hosted email PTR records

Hi all,

We hosted several clients emails. (such as client.com; client1.com..)
Their MX records point to our Exchange servers (A record).  what about the
PTR records for mail.client.com; mail.client1.com...?  Should I ask our IP
provider to create PTR records for mail.client.com; mail.client.com as they
have PTR record for mycompany.com already?  Can one PTR (ip address) point to
different host names such as mail.mycompany.com,mail.client.com;
mail.client1.com...?  Will it affect mail delivery?

Thank you.

The reason you have PTR records for your domain and mail server is because
some of your users' correspondents' mail servers may look that up and refuse
mail from your server as an antispam measure.

More details are available here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300171
--
Ed Crowley MVP
..

"ed" <ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> We hosted several clients emails. (such as client.com; client1.com..)
> Their MX records point to our Exchange servers (A record).  what about the
> PTR records for mail.client.com; mail.client1.com...?  Should I ask our IP
> provider to create PTR records for mail.client.com; mail.client.com as
> they
> have PTR record for mycompany.com already?  Can one PTR (ip address) point
> different host names such as mail.mycompany.com,mail.client.com;
> mail.client1.com...?  Will it affect mail delivery?
>
> Thank you.

0
Ed
11/20/2009 5:51:36 PM
Thanks for the info.
What about our hosted email domain such as cient.com, client1.com,
currently, we have 1.1.1.1    mail.mycompany.com
should we add  1.1.1.1        mail.client.com
                       1.1.1.1        mail.client1.com  ???

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> The reason you have PTR records for your domain and mail server is because
> some of your users' correspondents' mail servers may look that up and refuse
> mail from your server as an antispam measure.
>
> More details are available here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300171
> --
> Ed Crowley MVP
> "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
> ..
>
> "ed" <ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We hosted several clients emails. (such as client.com; client1.com..)
> > Their MX records point to our Exchange servers (A record).  what about the
> > PTR records for mail.client.com; mail.client1.com...?  Should I ask our IP
> > provider to create PTR records for mail.client.com; mail.client.com as
> > they
> > have PTR record for mycompany.com already?  Can one PTR (ip address) point
> > different host names such as mail.mycompany.com,mail.client.com;
> > mail.client1.com...?  Will it affect mail delivery?
> >
> > Thank you.
>
> .

Hi Ed,

Make your PTR match the HELO/EHLO response your SMTP Servers gives - so you
don't need multiple PTR records.

Oliver

0
Oliver

duplicate emails
I recently switched from Outlook Express to Microsoft Outlook for my emails.The problem is I get two copies of all emails sent to me. This is a pain. I may have accidentally changed a setting somewhere but I can't resolve the problem. Any suggestions??????????? Thanks, Chuck ...

Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, and Dedicated Hosting!!!!!!
PREMIUM WORDPRESS BLOG HOSTING!! -Word press Hosting -Unlimited Domains -Panel Hosting -Unlimited Blogs -$7,95 per month http://minyurl.com/237 ...

Move old emails or emails with large attachments ?
Hello ! I need help in figuring out how to edit the code below (which works) to move SENT items to a separate personal folder called out here. I want to move emails that were sent 90 days ago or older to the personal folder. I also want to move emails that contain attachments that have a size greater than 5 MB. This code will run when called by the user from a Module. I have not figured out yet how to code an IF statement for Outlook yet much less one that requires an OR operator as well. I am using Outlook 2007. Can anyone provide direction for me in this ? thanks ! ...

Email send fails
When I try to send an email from CRM, I get an error "An error occurred attemtping to dispatch the email:HTTP status:401 Access Denied". Any ideas? Hallo Kevin, please try to reinstall the MSCRM Email Router on the Exchange server. -- Ich hoffe, das hilft / I hope, this helps. Freundliche Gr�sse, Alfred G�bel (MS) (Microsoft kann f�r die Richtigkeit und Vollst�ndigkeit der Inhalte in dieser Newsgroup keine Haftung �bernehmen.) "Kevin" <kjanuary@yahoooooooo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:463501c47344$f551ddd0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > When I try to send an e...

Emails with Attachments
I would like to export 350 HTML email messages -- each with a TEXT email message attached to it -- using the [File] - [Import and export...] - [Export to a file] method (or any other method) such that the content of each HTML email message and that of each attached TEXT email message are exported. Is there a straightforward or suitable workaround method for doing this? Thanks! Steve Forrestor xgfr92yx@yahoo.com Note: Remove spam-spoofing x's to email me directly. "Steve Forrestor" <xgfr92yx@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Z62dneANjZSl32TcRVn-uQ@comcast.com... >...

