forged sender domain

Can anyone tell me if sending an email with a forged sender domain (for
example the sender domain=the destination domain) actually violates any RFCs
for internet mail?

We are working with a service that sends legitimate mail to us but it
appears "from" us.  A recent policy addition by our ISP to block internet
mail from our local domain has started blocking this real mail and we are
left to solve the problem.

Thanks

I don't know about the RFCs but it will be flagged as suspect (possibly
forged) if anyone is doing a reverse DNS lookup.

Nue
"William Gilles" <William.Gilles@notyourmail.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me if sending an email with a forged sender domain (for
> example the sender domain=the destination domain) actually violates any
> RFCs
> for internet mail?
>
> We are working with a service that sends legitimate mail to us but it
> appears "from" us.  A recent policy addition by our ISP to block internet
> mail from our local domain has started blocking this real mail and we are
> left to solve the problem.
>
> Thanks

0
imaneophyte (3004)

Exch. Server in Child Domain
I've added both exchange servers in the replication tab of all the objects that I want to replicate... Should the folder just appear in the child domain users' public folder stack? Exchange Server 2003 on Windows Server 2003 Dan Klinge wrote: > But.....how do I get the Parent Domain's calendars to show up in the Child > Domain's users' outlook??? > > > > "Dan Klinge" <Dan.Klinge@NOSPAMJERKArborMed.com> wrote in message > news:%23pblelKOGHA.3728@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... >> Yes. I just setup replication of the two main public c...

multiple Domains under one domain or multiple forests under one forest
I have to research on below scenario. Asia regional countries are in separate forests/single domains Europe has forest and child domains. Europe is separate systems only connected via WAN only. Our proposal was make one forest under Europe as =91APAC=92, and then we will migrate regional counties under to APAC forest to appropriate Trees. Europe proposed that instead of creating APAC migrate all the Asia regional forest to one of Europe Domain. As example, migrate all Asia user accounts to Germany domain under Europe forest. for me putting every domain to one domain sounds messy f...

Cannot see child domain users in parent domain
Our domain has exchange servers in the parent domain and no exchange server in the child domain, when i create a mailbox for a user in the child domain the user can connect through OWA. The preview of the GAL on the server contains the user but on an outlook client i cannot find that user. the user cannot configure outlook because its name doesn't appear in the address list. help wanted please See if this helps re Outlook: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297801/en-us Nue "Hidma" <Hidma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B0BF06DC-C9EC-483E-B219-FC3AB...

SMTP Queue filled with wanna be senders
Whenever I go into the SMTP Virtual Server Queue on my exchange server I notice their are several e-mails waiting to be routed out from several domain names like Enter7 or funfortonight sending from "Postmaster". They always sit in the Queued status but never get delivered. Obviously they are spammers trying to relay but they can't. Over a weekend I notice somtimes 20 or 30 sit in the Queue. I have configured the options that Micorosoft has suggested to not allow relaying. Is thier any way to prevent these Spammers from hanging in my Queue without interrupting my comp...

forged sender domain
Can anyone tell me if sending an email with a forged sender domain (for example the sender domain=the destination domain) actually violates any RFCs for internet mail? We are working with a service that sends legitimate mail to us but it appears "from" us. A recent policy addition by our ISP to block internet mail from our local domain has started blocking this real mail and we are left to solve the problem. Thanks I don't know about the RFCs but it will be flagged as suspect (possibly forged) if anyone is doing a reverse DNS lookup. Nue "William Gilles" <Wil...

After Redeploying CRM1.2 to a new domain,CRM alsways asks for a password!
Hi, After redeploying CRM to a new domain using MS Crm redeployment wizard and follow all instructions. When trying to run CRM from the CRM server itself by writing( http://localhost). it alsways asks for a password. At first Microsoft CRM was installed on a different server (W2000). Now it is installed on another server (W2003) service pack 1 . And the server keeps asking any time a users needs to Access Microsoft CRM. Also when open deployment manager, then user manager and click users, It gives an error message "The specified Microsoft CRM is not available, It might happen if it is ...

