Global Catalogue Server

Hello everyone,

I want to move my Global Catalogue server from one old box to a new
box, but after I did this I started having issues with Exchange not
being able to send or receive email.

I could not create new users, and once I changed it back (after giving
it a day and half to sync) I was fine in minutes.

So if I want to move the Global Catalgue Server for Exchange 2000 is
there anything else I need to do in my Win 2000 domain.

It depends a little on which version of Windows server you have.  I think
W2K SP2 and earlier did not have dynamic NSPI enable, which means that a
reboot was (of the GC) required before Exchange 2000 could use it.  The
following article has more info.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304403

The safer option would be to enable the new box as a GC at the same time as
you still have the old box in place.  Is there any reason why you didn't do
this?

Tony
www.activedir.org

<tim_wallace@games-workshop.com.au> wrote in message
> Hello everyone,
>
> I want to move my Global Catalogue server from one old box to a new
> box, but after I did this I started having issues with Exchange not
> being able to send or receive email.
>
> I could not create new users, and once I changed it back (after giving
> it a day and half to sync) I was fine in minutes.
>
> So if I want to move the Global Catalgue Server for Exchange 2000 is
> there anything else I need to do in my Win 2000 domain.

0
tony1858 (23)
5/24/2005 2:57:34 AM
Both boxes are up and running and working as DC's.

I wanted to shift the Global Catalogue server from box to another, so
that in the near future I can rebuild the old server.

Ok.  The wording of your original post made it sound as if the GC was an
either/or choice.  Clearly, Exchange will not work unless it has access to a
working GC.  I just wanted to make the point that both your DCs can also be
GCs at the same time.

When you enable a DC as a GC it takes a while for replication to complete.
Actually, if you have a single domain it hardly takes any time at all since
there is no additional information to replicate.  The GC will be available
when you see the Directory Service event 1119.

If if you still have problems with Exchange after re-enabling the second DC
as a GC you can get more information by setting diagnostics logging for
DSAccess, as described in the followign article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316300

> Both boxes are up and running and working as DC's.
>
> I wanted to shift the Global Catalogue server from box to another, so
> that in the near future I can rebuild the old server.

0
tony1858 (23)
5/24/2005 4:31:35 AM
On 23 May 2005 19:43:02 -0700, tim_wallace@games-workshop.com.au
wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>
>I want to move my Global Catalogue server from one old box to a new
>box, but after I did this I started having issues with Exchange not
>being able to send or receive email.
>
>I could not create new users, and once I changed it back (after giving
>it a day and half to sync) I was fine in minutes.
>
>So if I want to move the Global Catalgue Server for Exchange 2000 is
>there anything else I need to do in my Win 2000 domain.

In addition to tony's suggestions take a look at the directory access
tab on the exchange server properties and make sure that it's not been
configured to look at one GC/DC only. The default is to autodiscover
but it's still worth a check.
0
mark7219 (5666)

Importing XML in SQL Server 2005 in .Net 2.0
Hello All, I tried using bulkupload SQLXML, but it is very unreliable. Is there any way we can import XML file having schema into database? Neo Hello Neo, N> I tried using bulkupload SQLXML, but it is very unreliable. Is there N> any way we can import XML file having schema into database? What exactly are you trying to do? e.g., load XML into an XML typed column or load XML into one or more tables? Do you already have a schema? Note: Adding to m.p.ss.xml for easier tracking. Thanks! Kent Tegels DevelopMentor http://staff.develop.com/ktegels/ Yes, I have schema. I have also c...

Need advice on NT4 -> Server 2008 R2 upgrade
We currently have an NT4 domain but are looking at making the jump to Server 2008 R2, A/D, etc. but we have some limitations on what can be upgraded so I need some advice. Here is our current configuration: * NT4 PDC and BDC * All user workstations are Win XP SP3 * All file servers except for the PDC and BDC are Server 2003 Std * There are about 10 process control workstations running Windows 2000. These can _NEVER_ change. * There are a hundred or so NT4 workstations. These can _NEVER_ change. * A few Linux systems that are running SAMBA and use the NT4 domain for authentication....

Inconsistency between global catalog in root and global catalog in child domains
Hi, I have a very strange problem in my AD. It seems that there is an inconsistence between global catalog in the root domain and global catalog in the child domains. Global catalog on all root domain controllers are identical. Global catalog on all child domain controllers are identical. However (at least) one orphaned object exist in the global catalog on the child DC's, but not in global catalog on the root DC's. The object is not accessible through adsiedit, ldp, etc. and thus we cannot delete it. Does anybody have a good idea on how to get this object deleted. How the inco...

