How do I setup an SMTP gateway / smart host for Exchange 5.5 internet bound mail #2

My current setup has a Windows NT 4.0 Exchange 5.5 server setting on our
company LAN behind a Microsoft ISA Server.  The Exchange server's Internet
Mail Connector binds to (I assume this is the proper terms) port 25 on the
ISA server for inbound and outbound Internet Mail.

Our company has finally upgraded to a new Cisco Pix Firewall which we are
able to setup a DMZ on.  The suggestion by our ISP is to setup an SMTP
gateway  in the DMZ and have our internal Exchange server send mail to it
destined for the Internet.

I am aware that most of the work for making the connections from the SMTP
Gateway box to our Exchange server (network related) will be done by our
ISP/Consultant, but how do I get my Exchange server to send it's Internet
bound mail to this new SMTP Gateway?

Once I get our ISP to change our MX record for all inbound mail to now go to
the new SMTP Gateway, how does this mail on the gateway then get to the
appropriate Exchange client mailboxes?  Am I required to setup a POP server
as will?

Note that I am currently in the process of configuring a Windows 2000 IIS
server for SMTP Relay.  Hopefully this will do the trick.

If anyone can help to point me in the right direction, it would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rob

0
rskinner (2)

"Rob Skinner" <rskinner@roadrunner.nf.net> wrote:

>My current setup has a Windows NT 4.0 Exchange 5.5 server setting on our
>company LAN behind a Microsoft ISA Server.  The Exchange server's Internet
>Mail Connector binds to (I assume this is the proper terms) port 25 on the
>ISA server for inbound and outbound Internet Mail.
>
>Our company has finally upgraded to a new Cisco Pix Firewall which we are
>able to setup a DMZ on.  The suggestion by our ISP is to setup an SMTP
>gateway  in the DMZ and have our internal Exchange server send mail to it
>destined for the Internet.
>
>I am aware that most of the work for making the connections from the SMTP
>Gateway box to our Exchange server (network related) will be done by our
>ISP/Consultant, but how do I get my Exchange server to send it's Internet
>bound mail to this new SMTP Gateway?

I don't have any more 5.5 servers so the instructions may be inexact,
but you need only change the selection from "Use DNS" to "Forward all
mail . . ." on the IMS "Connections" tab. Fill in the edit bx with the
name of the DMS server.

>Once I get our ISP to change our MX record for all inbound mail to now go to
>the new SMTP Gateway, how does this mail on the gateway then get to the
>appropriate Exchange client mailboxes?

You configure the gateway server to forward all mail for your domain
to your Exchange server.

>Am I required to setup a POP server
>as will?

Good Lord, no!

>Note that I am currently in the process of configuring a Windows 2000 IIS
>server for SMTP Relay.  Hopefully this will do the trick.

It certainly will. But so will a free copy of Linux or FreeBSD. :)

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Exchange 2003 "Send As" does not exist??
in exchange 2000 i could allow a group of users to "Send As" a different mailbox. The mail would come "From" the shared mailbox with no hint that a different person was behind the email. with exchange 2003 all i can seem to to is to allow "Send On Behalf" which is a security problem for my company because the mail comes "From" the person On Behalf of the shared mailbox. can someone please tell me that there is a way to fix this? This really has not changed from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003. You have to enable the Advanced View when using Act...

send and receive email for two smtp domains
Hi, can i do this send and receive email for two smtp domains for exchange 5,5 http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq_sec3.htm anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > Hi, can i do this send and receive email for two smtp > domains for exchange 5,5 ...

The best Exchange setup in a small hosting setup
I need to set up at small hosting setup where the users can access their email through RPC-HTTPS and webmail. But what do I need? One ISA server? One front-end server? One back-end server? Some clustering or is it overkill? Best Regards Martin - You can do it with as little as a single Exchange server and a firewall. - In a single server environment, FE/BE topology doesn't really buy you much... - Clustering can be an overkill or not, depending on what your goals are. If high-availability is a valued goal, you could look at clustering (and the investments that go with a clustered ...

Page Setup
Hi, I have a problem with Excel XP in that when I preview a page which is in Landscape, it automatically displays as portrait. When I resize it, it goes back to landscape but then back to portarit again ! Any ideas ? Many thanks. Colin. If you change printer drivers, does it happen? If no, then I'd download a newer/fresh printer driver for that troublesome printer. Any chance you have some helpful macro jumping in to fix the page setup for you? If you open the workbook with macros disabled, does it still happen? Colin wrote: > > Hi, > > I have a problem with Excel X...

Exchange SSL Server Certificate
Hey all; We just set up a new ex2k3 server after demoting/removing the old one. Currently we are functional on email but we are having issues with the offline address list and free/busy. It looks like the offline address book, etc. just need to be remounted/rebuilt but when we go to Administration Group -> First Administrative Group -> Folders -> Public Folders we get an error of "The SSL Certificate name is incorrect" ID no: c103b404. Can't find much online on this. Any ideas? See http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324345 Jeff Guillet, MCSE "Jon(CitationSoft)&qu...