Move Exchange 5.5 to another domain
Hello, Can somebody tell me it is possible to move a Exchange 5.5 from one domain (NT 4.0) to another new domain (W2003). I dont know if there are some problem with the accounts that have the permsission in the original domain. Wich will be deleted after. Thanks Moving an Exchange 5.5 server from one domain to another is unsupported. Move the mailboxes instead. -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup. "Paco" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrot...

how to deniy a senders adress in exchange 2003
We keep getting spam mail of one e-mail adress for example heinz.loeffler@t-online.de in the global settings mail delivery I allready blocked the sender but his mails keep coming trough to the mailbox we created. please advise me what to do thanks in advance. vancoillie Jurgen R u using Intelligent_Message_Filter for exchange 2003???? "jurgen vancoilie" wrote: > We keep getting spam mail of one e-mail adress for example > heinz.loeffler@t-online.de > > in the global settings mail delivery I allready blocked the sender but his > mails keep coming trough to the...

One domain 2 excahgne servers
Hi all We currently have one forest and one domain and one exchange 2003 server. We have a remote office that wants to run its own exchagne server. Is this recomended? how do two excahgne 2003 server in the same domain but in different sites behave? I was going to put the exchange server in there oun OU and let them go for it, but is there anything i need to know about this or look out for? Thanks a bunch Skip Exchange 2003 can scale to many many sites...how many people in your remote office though? an entire server for just a few users might be overkill... "Skipster" &l...

senders name
A very simple question, but I can't find the solution. I want to change the name of the sender in our external e-mails. As our logon-names we have John, Jim, Susan, etc. Unfortunately our external e-mails are send by "John" <j.smith@where.com> instead of "John Smith" <j.smith@where.com> I have tried the following: - changed the display name of the mailboxes. The name changes in the adress list but the mail still comes from "John" (even after reboot of outlook) - put last name in with first name in mail boxes; doesn't work, really I see a...

Add Sender To Blocked Senders List
I am getting inundated with e-mail spam and when I select "Add Sender To Blocked Senders List" so that mail gets sent to my Junk E-Mail Folder it appears that it is ignored and I keep getting the same spam directed to my Inbox. Anyone have a way to make this work? Patrick I don't use WLM but I have some advice for you. Stop using your real email address when you post to a newsgroup and you will reduce the number of spam emails you receive....Maybe. I say "Maybe" because it might be too late due to your address already being on numerous spam lists...

Getting 550 5.7.1 'message rejected' from external senders
Hello, I have an an Exchange Server 2003 running and all has been well until I had a power outage. Ever since that my external users using pop3 mail clients like Outlook Express can not send mail to anyone outside the local users group. It acts just like the relay errors but I am allowing relays and the error is "An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'gfgfgf', Account: 'www.domain.com', Server: 'www.domain.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1 Message rejected.', Port: 97, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC69&quo...

Copying junk senders list
Hi, In Outlook 2000 and 98, how do you copy a junk senders lists to put on another client account? Thanks ...

NDRs after Sender ID framework is deployed
After we integrated the Sender ID Framework we started getting a lot of 5.7.1 SMTP code NDRs. So, spammer is sending email presenting her\him self as somebody from our company and the corresponding email system is bouncing the email back, and the particular NDR is being sent to the particular user on our system which email address was used by spammer. Is there any way to stop those type of NDRs, as they are very deceiving and let users think that they sent the particular emails (and they didn't), so I am spending a plenty of my time explaining what actually happened..... You do no...

Internal Email not displaying senders name.
Hi, I have an problem where a user sends an internal mail , and the recipients do not see the senders display name. Configuration is, 1 user. 2 accounts. 2 email addresses. (Using Exchange) Account 1: username: bob1 smtp: bob1@bob.com Account 2: username: bob2 smtp: bob1@jane.com (account is disabled) Scenario: BOB1 logs into the BOB domain and sends emails as BOB1. He can send emails to anyone on the BOB1 domain and externally, and the dislpay name is correct. All working fine. BOB1 logs into the BOB domain, and sends emails as BOB2 using the from field. He can physically send ...

Exchange 5.5 and domain upgrade from NT to 2003
Just gone down the path of starting to upgrade the domain from NT to 2003 interim. So far everything has gone OK, couple of DNS hitches to start with which appeared to make the network slow but that's now fixed. Main problem now is exchange IMC. The exchange box has bee functioning fine now for several days since the start of the domain upgrade, however today it was necessary to start the NT4 Exchange5.5 box and that's where the problem starts. Since this is it's first restart I'm assuming that it's looking to the new domain and AD. All the exhange services start fi...

