Full Exchange System Restore

I wanted to confirm some steps with a full restore of Exchange 2003
I run Exchange Server 2003 SP1, on a host running Windows Server 2003 SP0.
I use backup exec 10.1 and run full system backups and database backups.  I
read that after a full system restore, one should run the exchange setup with
the /disasterrecovery switch for the exchange install and each exchange
service pack.
My question is since the full system backup will bring the system back to a
Exchange SP1 level, do I need to run the exchange setup with the
/disasterrecovery switch both for the initial setup as well as the SP1? or do
I just need to run the SP1 setup with the /disasterrecovery switch?
It seems a little odd that I should bring the Exchange SP1 install (after
the full system restore) back to non service pack install, and SP1 again, but
maybe it has to be this way to ensure proper restore?

Appreciate feedback.

thanks.
0
mc123 (4)

In order to recover Exchange, you do need to run the /disasterrecovery
switch for both installation and SP1. The first instance pulls Exchange
configuration from Active Directory and installs the binaries onto the
recovered server. The SP1 installation with the /disasterrecovery switch
updates the binaries in the same matter. Hope this helps.

--
Chris Calderon
"mc123" <mc123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I wanted to confirm some steps with a full restore of Exchange 2003
> I run Exchange Server 2003 SP1, on a host running Windows Server 2003 SP0.
> I use backup exec 10.1 and run full system backups and database backups.
> read that after a full system restore, one should run the exchange setup
> with
> the /disasterrecovery switch for the exchange install and each exchange
> service pack.
> My question is since the full system backup will bring the system back to
> Exchange SP1 level, do I need to run the exchange setup with the
> /disasterrecovery switch both for the initial setup as well as the SP1? or
> do
> I just need to run the SP1 setup with the /disasterrecovery switch?
> It seems a little odd that I should bring the Exchange SP1 install (after
> the full system restore) back to non service pack install, and SP1 again,
> but
> maybe it has to be this way to ensure proper restore?
>
> Appreciate feedback.
>
> thanks.

0
ctcald (4)
4/24/2007 3:25:14 AM
So this is even after a full system restore has been done which includes all
Exchange binaries with SP1?

Thanks.

"Chris Calderon" wrote:

> In order to recover Exchange, you do need to run the /disasterrecovery
> switch for both installation and SP1. The first instance pulls Exchange
> configuration from Active Directory and installs the binaries onto the
> recovered server. The SP1 installation with the /disasterrecovery switch
> updates the binaries in the same matter. Hope this helps.
>
> --
> Chris Calderon
> "mc123" <mc123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I wanted to confirm some steps with a full restore of Exchange 2003
> > I run Exchange Server 2003 SP1, on a host running Windows Server 2003 SP0.
> > I use backup exec 10.1 and run full system backups and database backups.
> > read that after a full system restore, one should run the exchange setup
> > with
> > the /disasterrecovery switch for the exchange install and each exchange
> > service pack.
> > My question is since the full system backup will bring the system back to
> > Exchange SP1 level, do I need to run the exchange setup with the
> > /disasterrecovery switch both for the initial setup as well as the SP1? or
> > do
> > I just need to run the SP1 setup with the /disasterrecovery switch?
> > It seems a little odd that I should bring the Exchange SP1 install (after
> > the full system restore) back to non service pack install, and SP1 again,
> > but
> > maybe it has to be this way to ensure proper restore?
> >
> > Appreciate feedback.
> >
> > thanks.

0
mc123 (4)
4/24/2007 5:38:01 AM
Honestly, it's been a while since using backup exec 10.1, so I'm not sure of
the requirements for Symantec (Veritas). It's always difference when using
third-party tools and probably best to check with the manufacture. From a
general Microsoft Recovery Procedure, this is the recommended practice. If
you are putting 100% faith on the current backup solution, I'd recommended
testing the recovery processes.

You can always reference the Exchange DR Guide to build a trustworthy
recovery process for all scenarios (RSG, DialTone, etc.). RSG's are great to
validate restoring from tape if you cannot perform a full test system
restore.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/c/f/ecf905be-a696-49f1-b9cc-28aeca316eec/DROpsGuide.doc

