How do I allow users in a trusted domain (not in our forrest) access to our exchange 2003 server?

Hello all.
We are 2 companies sharing the same office space (and the same ip network).
We (Company 1) have an Exchange 2003 server just set up (the old 5.5 is
still being used though), although it is not rolled out yet.

Company 2 have Internet mail for their employees, that is, their mail is NOT
handled on our server, but on an ISP's server.
The thing is, as we share offices, we also share resources and phones, and
so the users have mailboxes on our 5.5 server solely for the purpose of
having Calendar functions available to both them and us (free-busy
information and so on).
Our domains are not in the same forrest, but their domain trusts ours, and
vice versa.
In 5.5, a mailbox was easy to associate to a NT accunt, whether it was in
the domain where the mail server resided or if it was in a domain which was
only trusted.

So, how do we accomplish this on the new Exchange 2003 server?
We don't need to set up multiple SMTP domains.

Would the correct approach be to:

1) Run ForrestPrep and DomainPrep in their domain, just as we did in ours,
but not install the actual server? And then add our server to the their AD
group Exchange Domain Servers (created with ForrestPrep and DomainPrep)?
Seems somehow to easy if it was this simple :-) .

2) Add appropriate permissions to our server installation, so that their
domain users may access the server.

Any help appreciated

// Exchange 2003 (and 2000) newbie

Hi,

I believe the following Knowledge Base article should be able to help you
out.

278888 How to Associate an Exchange 2000 Mailbox with a Windows NT 4.0
Account
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=278888

I know that the article talks about NT 4.0, but it should give you the idea
of how to set this up.

--
Thanks,
James Burrage

"Henrik_the_boss" <henrik_the_boss@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello all.
> We are 2 companies sharing the same office space (and the same ip
network).
> We (Company 1) have an Exchange 2003 server just set up (the old 5.5 is
> still being used though), although it is not rolled out yet.
>
> Company 2 have Internet mail for their employees, that is, their mail is
NOT
> handled on our server, but on an ISP's server.
> The thing is, as we share offices, we also share resources and phones, and
> so the users have mailboxes on our 5.5 server solely for the purpose of
> having Calendar functions available to both them and us (free-busy
> information and so on).
> Our domains are not in the same forrest, but their domain trusts ours, and
> vice versa.
> In 5.5, a mailbox was easy to associate to a NT accunt, whether it was in
> the domain where the mail server resided or if it was in a domain which
was
> only trusted.
>
> So, how do we accomplish this on the new Exchange 2003 server?
> We don't need to set up multiple SMTP domains.
>
> Would the correct approach be to:
>
> 1) Run ForrestPrep and DomainPrep in their domain, just as we did in ours,
> but not install the actual server? And then add our server to the their AD
> group Exchange Domain Servers (created with ForrestPrep and DomainPrep)?
> Seems somehow to easy if it was this simple :-) .
>
> 2) Add appropriate permissions to our server installation, so that their
> domain users may access the server.
>

> Any help appreciated
>
> // Exchange 2003 (and 2000) newbie

0
jburrage (106)
1/2/2004 6:09:46 PM
Worked perfectly.
Thanx for the help.

"James Burrage [MSFT]" <jburrage@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I believe the following Knowledge Base article should be able to help you
> out.
>
> 278888 How to Associate an Exchange 2000 Mailbox with a Windows NT 4.0
> Account
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=278888
>
> I know that the article talks about NT 4.0, but it should give you the
idea
> of how to set this up.
>
> --
> Thanks,
> James Burrage

rights.
> Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup.

> "Henrik_the_boss" <henrik_the_boss@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello all.
> > We are 2 companies sharing the same office space (and the same ip
> network).
> > We (Company 1) have an Exchange 2003 server just set up (the old 5.5 is
> > still being used though), although it is not rolled out yet.
> >
> > Company 2 have Internet mail for their employees, that is, their mail is
> NOT
> > handled on our server, but on an ISP's server.
> > The thing is, as we share offices, we also share resources and phones,
and
> > so the users have mailboxes on our 5.5 server solely for the purpose of
> > having Calendar functions available to both them and us (free-busy
> > information and so on).
> > Our domains are not in the same forrest, but their domain trusts ours,
and
> > vice versa.
> > In 5.5, a mailbox was easy to associate to a NT accunt, whether it was
in
> > the domain where the mail server resided or if it was in a domain which
> was
> > only trusted.
> >
> > So, how do we accomplish this on the new Exchange 2003 server?
> > We don't need to set up multiple SMTP domains.
> >
> > Would the correct approach be to:
> >
> > 1) Run ForrestPrep and DomainPrep in their domain, just as we did in
ours,
> > but not install the actual server? And then add our server to the their
AD
> > group Exchange Domain Servers (created with ForrestPrep and DomainPrep)?
> > Seems somehow to easy if it was this simple :-) .
> >
> > 2) Add appropriate permissions to our server installation, so that their
> > domain users may access the server.
> >

