Ghosting an Exchange 5.5. server

I have an Exchange 5.5 server that was running out of hard disk space. So I
ghosted the drive onto a larger drive. However, the next day I started
getting errors with my database, and am now in the throes of getting things
back in order.

Is there a known issue with ghosting Exchange databases? Should I not have
done it that way?

Tim

0
tim6856 (76)

I would never trust ghost with something as important as Exchange 5.5.  Did you try to run the defrag utilities for Exch 5.5 before you decided to ghost?

Running "eseutil /d" on the priv files will defragment the database files.  Once, I was able to get our priv1.mdb from 5 gb to 4 gb just by running this utility. Look on the MS site for the eseutil commands to defragment Exchange info stores.

"Tim Kowal" wrote:

> I have an Exchange 5.5 server that was running out of hard disk space. So I
> ghosted the drive onto a larger drive. However, the next day I started
> getting errors with my database, and am now in the throes of getting things
> back in order.
>
> Is there a known issue with ghosting Exchange databases? Should I not have
> done it that way?
>
> Tim

0
chrisH (31)
6/17/2004 8:08:01 PM
I didn't run anything before the ghost. in my case then, what would you have
done? Would the following be a good plan:

stop and set the exchange services to manual
run eseutil /d to defrag the .edb files.
shutdown and ghost.
boot to the new drive with the old drive as secondary, and then copy the
exchange databases and logs to the new drive (overwriting the ones created
by Ghost)
Start the exchange services and set to "automatic"

You think this would be safe enough to be considered a "best practice?" I
ask because this was the second time i had to ghost a exchange 5.5, and the
last one got corrupted, too. didn't notice till a few weeks later, but now
that this one happened, it set off a red flag.

Thanks.
Tim

"Chris H" <ChrisH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I would never trust ghost with something as important as Exchange 5.5.
Did you try to run the defrag utilities for Exch 5.5 before you decided to
ghost?

> Running "eseutil /d" on the priv files will defragment the database files.
Once, I was able to get our priv1.mdb from 5 gb to 4 gb just by running this
utility. Look on the MS site for the eseutil commands to defragment Exchange
info stores.

> "Tim Kowal" wrote:
>
> > I have an Exchange 5.5 server that was running out of hard disk space.
So I
> > ghosted the drive onto a larger drive. However, the next day I started
> > getting errors with my database, and am now in the throes of getting
things
> > back in order.
> >
> > Is there a known issue with ghosting Exchange databases? Should I not
have
> > done it that way?
> >
> > Tim

0
tim6856 (76)
6/17/2004 11:21:55 PM
I would have just added another drive and used the Optimizer to move the
data stores and logs to that drive (after doing an NTBackup up the
database).

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"Tim Kowal" <tim@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I didn't run anything before the ghost. in my case then, what would you
have
> done? Would the following be a good plan:
>
> stop and set the exchange services to manual
> run eseutil /d to defrag the .edb files.
> shutdown and ghost.
> boot to the new drive with the old drive as secondary, and then copy the
> exchange databases and logs to the new drive (overwriting the ones created
> by Ghost)
> Start the exchange services and set to "automatic"
>
> You think this would be safe enough to be considered a "best practice?" I
> ask because this was the second time i had to ghost a exchange 5.5, and
the
> last one got corrupted, too. didn't notice till a few weeks later, but now
> that this one happened, it set off a red flag.
>
> Thanks.
> Tim
>

> "Chris H" <ChrisH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I would never trust ghost with something as important as Exchange 5.5.
> Did you try to run the defrag utilities for Exch 5.5 before you decided to
> ghost?
> >
> > Running "eseutil /d" on the priv files will defragment the database
files.
> Once, I was able to get our priv1.mdb from 5 gb to 4 gb just by running
this
> utility. Look on the MS site for the eseutil commands to defragment
Exchange
> info stores.
> >
> > "Tim Kowal" wrote:
> >
> > > I have an Exchange 5.5 server that was running out of hard disk space.
> So I
> > > ghosted the drive onto a larger drive. However, the next day I started
> > > getting errors with my database, and am now in the throes of getting
> things
> > > back in order.
> > >
> > > Is there a known issue with ghosting Exchange databases? Should I not
> have
> > > done it that way?
> > >
> > > Tim

