Forcing Outbound SMTP to bind to a particular address

This is likely addressed elsewhere, but for the life of me i can't find it.

We are running an Exchange 2003 active/passive cluster.  Inbound SMTP works
great, but outbound SMTP is binding to the wrong IP address.  Instead of
binding to the virtual IP, it binds to the machine IP.  The virtual IP
address is set up to be natted correctly, but the individual machines are
hide-natted using a different public IP address, which isn't listed in DNS.

Is there a way to force the Source IP address on outbound SMTP connections?

Is this clear as mud?

Thanks in advance,
Earl
0
Crowder (2)

You should have an IP address resource for the Exchange cluster group. It
should bind to this can you confirm this is not happening.

Nue
"Earl Crowder" <Earl Crowder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is likely addressed elsewhere, but for the life of me i can't find
> it.
>
> We are running an Exchange 2003 active/passive cluster.  Inbound SMTP
> works
> great, but outbound SMTP is binding to the wrong IP address.  Instead of
> binding to the virtual IP, it binds to the machine IP.  The virtual IP
> address is set up to be natted correctly, but the individual machines are
> hide-natted using a different public IP address, which isn't listed in
> DNS.
>
> Is there a way to force the Source IP address on outbound SMTP
> connections?
>
> Is this clear as mud?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Earl

0
imaneophyte (3005)
5/15/2006 11:55:30 PM
Yes, there is an IP addr resource and inbound smtp correctly binds to that ip
addr.

it's the outbound connections that are binding to the host ip addr instead
of the virtual ip.  i've verified this using netstat.

"Nuevo" wrote:

> You should have an IP address resource for the Exchange cluster group. It
> should bind to this can you confirm this is not happening.
>
> Nue
> "Earl Crowder" <Earl Crowder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This is likely addressed elsewhere, but for the life of me i can't find
> > it.
> >
> > We are running an Exchange 2003 active/passive cluster.  Inbound SMTP
> > works
> > great, but outbound SMTP is binding to the wrong IP address.  Instead of
> > binding to the virtual IP, it binds to the machine IP.  The virtual IP
> > address is set up to be natted correctly, but the individual machines are
> > hide-natted using a different public IP address, which isn't listed in
> > DNS.
> >
> > Is there a way to force the Source IP address on outbound SMTP
> > connections?
> >
> > Is this clear as mud?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Earl

Look at the configuration in your SMTP VS. Is it bound to "all" if so
consider selecting the correct one.

> Yes, there is an IP addr resource and inbound smtp correctly binds to that
> ip
> addr.
>
> it's the outbound connections that are binding to the host ip addr instead
> of the virtual ip.  i've verified this using netstat.
>
> "Nuevo" wrote:
>
>> You should have an IP address resource for the Exchange cluster group. It
>> should bind to this can you confirm this is not happening.
>>
>> Nue
>> "Earl Crowder" <Earl Crowder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > This is likely addressed elsewhere, but for the life of me i can't find
>> > it.
>> >
>> > We are running an Exchange 2003 active/passive cluster.  Inbound SMTP
>> > works
>> > great, but outbound SMTP is binding to the wrong IP address.  Instead
>> > of
>> > binding to the virtual IP, it binds to the machine IP.  The virtual IP
>> > address is set up to be natted correctly, but the individual machines
>> > are
>> > hide-natted using a different public IP address, which isn't listed in
>> > DNS.
>> >
>> > Is there a way to force the Source IP address on outbound SMTP
>> > connections?
>> >
>> > Is this clear as mud?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance,
>> > Earl

0
imaneophyte (3005)
5/16/2006 12:35:54 AM
Look at the configuration in your SMTP VS. Is it bound to "all" if so
consider selecting the correct one.

Nue
"Earl Crowder" <EarlCrowder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yes, there is an IP addr resource and inbound smtp correctly binds to that
> ip
> addr.
>
> it's the outbound connections that are binding to the host ip addr instead
> of the virtual ip.  i've verified this using netstat.
>
> "Nuevo" wrote:
>
>> You should have an IP address resource for the Exchange cluster group. It
>> should bind to this can you confirm this is not happening.
>>
>> Nue
>> "Earl Crowder" <Earl Crowder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > This is likely addressed elsewhere, but for the life of me i can't find
>> > it.
>> >
>> > We are running an Exchange 2003 active/passive cluster.  Inbound SMTP
>> > works
>> > great, but outbound SMTP is binding to the wrong IP address.  Instead
>> > of
>> > binding to the virtual IP, it binds to the machine IP.  The virtual IP
>> > address is set up to be natted correctly, but the individual machines
>> > are
>> > hide-natted using a different public IP address, which isn't listed in
>> > DNS.
>> >
>> > Is there a way to force the Source IP address on outbound SMTP
>> > connections?
>> >
>> > Is this clear as mud?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance,
>> > Earl

0
imaneophyte (3005)
5/16/2006 12:36:32 AM
Nuevo,

I've checked the IP binding in the SMTP VS, the only option available is the
Virtual IP, in this case 10.13.50.4.

Perhaps the table below will help.  You can see Inbound Connections to port
25 on 10.13.50.4, but outbound connections are using the IP address of the
host 10.13.50.2.  Nowhere in the configuration for SMTP Protocol, SMTP VS,
anywhere can i find a setting to say "bind to this IP when sending mail".