Blocking EMails #2
I've begun to recieve emails without a "From" address. Outlook will not let me block these emails because of the missing address. Has anyone else had this problem? Try to contact abuse@msn.com with regards to this. This might be a new form of spam. >-----Original Message----- >I've begun to recieve emails without a "From" address. >Outlook will not let me block these emails because of the >missing address. Has anyone else had this problem? >. > You can alos view this page http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spam.asp There are ...

all iisadmin/exchange services keep restarting
Our exchange server has some very big issues today. All IIS Admin and Exchange services (this does not include the IS...it stays running) continue to fail and restart every few minutes. I thought it might be code red II, but after doing a virus scan I came up with nothing. Any other ideas? Here is my server config: Windows 2000 server SP4. Exchange 2000 ENT SP3 with all rollups. ALL hotfixes applied. Group Shield 5.2. GFI ME 9.0. 2 XEON's. 1 GB ram. 200 gb for Stores. 201 Mailboxes. This can happen if some plugin installed on your Exchange is causing a memory exception, which term...

Windows mail failing
Hi - 5/20 mid day I could no longer send email. Still can't; message reads 'Send 1 message using Plus.Pop.mail.yahoo.com...isn't that the wrong one; doesn't it need to be the smtp address? The outgoing mail setting reads correctly for the smtp address. If I go to Yahoo I can send an email but not in Windows. Help! That's not the complete error message. Right-click on your error message, copy, then paste it into a reply here Is your Yahoo account a paid one or a free one?=20 --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.sup...

NDr EXHANGE 5.5
seen some suggestion, like DL however I am getting multiples persecond of every name possible. this makes impossible to create a DL to flush these. I need a direct registry parm to turn off the NDR. where do I look? There is no way to prevent generation of NDR to the sender. You can disable generation of notifications to admin in IMC props\Internet mail\Notifications. BJ Freeman wrote: > seen some suggestion, like DL > however I am getting multiples persecond of every name possible. > this makes impossible to create a DL to flush these. > > I need a direct registry parm ...

AutoArchive mails
Can someone tell me why it is still remaining some mails in the inbox after run the autoarchive. I am using Outlook2003 SP2 to connect my imap email account. And I am also using Netscape Messenger7.2 to read my mail. I recongize that these mails didn't archive when i read mails in Messenger or via Webmail access. Does any have idea of it? Thanks... RM31 Perhaps Modified date has been changed? Archive works on Modified Date "RM31#" <itrm31@msn.com> wrote in message news:uyIAG2zaFHA.3364@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Can someone tell me why it is still remaining some ...

Exchange Distribution Groups
I have a real stupid question. I just builded an Exchange 2003 server and populated it with user accounts and created mailboxes, how do I create a allusers group that everyone could send e-mail to. And also I want that everytime a new user is created it falls under this alluser distrbution group. I kind of have an idea how to create it in Ad but not sure what the correct process is. Thanks Amador You can either use query-based DLs or just create an "All Users" group, add the existing accounts to it, and then when you want to create a new user, copy an existing user. Amador Gome...

CableCard
I just bought a Vaio VGX-XL3 and connected to my Plasma screen using HDMI. Somehow I can't get Dolby Digital, DTS or 5.1 to work through the HDMI connection. This only happens when I install the CableCard, which is needed to watch premium HD channels. Without the CableCard all Dolby Digital works fine through HDMI. Does anybody know the reason for that? I have a Motorla CableCard from Comcast and my TV has 2 HDMI inputs. The ohter HDMI input, connected to the set top box (not to the PC with the CableCard) DOES work fine with 5.1 Dolby Digital through HDMI. I know it sounds strange...

Message stuck in outbox #5
I have a large message stuck in the outbox that won't delete and won't send. How can it remove it from the outbox? ...

SOME mail with attachment is not delivered to mailbox
using exchange2003 ONLY from a particular 3rd party, all mail with attachments are not delivered to mailbox even though my exchange 2003 log says some communication has occured. I got them to cc the mail to my personal isp account and notice that when I forward the mail, the attachments are duplicated. (ie: you have a.pdf in 600kb as well as a.pdf in 2kb) I do not know why there are duplicate attachments, perhaps one is an errata caused by the mail server, nonetheless, when I forward this mail with the duplicate attachment to back to my exchange email address, the message is not deliv...

excel page setup
Hello, I have a spreadsheet and I am using cells a:k50, but when I go to see the end of my spreadsheet it tells me I have used cells a:ak 295. I have 35 sheets like this and is is making the file bigger than it has to be. I have tried deleting, clear, page preview setup but nothing seems to clear and make my page a1: k53. Any suggestions. Thank You Select the row following the end of your data. Ctrl+Shift+Down Arrow to select all rows beyond your data and Edit>Delete. Select the column following the end of your data. Ctrl+Shift+Right Arrow (US) to select all columns beyond your data...

