Garbled characters when opening emails sent as attachments

On exchange 2003 SP2.  Got a weird problem.  The user is unable to view
emails that are sent as attachments. He can not view them using OWA nor can
he view them using the outlook client. If he opens and email attachment it
eithers opens up with no text in it or opens with no readable characters.

I emailed the user 3 emails with attachments that were in emails, in html,
rich text and plain text format. They were all received. This did not
replicate the problem.

A colleague in his department forwarded them on and he could open them.
Both the forwarder and the client are on outlook 2003.

I thought it might be an encoding issue.  As yet I don't know if the sender
uses a mac or not.

I found a ms article that looked promising
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836555
but couldn't see anything relevant.

My next move was to try sending emails as attachments from Entourage on a
mac.  My first problem is replicating the issue.

Does anybody have any other suggestions?  I have the headers from the
offending message but I was reluctant to post them for fear of spam
harvesting.

0
umbletech (2)

spoke to the user.  The attached emails won't display at home or at work.  It
also happens intermittently with internal and external users.

I'm wondering about mailbox corruption.  Is there any way to run integrity
checks against a single mailbox - I don't want to mess with the entire store
database if possible.  Our backups are scheduled so that the online DB
maintenance has time to run so I doubt corruption of the entire store or
storage group is likely.

The only other thought I had was maybe an intermittent network issue.
Anyone seen a dodgey switch cause this?
0
umbletech (2)

Excel document not opening
I recently had a hard drive go sour on me. I was however able to pull the documents off the drive. On one of the files I try to bring up I get an error saying "unable to read file". It sounds like it is corrupt to me. Does anybody know any workarounds to be able to get this document running or at least pull the data off and try to import it into a new document? Thanks in advance, Steve Steve Try recovermyfiles.com for their utility. This will recover lost Office documents. There was a free copy on the December edition of PCPlus magazine in the UK t...

AA min/max character settings and not allow special characters
In the AA Transaction Dimension setup, there needs to be a setting for min/max characters and it should also not allow special characters by default. What has happend to my client on more than one occassion is that a user adds a new trx dim code with either a special character, a space or an extra digit - this breaks the link to GL accounts between FRx and GL. Since the setup wizard for FRx/AA requires you setup up a maximum number of characters for each trx dim - GP should require the same - plus allow a minimum restriction as well so the company can establish a consistant coding sc...

One Name
Is there a way that I can associate several email addresses with one CONTACT name so that, when I put the name into an email address line, several addresses will automatically appear. It seems that for email1, email2, etc., the name must be clicked on for once for each address. Thank you. Is there some reason you can't use Outlook's autocompletion feature? You can also use autoresolution by typing part of the name and hitting Ctrl-K. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "its_my_dime" <its_my_dime@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uAsX6kL$JHA.5040@TK2MSFTNGP04.ph...

Choosing Mail applet does not open Inbox
Using Outlook 2003, and Windows XP Pro with SP2.. If I have an applet (not sure if that is the right word for the different tasks of Outlook) other than "Mail" selected in the left pane, such as "Calendar", and then I click on "Mail", I would expect it to go to my Inbox. But instead, "Personal Folders" is selected in the Folder pane, and in the main pane I see "Personal Folders-Outlook Today", same as when one first opens Outlook. I then have to click "Inbox" in the folder pane to open my inbox. It is fine to have "Person...

Why do my charts not opening correctly ?
I have a document that was originally done in the previous version Excel. When I open it up on the newer version of Excel, my charts do not look correct. When I go back to my XP machine, the charts are correct. Hi Yvonne, The truth - because you are in a different version. -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "Yvonne Hawkins" wrote: > I have a document that was originally done in the previous version Excel. > When I open it up on the newer version of Excel, my charts do not look > correct. When I go back to my XP machine, the charts are correct. I hesitate to an...

Opening hyperlinks with macro??
Hi, im not too great at excel so was wondering if anyone out there could help me. I cant really say what this is actually for, but ill give you the main idea. Every day, i generate a long list of hyperlinks in excel which i have to open and check. Obviously as there are so many, it takes a long time to open one, check it, close it, open the next, etc, scrolling down all the time. I was wondering if there was any way, by use of macros or otherwise, that i could open all the links together automatically so i wouldnt have to keep going back to excel. Any help anyone can give me would be ve...

