How do I setup a recovery server and do the recovery?

How do I setup he recovery server?

I have a spare 2003 server box, do I just put exchange server on to that and
restore the database file into the mdsdata directory and then run integrity
tools? Does it have to be the same organization or can it be a stand alone
server.

Thanks.

Are you trying to rebuild a server to get it back online?  Or are you trying
to restore a database to get some data out of it.  If you are trying to
restore a database, try restoring to a recovery storage group.  If you are
just doing test restorations or testing D/R procedures, you do NOT want to
put the recovery server in the same Active Directory forest.  You need to
build a new AD forest for the recovery server.  Take a look at the E2K3 D/R
Operations Guide.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/bb125070.aspx

--
Jim McBee
Blog - http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com

"Christopher C> Welber" <chriswelber@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> How do I setup he recovery server?
>

> I have a spare 2003 server box, do I just put exchange server on to that
> and restore the database file into the mdsdata directory and then run
> integrity tools? Does it have to be the same organization or can it be a
> stand alone
> server.
>

> Thanks.

0
jmcbee9404 (625)

The best Exchange setup in a small hosting setup
I need to set up at small hosting setup where the users can access their email through RPC-HTTPS and webmail. But what do I need? One ISA server? One front-end server? One back-end server? Some clustering or is it overkill? Best Regards Martin - You can do it with as little as a single Exchange server and a firewall. - In a single server environment, FE/BE topology doesn't really buy you much... - Clustering can be an overkill or not, depending on what your goals are. If high-availability is a valued goal, you could look at clustering (and the investments that go with a clustered ...

Page Setup
Hi, I have a problem with Excel XP in that when I preview a page which is in Landscape, it automatically displays as portrait. When I resize it, it goes back to landscape but then back to portarit again ! Any ideas ? Many thanks. Colin. If you change printer drivers, does it happen? If no, then I'd download a newer/fresh printer driver for that troublesome printer. Any chance you have some helpful macro jumping in to fix the page setup for you? If you open the workbook with macros disabled, does it still happen? Colin wrote: > > Hi, > > I have a problem with Excel X...

Exchange SSL Server Certificate
Hey all; We just set up a new ex2k3 server after demoting/removing the old one. Currently we are functional on email but we are having issues with the offline address list and free/busy. It looks like the offline address book, etc. just need to be remounted/rebuilt but when we go to Administration Group -> First Administrative Group -> Folders -> Public Folders we get an error of "The SSL Certificate name is incorrect" ID no: c103b404. Can't find much online on this. Any ideas? See http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324345 Jeff Guillet, MCSE "Jon(CitationSoft)&qu...

Management Studio
I have both a named instance of SQL Server 2008 and Express 2008 installed. When I try to connect with Management Studio, neither of those instances appears in the list of local servers. But I can see them in the list of network servers. In Local, I can see Integration Services only. Under the Network Servers tab, I see my server with the two database engines listed. In both cases, I have protocols Shared Memory, Named Pipes, and TCP/IP enabled, and VIA disabled. Is that the way it should be? I checked HideInstance in the Configuration Manager and it is set to No for both ins...

excel page setup
Hello, I have a spreadsheet and I am using cells a:k50, but when I go to see the end of my spreadsheet it tells me I have used cells a:ak 295. I have 35 sheets like this and is is making the file bigger than it has to be. I have tried deleting, clear, page preview setup but nothing seems to clear and make my page a1: k53. Any suggestions. Thank You Select the row following the end of your data. Ctrl+Shift+Down Arrow to select all rows beyond your data and Edit>Delete. Select the column following the end of your data. Ctrl+Shift+Right Arrow (US) to select all columns beyond your data...

Account setup is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.
I just upgraded to money '05 because my bank no longer allows acess using money '02. I have been getting this message for TWO WEEKS now. I set up three accounts with no problem, then this message over and over every day. I have tried starting a new account and I still get the same message. Surely MS's server has not been down this whole time, so I guess the problem is on my end. Please Help! In microsoft.public.money, lostmymirth wrote: >I just upgraded to money '05 because my bank no longer allows acess using >money '02. I have been getting this message for T...

Changing Port for Report Server
Dear all, I installed the Reporting Service of Sql Server 2000 and The Report manager worked, but the i had to change the port from 80 to 8080 . when i changed the port number of the report server i can't view the report manager any more. the web page displays the following error : "The request failed with HTTP status 400: Bad request. " So,Could any one help me. Another Problem : I am trying to change back the port to 80 but i couldn't because The IIS Messages: "The process can't access the file because it is been used by another process" I think there is ...