> > Any help appreciated
> >
> > // Exchange 2003 (and 2000) newbie

Excellent. I'm glad that it worked. Have a great week.

--

> [...]
> in
> > > the domain where the mail server resided or if it was in a domain
which
> > was
> > > only trusted.
> > >
> > > So, how do we accomplish this on the new Exchange 2003 server?
> > > We don't need to set up multiple SMTP domains.
> > >
> > > Would the correct approach be to:
> > >
> > > 1) Run ForrestPrep and DomainPrep in their domain, just as we did in
> ours,
> > > but not install the actual server? And then add our server to the
their
> AD
> > > group Exchange Domain Servers (created with ForrestPrep and
DomainPrep)?
> > > Seems somehow to easy if it was this simple :-) .
> > >
> > > 2) Add appropriate permissions to our server installation, so that

exchange smtp error #2
I have listed the error message below, what is the smtp 554 transport error> Reporting-MTA: dns;jacob.us.maf.org > > Final-Recipient: rfc822;cirwin@maf.net > Action: failed > Status: 5.5.0 > Diagnostic-Code: smtp;554 <cirwin@maf.net>: Relay access denied > X-Display-Name: Chad Irwin > ------ End of Forwarded Message From: postmaster@maf.org To: DHoffman@maf.org Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 07:12:21 -0800 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/report; report-type=delivery-status; boundary="9B095B5ADSN=_01C639717D12FBFD0002ECE9jacob.us.maf.org" X-DS...

Append query in SQL Server, PK error
I’m trying to run an append query from a stored procedure which fails. I’m moving data from one table that has duplications on the primary key of the second table. With Access, an error will be generated saying that ‘cannot insert so many records because of key violations, do you want to continue anyway’. Answer yes and the data is moved save any duplications in the PK. As a SP, I get the PK error or another error if I set the Identity property on the field to YES. Is there a way to run this kind of SQL knowing that not all the records can be appended? Access 2002 SQL Server 2000 Thank...

Users in GP 9 & SQL Server 2005
Hi I have a problem regarding creating users in GP 9 SP2 and SQL Server 2005 SP2. I create a user on the server and give it access to companies, when I try to log in using this user id in a workstation (windows XP SP2, GP 9 sp2) it doesn't work, and gives me this error: "This login failed. Attempt top log in again or contact your system administrator." I tried different things regarding the ODBC settings like using server name and IP address, and using SQL Native Client, but nothing worked. If I create a user on a workstation and used it to log in it works sometimes. It’s...

Changing the domain where CRM is located
Hi, I'm installing a new domain controller on my network and I'm also changing the name of the domain. CRM 3.0 is located on its own box (SQL is stored on the same box), will the CRM 3.0 Redeployment Tool do everything I need to move CRM to the new domain? CRM will remain on the same box, I just need to connect the box to the new domain. Thanks in advanced. Regards, Cam The redeployment tool should work for this. You will need to run the export from the current system while it is still functioning. Then, follow the steps to "install" it on the servers after the...

Visio 2003 Pro and Generating SQL-Scripts
I'm confused between Visio Professional 2003 and Visio Enterprise. Can I generate SQL scripts from my created entities in Visio Professional 2003? Horrible website documentation for Visio versions. Thanks guys forward engineering is only supported in the EA versions. Al "Andy G" <ajgould@iastate.edu> wrote in message news:eQS9LguiEHA.2448@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I'm confused between Visio Professional 2003 and Visio Enterprise. Can I > generate SQL scripts from my created entities in Visio Professional 2003? > Horrible website documentation for Visio v...