How do I send a lot of emails simply?
I need to be able to send a whole bunch of emails. I'd like a simple way to do that. But I've got two simple requirements: 1) I don't want to compromise any recipient's privacy. (In other words, I don't want the others who are receiving the email message to see anyone's email address - except possibly mine and their own.) 2) I don't want to blind-carbon-copy (BCC) them, because that significantly increases the odds of the email getting flagged as Junk mail or Spam. Can this be done in Outlook? If not, what program(s) would I need in order to accomplish t...

Outlook link opens two browsers
Using OL 2003, when I click on a web link within a mail message I get two browsers that open with the same page. I used to get 1 browser and a window asking for the executable file to open in, I specified IE and now, 2 browsers!! Does anyone know how to get it back to one? This does not happen when I click a link in OL Express, or Firefox. Thanks, Lars ...

garbled fonts in email body text
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC Email Client: Exchange I tried deleting those two files in the User>Library>Caches and restarted but this has not fixed my problem. Any other suggestions? <br> primebowler <FONT FACE="Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE='font-size:11pt'>On 11/19/09 6:31 AM, in article <a href="59babf3a.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0">59babf3a.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0</a>, &quot;<a href="primebowleri@officeformac.com">primebowleri@officeformac....

How do I forward incoming email to only one user
I need to forward all email from a particular external address to one mailbox only. I know how to do it it in outlook, is there a way to create a similar rule on the exchange server. What version do you have? -- Jorge Patricio D�az Guzm�n MCP http://www.itpro.cl "Stuart Reicher" <StuartReicher@discussions.microsoft.com> escribi� en el mensaje news:E5628AB9-3FD9-4FED-A024-EC2CD53D66CE@microsoft.com... >I need to forward all email from a particular external address to one >mailbox > only. I know how to do it it in outlook, is there a way to create a > si...

Didn't attach file
Not sure how to attach a file with this system. "Dot Appleman" <appleman@achamp.gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote in message news:cf5d01c3ba82$9f769750$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Not sure how to attach a file with this system. DON'T! Explain your problem sensibly and you don't need to attach files. Attachments are frowned upon and most people won't look at them anyway. Good, there is a reason for this, most people won't open files due to virus risk, it also clogs up servers all over the world. If you want someone to look at file you can put it somewhere to be downloaded ...

Can VBA open a form in an already open database?
I am able to use the OpenCurrentDatabse method to open a new instance of an existing database and then open a form within that database. However, if the database I am interested in is already open, is there a way to open a form in the existing instance of that (already open) database? Thanks. NB. The VBA code being executed exists in one database, and the form in a different database. If the database you are opening is not opened in exclusive mode, you should be able to open it. Are you having problems with it? -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP "billelev" wrote: > I a...

Error sending email and editing email's body
I have the following function Private Sub SendEmail_Click() Dim strSubject As String Dim strEmailList As String Dim strMessage As String Dim strMessage2 As String On Error GoTo Err_SendEmail_Click strSubject = "Please investigate" & " " & [Ticket #] strEmailList = "JohnDoe@emailaddess.com " strMessage = Me.Text_Description strMessage2 = "Assign to:" DoCmd.SendObject acSendNoObject, , acFormatRTF, strEmailList, , , strSubject, strMessage, strMessage2 Exit_SendEmail_Click: Exit Sub Err_SendEmail_Click: ...

Macro loop opening files in folder successivly
Hey guys Her is my little challenge: Filename (example): c:\Aplications\Report\ReportA.xls - containing a "main macro" opening the files (below) one by one, copy data from them and paste into the ReportA.xls. c:\Aplications\Report\user\aaa.xls c:\Aplications\Report\user\bbb.xls c:\Aplications\Report\user\ccc.xls c:\Aplications\Report\user\ddd.xls etc Main Macro: Sub Main () ' Preparing Start 'Copying from users aaa bbb ccc 'Calculating and formatting general report Stop End sub My sub usermacros - placed in the main file - open the user files respec...

Word wrap mode and space character
Hi, I have created derived CEdit box class, instance is created from resource. In resource I have set attributes: Multiline=TRUE, AutoHScroll=FALSE, AutoVScroll=FALSE . All is working but I need adjusted behaviour in word wrap. I have set width of my edit box resource to accept 8 characters of Courier font. Default behaviour: When line in edit box is filled with non-space 8 characters and after it I press space, this space does not appear in next line and cursor remains on first line. But this space appears in end of text buffer - I see it in memory. I must press space again to see it in...

