How do I setup GC Proxy on Exchange 2003?

A good friend of mine who is MCSE cert along with having his ISA 2004 cert
(says there are only 7 people in Canada who have ISA 2004 cert) suggested
that I setup MAPI for my clients but that I need to do the leg on the
Exchange side of it and he'll be happy to do the ISA 2004 setup for me.

Apparently from what I gather from him is that under ISA 2004 you don't need
to go through hassle of installing SSL and RDC/HTTP on the Exchange box like
you do when setting up MAPI clients under ISA 2000.

Anyhow, were I am currently stuck is I have not been able to find any info
on how to setup GC Proxy on our Exchange box anywhere on Google or
Microsoft's site, I am wondering if someone could kindly point me in the
proper direction.

Thanks
Andrew

0
andrew8774 (16)

Chat with your friend about setting up RPC over HTTPs if you have Exchange
2003 and Active Directory 2003.  ISA is a pretty slick product when it comes
to how it "proxys" SSL from what I have heard from one of the folks in the
states.  It also cuts out the need to run MAPI and the associated pieces
over the Internet.

Bob
"Andrew" <andrew@dont.spam.leathalproductions.com> wrote in message
> A good friend of mine who is MCSE cert along with having his ISA 2004 cert
> (says there are only 7 people in Canada who have ISA 2004 cert) suggested
> that I setup MAPI for my clients but that I need to do the leg on the
> Exchange side of it and he'll be happy to do the ISA 2004 setup for me.
>
> Apparently from what I gather from him is that under ISA 2004 you don't
need
> to go through hassle of installing SSL and RDC/HTTP on the Exchange box
like
> you do when setting up MAPI clients under ISA 2000.
>
> Anyhow, were I am currently stuck is I have not been able to find any info
> on how to setup GC Proxy on our Exchange box anywhere on Google or
> Microsoft's site, I am wondering if someone could kindly point me in the
> proper direction.
>
> Thanks
> Andrew

0
BobChristian (293)
11/7/2004 6:15:27 AM
Hey Bob,

Under ISA 2004 I am told all that needs to be done is to get the Exchange
box to use the Global Catalog proxy calls on behalf of the MAPI. There is no
longer any need to install RPC/HTTP and SSL because of how ISA 2004 works.
Basically MS re-developed ISA from scratch; people who learn ISA 2000 inside
and out have to throw away their knowledge of it becaues none of it applies
to ISA 2004. So I am told.

Anyhow I am stuck on the part of getting the Global Catalog proxy to work in
Exchange.

Andrew

"Bob Christian" <BobChristian@removethis.gmail.com> wrote in message
> Chat with your friend about setting up RPC over HTTPs if you have Exchange
> 2003 and Active Directory 2003.  ISA is a pretty slick product when it
> comes
> to how it "proxys" SSL from what I have heard from one of the folks in the
> states.  It also cuts out the need to run MAPI and the associated pieces
> over the Internet.
>
> Bob
> "Andrew" <andrew@dont.spam.leathalproductions.com> wrote in message
>> A good friend of mine who is MCSE cert along with having his ISA 2004
>> cert
>> (says there are only 7 people in Canada who have ISA 2004 cert) suggested
>> that I setup MAPI for my clients but that I need to do the leg on the
>> Exchange side of it and he'll be happy to do the ISA 2004 setup for me.
>>
>> Apparently from what I gather from him is that under ISA 2004 you don't
> need
>> to go through hassle of installing SSL and RDC/HTTP on the Exchange box
> like
>> you do when setting up MAPI clients under ISA 2000.
>>
>> Anyhow, were I am currently stuck is I have not been able to find any
>> info
>> on how to setup GC Proxy on our Exchange box anywhere on Google or
>> Microsoft's site, I am wondering if someone could kindly point me in the
>> proper direction.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Andrew

0
andrew8774 (16)

Exchange SSL Server Certificate
Hey all; We just set up a new ex2k3 server after demoting/removing the old one. Currently we are functional on email but we are having issues with the offline address list and free/busy. It looks like the offline address book, etc. just need to be remounted/rebuilt but when we go to Administration Group -> First Administrative Group -> Folders -> Public Folders we get an error of "The SSL Certificate name is incorrect" ID no: c103b404. Can't find much online on this. Any ideas? See http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324345 Jeff Guillet, MCSE "Jon(CitationSoft)&qu...

