possible cause: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/ng/microsoft.public.platformsdk.sdk_install/post20679802.asp Any clues, hints.. ? Leo Well, since you didn't bother to put the error message in the body of the text, it is a bit hard to read. Please do not put content in the headers. I only see the first segment of the header in my reader. A header that contains interesting informatio...

Bank Deposit Posting is taking forever
We are trying to get caught up on creating our bank deposits, unfortunately, we are several months behind on doing this, and as such we have around 300,000 un-deposited checks. If we go in and create a deposit with only a few transactions, it takes well over an hour to post that deposit. Profiling the query, it appears that it goes through and runs Stored Procedure zDP_CM20300N_1 on everyone of those 300,000 transactions. Should it take this long, or is there something I am missing? Is there any options that we have to speed up this process? Is there a way to change a stored pro...

Milo: What is microsoft.windowslive.translator.btn? Name too long
In "C:\Documents and Settings\[myname]\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live\Toolbar\Custom Buttons", there is a folder called microsoft.windowslive.translator.btn that is causing me to have trouble backing up my computer. I'm being told that that path or folder name is too long. At first I thought it was the path, but trying to copy microsoft.windowslive.translator.btn DIRECTLY into the MyDocuments folder caused the same error, so now I'm pretty sure that it’s the 36 characters in that folder name that is the problem. Sure enough, when I renamed a copy...

Where to store an applications settings file in Windows 7 / Vista
My application uses a xml settings file which can be changed from within the application by the user. Now, under Windows 7 and Vista, I don't know where to store this file. It is not possible to store it under Program Files\... due to missing write access of non-administrators What is the right place to store such files? Thanks, Thomas On 25 jun, 12:50, milonass <milon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > My application uses a xml settings file which can be changed from within the > application by the user. Now, under Windows 7 and Vista, I don't know where...

Long Filename Hunter
hello, is the anyone know of a program/freeware that can search the disk for files with "long" file names? it is laborious to drill down dozens of folders and hundreds/thousands of subfolders hunting down down long file names. for example I found a couple of tiles with filenames as long as a sentence, obviously using all the amount allotted for naming a file. thanks... ~db -- db���`�...�><)))�> DatabaseBen, Retired Professional - Systems Analyst - Database Developer - Accountancy - Veteran of the Armed Forces - Microsoft Partner...

The information store could not be
Windows XP & Outlook 2002 Worked fine until I installed remote computing software that uses Outlook to get my work email into Outlook using Microsoft Exchange Server. Now, when I try to SEND/RECEIVE (when not connected to my corporate network), I get "The information store could not be opened." Can someone please tell me exactly what I need to do to get access to my non-work email accounts now?! Thanks - Neil "Neil McCauley" <flipsidetothatcoin@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:06a101c34cd4$3c08e720$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Windows XP & Outlook 2002...

Start Dialog MFC app minimized
How to do that an aplication dialog-based start minimized.? I created an icon in systemtray, and work fine. The idea is when click on systemtray icon, open application. Gonzalo... You should actually hide the dialog in the OnInitDialog this->ShowWindow(SW_HIDE); "Gonzalo Chac�n" <gonzalo.chacon@teletrol.com.ve> wrote in message news:eoSd1KCaDHA.440@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > How to do that an aplication dialog-based start minimized.? > I created an icon in systemtray, and work fine. > The idea is when click on systemtray icon, open application. > > Gonzalo...

Store Exchange mail on sever?
Hi Im new with exchange, but have successfully got it receiving my company mail and the users can collect it OK through both Outlook and the web interface. However, a few issues that have arisen: 1. I want to store all mail on the server. Outlook insists on mail being stored in the PST file that already exists which is not what i want - how can this be achieved? 2. Users who work from home and do not want to use the web interface, collect their mail by establishing a VPN connection to the office first. However, they report that upon connecting to the VPN they cannot access webpages o...