Exchange Server Stats
Hi, Is there any way to get stats on how many messages are being sent out and received into an Exchange 2003 server for a given period of time? i.e. How many e-mail did user A send and receive in a month? And then get more detail on who sent them most, the least, etc..? I know there are performance monitors, but they don't give me enough detail .... I think. Thanks, Bart You can parse the logs manually or go look at third party tool from Promodag, NetIQ or Quest. "Bart Verwilt" <bart@pro-2-call.com> wrote in message news:%23B3m$b3IFHA.2736@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

Catching global keystrokes
Hello. I need my program to react to some key combination no matter if the program's window is active or not. How can this be done? Depends on the details of the key combinations as to what you have to do, precisely, but a WH_GETMESSAGE hook looking for WM_KEYDOWN, WM_SYSKEYDOWN or WM_CHAR is a start. Note if the key combination is Ctrl+Alt+Del, then it will never be possible. In Vista, you will not be able to get ALL keystrokes unless you are running as administrator. See my essay on hooks on my MVP Tips site. joe On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 09:42:52 +0300, Vladimir <thamiorsinister@...

Entourage Calendar Randomly Stops Sync'ing With Exchange Server

hosting Exchange server
Hello, We would like to host the echange server for our business partner. Is there are anu documentation available on this? We would prefer not integrating the Active Directory. Thanks. Well, you can't run Exchange without Active Directory so you're out of luck on your preference. ;-) However, you can take a look at these links for information on setting up hosting. http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Shared_Hosting_Exchange_2003_Part1.html http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Shared-Hosting-Exchange-2003-Part2.html Hope this helps. Steve Antonio, CISSP Microsoft Exchange Suppo...

global rule
I have a program that tags the subject line of all emails that it thinks is spam. Instead of delivering that message to the recipient I would like to create a rule to deliver it to one large spam mailbox. Is there a way to do this? I am running exchange 2003. ...

No global address list when trying to send email through excel
In excel, you can send the spreadsheet as an attachment through emai (Outlook). When I try to do this, the global address list on th server doesn't show up, therefore the person I'm trying to send it t doesn't show up. The global address list is available because I ca save the spreadsheet and create a new email and insert it as a attachment...I would like to send the spreadsheet in an email throug excel (File, Send to, mail recipient (as attachment) because it' easier...How do I change the settings to look for the GAL on th server. There was some sort of wizard that walked ...

'have server reply using a specific message' rule
First let me apologize for just posting without reading the 3500 entries my reader found. If this has been discussed before I didn't find it using some simple search on the newsgroup. Anyway here is what I want to do: I'm trying to setup some rules that will take an incoming email with specific words in the subject, then with specific words in the body move it to subfolders and then reply back to the sender with a specific message. In this case we are having customers use a registration form. Once they register if they are not some spam locations we get filling out forms etc e...

RMS and Service Pack 3 for Microsoft SQL Server 2005
Hi all Has Service Pack 3 for Microsoft SQL Server 2005 been certified to work with RMS? thanks ...

Global Function
I'm using the following code to set the Datasheet Font on a Split Form using AC 2007. Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer) Me.DatasheetFontName = "Arial" End Sub I would like to use a global function so I might call the same function from all my forms, but I haven't had much luck. I tried the following: Public Function SetDataSheetFont() Dim frm As Form Set frm = Screen.ActiveForm frm.DatasheetFontName = "Arial" End Function I get no errors but nothing happens when calling this in the OnOpen of a form. Any help will be appreciated, Ja...

Server Management console gone wacky after updates
This is a strange one. We updated our SBS 2003 R2 with these updates: http://i50.tinypic.com/15mn4n5.jpg Upon reboot, Server Management showed this problem 100% of the time in my profile on the server (admin-level account), and eventually in the Administrator account though not immediately: http://forums.msrportal.com/showthread.php?t=9843 Also, as described here in relation to the same problem, there are some weird icon/text issues that are highly reminiscent of GDI deficiencies on XP. Sometimes icons are missing in Explorer, sometimes the menu come up in the wrong font, etc...