[ANN] The Entourage Help Blog: "Updated Exchange setup script supports Entourage 2008"
I've posted version 2.0 of my EntourageExchangeSetup AppleScript on The Entourage Help Page that includes support for Microsoft Entourage 2008's Kerberos feature as well as some minor additions and bug fixes. This AppleScript is intended to be modified by an administrator to assist his Entourage users with the setups of their Exchange server accounts. It has been tested specifically with Entourage 2004 11.2.6, 11.3.3, 11.3.7 and Entourage 12.00, 12.0.1 and 12.1.0 but should work with any version of Entourage 2004 SP2 (11.2.0) and higher. Every company's network is different...

Is it possible to use logon name as a variable in exchange 2007 email address creation?
We have an organisatgion that has upgraded from 2003 to 2007 in 2003 the email address policy was based on logon name (or pre windows 2000 logon name to be precisie), e,g for user "John Doe" the logon might be "JohnD" Email addresses were generated using the logon name. Is that possible in exchange 2007? regards Frank Frank formulated the question : > We have an organisatgion that has upgraded from 2003 to 2007 > in 2003 the email address policy was based on logon name (or pre windows 2000 > logon name to be precisie), e,g for user &...

Default email address when using both exchange & pop3 email
I've tried searching for my answer but I apologise if this question is a duplicate of one I haven't found. Originally Outlook was set up to use Exchange and then several pop3 email accounts were created. I've just added another pop3 account which I would like to be the default account. At home I just go to Tools, Accounts, etc to select the default but at work there is no Accounts option on the Tools menu (only Services, Customise, Options). Please could someone tell me how to set the default email account in this situation. Thanks in advance Helen "Helen Rybus"...

Column headings #2
In Excel 2000 Can the Column Headings A, B, C, etc be changed No (except to 1,2,3,...). But you can enter and format cells as headers in row 1, then freeze it and finally hide the ABC stuff in Tools > Options. -- HTH. Best wishes Harald Excel MVP Followup to newsgroup only please. "Michelle" <SBC@SmithBarta.Com> wrote in message news:026b01c36bf2$dccbfe80$a101280a@phx.gbl... > In Excel 2000 Can the Column Headings A, B, C, etc be > changed ...

Outlook 2000 .PST Import to Exchange 2003 Mailbox
We are currently rolling out Exchange Server 2003, but having imported a user's .PST from Outlook 2000 to his new Mailbox, some of the mail shows the message: "This item contains active content that cannot be displayed in the preview pane. Open the item to read its contents". When we try to open it the following message appears: "Cannot open this item. Could not complete the operation because the service provider does not support it". Any help in resolving this issue will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Do you import on Exchange or do you import from within Ou...

duplicate mailboxes in Exchange
I had an install of SBS 2003 get corrupted. I reinstalled and tried to restore my exchange db. I ended up getting a current mailbox and the old mailbox in the store. I don't want to lose current mail, nor the old stuff. I get errors when I try to match in Recovery Console. Any suggestions? How many users/mailboxes are affected? - Larry Please post the resolution to your issue so others may benefit - Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com > I had an install of SBS 2003 get corrupted. I reinstalled and tried to > restore my exchange db. I ended up getting...

WArning message #2
I want to put an error warning in to a s/s. I have a formula with a cel AX=TX returning a true or false value, if the value is false, I wish t have an error message occur to alert the user that the values are no the same, either on occurrence or before saving ideally. Is this possible? If so how? Thank you -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I think I'd just change your formula. I'm gonna use A1 and B1 for my two cells: =if(a1=b1,"","Warning--values don't match!") Format in nice big red bold letters. Place it close to where the users input ...

Exchange Services not running in cluster?
I have a 2-node Active/Passive cluster running Exchange 2003 Enterprise. Our A/C failed yesterday in our server room and it got really hot. One of my Exchange 2003 servers (call it excluster1) went down and shut off. Failover to passive server (excluster2) went fine. After things cooled down I brought excluster1 back up and move all groups to it (that is where they were all running prior to shutdown). Soon after this happened, I restarted excluster2 and some of the Exchange services didn't start or shutdown. They following services are stopped: (Note: These are in manual mode but they...

Account setup is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.
I just upgraded to money '05 because my bank no longer allows acess using money '02. I have been getting this message for TWO WEEKS now. I set up three accounts with no problem, then this message over and over every day. I have tried starting a new account and I still get the same message. Surely MS's server has not been down this whole time, so I guess the problem is on my end. Please Help! In microsoft.public.money, lostmymirth wrote: >I just upgraded to money '05 because my bank no longer allows acess using >money '02. I have been getting this message for T...

Best POS/Inventory System for Grocery Stores #2
Hi All, I was wondering what in your opinioin is the best POS/Inventory system out there. And how does RMS rank up? Thank you My apologies for the identical messages! I was having connection problems and got errors after pressing the Send button. Obviously it got posted multiple times. "Tom Bombadil" <Genius_Poster@Yahoo.com> wrote in message news:219DB89A-D8E0-4926-8762-4B3107C0635B@microsoft.com... > Hi All, > > I was wondering what in your opinioin is the best POS/Inventory system out > there. And how does RMS rank up? > > Thank you This woul...