Emails Doubling
People are receiving doubles of my emails. Why is this? Sometimes I receive doubles of others' emails also. "pammor" <pammor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CE3A796F-FC12-4712-9510-8163FB406E73@microsoft.com... > People are receiving doubles of my emails. Why is this? Sometimes I > receive > doubles of others' emails also. Go to the Tools menu>Accounts> ensure that you do not have your account set up twice, if so remove one instance of it. -- Regards Steve. MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK. http://www.getsafeonline.org...

CRM Email failure
I have set up exchange and CRM on my Small Biz Ser 2003. Echange works and CRM works except for the email router. I recieve the following error: _____________________ Error Description: An unexpected error occurred. Error Details: An error occurred attempting to dispatch the email : A SOAP error occurred: '80040154Class not registered ' Error Number: 0x80040216 Source File: D:\crm\Build\3297\src\platform\include\proxy\proxyutil.h Line Number: 47 Query String: /Activities/Email/edit.aspxid={CB84A6B5-F0AD-4891-B289-208383D1DB9B} ______________________ Under the debug function, ...

Help with emails
Hello I am having some fun with setting up my exchange server, i have the domain and mx record all point to my server now but when i try and email my username andrew@domain.org.uk i am getting a error message andrew@domain.org.uk on 05/04/2006 18:42 The message reached t andrew@domainorg.uk on 05/04/2006 18:42 The message reached the recipient's e-mail system, but delivery was refused. Attempt to resend the message. If it still fails, contact your system administrator. <ukspm010.emea.corp.eds.com #5.2.1 smtp;550 5.2.1 <andrew@domain.org.uk>... Mailbox disabled for t...

How best to handle non-CRM user email address for campaigns, track
We running 4.0, and are interested in taking advantage of some of the new email campaign features. We'd like to send out these emails from an email address that is not necessarily the CRM user's primary email address, or goes to a different inbox. How can we do this? We are finding this need quite a bit. For instance, our customer support team would like to track emails to and from customersupport@mycompany.com instead of their own primary addresses, but can't figure out how to do that. we are running CRM 4.0 with the CRM email router service running on our exchange serv...

Email attachments #4
Is their a way of removing attachments from received email, after downloading the attachment, and saving only the message? Right click on the attachment and click on "Remove"! "IJN" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:000901c3a6ec$7de68d60$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Is their a way of removing attachments from received > email, after downloading the attachment, and saving only > the message? ...

Outlook 2000 hangs when trying to receive POP3 email
Whenever one user at my company tries to receive mail through our POP3 server into his Outlook 2000, it receives a few of the messages and then hangs. We use PMDF on 2 Alpha servers for our email (no Exchange). I have tried reinstalling Outlook 2000 as well as applying SR-1 and SP3. I have also tried giving him a new .pst file; it still hangs when receiving his mail. Any ideas on what could be causing this? ...

Internal Email not displaying senders name.
Hi, I have an problem where a user sends an internal mail , and the recipients do not see the senders display name. Configuration is, 1 user. 2 accounts. 2 email addresses. (Using Exchange) Account 1: username: bob1 smtp: bob1@bob.com Account 2: username: bob2 smtp: bob1@jane.com (account is disabled) Scenario: BOB1 logs into the BOB domain and sends emails as BOB1. He can send emails to anyone on the BOB1 domain and externally, and the dislpay name is correct. All working fine. BOB1 logs into the BOB domain, and sends emails as BOB2 using the from field. He can physically send ...

Best way to persist alter table changes in my local DB to web host
Hello. Using SQL Server 2008. I'm developing on my local PC with a copy of the DB that is contained on a web host. Is there a good way when I do an alter table on the local DB to export that change to the web host DB and have "semi-automatically" apply the change to its copy of the table? dontspammenow@yahoo.com (dontspammenow@yahoo.com) writes: > Using SQL Server 2008. I'm developing on my local PC with a copy of > the DB that is contained on a web host. Is there a good way when I do > an alter table on the local DB to export that change to the w...

Change Email from OnClick to On Deactivate
My Report is emailed from an On Click control, I am want to change it to On Deactivate of my Report is this possible, here is my code from a control Thanks if you can help me...................Bob Private Sub SendMailButton_Click() On Error GoTo ErrorHandler Dim lngID As Long, strMail As String, strBodyMsg As String, _ blEditMail As Boolean, sndReport As String, strCompany As String Dim msgPmt As String, msgBtns As Integer, msgTitle As String, msgResp As Integer Select Case Me.OpenArgs Case "ownerStatement" sndReport = "rptOwner...

Receiving the following error when trying to send or reply to an email
OUTLOOK caused an invalid page fault in module <unknown> at 0000:74680000. Registers: EAX=00ff3c28 CS=017f EIP=74680000 EFLGS=00010206 EBX=00ff34d4 SS=0187 ESP=0056e988 EBP=0056ebb4 ECX=00690056 DS=0187 ESI=00000000 FS=326f EDX=000124b7 ES=0187 EDI=00000000 GS=0000 Bytes at CS:EIP: Tried everything I can think of including removing office 2000-sr1 completely and reinstalling. Nothing seems to make a difference. OS is Win98 2nd Edition patched to current. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Rick Anyone? ...