--
> So this is even after a full system restore has been done which includes
> all
> Exchange binaries with SP1?
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Chris Calderon" wrote:
>
>> In order to recover Exchange, you do need to run the /disasterrecovery
>> switch for both installation and SP1. The first instance pulls Exchange
>> configuration from Active Directory and installs the binaries onto the
>> recovered server. The SP1 installation with the /disasterrecovery switch
>> updates the binaries in the same matter. Hope this helps.
>>
>> --
>> Chris Calderon
>> "mc123" <mc123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I wanted to confirm some steps with a full restore of Exchange 2003
>> > I run Exchange Server 2003 SP1, on a host running Windows Server 2003
>> > SP0.
>> > I use backup exec 10.1 and run full system backups and database
>> > backups.
>> > read that after a full system restore, one should run the exchange
>> > setup
>> > with
>> > the /disasterrecovery switch for the exchange install and each exchange
>> > service pack.
>> > My question is since the full system backup will bring the system back
>> > Exchange SP1 level, do I need to run the exchange setup with the
>> > /disasterrecovery switch both for the initial setup as well as the SP1?
>> > or
>> > do
>> > I just need to run the SP1 setup with the /disasterrecovery switch?
>> > It seems a little odd that I should bring the Exchange SP1 install
>> > (after
>> > the full system restore) back to non service pack install, and SP1
>> > again,
>> > but
>> > maybe it has to be this way to ensure proper restore?
>> >
>> > Appreciate feedback.
>> >
>> > thanks.

0
ctcald (4)

Outlook as alternate to Exchange CALs??
Microsoft's web site states on the How To Buy exchange=20 page that "Each Exchange 2003 CAL also includes Microsoft=20 Office Outlook=AE 2003". I have also heard rumors that if=20 you already of Outlook 2003 (i.e. as part of having Office=20 2003 Enterprise), then you don't need an Exchange CAL for=20 that machine, similar to not need to have a Terminal=20 Services CAL if your fat-client is running Windows XP. =20 Has anybody else heard any such thing? Thanks in=20 anticipation.=20 The way we understand it is that the Exchange CAL gives you the right to run Outlook as yo...

odd exchange NDR, something about DNS error, but recipients are local
Hi, Some of my users, who are using using outlook XP 2002 are getting a non-delivery reciept from the local exchange server, when they try to send to certain users. It seems that reinstalling outlook solves the problem for a while, before it re-occurs. Someimes the user cannot send any messages to any users, local or remote, and sometime its just a few local users. I have removed the .pst files from outlook on the problem machines, and removed the outlook mailbox, and then stoped and started outlook, and added them in again. I've even deleted the mail profile from the machine (a wi...

Exchange shows disconnect
Hello all, I have a weird exchange issue. We have 5 users trying to logon to one of our exchange servers. The server will only allow 4 at a time. Is this a license issue or a session setting that I can change? Any feedback would be great! Thanks! On Tue, 23 May 2006 07:31:01 -0700, Moose <Moose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello all, > >I have a weird exchange issue. We have 5 users trying to logon to one of >our exchange servers. The server will only allow 4 at a time. Is this a >license issue or a session setting that I can change? Any feedback w...

few confusing things about Full-Text Search queries
hi I=92ve started learning FULL-TEXT Search queries ( using Sql server 2008 ) and I did try to find the answers to my questions by running various queries and see how they behave, but then not even the simplest of queries returned the results I=92ve expected, so=85 1) From Msdn: =93<simple_term> - Specifies a match for an exact word or a phrase. Examples of valid simple terms are "blue berry", blueberry, and "Microsoft SQL Server". Phrases should be enclosed in double quotation marks (""). Words in a phrase must appear in the same order ...

Exchange Administrator Rights
I have taken over a network and need to make a bunch of permission changes to some users calendars. I have tried opening these mailboxes using my login, the domain admin login, and a login for a user named Exadmin. All with no success. I'm not sure what the last administrator did. How do I tell which account has FULL access to exchange and all of the mailboxes so that I can login and make the security changes? Thanks! In Exchange System Manager under your Administrative Group or Organization you should be able to run the delegation wizard to give the correct account Exchange Full...

URGENT: Restoring Exchange 2003 backup
Hello all, Just recently we created a backup of our company's information store on Exchange 2003 and reinstalled our domain and exchange servers. As one could imagine it is imposible for us to retrieve any of the mailboxes in the bacup file (we used microsoft backup that comes with windows 2003 server). We would be grateful for any help related to the problem in question (a step by step procedure would be most helpful). BR, GAZ Was your backup a full online Exchange database backup or did you just make a hard copy of the DB files? When you reinstalled the Exchange server did y...