The best Exchange setup in a small hosting setup
I need to set up at small hosting setup where the users can access their email through RPC-HTTPS and webmail. But what do I need? One ISA server? One front-end server? One back-end server? Some clustering or is it overkill? Best Regards Martin - You can do it with as little as a single Exchange server and a firewall. - In a single server environment, FE/BE topology doesn't really buy you much... - Clustering can be an overkill or not, depending on what your goals are. If high-availability is a valued goal, you could look at clustering (and the investments that go with a clustered ...

Page Setup
Hi, I have a problem with Excel XP in that when I preview a page which is in Landscape, it automatically displays as portrait. When I resize it, it goes back to landscape but then back to portarit again ! Any ideas ? Many thanks. Colin. If you change printer drivers, does it happen? If no, then I'd download a newer/fresh printer driver for that troublesome printer. Any chance you have some helpful macro jumping in to fix the page setup for you? If you open the workbook with macros disabled, does it still happen? Colin wrote: > > Hi, > > I have a problem with Excel X...

all iisadmin/exchange services keep restarting
Our exchange server has some very big issues today. All IIS Admin and Exchange services (this does not include the IS...it stays running) continue to fail and restart every few minutes. I thought it might be code red II, but after doing a virus scan I came up with nothing. Any other ideas? Here is my server config: Windows 2000 server SP4. Exchange 2000 ENT SP3 with all rollups. ALL hotfixes applied. Group Shield 5.2. GFI ME 9.0. 2 XEON's. 1 GB ram. 200 gb for Stores. 201 Mailboxes. This can happen if some plugin installed on your Exchange is causing a memory exception, which term...

Exchange Distribution Groups
I have a real stupid question. I just builded an Exchange 2003 server and populated it with user accounts and created mailboxes, how do I create a allusers group that everyone could send e-mail to. And also I want that everytime a new user is created it falls under this alluser distrbution group. I kind of have an idea how to create it in Ad but not sure what the correct process is. Thanks Amador You can either use query-based DLs or just create an "All Users" group, add the existing accounts to it, and then when you want to create a new user, copy an existing user. Amador Gome...

Remove BCC from Outlook 2003?
Is there a way to remove or hide the BCC option from Outlook? Been directed to do this by management but can't find a way to do this looking online. No.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx =20 "The Other Mike" <Noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message = news:sd3g031cor116rgkqp06tltlo54g5vq1mj@4ax.com... > Is there a way to remo...

excel page setup
Hello, I have a spreadsheet and I am using cells a:k50, but when I go to see the end of my spreadsheet it tells me I have used cells a:ak 295. I have 35 sheets like this and is is making the file bigger than it has to be. I have tried deleting, clear, page preview setup but nothing seems to clear and make my page a1: k53. Any suggestions. Thank You Select the row following the end of your data. Ctrl+Shift+Down Arrow to select all rows beyond your data and Edit>Delete. Select the column following the end of your data. Ctrl+Shift+Right Arrow (US) to select all columns beyond your data...

Account setup is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.
I just upgraded to money '05 because my bank no longer allows acess using money '02. I have been getting this message for TWO WEEKS now. I set up three accounts with no problem, then this message over and over every day. I have tried starting a new account and I still get the same message. Surely MS's server has not been down this whole time, so I guess the problem is on my end. Please Help! In microsoft.public.money, lostmymirth wrote: >I just upgraded to money '05 because my bank no longer allows acess using >money '02. I have been getting this message for T...

Visio 2003 #6
Hello folks, I am trying to link data in an Excel (2003) spreadsheet to a Visio 2003 (SP3) drawing and have spent hours with no luck. Each time I try to complete the "Link to Database" Wizard I click "Ok" and nothing happens, the database wizard just sits there and never completes. I also have an issue where a window keeps popping up saying the Database file is ready for editing and when I click Read/Write an Empty and broken Excel screen pops up showing nothing. It seems my Visio is badly bugged up, I have tried the File->Print->Cancel trick I found in the f...