Information store crashes due to IMC??
I'm running EX5.5SP4 on Win2kSP4 My information store keeps crashing with the exact same event ID's as listed in KB article 278320. Yet the fix listed in the article is SP4 for Exchange?? I even reinstalled SP4 early last week & it's still crashing every third day or so. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Patrick Ford Start by applying post-SP4 hot-fixes. If it continues to crash - call MS PSS and ask for help. KC2NC wrote: > I'm running EX5.5SP4 on Win2kSP4 > My information store keeps crashing with the exact same event ID's as listed > in KB article...

Grocery Store with Deli Counter
Is RMS able to handle barcodes printed from a scale(ie Deli meats) of items that are weighed? If so what type of scale/barcode should I use? Is there anything special that needs to be setup in RMS to be able to do this? Thanks Rob We are a grocery store with a deli dept. Yes RMS can handle barcodes printed from a scale, we are using Random weight UPC codes printed from our Hobart Quantum scales. You can use "random weight EAN codes" or "random weight UPC codes" the code you use will depend on your scales capabilities and your needs in terms of max total dollars...

Replace Cell Address in A Long Formula
From time to time, I need to do some change in some very long formula. For example: =TRIM(IF(ISERROR(FIND(" ",B46,FIND(" ",B46,1)+2)),MID(B46,FIND(" ",B46,1)+1,LEN(B46)),MID(B46,FIND(" ",B46,FIND(" ",B46)+2),LEN(B46)))) I want to replace all the "B46" with "F18". Is there a easier way? Thanks. One quick and dirty way is to Edit>Replace B46 with F18. HTH Anders Silven "plumstone" <plumstone@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet news:29A2448B-1055-4847-9779-EA0FDDA5C05D@microsoft.com... > From...

multiple business cards on same page with logo and information ch. #2
looking for info on how to make myself some price cards, they are the same size as a business card with logos and information change. How can I have my publisher show me a full page of same business cards(multiple) that I just edit and change price and iten information? Thanks I have spent way to many hours trying to figure this one out. Mail merge the data but the print preview will NOT show you 30 different cards. It will only show one. (Hint: Make sure you print on plain paper before printing on card stock.) -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "fayzer" <fayzer...

Long Long Long Nested If Function
Hello, I need some help on a very long nested if formula. Or at least thats the type that I have been trying to use to get the calculations on my spreadsheet. I have this formula which is working for me but it is only one of the 5 variables I need to include in it. 1) =IF(B5="cdy",IF(P23=20,1625,(IF(P23=40,1875,2200)))) to this formula I need to add =IF(B5="nwr",IF(P23=20,850,(IF(P23=40,935,1260)))) =IF(B5="lsp",IF(P23=20,1125,(IF(P23=40,1225,1550)))) =IF(B5="mtrl",IF(P23=20,1035,(IF(P23=40,1150,1500)))) =IF(B5="trto",IF(P...

Unable to open the Free/Busy Information
I just applied the DST and CDO update to my Exchange 2003 SP2 Server, have not run the Exchange Cal update tool. When a user try to view an appointment in a calendar for a conference room he gets an error message; client is using Outlook 2003, "Can't open this item, unable to open the free/busy information", what is the cause and fix for this. When I login with our admin account using the admin outlook profile which has full access to this calendar I can open the appointments without any problems. Not have any issues with any other Calendar. ...

Storing objects in Session variables
At http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20021016.asp I read that: "If you are using InProc mode, objects stored in session state are actually live objects, and so you can store whatever object you have created." This wasn't true in classic ASP; is it true in ASP.NET? What issue are you referring to ? It's bit hard to give a "yes" response without any context. For example being able to store a connection doesn't mean you should (and it has not changed in ASP.NET)... -- Patrice "Harlan Messinger" <h.usenetremoverthis@gavelcade....

