Fragmantation of exchange databases question

I was told to defrag exchange database once a year or every 6months to
improve performance and gain disk space. (exchange 2003 enterprise)
I am new to exchange and was surprised to hear that Exchange doesn't have
automated maintenance task that can also do defragmantation of its own
database like MS SQL or oracle. Is that the case, I should manually defrag?
Thanks
MC

On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 09:35:14 -0500, "CAMC1" <webmaster@ozoptics.com>
wrote:

>I was told to defrag exchange database once a year or every 6months to
>improve performance and gain disk space. (exchange 2003 enterprise)
>I am new to exchange and was surprised to hear that Exchange doesn't have
>automated maintenance task that can also do defragmantation of its own
>database like MS SQL or oracle. Is that the case, I should manually defrag?
>Thanks
>MC

There are very few reasons to do an offline defrag, and not certainly
as part of any regular maintenance.
Exchange performs nightly online defrags of the mailbox stores, which
among other things, frees up white space in the database.

Offline defrag requires downtimes, and is not a zero-risk prospect.
I wouldnt do it.
0
adavid (8731)
1/4/2007 2:41:52 PM
I was told that those maintenance task doesn't really free-up any database
space as you delete your junks mails and so on, and database gets bigger and
bigger eventually slowing down

MC

"Andy David {MVP}" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 09:35:14 -0500, "CAMC1" <webmaster@ozoptics.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I was told to defrag exchange database once a year or every 6months to
> >improve performance and gain disk space. (exchange 2003 enterprise)
> >I am new to exchange and was surprised to hear that Exchange doesn't have
> >automated maintenance task that can also do defragmantation of its own
> >database like MS SQL or oracle. Is that the case, I should manually
defrag?
> >Thanks
> >MC
> >

> There are very few reasons to do an offline defrag, and not certainly
> as part of any regular maintenance.
> Exchange performs nightly online defrags of the mailbox stores, which
> among other things, frees up white space in the database.
>
> Offline defrag requires downtimes, and is not a zero-risk prospect.
> I wouldnt do it.

Exchange performs an online defrag nightly that compacts the data in
the database, but does not reduce the file size.  This is not bad,
because Exchange will not have to increase the file size when new mail
is added.

Performing an offline defrag is usually only done when you need to
reduce the file size.

Examples:
1.  Post migration and after splitting users into multiple mail stores.
2.  After installation of an email archival product that harvested 2/3
of your database.
3.  When fighting corruption issues.

Like previously said, an offline defrag will delete messages that are
corrupt.  I have seen an offline defrag complain about and delete
"corrupt" messages that could be opened in Outlook.  Therefore, NEVER
do an offline defrag without a current good backup of the database.

CAMC1 wrote:
> I was told that those maintenance task doesn't really free-up any database
> space as you delete your junks mails and so on, and database gets bigger and
> bigger eventually slowing down
>
> MC
>
> "Andy David {MVP}" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 09:35:14 -0500, "CAMC1" <webmaster@ozoptics.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >I was told to defrag exchange database once a year or every 6months to
> > >improve performance and gain disk space. (exchange 2003 enterprise)
> > >I am new to exchange and was surprised to hear that Exchange doesn't have
> > >automated maintenance task that can also do defragmantation of its own
> > >database like MS SQL or oracle. Is that the case, I should manually
> defrag?
> > >Thanks
> > >MC
> > >

> > There are very few reasons to do an offline defrag, and not certainly
> > as part of any regular maintenance.
> > Exchange performs nightly online defrags of the mailbox stores, which
> > among other things, frees up white space in the database.
> >
> > Offline defrag requires downtimes, and is not a zero-risk prospect.
> > I wouldnt do it.

Thanks
MC

"Brian Kronberg" <brian.kronberg@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Exchange performs an online defrag nightly that compacts the data in
> the database, but does not reduce the file size.  This is not bad,
> because Exchange will not have to increase the file size when new mail
> is added.
>
> Performing an offline defrag is usually only done when you need to
> reduce the file size.
>
> Examples:
> 1.  Post migration and after splitting users into multiple mail stores.
> 2.  After installation of an email archival product that harvested 2/3
> of your database.
> 3.  When fighting corruption issues.
>
> Like previously said, an offline defrag will delete messages that are
> corrupt.  I have seen an offline defrag complain about and delete
> "corrupt" messages that could be opened in Outlook.  Therefore, NEVER
> do an offline defrag without a current good backup of the database.
>