Schema validation error with both servers on Rollup 2
I'm trying to import customizations into my Server from an existing CRM installation. We are experiencing the dreaded “The selected customization file does not conform to the required customization file schema. A schema validation error has been detected at the line…” error even though both servers have had Rollup 2 applied. Any suggestions? Jim Hi James, Search for the line 'VisibleToPlatform' in your customizations file. Remove this complete line and store it again. The import will work then. Kind regards, Ronald -- Ronald Lemmen - MSCRM MVP Avanade Netherlands http://...

[ANN] The Entourage Help Blog: "Updated Exchange setup script supports Entourage 2008"
I've posted version 2.0 of my EntourageExchangeSetup AppleScript on The Entourage Help Page that includes support for Microsoft Entourage 2008's Kerberos feature as well as some minor additions and bug fixes. This AppleScript is intended to be modified by an administrator to assist his Entourage users with the setups of their Exchange server accounts. It has been tested specifically with Entourage 2004 11.2.6, 11.3.3, 11.3.7 and Entourage 12.00, 12.0.1 and 12.1.0 but should work with any version of Entourage 2004 SP2 (11.2.0) and higher. Every company's network is different...

SETUP
HOW DO I SET IT UP. Windows Mail: Setting up an account from start to finish http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Windows-Mail-setting-up-an-account-from-start-to-finish -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "home" <phillipsjamest@att.net> wrote in message news:u1ikLZSALHA.980@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > HOW DO I SET IT UP. "home" <phillipsjamest@att.net> wrote in message news:u1ikLZSALHA.980@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > HOW DO I SET IT UP. Start here and look for mail settings. ht...

HELP
The DBs are over 16GBs on EX2003 standard on W3K. I am going to do a offline defrag but I think that will just give me enough to open the DB, not much more. Can I create another database on this server and move users to it? If not, any ideas on how I fix this? This is a political issue and they will not do anything about reducing the size of their mailboxes, so that is not an option. Thanks Frank if you can't get anyone to delete items, you need to upgrade to Enterprise Edition, or build an additional server...Exchange Standard is limited to one mailbox store and one public stor...

hal.dll mising on system restore/recovery
If I try and boot up in recovery mode I get some message, forget exact working but it says I think hal.dll is missing. I think it may say window/system32/hal.dll is missing. There is a hal.dll in the system32 directory on the main partition, should there be one on the recovery partition? Anyway whats the problem, the file is there apparently and the system boots up into normal mode so wtf can't it boot into recovery? "Colin Trunt" <colin@trunt.com> wrote in message news:pqMun.164583$7o6.143583@newsfe27.ams2... > If I try and boot up in recovery mode...

System Cache in W2K8 R2 file server
Hi, I have a file server that is constantly consuming all of the 8GB memory it has, after reading quite a bit about it I understand that it is the System Cache that is eating up all the memory. The server has somewhere between 30MB to 300MB available memory but most often about 100MB. W2K8 (not R2) has the Windows Dynamic Cache Service where I can set a max-size on the System Cache but that service doesn't run on W2K8 R2. Is there a way to limit the size on the System Cache in W2K8 R2? Thank you in advance. Stefan > > > I have a file server that is constan...

Anonymous Access setup
I have a request to turn on anonymous access (MOSS 2007). We only have one Site collection and it’s an Intranet that uses Authentication Type; Windows and Integrated Windows Authentication. It seems straight forward first Enable IIS Anonymous Authentication, second Enable anonymous access for the Web Application needed, turn on anonymous access for list or site. Question: If I turn on anonymous access without enabling it on any sites or lists will my users notice anything different? I assume they will not notice anything. Next question; if I enable anonymous authentication on...

Problem using CFileFind on SMB server on LAN
Hi, I am having problems using CFindFile() when the path is to a directory on an SMB server in the local LAN. I am able to "see" the directory using _chdir but I need to iterate through all the files in the directory using CFindFile() My code is as follows : __code__ char * c_str = "\\\\server\\dir"; int foundVideoDir = _chdir(c_str); if (foundVideoDir != 0) { ;/*do error code*/ exit(1); } // if get here dir found on remote server CFileFind finder2; BOOL bResult2 = finder2.FindFile(c_str); if (bResult2 == 0) // note opposite value to _chdir { /*do second...

CRM for non-server settings?
CRM programs such as Maximiser run in a workgroup setting; is there a Microsoft alternative for workgroups? ...

