getting addresses off exchange server

Is there anyway that someone without a valid account on an exchange server
to get a list of legitimate email addresses off an exchange server.  I
recently received spam that also had many users listed in the cc: field that
are valid addresses in our company.  What supprised me is that one of the
names was from an account for a user that doesn't really exist but was
created for a test, and wasn't used anywhere.

"David Haskell" <david_haskell@NOSPAMkyzen.com> wrote:

>Is there anyway that someone without a valid account on an exchange server
>to get a list of legitimate email addresses off an exchange server.  I
>recently received spam that also had many users listed in the cc: field that
>are valid addresses in our company.  What supprised me is that one of the
>names was from an account for a user that doesn't really exist but was
>created for a test, and wasn't used anywhere.

1. Directory  Harvesting
2. Departed Employee takes addresses with them
3. Worm
4. No Virus Scanning
5. Missing security patches.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Exchange Domain Routing
Any pointer to the following question much appreciated. We have aquired a new company and require them to adopt our SMTP domain name once everything is signed. We run Exchange 2003 and they run Exchange 2000 i.e someone@company1.com and someoneelse@company2.com Therefore during the coexistence phase they will need to generate primary smtp addresses for our domain name, and then ensure that our domain delivers mail correctly to them... is it possible to have shared smtp domain name across two different Exchange Orgs and mail delivery...? we will be migrating them into our domain eventually. ...

Exchange 2003 Load balance and cluster
We have two identical machines that we want to load balance and cluster for exchange 2003. the load balance does not want to start. any reason why? Oh yah. I guess my question is that if it is possible to run the laod balance and the cluster on the same two servers "Ashu" wrote: > We have two identical machines that we want to load balance and cluster for > exchange 2003. the load balance does not want to start. any reason why? No,does not support NLB and cluster on same machine! You should rub cluster with your exchange 2003! -- Jammyù�ٴ� "Ashu" &l...

A Crystal Beginner

Auto-forward from a mail-enabled public folder in Exchange 2003
We have a mail-enabled public folder that used to auto-forward to multiple people any-time it received email. Now that we have added an 2003 version of Exchange, that have been removed (by the installation?) and we are no longer able to auto-forward to more than a single person (using public folder properties) Is there something I am missing about how to get this set back up? ...

Question about forwarding mail to a POP3 server
I'm running exchange 2003 on SBS 2003 and have come across a difficult situation. Maybe one of you can help. Our client has the SBS inside their network and are using Outlook 2003 to interface with the Exchange server. They also have a POP3 server that sits out on the 'net. We have configured each client with an Exchange mail box as well as access to their POP3 account. When Outlook sends and receives it collects from both the local Exchange server as well as the POP3 boxes. When a user sends they use the Exchange server. Pretty straight forward so far. The challenge we ...

Get paid while you get online!!

Spreadsheet getting corrupted

Linked Servers and MemToLeave (VAS)
Hi, I know that the SQL Native Client linked server provider is an in_process provider and will use MemToLeave space. Is it the linked servers going out from the server or the linked servers coming in or both that affects MemToLeave? We still run 32_bit SQL2005 and we getting more requests for linked servers using the SQL Native Client provider. I just want to know when I have to worry about MemToLeave as we also have CLR and 3rd party products (Red Gate SQLBackup) that run in the same space. Thanks Chris VDI based backup products such as SQL Backup and others use i...

Exchange 2000 and IE Browser
Need some assitance please. We currently are using Exchange 2000. We just recently discovered that if a user is logged into the domain, that anyone could walk up to that workstation, go to the IE Browser and type in the url the dns name of our exchange server with \exchange at the end and it will pull up that users e-mail thru the browser without having to type in a user name and password. How can we prevent this from happening? Thank you for your time, Lisa In effect, when a user types \\server\exchange, he or she will see a folder mounted on the M-drive on the exchange server. The M-dr...

outlook express address book #4
Getting new computer and want everything in my address book to move to new computer. Besides email address I also have other info like people's home addresses and phone numbers and birth dates. How do I get those all to go to my new computer. I really don't want to have to retype them all. copy the .dbx file to the new machine. You will find several. Also, please note, This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97-2003 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress f...

catch all mail to invalid addresses
We want to have all mail that is incorrectly addressed to the domain to go to one person, not have an NDR sent out. I see that this is not possible in Exchange 2000, how about in Exchange 2003? Thanks, Neal Hi this KB is for Exchange 2000 and Exchange 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324021 Nebojsa Seslija "Neal" <neal_@_ap0yar_dot_co_dot_nz> wrote in message news:OFAvGWxOFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > We want to have all mail that is incorrectly addressed to the domain to go > to one person, not have an NDR sent out. > > I see that this is...

Get notified when Out of Office is on

How do I get??

Getting Control ID in Active X control

Server error in '/' Application 08-16-03
When I want to save some information (web based) like a quick Contact, I receive the following error: Server Error in '/' application. A potentially dangerous Request.Form value was detected from the client ............ anyone an idea ? Thx Hi Everyone, I was having the same error when trying to edit my Business Unit(New Install). I tried your suggested fix but now I cannot open the CRM app from the browser (server nor client) It opens up the IIS default page. How can I correct this? Help!!! Thanks, Jaime >-----Original Message----- >You need to uninstall the 1.1 .N...

Exchnage server 2000 unable to retrieve mail received on server
I am brand new to Advanced Server 2k and Exchange 2k but I have completed a set up of both. My problem is that I can send e-mail to my address and it arrives at the server (I can see this in the System Manager) I can successfully (according to my logs) log into the server using Outlook 2003 using pop3 account settings. But i dont see any e-mail. Further to this I can log into my Outlook Web Access and send an e-mail to myself (or any other user on the server) but I cant see those E-mail in OWA or Outlook client. I am able to send e-mail to the outside world with no problems or errors using b...

Compare Addresses
Please Help. :-) I have two tables that have two fields of addresses. I want to create a query that can campare the first 5 charecters of these fields only. For example, 1223 Back Street and 1223 Back St. shouldn't be executed because they are the same. I don't want to go through my table and replace Street with St. Table 1 ----------- Name Address1 Table2 --------- Name Address2 Thank you in advance for your help! -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200703/1 Create a query with the 2 tables, and no join line ...