Entire Active Directory visible when Allowing Users to Edit Ranges
Excel XP on Windows 2000. TS Environment running Citrix. Following Problem: Tools - Protection - Allow user to edit ranges - new - permissions - add. This provides a list of the ENTIRE active directory of the domain. Where is the switch to turn this off or to limit the access? Am I in the right newsgroup even? Any hints will be greatly appreciated. ...

Your Microsoft Exchange Server is Unavailable...sometimes
Using Exchange Server 2003, sometimes I get the "Unavailable" message when trying to connect w/Outlook 2000 on an XP Pro machine. Under O2K properties, the Exchange server and mailbox are found - no problems. But when I start up O2K, I ocassionally get the "Your Microsoft Exchange Server is Unavailable" message. And sometimes I don't - connects just fine (after booting up a different time, that is - it's a laptop). Any ideas? TIA for any help. what is your event logs saying, when you can not connect????? Intermitting network connectivity might be your problem,...

How can I create a folder under user's Inbox for all domain users
Dear all, Is there any approach to create a folder under Outlook 2k's Inbox for all my domain users in Exchange server-end (Exchange 2k3)? or any tools/scripts to do this? And how can I set a Server-end rules for all the uses to deliver some specific email to this folder? Thans for your inputs. Redd ...

Exchange Server #2
We're doing some work staging the equipment for disaster recovery and one of the pieces that is changing is the Exchange Server. We're going to upgrade it and while it is being upgraded another machine will be acting as our Exchange Server. We're wondering if the CRM will be affected if our Exchange Server runs on another box. If you have set up the email router then you will need to install that on to the new box and move the mailbox along with it. Also, you may have set up the CRM to send mail outbound via the exchange server smtp. You will also want to update that an...

Outlook 2003 #184
When your in outlook today (outlook2003) is it possible to hide or remove the task field? Tdn ...

Does Outlook 2003 allow multiple Exchange accounts?
Hi, I was wondering if Microsoft figured out a way to have more than one Exchange accounts in Outlook 2003? I realize that I can have multiple Exchange accounts in Outlook 2002 provided that I set them up as POP3 or IMAP. I'm talking about having multiple pure Exchange accounts w/ calendar and everthing. Thanks, Sam Nope. Only 1 Exchange account is still supported when working against 2 or more sites. -- Neo [MVP Outlook] Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account will be deleted w/out reading. "Sam" <sam@iqinternet.com> wrote in message news:e1sEVVao...

How can I automate an Access 97 to Access2003 conversion
Currently I have C++ App that uses Access 97 mdb on 300+ machines. I want to send the users a 'setup' to run to convert the mdb to Access2003. Is there such a thing? I want them to launch a conversion without any other input required. Am I left to send them a Access2003 mdb shell, and copy the data myself? That is possible, but I think it would be very slow. Thanks in advance for the input. Russ Aren't all of your users accessing the same 97 file? If so, then just convert it yourself. -- Lynn Trapp MS Access MVP www.ltcomputerdesigns.com Access Security: www.ltcompu...

opening office 2003 in office 2000
My daughter is doing a course in college and they use publisher 2003 at home I have office 2000 I have looked for tools to download and have found none has anyone got any ideas? -- EMC Liz wrote: > My daughter is doing a course in college and they use publisher 2003 at home > I have office 2000 I have looked for tools to download and have found none > has anyone got any ideas? There are no tools. Publisher 2003 can Save As a Publisher 2000 file, if you have Publisher 2000, but there is usually formatting loss, which is unpredictable. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...

Problem Opening Notebooks on New Server
I have a small office and we all store and use notebooks on our server. We moved all of our data to a new server yesterday, and now when we try to open the notebooks we get a message that says: "OneNote needs a password to sync some of your notebooks", and we are unable to open the notebooks. Interestingly, if we open the notebook through a mapped drive to the location, we get the error. But, if we navigate directly to the notebook through the network, it will open with no error. We are having no other problems with this mapped drive. Thanks! ...

field service allow setup of cycle charge allowed up to
Field service needs to allow the setup in meter readings to have an amount for each meter reading that is not charged versus just a maximum in the base field. For instance the customer each meter reading gets the first 1000 cycles at no charge and .05 per cycle over the allowance. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsre...

read only form allows date to change
I have a form that I open in read only that has a calendar popup for the date fields. When I open the form the calendar pop up allows the date to be changed. The rest of the fields are read only. Any suggestions. Thanks Private Sub ViewActivityNote_Click() On Error GoTo Err_ViewActivityNote_Click Dim stDocName As String Dim stLinkCriteria As String stDocName = "FRM - Activity Note" stLinkCriteria = "[activitynoteid]=" & Me![activitynoteid] DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria, acFormReadOnly Exit_ViewActivityNote_Click: Exi...