2003 vs 2007 Maximum Resource units
If I open a resource-loaded project created in MSP 2003 in MSP 2007 and change the Maximum Units in the Resource Usage view to a non-integer value, the number rounds to the nearest integer on the screen. If I save the file as a 2003 project and open it in 2003, the non-integer values are there. If I save the project as a 2007 project and reopen it in 2007, the non-integer values are there. But they always show as integers in 2003 projects opened in 2007. I'm using SP3 of 2003 Pro and SP2 of 2007 Pro. Can someone confirm this for me? Does anyone know if this is a known bug/...

Exchange Services not running in cluster?
I have a 2-node Active/Passive cluster running Exchange 2003 Enterprise. Our A/C failed yesterday in our server room and it got really hot. One of my Exchange 2003 servers (call it excluster1) went down and shut off. Failover to passive server (excluster2) went fine. After things cooled down I brought excluster1 back up and move all groups to it (that is where they were all running prior to shutdown). Soon after this happened, I restarted excluster2 and some of the Exchange services didn't start or shutdown. They following services are stopped: (Note: These are in manual mode but they...

I need the template wizard with data tracking in excel 2003,help!
Can anyone tell me how to get the template wizard with data tracking from excel 2002 into excel 2003... When I downloaded the file it installs but is no where to be found... I have searched for *.xla (template extention) and it does not appear anywhere... Please HELP... -- Thanks DT Hi The Add-in is working in 2003 only the install file is not working. Copy the xla file from a PC with 2002 to the PC with 2003 and it will work(use Tools>add-ins to browse to the file in Excel) If you don't have a PC with 2002 then mail me private and then i send you the xla file -- Regards Ron...

[ANN] The Entourage Help Blog: "Updated Exchange setup script supports Entourage 2008"
I've posted version 2.0 of my EntourageExchangeSetup AppleScript on The Entourage Help Page that includes support for Microsoft Entourage 2008's Kerberos feature as well as some minor additions and bug fixes. This AppleScript is intended to be modified by an administrator to assist his Entourage users with the setups of their Exchange server accounts. It has been tested specifically with Entourage 2004 11.2.6, 11.3.3, 11.3.7 and Entourage 12.00, 12.0.1 and 12.1.0 but should work with any version of Entourage 2004 SP2 (11.2.0) and higher. Every company's network is different...

Default email address when using both exchange & pop3 email
I've tried searching for my answer but I apologise if this question is a duplicate of one I haven't found. Originally Outlook was set up to use Exchange and then several pop3 email accounts were created. I've just added another pop3 account which I would like to be the default account. At home I just go to Tools, Accounts, etc to select the default but at work there is no Accounts option on the Tools menu (only Services, Customise, Options). Please could someone tell me how to set the default email account in this situation. Thanks in advance Helen "Helen Rybus"...

Is it possible to use logon name as a variable in exchange 2007 email address creation?
We have an organisatgion that has upgraded from 2003 to 2007 in 2003 the email address policy was based on logon name (or pre windows 2000 logon name to be precisie), e,g for user "John Doe" the logon might be "JohnD" Email addresses were generated using the logon name. Is that possible in exchange 2007? regards Frank Frank formulated the question : > We have an organisatgion that has upgraded from 2003 to 2007 > in 2003 the email address policy was based on logon name (or pre windows 2000 > logon name to be precisie), e,g for user &...

Outlook 2000 .PST Import to Exchange 2003 Mailbox
We are currently rolling out Exchange Server 2003, but having imported a user's .PST from Outlook 2000 to his new Mailbox, some of the mail shows the message: "This item contains active content that cannot be displayed in the preview pane. Open the item to read its contents". When we try to open it the following message appears: "Cannot open this item. Could not complete the operation because the service provider does not support it". Any help in resolving this issue will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Do you import on Exchange or do you import from within Ou...

duplicate mailboxes in Exchange
I had an install of SBS 2003 get corrupted. I reinstalled and tried to restore my exchange db. I ended up getting a current mailbox and the old mailbox in the store. I don't want to lose current mail, nor the old stuff. I get errors when I try to match in Recovery Console. Any suggestions? How many users/mailboxes are affected? - Larry Please post the resolution to your issue so others may benefit - Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com > I had an install of SBS 2003 get corrupted. I reinstalled and tried to > restore my exchange db. I ended up getting...