0
rasilon1 (689)

exchange 2003 #54
Hi I really need some help My parent company is a separate forest separte exchange Org then there is me who is in a separate forest and separate exchange Org, I have a trust setup for many months now. I get a call from our parent company that they can sometimes send us email but most of the time no. this is the error The e-mail system was unable to deliver the message, but did not report a specific reason. Check the address and try again. If it still fails, contact your system administrator. <domain.com #4.0.0 smtp;452 Too many recipients received this hour> also in...

mailQ exchange 2003
I recently had the problem with mailQ and 2003 exchange servers where no data is being reported to mailq. The kb 820847 does fix it except it is unrealistic to have to run "wmiadap.exe /f" potentially every time you reboot a 2003 server. Instead I made a modification to the mailQ code. Ill give a quick summary and then post the source. First I added a boolean switch Dim m_bWmiInstanceFail and set it to false when builddata starts. It is then set to true if an attempt to retrieve one of the performance counters fails. before the function exits if m_bWmiInstanceFail = ...

exchange columns and rows
How do you exchange all the columns and rows in an Excel spreadsheet? The column labels are across the top of the spreadsheet, with the data (vertically) below. We want to change it so the column labels on the left, with the data horizontally to the right. (I know prior planning helps in these matters but we're not that good at prior planning (acronym PPPPPP)). Jim Hi Jim this can be done, but remember you can't exceed 256 columns :) select the range to transpose choose copy click on a blank cell underneath your current data and choose edit / paste special - transpose - OK no...

changing domain membership exchange 2003
Hello, Due to restructuring we have to move our exchange server into a child domain. Are there any problems associated with this? You will have to uninstall Exchange, move to new domain. Run DomainPrep if it's not already been run in that Domain and reinstall Exchange. (Will also need to create a RUS for that Domain if it doesn't exist... ) -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "rob" <rsl315@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1133899938.081970.247960@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > He...

Microsoft exchange not available
I am trying to use a newly installed trial version of outlook 2007. My ISP is Att. I continue to get the message "microsoft exchange is unavailable". How do I correct this? > I am trying to use a newly installed trial version of outlook 2007. My > ISP is Att. I continue to get the message "microsoft exchange is > unavailable". How do I correct this? Remove Microsoft Exchange from your profile, unless you're actually trying to connect to an Exchange server. Tools - Account Settings and remove Microsoft Exchange. -- f.h. Microsoft Outlook MVP By modify...

Exchange Intelligent Message Filtering values
Hi, Just interested to know what values people are using for their IMF settings? What are your SCL ratings for: Gateway blocking configuration? Store Junk E-mail configuration? I've got it set to 9 and 8 respectivley, but i'm thinking these might be a little high? I started with 8 and 4. We were getting killed by e-mail so I needed to be agressive. After running the monitor for a couple of days I moved the Gateway down to 7. The vast majority of spam was rated an 8 with 7 a close second. I was monitoring 4-9 and close to 2/3rds was 7 or 8. My opinion - I feel it's easi...

trying to remove e-mail domain from Exchange 2003
Hello, We had a sister company operating within our office. We hosted their mail on our single Exch 2003 server. Their domain was sistercompany.com. This company moved out of our office and off of our mail system. I have deleted all of their mailboxes, AD user accounts, any reference to their domain in the recipient policies, and any entries in our dns system for their domain name. Still, when we try to send messages to these people at their new location we get an NDR that says "The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to. Check the e-mail addre...

Bulk e-mail through Front-End Server
We have an Exchange 2003 Front-End Server, and one of our departments needs to send bulk e-mails (50,000) at 5,000 a whop. This process will happen monthly (so its not a one-time deal). When they send a bulk of messages - the front end server is blogged down for 30-45 min. Any suggestions? - You would have to determine what's taking the performance hit - most likely the disks, but could also be your CPU and memory, depending upon server config. - Once you have that info, you could either upgrade that component - add more spindles (disks), upgrade to faster CPU/multiple CPUs, or add m...