> CAMC1 wrote:
> > I was told that those maintenance task doesn't really free-up any
database
> > space as you delete your junks mails and so on, and database gets bigger
and
> > bigger eventually slowing down
> >
> > MC
> >
> > "Andy David {MVP}" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in
message

> > defrag?
> > > >

> > > There are very few reasons to do an offline defrag, and not certainly
> > > as part of any regular maintenance.
> > > Exchange performs nightly online defrags of the mailbox stores, which
> > > among other things, frees up white space in the database.
> > >
> > > Offline defrag requires downtimes, and is not a zero-risk prospect.
> > > I wouldnt do it.

Vista won't open my database :-(
Tried to catch up on some work and Emailed my database home. I've done it under XP with no problems in the past, but under Vista it won't work. Access claims: ----------------------------------- "This file is located outside your intranet or on a untrusted site. Microsoft Access will not open the file due to potential security problems." "To open the file, copy it to your machine or an accessible network location". ----------------------------------- No option to allow is offered. The problem is the file has already been copied to my local drive. It's ...

Exchange 2000 FE / Exchange 2003 BE
Is it possible to use an Exchange 2000 Server on the front end and an Exchange 2003 Server on the back end? We just upgraded from exchange 2000 to 2003 and I am having trouble getting approval to purchase another copy of Exchange 2003 for our front end server. Since we already have a license for Exchange 2000, it would be ideal if we could use it as the front end server. On 11 Apr 2007 10:46:05 -0700, chrisashcraft@gmail.com wrote: >Is it possible to use an Exchange 2000 Server on the front end and an >Exchange 2003 Server on the back end? We just upgraded from exchange >2000 to 20...

Office 2010 Beta Question
I am attempting to install Office 2010 Beta. After downloading the software from the Technet site. I disabled my anti-virus software. After I click on the file to start the install. I receive a message indicating the files unziped and then the install process hanges. I never see the prompt to start the Install Process. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate with the current fixes applied as of this post. Thanks. Please post your query in one the forums from this list: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/office2010,office2007deployment hth "Graifee"...

Migration from SBS Exchange to Exchange 2k
Has anyone out there done this? Not yet! I've heard bad rumors that scare the hell out of me! >-----Original Message----- >Has anyone out there done this? >. > I would recommend having a look at the following link http://www.ayrcd.com/sbs_migration.htm >-----Original Message----- >Has anyone out there done this? >. > Thank you, this is very helpful >-----Original Message----- >I would recommend having a look at the following link > >http://www.ayrcd.com/sbs_migration.htm > > >>-----Original Message----- >>Has anyone out there do...

Exchange 2003 sp2 IMF
Hi, I have a problem with IMF on my exchange 2003 sp2 server. Every time I restart the server all settings under IMF gets back to default settings. I want to block (archive) messages with SCL greater than 7 and move messages with SCL greater than 5 to junk folder. And it works except that I have to make the settings every time I restart the server. Why? ...

Cannot uninstall Exchange IMF
I'm trying to uninstall the Exchange IMF before installing Exchange 2003 SP2. However, part-way through the uninstall process I get a message stating "Fatal error during installation" and the IMF doesn't get uninstalled. Trying to install SP2 tells me that I have to remove the IMF first, and it won't let me proceed otherwise - if I choose "upgrade" in the dropdown box then it tells me that I must remove the IMF first. But I can't! Any suggestions?! Thanks, Richard. On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 10:42:14 GMT, Richard <richard@news.postalias> wrote: >I...

macro question #16
I am trying to modify a macro so that the cell is formatted with a percent and 2 decimal places. The macro right now inserts a number formatted with a percent but no decimal places into B3. The code is as follows: Range("B3").Select Selection.Style = "Percent" Can someone help me with this. Thanks in advance. Hi Terry, Sub Macro1() Selection.NumberFormat = "0.00%" End Sub Regards, Hari India "Terry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:33e501c4a017$f0c9de70$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I am trying to modify ...