Long Print Times w/ Publisher mail merge
I frequently have mail merge documents cretaed in Pub 2007. They work great, but it takes forever publisher to release/spool these documents to the printer, and for the documents to print. I think I understand why this happens, what I am after is a way to print faster. Does anyone have any tricks to reduce the file size that is sent to the printer? Surely there must be a way around this, a way to print these mail merges faster. Anyone? Do you have a lot of images? Gradients? Is your printer driver current? Have you looked at the printer settings? Can you change the spooler settings, do...

how long does outlook 2003 save sent items?
i just looked today and all of my sent items from the past 4 years are GONE!!! i do not use archiving, and i have checked my old archive folder for them, they are not there. any help would be much appreciated - r gatestoo <gatestoo@hotmail.com> wrote: > i just looked today and all of my sent items from the past 4 years are > GONE!!! Then you deleted them somehow or are hiding them with a view filter because Outlook doesn't delete anything automatically, unless you've instructed it to do so. -- Brian Tillman ...

long, LONG anf LPARAM
Hi Guys, A very Basic Question.Can anyone tell me whats exactly the difference between long, LONG and LPARAM in windows.If they all are same then what was the need to having 3 different names.any idea..?? thanks and regards, Sada "sada" <sadashiv.borkar@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi Guys, > A very Basic Question.Can anyone tell me whats exactly the >difference between > long, LONG and LPARAM in windows.If they all are same then >what was the need to having 3 different names.any idea..?? "long" is a primitive type in C++. Windo...

Exchange Settings don't take effect
Hello, I have an exchange 2003 running on Windows 2003. Everything was working fine until I noticed that changes made via the exchange systems management console do not take effect. Examples would SMTP settings, connectors, etc... I validated that using Metabase editor 2.2 tool. I tried to fix it by removing the DS2MB key from LM key and restating the systems attendant and also rebooting the server. I now resort to making changes to the Exchange server via the Metabase editor 2.2 tool!!! Using exchange systems management console is pointless. Please help!! Thank you in advance! Jake ...

How long is too long for a post in this forum?
I tried to send the text of an error window that popped up in Excel, along with some specific questions. I learned that one is not allowed to insert a JPG, so I attached a couple. Then I got the too long message. I trimmed up the body of the message and removed one JPG attachment and tried again. This time, the system gave me a similar too long message and deleted my outboxed message. Each JPG file was only 60KB in size So how long is too long, and how can we tell in advance of the system deleting the whole message? Please do NOT attach anything to posts here. You will NOT make ...

Information Store Corrupted #2
One of my exchange 2003 servers has a corrupt information store, it seems to have been corrupted after running a defrag on it. It is the first information store (this Exchange Server has a total of 3 information stores)The defrag completed successfully however it failed the integerity check and the back ups fail as well. I have run the isinteg tool in -fix mode, but it appears to have fixed nothing. I have a good back up of the information store before the defrag and a mailbox back up from last night. Luckliy there only a hand full of user mailboxes in the store and then of course ...

http://LongPathTool.com - Path Too Long/Deep fix These are some of the other error messages that you could encounter while using Windows: Cannot delete file
http://LongPathTool.com - Path Too Long/Deep fix These are some of the other error messages that you could encounter while using Windows: Cannot delete file - Access denied The destination or source file might be in use There is been a sharing violation The file is being used by another user or program Cannot delete folder or file. The file name specified is too long or not valid. Error Deleting folder or file There is no doubt that you have come across other error messages because these are just a few of them. But, you should know that whenever you try to move, rename or delete a file or fo...

Duplicate System Mailbox in one Meassage Store
Hello, the ESM shows at one Exchange 2003 database the same system mailbox object two times. - GUID and Folder name are the same, but the logon/logoff-times are different. - The logon/logoff-time of one system mailbox is the installation date (first start of the IS) and never changes. - The system mailbox account-object in AD Users and Computers is listed one time only. - The cleanup agent dosen't mark one of this mailboxes for deletion. I dosen't observe some side effects or warnings in the event log last three months. I think both mailboxes are referenced to one account. What can...

Steps to start over
If my data is hopelessly screwed up, is there a way to start completely fresh? Would it be uninstall/install? I don't know how to re-install, since I installed from a Trial copy off the web and then paid for the upgrade. There is a webinst.exe file in the money account, but I don't know what it does and am afraid of losing my money. (The cash I paid... not the application.) I tried deleting the account and re-entering. That didn't help. I restored from backup, but the backups don't go back far enough to precede my problem. In microsoft.public.money, Laurel wrot...