Messages queue for one hour after server is rebooted
I recently started a new position here. They seem to keep having problems with their Exchange Servers. They have their exchange server databases on a SAN separate from their exchange servers. They are running an antivirus program on the Exchange servers, but excluding items listed by microsoft from being scanned. Their issue is that they reboot their servers (I don't know why they keep rebooting), but each time they reboot, messages queue for exactly one hour before they queue clears. Any ideas? -- Dberryhill I'd find out why they keep rebooting the servers. On Fri, 12 N...

Profile Setup
When I enter the server name and mailbox name when setting up an Outlook 2003 profile, how does it lookup the name? It seems I can put any name in the server area as long as I have a valid mailbox name. I used a made up server name and it still resolved the mailbox. Thanks, Outlook 2003 uses the Global Catalog servers in an AD environment. (Exchange 200x refers Outlook 2000/2003 to the GCs.) Outside of that, I didn't think what you just did was possible since a new profile (o/s and outlook) shouldn't have a reference to a GC until checking in with Exchange. Guess Outlook ...

Timesheet approval strange behaviour-Project Server 2007
Dear all, We are using Project Server 2007 Timesheet Module for a Functional Organization. Organization has various Teams. For every Team there is a Team Leader. Team Leaders report to Functional Managers and all Functional Managers report to a Director. All Team Members, Team Leaders and Managers register their Actual Time using Timesheet module. We are using "Fixed Approval" as follows: Team Member A has the Team Leader A of his/her Team as Timesheet Manager. Team Leader A has the Functional Manager A as Timesheet Manager. Functional Manager A Timesheet Appro...

Exchange Server Log Files
Hello, There's two questions that I have about log files. First question. I just started at a new company and they have no disk space on the server and no money to by additional storage for some time. I browse the server and removed any files that are not needed. It seems that every day that a couple of hundred MB are being saved on the drive that are due by the exchange server. I did some searching on the drive and there's a folder that's setup and there's several smtp log files that are named (in050610.log) which is about 1.5 GB. I assumed that somewhere down the road...

Payroll Posting Account Setup Window
We have customized the Payroll Posting Account Setup Window for a product of ours. We have received several complaints about the Payroll Posting account window changing the Account number if part of a record in the scrolling window has been modified. We turned off the customization so we were working with the core window and not the customized window and we were able to duplicate the error. The new account is being saved in the table, which is causing a tremendous problems. Here are the steps to recreate this issue. 1. modifiy any record -for instance the code field of any record an...

Archiving to server using Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2002
I have created folders on my server that everyone has access to. Each user has folders setup on their workstations. I want to be able to have everyone's "Research" folder achive to one folder on my server. It works fine for my 2003 workstations, but anyone on Outlook 2002 gets a message saying "Error while archiving folder "research" in store "personal folder". The file "server file".pst is not compatible with the sersion's personal foler information services." "server file" is the path to the folder on the server. I do n...

Script to save Excel file to the server.
Hi.. I have a excel sheet that contains employee details.I now want to save this file to a remote server as a "TAB DELIMITTED FILE"so that it gets updated to a database. I prefer this to be a automated process. Is there any script for doing this.Could anyone help me on this. Thanking You, cooldude -- raj41977 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ raj41977's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29427 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=491360 Try recording a macro when y...

setup.exe /removeorg
Hi, I uninstalled exchange 2003 using the add/remove programs. Then a reboot and a few hours to replicate. Then ran setup.exe /removeorg. I noticed that there was still objects leftover from exchange 2003 in AD, such as: Exchange Groups,Exchange settings in sites and services, distribution groups and disabled users. What exactly does the removeorg remove other that exchange 2003 organization? How do I clean the rest of the mess up? thx jason Hi Jason, You may want to view the following KB: 830185 The REMOVEORG option in Exchange Server 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/?id=830185 ...

Outlook 2000 Not Finding Exchange 2003 Server (All other clients work)
Good Morning, Desktop: Windows 2000 SP4 Email Client: Outlook 2000 Exchange Server: Exchange 2003 I have a user who's Outlook 2000 (Corporate/Workgroup mode) is unable to contact the Exchange server, and open the mail store for that user. It is only this clinet on this computer. It was working previously. I have tried to use Add/Remove Programs, and run the Office Setup, and manually "re-installed" MS Outlook 2000. No luck. Next, I re-ran the same set-up, and removed all MS Office 2000 applications. I have run the MS Office Removal Utility. I then re-installed MS...