Ghosted attachments with Windows 98
How do I change settings to be able to open attachments. The attachments appear to be ghosted. Hit forward, then open or save the attachment and close the message. It's a new security feature to prevent accidental opening of viruses, either by yourself or scripting. you can disable it in tools | options | security, but I think the extra effort to hit forward is safer and well worth the extra click. For more information, see http://www.omegageek.com/OESecurity.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, Visual Quick Start Guide - ...

Oulook Clients Keep Disconnecting from Exchange server
I have a remote location that has a few Outlook clients that are complaining that they keep going into offline mode or get cannot connect to the Exchange server, or get login/pass boxes in Outlook. I don't seem to have this problem with the rest of the network and since the users in question are still logged into the domain and have access to all their shared resources from the server and can still connect to the Internet I can only assume this is an Outlook - Exchange issue. If the users close outlook and re-open it that sometimes works for a bit, same with logging out and back in again...

SQL Compact 3.5 missing in VS2008proSP1
Hi, I have just tried to install / uninstall / re-install / repair SQL Server compact edition into my VS 2008 Pro SP1 My SQL Server works fine, However the compact edition does not seem to show in the datasource options at all. As a result, when I go and add a 'local database' I get an error. I have searched the net and can't seem to find a soltuion ( still searching ). Any help would be appreciated. Cheers' Miro Solved: I had to go to the cd and go to WCU\SSCE and run SSCEVSTools-enu.msi Cheers' Miro "Miro" <miro@be...

Upgrade to Exchange 2000 Enterprise or Exchange 2003?
Windows 2000 server/Exchange 2000 standard Our databases are nearly at the 16Gb limit for Exchange 2000 standard version. Was wondering: Is it better just to go for the upgrade to Exchange 2000 Enterprise version, or get Exchange 2003 Enterprise version (if the costs are not so different the company is quite willing)? Can Exchange 2003 run on Windows 2000 Server SP4? Is it true that Exchange 2003 standard will not have the 16Gb limit from this fall (read some rumour on the web)? Appreciate any advice. Jo The easiest route would be to upgrade to Exchange 2000 Enterprise, if i is still a...

Lowest 5 numbers in data base column #2
I am working with a data base where I compute a golf handicap based o each individual's lowest 5 scores from the last eight rounds played. The data are arranged in columns showing date played and score posted. Not all dates have a score for each person. Can someone provide method for determining handicap based only on the lowest 5 rounds -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Adding a Second Exchange Server
Hi, I have an Exchnage 2003 Server, Standard Edition that is at the 16GB store limits. I want to add a second Exchange 2003 Server, Enterprise Edition and then move all of the mailboxes and Public Folders and ultimately, retire the original server. Can someone comment on the best approach to do this keeping in mind the following: 1) I need my users to continue to use the exisiting Web Mail address Publicly 2) How do my client systems know about the change - do I need to create new profiles on each system? 3) How do I move Public Folders Thanks in advance for you time. Rick First I ju...

SQL Server\MSDE
When I try to open the Report Launcher I got this error message "Great Plains - SQL Server\MSDE - Accounting system is not registered" Please help! FRX Ver. 6.5 SP7 Thanks, -- Omar Ale Well, is it? If you go to Admin...Organization are the registration keys valid? "OmarAle" <OmarAle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A0BDDB9-C370-4247-83D5-F7CD1F679FB9@microsoft.com... > When I try to open the Report Launcher I got this error message > "Great Plains - SQL Server\MSDE - Accounting system is not registered" > > Please help! &...

Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 Migration #4
We have 3 different NT 4.0 domain & one Exchange 5.5 organisation with 3 different Sites. We have already completed the User ID migration from 3 NT domain to Windows 2003 AD & also install the ADC. Now we are going to Migrate mailboxes from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 & I have Installed first Exchange 2003 to first site of Exchange 5.5. Now we need to install the 2nd Exchange 2003 Server on Second Site of Exchange 5.5. I want to know whether we need to create any Routing Group on First Exchange 2003 before installing the 2nd Exchange 2003. -- Regards, Ahmad M. Zahoory E-...

