global catalog connections

lately we are experiencing slow outlook start ups

investigating this I noticed thru the connection status that outlook is
always connecting to an offsite DC instead of the DC in the same site
or the DC at the site of the XC server

our setup is an HQ office with the datacenter holding one XC server and
two GC servers + a number of branch offices each holding a GC server

XC server is 2k7SP1, Outlook clients are all 2k7SP2

what could be the reason of outlook using an offsite GC?

I already checked SPN entries (exchangeAB/server) and updated the
missing ones

thnx

0
chriske911

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 09:48:20 +0100, chriske911
<chriske911nosp@m.yahoo.com> wrote:

>lately we are experiencing slow outlook start ups
>
>investigating this I noticed thru the connection status that outlook is
>always connecting to an offsite DC instead of the DC in the same site
>or the DC at the site of the XC server
>
>our setup is an HQ office with the datacenter holding one XC server and
>two GC servers + a number of branch offices each holding a GC server
>
>XC server is 2k7SP1, Outlook clients are all 2k7SP2
>
>what could be the reason of outlook using an offsite GC?

The "local" dc is slow to respond.

Try using this to instruct Outlook to use the closest GC:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319206
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
0
Rich

Help understanding data connection in SLB
Hello, I'm a little confused as to what Smartlist builder calls a "data connection". It's used like a table. To me a data connection has always been a conduit to a database. Like a connection string that lists the server, database, user and password. But in SLB, this definition does not seem to be the case. Can someone please explain to me what a "data connection" is in SLB? Thanks. JDM Data connections are not tables. They are just that, connection objects that allow reports published with SmartList Builder (to either Excel or SharePoint) to be ...

Where do I find the Product Catalog
Help me out please, I know I've seen it once but I just can't find the right screen. What application/URL do I need to open, my current http://sbs:5555 - settings link doesn't show the product catalog even under administrator In CRM 3.0, the Product Catalog is on the main "Settings" screen. "TheComputerGuy (PF)" <TheComputerGuyPF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BA477C15-6FD1-4A98-BF02-4B00766C5F77@microsoft.com... > Help me out please, I know I've seen it once but I just can't find the > right > screen. What appl...

How does a Mapi Outlook connection pass the credentials
Is there any kind of encryption when Outlook with a Mapi connection to the exchange server passes the creds to it? ...

Inconsistency between global catalog in root and global catalog in child domains
Hi, I have a very strange problem in my AD. It seems that there is an inconsistence between global catalog in the root domain and global catalog in the child domains. Global catalog on all root domain controllers are identical. Global catalog on all child domain controllers are identical. However (at least) one orphaned object exist in the global catalog on the child DC's, but not in global catalog on the root DC's. The object is not accessible through adsiedit, ldp, etc. and thus we cannot delete it. Does anybody have a good idea on how to get this object deleted. How the inco...

DataGridView connected to SQLServer Express
Hello! I'm learning VB.Net I have a DataGridView connected to SQLServer Express. In explorer SQLServer Express if I try to change the column name or create a new column, the column names in the DataGridView is not updated. What do I have to update the name of the columns in the DataGridView? Thanks TC I am assuming you added a "column" in the Database itself through SQLServer Express. Keep in mind that the "database" ( .mdf ) file is seperate from the vb.net program. So, you have step1 complete ( you have added the column ). As...

Catching global keystrokes
Hello. I need my program to react to some key combination no matter if the program's window is active or not. How can this be done? Depends on the details of the key combinations as to what you have to do, precisely, but a WH_GETMESSAGE hook looking for WM_KEYDOWN, WM_SYSKEYDOWN or WM_CHAR is a start. Note if the key combination is Ctrl+Alt+Del, then it will never be possible. In Vista, you will not be able to get ALL keystrokes unless you are running as administrator. See my essay on hooks on my MVP Tips site. joe On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 09:42:52 +0300, Vladimir <thamiorsinister@...

