Free space size of Information store discrepancy in Event viewer

Hi Runnning Exchange 5.5 sr2 on Windows 2000 server. The Hard drive that
Exchange is on is 30 GB.
I do an offline backup nightly so i stop the services do the backup and then
start.  When starting I get message in Event Viewer:  Event ID 1216  Private
Information store is limited to 16 GB.
Ok this is fine the size of priv.edb is currently 7.42 GB.

Now i notice that during an online defrag I am getting the following
message:  ID 1221, Private information store has 519 of free space.

So as you see that doesn't add up 16 - 7.42 GB should leave more than 519 MB
or free space or atleast i am hoping it does or I am in big trouble.

As said i was under the impression we could a private information store
database (which i always thought was priv.edb) of up to 16 GB.

Can anyone let me know what is going on?

Thanks in advance.

0
dh1 (5)

the event 1221 is telling you how much whitespace (empty space) there is in
the database...

"DH" <DH@dh.com> wrote in message
> Hi Runnning Exchange 5.5 sr2 on Windows 2000 server. The Hard drive that
> Exchange is on is 30 GB.
> I do an offline backup nightly so i stop the services do the backup and
then
> start.  When starting I get message in Event Viewer:  Event ID 1216
Private
> Information store is limited to 16 GB.
> Ok this is fine the size of priv.edb is currently 7.42 GB.
>
> Now i notice that during an online defrag I am getting the following
> message:  ID 1221, Private information store has 519 of free space.
>
> So as you see that doesn't add up 16 - 7.42 GB should leave more than 519
MB
> or free space or atleast i am hoping it does or I am in big trouble.
>
> As said i was under the impression we could a private information store
> database (which i always thought was priv.edb) of up to 16 GB.
>
> Can anyone let me know what is going on?
>
> Thanks in advance.

0
susan7353 (1225)
10/7/2004 3:19:14 PM
Ahhh thanks Susan.  I think i see it clearly now and panicked.
Basically the private IS can expand up to 16 GB.  If I do on Offline defrag
then the white space would be reclaimed and reflected on the hard drive.
Correct?

Bottom line i am safe.

Thanks again.
"Susan" <susan@nospam.com> wrote in message
> the event 1221 is telling you how much whitespace (empty space) there is
in
> the database...
>
> "DH" <DH@dh.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Runnning Exchange 5.5 sr2 on Windows 2000 server. The Hard drive that
> > Exchange is on is 30 GB.
> > I do an offline backup nightly so i stop the services do the backup and
> then
> > start.  When starting I get message in Event Viewer:  Event ID 1216
> Private
> > Information store is limited to 16 GB.
> > Ok this is fine the size of priv.edb is currently 7.42 GB.
> >
> > Now i notice that during an online defrag I am getting the following
> > message:  ID 1221, Private information store has 519 of free space.
> >
> > So as you see that doesn't add up 16 - 7.42 GB should leave more than
519
> MB
> > or free space or atleast i am hoping it does or I am in big trouble.
> >
> > As said i was under the impression we could a private information store
> > database (which i always thought was priv.edb) of up to 16 GB.
> >
> > Can anyone let me know what is going on?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

0
dh1 (5)
10/7/2004 3:26:36 PM
yes, that is correct, but for that little space, I would not
bother...Exchange is very good at reusing whitespace...

"DH" <DH@dh.com> wrote in message
> Ahhh thanks Susan.  I think i see it clearly now and panicked.
> Basically the private IS can expand up to 16 GB.  If I do on Offline
defrag
> then the white space would be reclaimed and reflected on the hard drive.
> Correct?
>
> Bottom line i am safe.
>
> Thanks again.
> "Susan" <susan@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > the event 1221 is telling you how much whitespace (empty space) there is
> in
> > the database...
> >
> > "DH" <DH@dh.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi Runnning Exchange 5.5 sr2 on Windows 2000 server. The Hard drive
that
> > > Exchange is on is 30 GB.
> > > I do an offline backup nightly so i stop the services do the backup
and
> > then
> > > start.  When starting I get message in Event Viewer:  Event ID 1216
> > Private
> > > Information store is limited to 16 GB.
> > > Ok this is fine the size of priv.edb is currently 7.42 GB.
> > >
> > > Now i notice that during an online defrag I am getting the following
> > > message:  ID 1221, Private information store has 519 of free space.
> > >
> > > So as you see that doesn't add up 16 - 7.42 GB should leave more than
> 519
> > MB
> > > or free space or atleast i am hoping it does or I am in big trouble.
> > >
> > > As said i was under the impression we could a private information
store
> > > database (which i always thought was priv.edb) of up to 16 GB.
> > >
> > > Can anyone let me know what is going on?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.