Email template insert data fields into subject line.
Hello, Is there a way to insert data fields into the subject line in email templates? I would like to add a case number so our customers can see it in the Subject line. Thanks, Steve ...

when i open a file a new excel window opens. how do stop this
When I go to file / open and try to open an existing file (or a new one for that matter) a new window of excel opens. How can I keep the file I want opened within the excel window I am working in. Tools|Options|View|clear the checkbox for Windows in taskbar -- Carlos "susan" <susan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D73AC2D-492D-42E3-A185-73154AB82EAF@microsoft.com... > When I go to file / open and try to open an existing file (or a new one > for > that matter) a new window of excel opens. How can I keep the file I want > opened within the exce...

Change default for opening Outlook 2007
I don't want to go into the inbox when opening Outlook. I want to go into the calendar. I searched and found Microsoft's suggestion at: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA010347711033.aspx but I kept getting an error that the target I had typed was not valid. How can I go directly into the Calendar portion of Outlook without going into the inbox? Start Outlook and then select Tools | Options | Other tab | Advanced Options button | Browse button to set what folder you want Outlook to show first when starting. "marriedhsdad" <marriedhsdad@discussion...

email address impersonation
Is there any way to have Exchange 2003 reject "smtp impersonation" -- the ability to have an inbound email impersonate an internal sender? Thanks! Digitally signing a message is one way to avoid spoofing of emails. See http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2305405C-FAF1-488A-A856-AD467BB59B26&displaylang=en for details. Paul -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Dan Calvin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9cf601c4343c$5f121840$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Is there ...

outlook and attachments
recently, i have been advised that attachments to e mails sent by myself, have not been received by the recipients. i have tried to correct this situation by: 1. disabling the anti virus software 2. reloading office XP small business software. 3. exporting and reimporting pst files. No success i have not (well to the best of my knowledge) changed any of my e mail settings. anybody had a similar experience and if so what needs to be done to correct this issue. thanks mel Check tools, Options, Mail Format and make sure that you're not set to rich text format. change to HTML or Pla...

Automated email sent to user when mailfile becomes to large
How can I configured Exchange 2003 SP1 to send out an email to users when their mailfiles reach a certain size? (say 200MB) I dont want to use quotas, could this be done with a script of some kind ???? This can be done through the limits tab of the database stores. Teo "D Dent" wrote: > How can I configured Exchange 2003 SP1 to send out an email to users when > their mailfiles reach a certain size? (say 200MB) I dont want to use quotas, > could this be done with a script of some kind ???? ...

Can't Open or Modify Contacts
I'm using Outlook 2003 & when I click on a Contact it does not open to allow me to view or modify the details. Any suggestions? Some more trouble shooting... did it ever work? what hapened between when it did and now doesn't work? Tell all - we don't have esp. what message do you get when you try now? what add-ins do you run? do you synchronise with any devices? Regards Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook in Canberra, Australia "Howard Foster" <HowardFoster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A5531DE-249D-4277-843A-B0DC4D7E6330@micro...

Garbled Sound
What's goin on? When I'm playing tunes, whenever some program is having any activity at all, my WMP11 tracks are all garbled! Are you running Windows Vista? Does the following link help you out? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/How-do-I-stop-my-music-from-skipping-or-breaking-up-when-I-play-it Regards -- Tim De Baets http://www.bm-productions.tk DavotheHippie wrote: > What's goin on? When I'm playing tunes, whenever some program is having any > activity at all, my WMP11 tracks are all garbled! ...

riched20.dll problem, cant send email
Everytime I try to send an email, I get Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. Error signature is as follows: AppName: outlook.exe AppVer: 10.0.6822.0 ModName: riched20.dll ModVer: 5.40.11.2220 Offset: 00009420 I have googled the dll and have tried MS recommend of renaming it to .old and then repairing Outlook. Hasn't helped at all. Would appreciate any help I can get. ...

Open an SCV file
On some computers, if I open the *.csv file it opens correctly in Excel as I import it in Excel, but on other computers I have to open the Excel and import data... *.csv file. Please tell me if there is an option in Excel to set this. Many thanks, Ciprian SABAU System Engineer & Network Administrator BUNGE Romania It sounds like an international setting difference. English versions of excel, ..CSV files mean comma separated values. I think I would look at one of the offending pc's. Create a new worksheet in a new workbook and add some test data. Then File|SaveAs scroll down u...