Exchange user with POP3 Account
Hello All, The user has a mailbox on the Exchange2k. The MS Outlook gets his emails just fine. Supposedly. the individual has one of the SMTP addresses as listed in the AD User's properties set up with the Outlook Express. This does not make sense since if it's one single user account with multiple SMTP addresses assigned to a Mailbox, how can then Outlook Express or the Exchange Server differentiate that emails going to a particular suffix should be PULLED by the Outlook Express & not digested by the MAPI Outlook? No wonder those "meant" for the POP3 account end ...

Thunderbird+Exchange
Hello, Does anyone know how a client program connects to MS Exchange 2003? If i configure Outlook 2003, i simply have to fill in the name of the server and the mailbox name, and it connects to the mailbox. When i use Thunderbird however, i also need to specify a port number and the type of connection, i.e. NONE, SSL, TLS, ... Thunderbird won't connect and it says the server refuses the connection. Can i somehow find out what port i have to connect to? i.e. on Exchange server itself? Can you change that port? Thanks for all of your information. -- mvg, The Postman In news:q90pt250oi9pn...

What to monitor in MS Exchange 2000
I was wondering what sort of things you Exchange experts out there might recommend I should be monitoring on my Exchange 2000 in the way of the performance logs and alerts, event viewer, ram usage, etc. anything I should be checking regularly to get my baseline right and keep me aware of any future problems. Any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, There are a few basic things to see: memory, processor and disk usage and grow network trafic memory peaks (never over 80% during several seconds) event viewer (allways) smtp traffic backup logs (restore must be a norma...

Help: Error removing exchange 2000
El error es el siguiente: Setup failed while Removing Active Directory objects for SMTP Service (error 0x80005000: An invalid ADSI pathname was passed.) . 260378 XADM: How to Manually Remove an Exchange 2000 Installation http://support.microsoft.com/?id=260378 Stewart Noe Microsoft Exchange Support This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ...

Ghosts?
Anybody else seeing ~23 ghost messages when access this NG via OE? It jumps up and down, but I see it with WinMail in 7. xp.basics is even worse. "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:O7WRhLNALHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Anybody else seeing ~23 ghost messages when access this NG via OE? "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:O7WRhLNALHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Anybody else seeing ~23 ghost messages when access this NG via OE? Yes. 25 at the moment, with hacked WM in Win 7....

"Ghost" folders that aren't really ghosts
Upgraded my laptop from Win2K to XP, Office 2K to 2003 - all at once. Previous Outlook install included two profiles - one for online, one for remote. Both profiles use the same 3 PST files. Problem is - in one profile I have three "ghost" folders that aren't normal ghosts. They show up between my primary storage file and my other .PSTs - with no names and no properties that I can see. When I try to open, show properties, delete (in short, do anything) with one of these folders, I get the message "The set of folders cannot be opened." (along with other messages such a...

How to keep Exchange Server running always
I have a small business with 1 exchange server. The email is this business's life. They have less then 25 users. I have done some research and have found articles on clustering but it says you need data server or enterprise. I am looking for an easy, inexpensive way to keep their exchange system up and running. I have another server I could use if needed. I have been told about site replication but i'm not sure if that is what would be best. Thanks for any help in advance. On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 09:26:30 -0800, "Jamie" <Jamie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: ...

share address between 2 exchange sites, 2 exchange servers 2003
Hi, I have two different domains and two different exchange servers. Everything works just fine, e-mail in and out and i have created an SMTP connector between the 2 exchange servers so that they send e-mail to each other via a direct way. But i also want to see the users from domain A in domain B in the address list in outlook when i want to send an e- mail. With exchang 5.5 servers we could add a site connector and let the beast exchange its information. How can i do it ? The domains are up and running and fully operational, changing something to the domains and bring it down so t...

Exchange 5.5 and Windows 2003 AD domain
We have a NT domain with exchange 5.5 running happily. Now our head office is upgrading their NT4 domain to Win2003 AD domain and the DNS name of the domain is also changing. Our NT domain will become a OU in the new AD domain. But we are not going to mirate the exchange for now, hence we will keep the NT4 domain for some more time. Could some one point me to resources related to above solution? Our plan is to create a new OU for our office and move users from NT4 domain to AD. We will establish a TRUST between the old NT4 domain and the AD doamin so that the users migrated to AD will ...