Can I change Domain membership of an Exchange server?
Here is my setup. I have two child domains in the same forest. Call them DomainA.company.com and Domainb.company.com. I have 1 front end Exchange server and 7 backend exchange servers. All of these servers are in Domaina except for one. We are eventually going to collapse Domainb. Since these are in the same forest and the same exchange org, can i change the domain membership of the one exchange server? I am nervous about doing this and wanted to check to see if it is possible. My other option is to move the mailboxes to one of the other servers, remove exchange from the domainb serv...

windows server 2008 #2
Hi I have been running GP 10.0 SP 3 with SQL 2008 in a test environment with Windows Server 2008. I have problem I can't login to GP for workstation (windows Vista ) if any one have an installation of GP-10 with an Instance in SQL-2008. and Windows Server 2008 can help me Are you receiving error messages when trying to login? You may have to disable UAC(User Account Control) from Control Panel. "Magdy wadie" wrote: > Hi > I have been running GP 10.0 SP 3 with SQL 2008 in a test environment with > Windows Server 2008. I have problem I can't login to GP for...

Global Footer Options?
Hi there: Does anyone know if there is a global default option in Excel to ALWAY create footers with the pathname and docname for ALL worksheets? I.E. know there is the solution to create the pathname in eac footer/worksheet, but I want to set this feature as a global defaul for any worksheet I work on. Hope springs eternal : -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi you can create a new template (*.xlt) file including this option. Place this in your template folder and choose this template for your new workbooks -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > Hi there: > D...

will CRM load on a 2003 server?

SMTP server failing
My copy of Outlook 2K3 has developed a weird problem, only with one of my POP3 accounts (I use 5 regularly) and only on sends. I consistently get the error: Task 'Comcast - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC61) : "Your outoing (SMTP) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server adminstrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: 556 null byte in data' As I said, I can send mail using any of my other accounts. Comcast claims it's not their problem, and it wouldn't make any differe...

Leaving mail on server
We are using a POP3 connector to download email from our webhost, but would like to leave email on the POP3 mail server for a few days as not all users are in the office every day, and some of them would like to check their email from the webmail page. If exchange server is running, it downloads emails daily, but is there a setting to change to leave a copy of the emails on the POP3 mailserver without getting duplicate emails? Any suggestions would be helpful. there's a setting on the client to do this... "Thaddeus" <thad@jaeger-nickola.com> wrote in message new...

global object dependent on CWinApp global object
hi I have a global object which depends on the CWinApp global object i.e. it assumes that the CWinApp global object is created. After migrating to VS 2005, my global object is getting created before the CWinApp global object. Is there any way I can force the CWinApp object to be created first? I know one of the solution is to avoid a global object and wrap it in a fuction, however a lot of files use this object directly, so I am trying to figure out if there is another way. Regards Chimanrao Chimanrao wrote: > hi > > I have a global object which depends on the CWinApp global...

Date formats, culture and globalization
Hi, ASP.NET 3.5 We are creating a 3-tier ASP.NET Web Application that needs just to understand dates as UK shortdate format (dd/MM/yyyy). It will only be used in the UK on intranet. I often come across web server and client machine that are incorrectly set up so I want to protect the app from these incorrectly set up hosts. I understand the safe date formats for passing through to the database. SQLParameters pass through a non-ambiguous format and also that 'yyyyMMdd' is also a safe format. So ignore the database side of things - I get that. At the moment all the bou...

prf question and global address list....
When i fire off my Oulook 2003 and manually create my profile to connect to our exchange server i get to see my GAL and my outlook address book with my contacts folder when i go to create a new message and click TO: to look at my contacts. When i start outlook 2003 using my PRF file it auto creates the profile and connects me to the server but for some reason i can only see my GAL and not my outlook address book or contacts when creating a new message. I have found this line in my PRF file under MSMail DisplayGalOnly=PT_BOOLEAN,0x6625 Im not sure if this is related but the docs say ...

Exchange server problem
I have exchange server 2003 on Windows server 2003. Sudenly I have the following error and I'm not able to read emails : "network problems are preventing to the Microsoft Exchange server computer" "The Microsoft Exchange server is not availlable". Could anyone help me ? "Rod" <camino.april@tiscali.it> wrote: >I have exchange server 2003 on Windows server 2003. >Sudenly I have the following error and I'm not able to read emails : > "network problems are preventing to the Microsoft Exchange server computer" > "The Micr...

Rule based on Global Address list?
Is there a way to create a rule in Outlook 2000 that says: route all mail from anyone not in my Global Address List to my Junk E-mail folder? ...

Taking out an Exchange 2003 Server from a site
I want to remove an old exchange 2003 from my site. How does one go about doing this? I did the following so far: Installed Exchange 2003 on new hardware and join it to my exchange site. I followed Tech Net Article 822931. Do I need to do anything else in order to get the old server out of my site cleanly. -- Eric Sabo NT Administrator Hi Eric, Following the steps in that article should do it for you. To be 100% sure, you can stop and disable the services on the server you wish to decommission for a few days and see if any problems arise. Good luck! -- Randy Campbell Microsof...