Outlook 2000/2 computers/2 email addresses/one cable connection
I've got a wireless connection between my main computer and one other one. I wanted to set up email on the wireless connected computer. I've got everything set up, I think with roadrunner, and I can SEND with the other computer. I just can't recieve emails on it. How can I do that? ...

NO INTERNET CONNECTION
this is very frustrating: i am unable to connect to the internet - heres the story: my system runs xp sp2 with an msi motherboard (ms 7093, ati radeon xpress 200, athlon 64 bit, rs480m2 (socket 939)), realtek alc658c audio that uses a realtek ac'97 driver and a creative sb x-fi soundcard, a siemens speedstream 4100 modem, a realtek 8139 family pci fast ethernet nic and a d-link g510 wireless pci adapter. my device mgr indicates that under network adapters, i have working a 1394 net adapter, d-link adapter, and a rtl8139. under "other devices," i only see a yel...

No global address list when trying to send email through excel
In excel, you can send the spreadsheet as an attachment through emai (Outlook). When I try to do this, the global address list on th server doesn't show up, therefore the person I'm trying to send it t doesn't show up. The global address list is available because I ca save the spreadsheet and create a new email and insert it as a attachment...I would like to send the spreadsheet in an email throug excel (File, Send to, mail recipient (as attachment) because it' easier...How do I change the settings to look for the GAL on th server. There was some sort of wizard that walked ...

global rule
I have a program that tags the subject line of all emails that it thinks is spam. Instead of delivering that message to the recipient I would like to create a rule to deliver it to one large spam mailbox. Is there a way to do this? I am running exchange 2003. ...

Wide Area connection to SQL server 2008 Express via broadband
I have a Vb6 application that connects to SQL server 2008 Express (installed on a Windows XP box connected to a router); currently the application connects to the server and remains connected until the user closes the application (the application disconnects from the server on close). This has been working great for a long time within the local area network. Now, the user of the application opened another office in another state and would like to install the application on local machines but have the machines in the new office connect to the database in the (head) office where...

Problem with connecting automatically
I have a little problem with my Outlook. When I start the program it doesn't connect automatically anymore, I have to wait for about a minute. I've tried to change the setting in Tools>Option (General tab/Send recieve mail) but with no luck. ...

Global Function
I'm using the following code to set the Datasheet Font on a Split Form using AC 2007. Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer) Me.DatasheetFontName = "Arial" End Sub I would like to use a global function so I might call the same function from all my forms, but I haven't had much luck. I tried the following: Public Function SetDataSheetFont() Dim frm As Form Set frm = Screen.ActiveForm frm.DatasheetFontName = "Arial" End Function I get no errors but nothing happens when calling this in the OnOpen of a form. Any help will be appreciated, Ja...

Global Footer Options?
Hi there: Does anyone know if there is a global default option in Excel to ALWAY create footers with the pathname and docname for ALL worksheets? I.E. know there is the solution to create the pathname in eac footer/worksheet, but I want to set this feature as a global defaul for any worksheet I work on. Hope springs eternal : -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi you can create a new template (*.xlt) file including this option. Place this in your template folder and choose this template for your new workbooks -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > Hi there: > D...

Lost Excel connection to BP
Hello: Last week, the IIS server at a client crashed. They were able to get the server back up and Business Portal is running fine, now, for all users. One user, however, is reporting that his connection to Business Portal data from Microsoft Excel no longer finds the databases (companies) except for that of a test company called “The Phone Company”. In Excel, he goes to Data…Import External Data, grabs the Microsoft Business Solutions data source, types in the URL, and he finds the root directories to the databases. But, again, the databases that he used to see are not there. I c...