Exchange Router for CRM 3
Hey, I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction in terms of setting up exchange router for crm. I am trying to set up a queue for my firm. Basically any email sent to the address "support@company.com" should create a new activity in CRM and go to the CRM support queue as well. I would really appreciate any assistance as I am new to the CRM exchange router component The instructions in the Implementation Guide are pretty helpful, except that I have found they seem to have left out one step which is essential: After you create the Support account in Active Di...

hard drive too full after reinstalling XP
For numerous reasons, I did a full reinstall from XP Pro on up. There were two partitions, one that had a significant amount of data and one miniscule. I kept the partitions and wiped out the old info and loaded the new - at least that's what the windows were walking me through "Warning this will wipe out all previous versions...." To make a long story short, I have completely restored the laptop with minimal programs. All the Microsoft updates including SP3, have been loaded. When I went to check my disk usage in "my computer" the disk is half full! How is...

how do I restore background grid in Excel?
rSomehow users have managed to remove the background grid in an excel worksheet? Desired (printable) grids are set by borders. Cannot seem to get these turkeys to use "clear contents" rather than other removal choices (delete). How can I restore these grids. Hi Tools>Options>Gridlines Regards Roger Govier roopuppy wrote: > rSomehow users have managed to remove the background grid in an excel > worksheet? Desired (printable) grids are set by borders. Cannot seem to get > these turkeys to use "clear contents" rather than other removal choices &...

white spaces in exchange 5.5
Does any one know how to use performance monitor to view how much white space is on an exchange 5.5 server? On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 18:07:02 -0800, Arthur <Arthur @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >Does any one know how to use performance monitor to view how much white >space is on an exchange 5.5 server? > "eseutil /ms" will give a detailed account of the free space. Events 1221 will give you the minimum amount to be recovered. More Info: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;186291&Product=ech "XADM: Cannot Determine Free Spa...

Help Please
Hello, We cannot access Exchange. Relevant error log entries pasted below. I've tried the following: 1. Disabled Symantec AV real time protection. 2. Stopped and restarted all Exchange services. 3. Rebooted the server. 4. Still not working, I tried to stop all Exchange services again, they would not stop. 5. Disabled Symantec Mail Security scanning, virus & filter policies. Small Business Server 2000, Exchange Service Pack 3 (i think..) The following are from Application log: Source: ESE Event ID: 486 2:31 AM Information Store (4340) An attempt to move the file "G:\Exchsrv...

Outlook full
How do I lower the size of outlook.pst after I near the 2 gig limit? I permanently deleted files but did not affect the size of .pst very much. Can you split up the .pst into smaller batches? A .pst for each year perhaps? >-----Original Message----- >How do I lower the size of outlook.pst after I near the 2 >gig limit? I permanently deleted files but did not >affect the size of .pst very much. >. > >How do I lower the size of outlook.pst after I near the 2 gig limit? I >permanently deleted files but did not affect the size of .pst very >much. Hav...

Bad Restore Files
When i restore files only restore files from the last month (May) but the emails from june don't appears!!! I tried view all pst files that i found in my pc but i don't find anything. How did you restore and where from? Was your backup current? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "edward" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:214f701c45a72$722e8740$a401280a@phx.gbl... > When i restore files only restore files from th...

Exchange roles
At out Exchange 2003 Org level I found a couple account with Exchange view only administrator (customized). How to create such customized role and how can I view what has been customized? Thanks. Just want to add a couple things. I tested in my lab. At Org level I assigned a user with Exchange view only administrator role using Delegate Control wizard. Then go to Security, Advanced. Add a few more functions such as create public folders, send as, etc. Then Apply. But when I run Delegate Control wizard at Org level it still shows view only. Nothing with (customized). "Chr...

Exchange calendar update tool; msextmzcfg nonexistent users
Hi all, I already ran the setup msextmzcfg successfully, but have not run the batch yet. I have like half of my user mailboxes logged in the Mailboxes_1.txt and the other half in the NonExistent.txt. If i run the batch, it will only fix those in mailboxes_1.txt as i know. How do i fix those in nonexistent.txt and how come i have active users in the nonexistent.txt recorded as not have Time Zone Information. Any idea? Thanks for your time. I ran into the same scenario...all you need to do is copy and paste the valid users from nonexistent.txt into mailboxes_1.txt and append the appr...

Exchange account
I create an exchange email account to function as a help desk where users send email for help. Can I display that INBOX like a newsgroup type of view where I can contrast or explnd to see the original and all replies to that email? Thanks, Raul Rego NJPIES "Raul" <jjkgr@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eKqaiiU8KHA.2248@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I create an exchange email account to function as a help desk where users >send email for help. > > Can I display that INBOX like a newsgroup type of view where I can contrast > or explnd to ...