0
susan7353 (1225)

Mailbox STore dismounting
I have E2K3 SP2. Every other day the information store dismounts and has to be mounted. The size is around 17GB. Any clue has to what can be causing this? I've done various analysis and have not found anything. On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 06:36:02 -0700, D. Young <DYoung@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have E2K3 SP2. Every other day the information store dismounts and has to >be mounted. The size is around 17GB. Any clue has to what can be causing >this? I've done various analysis and have not found anything. Events in the app log? Is this standard or enterprise? ...

Is there a relationship between mailbox size...
.... and the time that outlook and outlook express takes to load? Is there a reason why they both take long (~30sec) to load in winxp? Thanks MP PS I'v done checkes on a nuber of PC's in my office environment and the same applies yes, but large is in the range of 500 megs. if you are using messenger integration, disable it - that will slow it down. Michael Persaud wrote: > ... and the time that outlook and outlook express takes to load? > > Is there a reason why they both take long (~30sec) to load in winxp? > > > Thanks > MP > > PS I'v d...

You a 7-Day FREE Trial
We Are Offering You a 7-Day FREE Trial to the internet's Hottest New Business Opportunity! If you missed out on the DOT COM boom, now is your chance to cash in on the massive and growing global demand in our $20 BILLION PER YEAR market. We'll show you how to create an income that will come to you for years and grow with each passing month. A SIMPLE, Fully-Automated, REJECTION-FREE Internet Marketing System! Finally, an EASY, proven, FREE system that will truly help anyone willing to follow our guidance succeed! Average People Are Making Money! Average people are putting their home...

Printed font size in OE6 changed when viewed font size changed in IE8
Hello, When I change the font size in IE8 and then print a document in OE6, the document is printed in the IE8 font size, not the OE6 font size. I have double-checked and the OE6 'Text Size' menu option has not changed. Why is my OE6 font size now linked to my IE8 font size? Internet Explorer v8.0.6001.18702 build 86001 Outlook Express v6.00.2900.5512 xpsp.080413-2111 Windows XP v5.1.2600 sp3 build 2600 Kevin M. "Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War* "Contentment...Comp...

free dot interview questions information
..NET database dev questions http://freedownloadablebooks.blogspot.com/2008/03/net-database-dev-questions.html Some general quickies http://freedownloadablebooks.blogspot.com/2008/03/some-general-quickies.html ..NET WebDev interview questions - Part 1 http://freedownloadablebooks.blogspot.com/2008/03/net-webdev-interview-questions-part-1.html ..NET WebDev interview questions - Part 3 http://freedownloadablebooks.blogspot.com/2008/03/net-webdev-interview-questions-part-3.html Electronic engineer interview questions http://freedownloadablebooks.blogspot.com/2008/03/electronic-engineer-interview-...

Issue with ADP form bound to Stored Procedure
I have an application that I support that is a Microsoft Access Database Project. It uses Access as a front end to a SQL Server database (SQL Server 2000). The current version of Access used in production is Access 2000 (Office 2000). My application site will be receiving new workstations next week that run Access 2002 (Office 2002/XP). When testing with the new version of Access we discovered an issue with one of the Access forms being bound to a Stored Procedure as its data source. It uses the following code to do this Me.RecordSource = "dbo.proc_frm_Input Me.UniqueTable = "d...

Finding Table and Field Information in Microsoft Dynamics GP
Finding Table and Field Information in Microsoft Dynamics GP By David Musgrave To get information about tables and fields in Microsoft Dynamics GP, you can use any of the following 10 methods: 1. Open the Microsoft Dynamics GP window that contains the data you are interested in, and then select Tools -> Integrate -> Table Import to see the tables associated with the Dexterity Form. 2. Open the Microsoft Dynamics GP window that contains the data you are interested in, and then select Tools -> Customise -> Customise Current Window. Once you’re in Modifier Layout mode, look...