Exchange 5.5
Hiya, I have a distribution list set up on my Exchange Server (5.5 with SP4, running on NT 4 SP6a) which only has 6 members. Over time though, as staff come and go, members have been added to this DL and then been removed at a later stage. I have a client who is reporting that when they try to email to the distribution list, they get two bounces. The first one is: "Unable to deliver message to the following address(es) /O=COMPANY/OU=EXCHANGE/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=ADDRESS 1. Remote host said: 554 delivery error: This user doesn't have an account" Where ADDRESS 1 is a user that, ...

How do I add my Peoplepc email to Outlook email accounts?
I am new to Outlook- (Using Outlook 2003)I am trying to set up the accounts, I can't access my Peoplepc email from outlook, I can't send email from any account- it stays in the "outbox" I tried to reconfigure the Peoplepc account and still no luck. I walked thru the "set up new email account" and still no luck. Can anyone help? Seamore@peoplepc.com "Seamore" <Seamore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C5AD445A-E9B8-4318-8E5E-40CE6D7E59AE@microsoft.com... > I am new to Outlook- (Using Outlook 2003)I am trying to set up the &...

How to enable the email address to repeat when entering a email
The outlook email program will not automaticallly fill in the email address of email address that I have previously used. How and where can I enable that menu? Thanks Depends on your Outlook version which you failed to mention. Since the feature is enabled by default, I suspect you have other problems. Clarify your post and provide more detail. -- Russ Valentine "Crash1234" <Crash1234@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D4818E78-9AD9-4256-9649-461E107FDD40@microsoft.com... > The outlook email program will not automaticallly fill in the email &g...

User has two user records in CRM
This is a bit stupid... One of our customers have been running their CRM 3 installation for quite some time by themselvs. Not really knowing what they have been doing. Now they asked us to help with upgrade to CRM 4 That worked OK just had some rights problems in the SQL Server. Now the funny thing is that for some unknown reason they have one AD user with to users in CRM. One is disabled and on is active. The result is that the user gets error: "Invalid User Authorization" . Trace says "User does not exsist in CRM" Now I have tried to add the user to the UserGroup...

Viewing of HTML Email Content w/ Embedded Images
Currently, we are receiving email feed into our application via POP3. What we would like to do is to view (and possibly work with) HTML emails, including those with embedded images, without having to save anything to disk, or any other "messy" operations. Reason being that some of our clients have restrictive disk access policies. Now from my understanding of HTML email, embedded images are actually attached files that are then referenced by a link in the email. To view in a HTML viewer, the image needs to be saved to disk somewhere. Is this correct, or can it be...

Live.com email account request
Hallo, Nowadays you can not create an emailaddress ending on "@live.com" if you do not live in the USA. You can only access the local country microsoft live site and sign up for an account with the local country topdomain. So is somebody in the USA willing to create an live emailaddress for me. If so pls sent me an email so we can exchange information. Thanks in advance. But Are they using your IP address to decide where you live or the physical address you enter? If the IP, find an anonymous proxy in the US to use and create your own account. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook...

email receiving question
Grreetings all, I recently changed for OE to outlook 03. I had no prblem moving emails address, etc. My problem is now after I receive emails, I delete the ones I no longer need or move to a new folder that I created. The next time I check emails, they all seems to download again and I have to weed through all the smae old emails. Is there a setting so the emails will be removed from the server or something to prevent this from the future. Thanks for your time. Dave ...

How to send email with no outlook and SMTP server ?
Is there any way to send an email (either from a VB program or ASP or HTML) if the machine has no Outlook and/or SMTP server ? Thank you If they have not blocked it, you can sometimes use the smpt server from your Internet provider. Look first if there are regulations about that. "fniles" <fniles@pfmail.com> wrote in message news:#2DBO1W5KHA.620@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Is there any way to send an email (either from a VB program or ASP or > HTML) if the machine has no Outlook and/or SMTP server ? > Thank you > > At some point you n...

Please develop capability to insert screenshots into CRm emails
CRM email does not have the ability to insert screenshots as you can in Outllook email client. I would appreciate if anyone knows of workaround or product that can do this. We can lose a very large opportunity because of this limitation. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" i...

lost emails
i lost most of my in coming emails i probely perment delited them is there amy way i can get them back Gladys Gladys, This newsgroup deals with Microsoft Access, a relational database application. You'll have better luck posting this question on a newsgroup that deals with your specific email application. Or try a Google on "restore deleted emails" -- hth Al Campagna Microsoft Access MVP 2006-2009 http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions/index.html "Find a job that you love... and you'll never work a day in your life....