Best Practice to Upgrade HD for Exchange 2003
We are looking to upgrade the hard drives for an Exchange 2003 server. They DB (only) is currently on IDE running a soft mirror with second drive and the new install would be a SCSI setup. We also have a remote backup of DB offsite so my first question would be... - After the SCSI installation is complete, could i just rename the drive to the original setup, restore the DB from my remote storage and go home early? -or Does Exchange require some special configuration before of after the change? -anything I should be aware of? Also, I was thinking of going to SATA way but according to a Dell t...

Exchange traffic monitoring
We used to have an exchange 5.5 organization with message transfer in a hub and spoke topology. In the past I was able to use performance monitoring on the hub server to watch messages coming in and going out from the MTA. Now that we're in exchange 2003, we are using a mesh of routing groups. How can I watch the message traffic in performance monitor for a single server? ...

Exchange 2003 SP2 + Security Updates = OWA Problems
Hi guys! I wonder if anyone can shed any light on why whenever I install the latest patches on my Exchange 2003 server, the OWA stops working and users receive a: SERVICE NOT WORKING message when going to the web page. Add/Remove programs and uninstall the latest security updates and it works again. Is this a common problem? Does anyone have any fixes? I don't want to put on SP2 until I work out why it is doing it. Cheers in advance for any help. Andy On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 08:11:07 -0800, "Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi guys! > >I w...

migration errors from exchange 2000 to exchange 2003
I wanted to migrate from win2k to win2k3 and exchange 2k to exchange 2k3. 1) I build 2 servers totally independent to each other (inter-forest) server A has win2k & Exchange 2k server B has win2k3 & Exchange 2k3. 2) Created domain trusts between Server A & Server B 3) Ran password migration on server B 4) Registered the Password dll on Server A 5) changed values in registry for password migration on Server A. 6) Successful to migrate accounts from Win2k to Win2k3. or 7) Successful to migrate mailboxes from Ex2k to Ex2k3. 8) i can migrate account user1 from win2k to win2k3...

"Contact list full" Error message, but contact list is not full.
Hi, I am trying to add a new contact and it keeps saying my contact list is full (I have around 100 people on there). I delete people and still get the same message, I have even delete people out of my network on windows live, but still the same. I have had this problem for a couple of days now. Anyone help? Greetings Charles, This is an on-going problem over the past few days, and unsure what exactly is going on. However, you are certainly not alone. -- Jonathan Kay Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger MessengerGeek Blog: http://...

how do I know if my Exchange server is an open proxy?
Hi, all: Looks like my email server is on the blacklist. How do i know if my exchange server2003 is an open proxy. How to close it if so.. Thanks Telnet to your Exchange server's smtp port and try to send an email to an external domain. Or go to http://www.abuse.net/relay.html and test. By default, Exchange 200x servers are configured to deny relaying. You can check the settings in Exchange System Manager by going to smtp virtual server properties | Access tab | Relay. ("Only the list below" and "Allow all computers which successfully authenticate to relay regardles...

Exchange Activesync
I am really beginning to feel stupid. I have SBS2003 with ISA2004. Everything is fine. I have loaded Blackberry Professional Server and am happily running with 6 Blckberry's syncing wirelessly. When it comes to Activesync thoguh, I CANNOT figure out how to start, where to to find management tools, how to setup or manage windows smartphones, Iphones, Droids, Treos. I have read so many articles but CANNOT find ONE that simply walks me through setting it up or even how to launch a management console, if one exists. I am happy to learn technical things, although I am somewh...

is the info in AD or Exchange?
Hi, Is the existence and location of mailboxes kept in AD or in Exchange? So if, for example a user's mailbox location was changed and then Exchange restored with a backup done before the move - will it work? Will the mailbox be moved back to the old location or will the restore fail? Thanks, Peter On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:58:17 +0700, Peter Kaufman <peterkhub-usenet@yahoo.ca> wrote: >Hi, > >Is the existence and location of mailboxes kept in AD or in Exchange? >So if, for example a user's mailbox location was changed and then >Exchange restored with a backup don...

EXCHANGE SMTP HOLE
All, I fear there is an SMTP hole- I have relay turned off and still can send a message with an RCPT TO:<"Email@email.com"> and it passes it. No other relay testing shows success EXECT this method. anyone have info- would be grateful. Server is EXCH 2000 SP3 + rollup 3a. Thomas Burns Hello Thomas Exchange 2000 is not open for relay by default. List the settings that you have set for Relay. Are you doing the telnet from the Exchange server itself or are you testing from another machine? Michael Barta [MSFT] Microsoft Exchange Support Please do not send e-mail directly...