Multiple Connections won't allow sending of email.
I connect to my ISP and then also set up a VPN connection to a client LAN. While I have the VPN connection setup, I can not send email. (I still have internet access and receive email.) I expect that Outlook is choosing the VPN connection over the ISP connection. Can anyone tell me how I can tell Outlook WHICH LAN connection to use? I am currently running 2000, but could upgrade to 2003 IF it provided me a solution to this that Outlook 2000 does not. Thx, LJ Tools> Option> Connections> change.....that's it. :-) "LJ" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.c...

Cannot Connect for Download
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I am trying to connect to Microsoft for the latest Office 2008 download (I think it is 12.1.2) and every time I either use the AutoUpdate, or try to connect directly via the Mactopia site, I get a message that the url cannot be found, or the server is busy (this has gone of for 4 days now). The download DID work for my Power PC Mac update; what is wrong? re cannot connect for dowload me too, same server connection problem with all microsoft updates via microsoft download centre. Experiencing same error with flip for m...

global object dependent on CWinApp global object
hi I have a global object which depends on the CWinApp global object i.e. it assumes that the CWinApp global object is created. After migrating to VS 2005, my global object is getting created before the CWinApp global object. Is there any way I can force the CWinApp object to be created first? I know one of the solution is to avoid a global object and wrap it in a fuction, however a lot of files use this object directly, so I am trying to figure out if there is another way. Regards Chimanrao Chimanrao wrote: > hi > > I have a global object which depends on the CWinApp global...

FRx catalog print in Excel format
We're on FRx SP10. My main user wants to know if we can print out the Catalog of Reports in Excel format. I've not seen where we can but to make sure, can we? -- Sandy GP Sys Admin / Proj Sys Analyst If you can print to an Adobe pdf you can get it into Excel. After it is a pdf document you can copy/paste it into Excel. It works well for the summary catalog report but not the detail. the detail report wants to print each catalog on a separate page. "GP Guy in AZ" wrote: > We're on FRx SP10. My main user wants to know if we can print out the Catalog > o...

Date formats, culture and globalization
Hi, ASP.NET 3.5 We are creating a 3-tier ASP.NET Web Application that needs just to understand dates as UK shortdate format (dd/MM/yyyy). It will only be used in the UK on intranet. I often come across web server and client machine that are incorrectly set up so I want to protect the app from these incorrectly set up hosts. I understand the safe date formats for passing through to the database. SQLParameters pass through a non-ambiguous format and also that 'yyyyMMdd' is also a safe format. So ignore the database side of things - I get that. At the moment all the bou...

need advice optimizing branch offcie connection to SBS2003
Hello, folks: I have a client running a single-NIC SBS2003 server behind a hardware firewall in their main office. They had about 20 users in the main office (with My Documents folder re-direction), but I just moved 4 PCs from the SBS LAN out to a new branch office. Branch office is connected to main office via a persistent firewall-VPN device link. There are no servers in the branch office. The 4 PCs had been joined to the SBS domain via the Connect Computer wizard while in the main office. The main office subnet is 192.168.16.x, and the branch office subnet is 192.168.99.x...

prf question and global address list....
When i fire off my Oulook 2003 and manually create my profile to connect to our exchange server i get to see my GAL and my outlook address book with my contacts folder when i go to create a new message and click TO: to look at my contacts. When i start outlook 2003 using my PRF file it auto creates the profile and connects me to the server but for some reason i can only see my GAL and not my outlook address book or contacts when creating a new message. I have found this line in my PRF file under MSMail DisplayGalOnly=PT_BOOLEAN,0x6625 Im not sure if this is related but the docs say ...

connection
I am connected to the internet, but when I try internet exployer is say "there is a problem connecting to the program" ...

Rule based on Global Address list?
Is there a way to create a rule in Outlook 2000 that says: route all mail from anyone not in my Global Address List to my Junk E-mail folder? ...

Global calendar entries
Is there any way of adding calendar entries (such as bank holiday information) globally into exchange so that all users see it in their Outlook calendars? I'd like to avoid users having to import it into their calendars manually if possible. Many thanks in advance (and apologies if this question has been asked before). ...