Additional Exchange Email Domain
Running SBS 2003 w/Exchange. I have added another email address domain to my recipient policy and have told our hosting service to update the MX record to our server. Is this all I have to do to host email for another domain? I am getting bounce back messages saying our server can't relay messages? Why would it relay? Thanks! Is "This Exchange Organization is responsible for all mail delivery to this address." checked under the new domain in the recipient policy? You will also need to have the domain checked under Generation rules in the recipient policy properties. Wi...

SETUP
HOW DO I SET IT UP. Windows Mail: Setting up an account from start to finish http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Windows-Mail-setting-up-an-account-from-start-to-finish -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "home" <phillipsjamest@att.net> wrote in message news:u1ikLZSALHA.980@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > HOW DO I SET IT UP. "home" <phillipsjamest@att.net> wrote in message news:u1ikLZSALHA.980@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > HOW DO I SET IT UP. Start here and look for mail settings. ht...

Opening 2003 files with 2000
I am trying to open MS Publisher 2003 files with MS Publisher 2000 for editing the 2003 files with 2000. I am running MS Windows 98 SE. Is there way to do it? You've got two choices. Have the originator save the file as a 2000 file or it's time to buy the upgrade to 2003. -- Don -------- Vancouver, USA - One of the great cities in one of the 45+ countries in the Americas! "Marty" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11af101c3f629$27db4780$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I am trying to open MS Publisher 2003 files with MS > Publisher 2000 for ...

exchange admin on XP
I am running Exchange 5.5 and need to install the admin software on an XP machine but get an error message from the exchange server disk... Really? What does it say? -- Martin Blackstone MVP - Exchange http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxc.htm "tom" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7a0301c4313e$769b9e60$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I am running Exchange 5.5 and need to install the admin > software on an XP machine but get an error message from > the exchange server disk... You must add yours...

Anonymous Access setup
I have a request to turn on anonymous access (MOSS 2007). We only have one Site collection and it’s an Intranet that uses Authentication Type; Windows and Integrated Windows Authentication. It seems straight forward first Enable IIS Anonymous Authentication, second Enable anonymous access for the Web Application needed, turn on anonymous access for list or site. Question: If I turn on anonymous access without enabling it on any sites or lists will my users notice anything different? I assume they will not notice anything. Next question; if I enable anonymous authentication on...

Exchange problem:
I have create a new user account, and enable exchange mail feature, but find that the mailbox haven't create and cannot lookup the user name at global address list, what's the problem?? Can someone help me. Many thanks check if you are using off line address book. if yes, rebuild the address book and update outlook. Dick Lee wrote: > I have create a new user account, and enable exchange mail feature, but find > that the mailbox haven't create and cannot lookup the user name at global > address list, what's the problem?? > > Can someone help me. > > ...

Exchange 2003 OWA
I know that OWA, although much improved from previouse versions, is still a "skimmed" down version of MS Outlook 2003 with limited functionality. I am trying to locate a list of differences or limitations vs. full blown MS Outlook 2k3. Would anyone know where I can find something like this? Another quick question: When creating an email on Outlook 2k/2k3 and you close the email without sending it will give you an option to save the email and it will put it in the Draft folder. Can this also be done with OWA 2003? I have not seen this feature and everytime the email just get's de...

Profile Setup
When I enter the server name and mailbox name when setting up an Outlook 2003 profile, how does it lookup the name? It seems I can put any name in the server area as long as I have a valid mailbox name. I used a made up server name and it still resolved the mailbox. Thanks, Outlook 2003 uses the Global Catalog servers in an AD environment. (Exchange 200x refers Outlook 2000/2003 to the GCs.) Outside of that, I didn't think what you just did was possible since a new profile (o/s and outlook) shouldn't have a reference to a GC until checking in with Exchange. Guess Outlook ...