Your mailbox has been temporarily moved on Microsoft Exchange Server
I'm getting new error messages from my hotmail accounts on MS Outlook 2007 - Your mailbox has been temporarily moved on Microsoft Exchange Server. A temporary mailbox exists but might not have all of your previous data. You can connect to a temporary mailbox or work offline with all of your old data. If you choose to work with your old data, you cannot send or receive e-mail messages. Use temporary mailbox Use Old Data Cancel I don't have any exchange server accounts under this profile - just hotmail. I tried deleting the profile and cr...

Exchange/Outlook 2003
Hello, As a growing company, we're now dealing with the 16GB limit on the Exchange Info Store for SBS2003. In an effort to make sure we never reach that, I'm looking to setup a GPO to give everyone consistent AutoArchive settings as well as a common location for the PST file. I have already downloaded the Office Administrative Templates for Outlook 2003, so I already have found the settings I want to modify and have made the changes, I just haven't made them live on the domain yet. My thoughts to date: * create two GPOs, one for the PST location, one for the autoarchive sett...

Exchange Cluster Inplace Upgrade
I have to to upgrade an exchange 2000 cluster to exchange 2003 soon. MSDTC is installed in the default Cluster Group (where the Quroum Disk resides). Do I have to move the MSDTC resource to another dedicated cluster group before upgrading to exchange 2003 and windows 2003 ? If yes, what is the right procedure to do this ? Thanks MC ...

Rename or Exchange Names
Hi! What is the proper way of renaming a computer in windows 2003 Domain and also changing an old pc with a new one? Hello create_share, Just rename the computer connected to the domain, nothing special. You need to use an account that is able to change the name in AD so at least domain admin. Please define the old OS and new OS where you like to change between, is there a need for applications to run on the new one as on the old machine? Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ** ...

Project Accounting Currency Question
I guess this is a tough question. I have been looking at multi-currency projects. I have set up a project and I have added some costs to it in a foreign currency. When I print the PA Project Cost Breakdown report, all the costs appear in functional currency. The Project Inquiry window shows the amounts in the originating currency but when I print the report, the costs are in funcitonal currency. Does anyone know where these originating costs are stored? Can they be put on a modified report? I use PA 9.0 in Austaralia. AUD is our Functional currency and I purchase inventory ite...

Remove Exchange 5.5 from Exchange 2003 org
Dear All, I have a problems here, our company have move from exchange 5.5 to 2003 in the last year. but the exchange 5.5 instance still exist in the exchange server manager after the move is complete. now the 5.5 has been complete removed (formatted). and the Domain has been raised to 2003 native. Is there any method I can remove it from the org. our company have a 2003 act as a DC with all FSMO and another 2003 as an Exchange 2003 (which is also a DC). Also, I am planning to move the Exchange to new hardware, I plan to install a new copy of Windows 2003 and exchange 2003 on it to join...

"Microsoft Exchange Server is Unavailable" Help!!!
I just loaded my version of Outlook 2003. When I attempted to open the program for the first time, it gave me the message "Your Microsoft Exchange Server is Unavailable" I can't get into the program to fix the settings. I tried to reinstall it, and it still gives me the same message. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Thanks in advance for your help! -- Jeff Jeff <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I just loaded my version of Outlook 2003. When I attempted to open > the program for the first time, it gave me the message "...

Error : The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time
Dear all, I open a SQL table (connections via ODBC) and want to delete record. I can't delete the record because I get the following error : The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time What is the solution for this error ? Thanks. Chlaris ...

Best partition set for Exchange 2003
I presently have 3 partitions setup on my W2K server with Exchange 2003 In the near future I am going to add another exchange, move everything over to the new one and get rid of the old exchange server. Question I have is do I keep using 3 partitions or is it best to set my partitions some other way. Any feedback will be appreciated. Thank you. http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Art-Science-Sizing-Exchange-2003-Part2.html have a look at the above article simon "Volodymyr" <vg@aspenview.org> wrote in message news:D405E32A-BE7A-4C39-9259-05649B943C9F@microsoft.com... &...

Exchange to Exchange 2003 replication
We have 2 orgs with AD and Exchange 2003 installed. Before we migrate one into the other, i need to replicated the GAL's We also had 2 NT4 and 5.5 domains which we replicated using the ADC. However this doesnt appear to be an option, ie it doesnt work for 2003 to 2003. Is there away to replicate either one way or 2 way between the 2 org's? We faffed around with MIIS but for a temp solution i dont want to rebuild a server for MIIS. Cheers GALSync in MIIS Feature Pack Rod Fournier has step-by-step instructions on his blog http://msmvps.com/clustering/archive/2004/10/06/15141.aspx ...