Setup mailboxes for child domain users
We just setup W2003 AD and Exchange 2003. We have about 10 child domains created. They are in different subnet and in different geographic location. Exchange 2003 setrver is running only in HQ, not in any child domains. How can I setup mailboxes for child domain users? Any guidance out there?? Thanks, Rick You need to run domainPrep in each domain that contains an Exchange server and in any domain that contains exchange users. On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 05:53:07 -0700, "Rick" <Rick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We just setup W2003 AD and Exchange 2003. We have a...

Relaying denied. IP name possibly forged.
We are getting this from our exchange 2003 server. --------------------------- Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: test Sent: 2/23/2005 11:50 AM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: jhardin@phoenixmarriottmesa.com on 2/23/2005 11:50 AM You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance contact your system administrator. <outlook.radissonlax.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7. <jhardin@phoenixmarriottmesa.com>... Relaying denied. IP name possibl forged [209.19.52.10]> ----------------------------- Need help to solve ...

Acceptance of domain literals
I need to allow this in order to help me troubleshoot what I know is a DNS issue with my mx record. I have any Exchange 2000 server. Any ideas. ...

External Mail addresses with same domain name
We have some POP3 mail account that are hosted remotely, however they have the same domain name as the internal addresses. Therefore the problem is that when internal users try and send to the external users exchange sends back an error saying address not found, unstead of sending it external. In 5.5 you could setup an external User and it worked fine, but in 2003 it doesn't work the same. Any suggestions? In Exchange 2000 you can configure SMTP servers with the option to forward messages with unresolved recipient names (within the same domain) to a specific host or IP address. ...

Relaying denied, IP Name possibly forged
We have 2 exchange servers, site A and B, all external mail from site B goes through site A, some users in site B are receiving this message, if the user re-sends the original message to the same address a second time it goes through, does anyone know why or what this message means? johnv@eldoradomg.net on 11/15/2004 4:53 PM You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator. <ExchNY.nypdc.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 <johnv@eldoradomg.net>... Relaying denied. IP name possibly forged [209.73.208.163]>...

How to have external contacts with same domain as Exchange???
Hi all, Preface: I have Exchange Svr 2003 with Outlook 2003. Suppose that my domain is @probe.net. I have one central office and a lot of external offices. The exchange server is only used to send-receive messages into the central office. (To receive I am using the POP connector to obtain messages from my ISP, and to send I am using the Exchange Server). External offices read messages directly from the ISP. Well. The problem is: - All the external offices have email adresses with the same domain @probe.net. When I add contacts to GAL with the email address of the external offices, and sen...

Accept relayed mail to our domain.....
Is there a feature that prevents exchange from accepting email DESTINED for our domain if it has been relayed from elsewhere? Careerbuilder is relaying email to us as and we are the destination, but it is bouncing off our server. What would cause this? The email address accepts mail from other domains no problem. Thanks in advance, CB Can we see the [full unedited, with just e-mail addresses removed] bounce? CB wrote: > Is there a feature that prevents exchange from accepting email DESTINED for > our domain if it has been relayed from elsewhere? > > Careerbuilder is relayi...

Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender for Distribution Lists
Hey all I am having the following issue: Running Windows XP SP3, Outlook 2003. Now I when I try to send to a distribution list, it automatically comes back with the following error: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender - for all of the email addressess in the list, however if I manually add them all to the email, I can send it no problems. Kind of butting my head against a wall here so if anyone can help that would be much appreciated! regards Neil What is the exact error message in the NDR? Tried recreating the distribution list already? Try it with 5 entries ...

Sender filtering questioning
1.) Is there anyway to seperate the "Message with Blank Sender" and the senders manually defined into different folders, When the "Archives Filtered Messages" is enabled? Its kind of tough the search through 1000's of emails to find out if 1 person in the list has send email. 2.) Also in the bad mail directory why is 3 files created for 1 bad email, this is a space hog, Also is there anyway to stop the collection of bad emails? thanks, Chris DEL *.* Schedule a job to do it. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"...