Pack and Go Disk Space Error
When I pack and go for a commerical printing service, I get an error message that I'm out of disk space. My publication is only a page but is fairly complex with graphics, charts, and text. I have 20GB of disk space free. Got any tips as on how to resolve this. If I creat a new document with only a little text and a couple small pictures, I am able to successfuly pack and go. Thank you! Bill, which version of Publisher are you using? If you have any BLENDS in your Publication, this can be an issue as the file sizes become humungous. -- After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix...

freeing up space
If you delete an attachment or an image from a message, then save the changes, does that free up space in the store? On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 13:27:04 -0800, dlv <dlv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >If you delete an attachment or an image from a message, then save the >changes, does that free up space in the store? Not enough to care about I would think. Unless you have a 10 GB attachment. ...

Changing window size/location for child process w/.Net
I'd like to start a process and then change the window location and size at various times during its life in a .Net (sans user32.dll). I can get the window handle easy enough but I don't know what to do next to replace the GetWindowRect and MoveWindow DllImports. mediaPlayer.FileName = "mplayer"; mediaPlayer.Start(); mediaPlayer.WaitForInputIdle(); IntPtr hWin = mediaPlayer.MainWindowHandle; GetWindowRect(hWin, out rect); // <- what is ..Net equivalent? MoveWindow(hWin, left, top, width, height, true); // <- what is...

How do I re-size/enlarge Building Blocks Preview Pane?
Using Word 2007. The Building Blocks preview pane is so tiny I can't read the displayed text. There doesn't seem to be any way of re-sizing the pane. Very grateful for any help. As far as I know, there is no way to enlarge the preview pane. If you are unsure if you need a particular Building Block, you could just insert it into your document. If it isn't what you want, use Undo (Ctrl+Z) to get rid of it. Note that sometimes you may have to Undo repeatedly. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Min Chambers" <Min Chambers@discussions.microsoft.co...

Missing Free/Busy Folder #2
I have read the other postings regarding the fix to the missing Free/Busy. When you follow the recommendations from the following KB articles: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;284200 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;275171 There is only one Administrative Group folder. Also the client has several folders created under the public folder. Will I need to reset their published folders under public? Also will there be any other information that I will need to rest after coping the new GUID ? Hi Michael, When we put in a new GUID we will dest...

Free books on Excel; Free Add-In
You may download the free books and software from http://www.vgupta.com (offer good till Dec 31 2003) Excel For Beginners Charting in Excel Excel- Beyond the Basics Managing & Tabulating Data in Excel Financial Analysis Using Excel Statistics Using Excel Software: "Excel Usability Enhancer" VJ VJ wrote: > You may download the free books and software from > http://www.vgupta.com (offer good till Dec 31 2003) > Software: "Excel Usability Enhancer" I note that the only significant installation instructions were:- "Double click to launch the add-in &q...

Multipage, controls-collection and events (XL2003, VBA)
Dear Group, I have a Userform with a Multipage control, which is dynamically filled with textboxes and comboboxes using Controls.Add like this: Set aTextBox = aUserForm.aMultiPage.Pages(strCurrentRegister).Controls.Add("Forms.TextBox.1", "txt" & strText, True) Set aComboBox = aUserForm.aMultiPage.Pages(strCurrentRegister).Controls.Add("Forms.ComboBox.1", "txt" & strText, True) This is working fine, but what I miss is any way to assign eventhandlers. Is there any way to do this? If not, I could use existing controls, which...

Any Links to Free Manuals for Word 2007?
Does anyone seem to know links to Free Good Quality manuals fro Office Word 2007? I did downlaod one from http://www.mousetraining.co.uk/ms-office-training-manuals.html but it doesn't include all the topics that I want to learn! Any help will be much appreciated! Amit http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/FX100485361033.aspx?pid=CL100605171033 Daddy "Rajeev Rawat" <rajeev.rawat1@googlemail.com> wrote in message news:b49a7fb1-2599-4529-8583-b03284aac736@y17g2000yqd.googlegroups.com... > Does anyone seem to know links to Free Good Quality manuals fro...