Cached mode in Exchange 2003
Hello, Email is being received after each 1 minute or so when cache mode is enabled in Outlook. Is it possible to have email flowing immediately as it is in the case in non- cached mode? Clifford Clifford <clifford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Email is being received after each 1 minute or so when > cache mode is enabled in Outlook. Is it possible to have > email flowing immediately as it is in the case in non- > cached mode? While I could be wrong, I would conjecture that it doesn't "flow immediately" in non-cache mode, either. You have to set a...

OOF Exchange 2000 ----> Exchange 5.5
hello there, We have a largish exchange organisation, 8 exchange 5.5 servers and 1 exchange 2000 server. We have this problem where if any exchange 2000 user turns on his Out Off Office, only people on exchange 2000 get his message. If you send him an email and you are on exchange 5.5 server you will NOT get the out of office. Exchange 5.5 out of office to exchange 5.5 works fine ... any ideas? this is for ALL users on exchange 2000 Thanks in advance Ali I'd make sure the mail is going over the MTA. -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS" wit...

Restricting access to an Exchange Mailbox
Hi - I want to restrict the number of Outlook clients accessing a particular mailbox to ONE. Could somebody point me to the appropriate part of Exchange which might help me here please? (assuming Exchange is the right place to start with!) Thanks -- Ian You manage mailbox permissions under the Exchange Advanced tab of the mailbox-enabled user and click "Mailbox Rights". "Grumpycrab" <BDAGWBYUXPFT@spammotel.com> wrote in message news:1e44f078.0407260107.566fe68b@posting.google.com... > Hi - I want to restrict the number of Outlook clients accessing a > parti...

Exchange 2000 modifies NDR's from outside
Hello, whenever a NDR generated by remote servers comes to our exchange server, exchange modifies the NDR, including attached message. As a result, we can't safely detect where the problem started and what server generated the NDR. Is there any possibility to set up exchange not to modify the NDR, and to show it exactly as it came in? (except Received: headers, which of course should be added). Thank you. -- Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar@fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/ Warning: I wish NOT to receive e-mail advertising to this address. Varovanie: na tuto adresu chcem NEDOSTAVAT a...

Exchange Encryption
Does anyone know how to do encryption in Exchange 2003 server? I already have SSL installed for OWA but want all mail going out of Exchange server to be encrypted for HIPAA compliance. Thanks. --John On Wed, 31 May 2006 12:01:47 -0400, "John Lee" <lejohn@unc.edu> wrote: >Does anyone know how to do encryption in Exchange 2003 server? I already >have SSL installed for OWA but want all mail going out of Exchange server to >be encrypted for HIPAA compliance. > >Thanks. > >--John > I didn't think that encrypting all mail was actually a requir...

No SMTP virt. server in Exchange 2003 Protocols
I'm not sure which group to present this to so here I go: I just installed an Exchange 2003 server on a Windows server 2003 machine (in our test lab) Although I can receive mail I cannot send anyting. My ISP says my outgoing mail (to all of their clients) is being blocked because : xx.xxx.xxx.xxx does not respond on port 25. As there is not a properly configured mail server at this address we will not unblock it. So, I looked at the ESM in SERVERS | [Domain] | Protocols | SMTP and I do not have a "default" server (actually, it's blank.) Is this why they're blocking me?...

Sizing items
I'm doing a flow chart, and would like to select many items and make them all the same size, is there an easy way to do this in Visio 2003? Thank you. Go to View > Size & Position Window. Then enter the dimensions you want. -- Mark Nelson Office Graphics - Visio Microsoft Corporation This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "dew" <dew@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:evYbpP1JGHA.3984@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > I'm doing a flow chart, and would like to select many items and make them > all the same siz...

Exchange Scripts
Morning all. I have a user who gets alot of emails with .zip files attached. These .zip files need to be manually saved out of the email into a folder (the same folder) everyday all day. Is there someway I can automatically do this with a server based script. Maybe setup a rule in outlook 2003 to file them to a folder then setup a script on that folder? Used to be able to do this in 5.5. Thanks in advance for any help. Mike "=?Utf-8?B?WmlndWFuYQ==?=" <Ziguana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:2393B989-4BB3-4857-838B-9E1D359B21A2@microsoft.com: > Is there ...