Use Trusted Connection-Crystal ODBC Connection
I setup a ODBC connection for Crystal reports, however when opening a report or refreshing a report, I get the SQL Server Login in window, asking for a login ID and password. There is also a check box for 'Use Trusted Connection' and if the user checks this box, the login ID and password grays out and they have access any of the Dynamics SQL tables. Basically someone can build any payroll report they want... and bypass all security by checking one simple box Does anyone know how to disable this check box? -- Doug Doug, It won't be quite that easy. The reason this w...

Exchange Server Recipient Limits
Hello group, We are currently running Exchange 2003 in mixed mode, and would like to limit the recipient limits in Exchange. We would like to limit it to 40 globally. The problem we are having is that want DLs to count as 1 recipient, and not the actual number of members. From what I recall, this is how Exchange 5.5 behaved. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks much to all, Kynnie -- ...

adding user submitted items to a list
hello all, any help with this would be greatly appreciated... there's a cell were a user is asked to input data, and a command butto marked 'submit'. There is also a list. When the button is clicked for the first time I require the underlyin macro to place the inputted data into the 1st position in the list (n problem so far). However when the button is clicked for the 2nd time require the macro to place that data in the 2nd position... ie eac time the button is pressed the list grows. how do I write the macro to ensure the data is inputted one row dow from the last inputted p...

Upgrade Path from EPS 2003 to EPS 2010
would like to know at a high level how this is done - automated - how do we get our project database into into the 2010 tables. ? Thanks, Jackie I did a quick search and found: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662496(office.14).aspx which will be a good starting point. -- Rod Gill Microsoft MVP for Project - http://www.project-systems.co.nz Author of the only book on Project VBA, see: http://www.projectvbabook.com "ljsexton" <ljsexton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F68EF70D-2395-4174-B565-38ADD7736074@microsoft.com......

Mapping disabled users in Import Organization
Hello, I am using the Import Organization tool to move a CRM 4.0 deployment to new servers in the same AD domain. I have several disabled CRM users who do not automatically map in the tool because their AD accounts have been deleted. Must I re-create these users in AD in order to map them in the Import Organization tool or is there another way to proceed? I had the same problem when creating a sandbox environment of my live CRM. All Deleted AD users need to be recreated, they can be disabled accounts but they still need to be in the AD. Once you have created the users, you be able to i...

GP and CRM servers
I am currently running three different servers. One server (Windows server 2003) is running Dynamics GP 10. This server also acts as my terminal services license server. Access to this server is via remote desktop and server access is via “Users and groups” settings (not Active Directory). My second server (Windows server 2003) is running CRM 4.0 and active directory. My third server (Windows Server 2008) will eventually be a SharePoint (MOSS 2007) server. I am in an academic environment and my three servers are running on top of VMware 2.5 ESX on IBM Blade hardware. I have no ...

NUL characters are not allowed
Hi, We have install the exchange 2003 and we are encountering intermitten problem when sending email to internet (only to a certain email domain other are alright). When that happens, we receive a "NUL characters ar not allowed" error. <mail.anonymous.com #5.5.0 smtp;550 Requested action not taken: NU characters are not allowed.> This error usually happens when we reply to a certain email domain. When this happens, we would retry 2 or 3 times, it usually i successfully after 2 or 3 tries. It only affects a small number of email domain. Other email domain ha no problem. H...

Installation of Access 2003 prevents Access 2000 from opening a report
I've been using Access 2000 (on XP SP2) without problems until I installed a new copy of Access 2003 on the same machine. An Access 2000 database (.mdb) which have been working on is fine in Access 2003, but will not work properly any more in Access 2000. The forms open in 2000 as before, but using form buttons to launch report previews can crash the program - "Microsoft Office Access has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience". The reports which crash the program have subreports, one with a graph object. They will open normally when open...