Site missing in System Folder
Hi, I have 7 sites in my Exchange 2000 organization. 4 of them was migrated from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000, the other 3 are new. In system folders - schedule+ free busy of the 3 new sites I can only see the local site. On the other 4 sites I see only them selfs and none of the new sites. I think this is related to the problem that I have that people can't see each other's calendar when they make an appointment. Can someone help me solve this problem? Best reagards, S�nia Carvalho ...

Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style
Hi, In Word, when defining a style, there is a paragraph format property titled "Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style". It's very convenient to add extra space before/after a block of paragraphs, such as a list. Is there any equivalent in Publisher or do I need to change the settings of each paragraph? Thanks. Raph ...

Where is the OLE path stored for a linked file?
Where is the OLE path stored for a linked file? I have about 3000 datasheets I need to attach to the Item Engineering window's notes ole container. I recorded a macro, but it does not seem to be able to record the OLE container window. Is there a table I can import the path to the files into? I have found the table where the notes are stored MN010000, but it does not appear to have the path to the OLE stored there. Can anyone offer a suggestion on how to get these .pdf datasheets linked without having to do it manually? -- Sheri Salomone THANKS! your DEX.ini file will have the OLE P...

Extend Published free/busy time, consequences.
Hello there. I am thinking of extending the published Free/Busy time in Outlook to a year or two into the future. But how about the consequences in doing so, as seen from the Exchange perspective. Before Exch 2007 this information was stored in a public folder, now in Exch 2007 the check is made directly in the calendar using OWA, so I guess that there should be no problem in doing so? Anyone got any info or best practice I can lean up against. Best regards Jesper. Free-busy data is pretty small so I doubt think you'll have any trouble. But, seriously, who...

Default Free/Busy Calendar time
I put a GPO in a few months ago to change the default free/busy time in outlook so that some of the Administrative Assistants could schedule things on their boss's calendars up to 4 months in advance. Since the time change/DST this gpo has stopped working. Has anyone seen this? The users haven't moved OU's, they haven't been upgraded, the GPO hasn't changed. If I'm posting this in the wrong group can someone point me the right way? ...

Free e-books!
Hello all, I have update my e-books.. Please take a look: http://freebooks2007.blogspot.com ...

LOL @ Publisher Viewer
As many times as I've seen requests about a publisher viewer, it would seem a good request to Microsoft to put on the Publisher packaging that there is no viewer available. At least every purchaser of Publiser would know immediately. Microsoft could even suggest that the purchaser buy an additional Publisher package for anyone he might want to send Publisher files to. Hmmmm--seems like a good marketing tool to me. Can I have a nickel for every time that has been asked here? Jason I've used the HotSend program to email pub files (and other files like invoices from work to cl...

Free Manual
Oh By the way I downloaded the free Excel VBA manual from http://www.mousetraining.co.uk/training-manuals/Excel2003VBA.pdf but it doens't seem to provide me any answer for my specific query cheers Download Excel VBA Language Reference from Microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2204a62e-4877-4563-8e83-4848dda796e4&displaylang=en -- Jacob "rraw75" wrote: > Oh By the way I downloaded the free Excel VBA manual from http://www.mousetraining.co.uk/training-manuals/Excel2003VBA.pdf but it doens't seem to provide me any answer for ...

pst file size
Can anyone help with why the file size on one particular computer in our office is so high? We have deleted almost every folder and most of the items in the remaining and the file size is still 241,000KB. Other machines in the office have much more files and items in them and their file size is around 175KB. Any thoughts?? I can be reached at jmcmanus@jmscott.com JonM schrieb am 02.02.2005 14:23: > Can anyone help with why the file size on one particular computer in our > office is so high? We have deleted almost every folder and most of the items > in the remaining a...

The Microsoft Exchange Information Store service terminated with service-specific error 4294966781.
The Microsoft Exchange Information Store service terminated with service-specific error 429496678 Event ID 702 Exchange server 5. No Application log has been generated Yesterday I had a crash of Information store and I was advised to delete the edb.chk file and restart. It worked. Right now I have disable Norton Antivirus server. I am still unable to start the services. Kindly help it is very urgent. Thanks in advance. Describe what has happened and what happens when you attempt to start InfoStore. Dev wrote: > Yesterday I had a crash of Information store and I was advised to d...