I appreciate the help on this,
Earl

Active Connections

  Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State
  TCP    10.13.50.2:37573       64.12.138.152:25       TIME_WAIT
  TCP    10.13.50.2:37576       205.188.158.121:25     TIME_WAIT
  TCP    10.13.50.2:37577       205.188.156.249:25     TIME_WAIT
  TCP    10.13.50.2:37578       64.12.137.249:25       TIME_WAIT
  TCP    10.13.50.2:37583       205.188.159.217:25     ESTABLISHED
  TCP    10.13.50.2:37584       205.188.156.185:25     SYN_SENT
  TCP    10.13.50.4:25          64.211.219.55:41529    TIME_WAIT
  TCP    10.13.50.4:25          68.142.134.19:24847    TIME_WAIT
  TCP    10.13.50.4:25          213.35.204.4:3663      CLOSING

"Nuevo" wrote:

> Look at the configuration in your SMTP VS. Is it bound to "all" if so
> consider selecting the correct one.
>
> Nue
> "Earl Crowder" <EarlCrowder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, there is an IP addr resource and inbound smtp correctly binds to that
> > ip
> > addr.
> >
> > it's the outbound connections that are binding to the host ip addr instead
> > of the virtual ip.  i've verified this using netstat.
> >
> > "Nuevo" wrote:
> >
> >> You should have an IP address resource for the Exchange cluster group. It
> >> should bind to this can you confirm this is not happening.
> >>
> >> Nue
> >> "Earl Crowder" <Earl Crowder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Sigh,

Finally found the confirmation that I needed that this is working as intended.

From
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/msit/operations/smtpggatewaysnote.mspx

"Note that binding an SMTP virtual server to IP addresses affects only
inbound SMTP connections. The source IP address of the outbound SMTP
connections from the gateway server will be determined by the IP address
layer of the sending host. For example, if the gateway has two IP addresses,
172.16.x.1 and 10.x.x.1, and wants to communicate with the remote host
10.x.x.2, the source IP address of the SMTP connection will be 10.x.x.1,
regardless of which SMTP virtual server initiated the outbound connection."

It looks like I'll have to change my outbound NAT configuration.

Thanks for the help.

Earl
"Earl Crowder" wrote:

> Nuevo,
>
> I've checked the IP binding in the SMTP VS, the only option available is the
> Virtual IP, in this case 10.13.50.4.
>
> Perhaps the table below will help.  You can see Inbound Connections to port
> 25 on 10.13.50.4, but outbound connections are using the IP address of the
> host 10.13.50.2.  Nowhere in the configuration for SMTP Protocol, SMTP VS,
> anywhere can i find a setting to say "bind to this IP when sending mail".
>
> I appreciate the help on this,
> Earl
>
> Active Connections
>
>   Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State
>   TCP    10.13.50.2:37573       64.12.138.152:25       TIME_WAIT
>   TCP    10.13.50.2:37576       205.188.158.121:25     TIME_WAIT
>   TCP    10.13.50.2:37577       205.188.156.249:25     TIME_WAIT
>   TCP    10.13.50.2:37578       64.12.137.249:25       TIME_WAIT
>   TCP    10.13.50.2:37583       205.188.159.217:25     ESTABLISHED
>   TCP    10.13.50.2:37584       205.188.156.185:25     SYN_SENT
>   TCP    10.13.50.4:25          64.211.219.55:41529    TIME_WAIT
>   TCP    10.13.50.4:25          68.142.134.19:24847    TIME_WAIT
>   TCP    10.13.50.4:25          213.35.204.4:3663      CLOSING
>
> "Nuevo" wrote:
>
> > Look at the configuration in your SMTP VS. Is it bound to "all" if so
> > consider selecting the correct one.
> >
> > Nue
> > "Earl Crowder" <EarlCrowder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Yes, there is an IP addr resource and inbound smtp correctly binds to that
> > > ip
> > > addr.
> > >
> > > it's the outbound connections that are binding to the host ip addr instead
> > > of the virtual ip.  i've verified this using netstat.

Force Uninstall
All, A coupla questions . . . Suppose I just want to forcefully uninstall Exchange 2000 from a server, and an org. Currently the uninstall fails because (as mentioned in a previous post) I have users that still show as being on that server, however the store that those users were on is no longer there (because of a disaster). Is there some way to force the uninstall? Another question. I have two healthy clustered machines running currently. Suppose I just remove the object for the old exchange server from the ESM? Assuming I have performed all of the other steps steps (like moving o...

SMTP routing #2
In Exchange 5.5 you can specify MX record of a domain and exchange send mail to that MX record/gateway. Do I need to configure SMTP connector in exchange 2003 to do the same thing? Please help. ...

forcing user input into cells
howdy all... i'm new to doing stuff with excel have a bit of a background in javascript programming what i'm trying to do is force a user to enter something, anything int a specific cell if the user tries to tab past the cell and leave it blank, i want a error to come up, telling them that they have to enter something befor they can continue on with entry into other cells any help would be much appreciated -Thank -- georgi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- georgio's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=164...

Permanent Failure: Other address status #2
Howdy, I have a customer whose customers are receiving the following email randomly... > The following addresses had delivery problems: > > <user@domain.com> > Permanent Failure: Other address status > Delivery last attempted at Mon, 12 Mar 2007 19:42:42 -0000 My customer server is SBS 2003 Standard, latest Service Packs. How do I troubleshoot this? There is nothing the App/Sys logs near this time line. I have Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange Server installed as well and that doesnt have any log entries either. Also this response isnt a symantec respo...

What are ATT's pop3 and SMTP server names?
HI, A neighbor has ATT dialup, and just got a new computer that has Outlook 2000 on it, along with outlook express. The system is working, I used xp home's dialer to check the modem and it called out fine, so the modem isn't the problem. After setting up the email acct, it keeps saying it can't find the smtp server. It didn't dial first, so I don't understand how it couldn't find it, if it didn't dial. I made up the names for the pop3 and smtp servers, I used mail.att.net for both. I coundn't find the server names on ATT's website. Any help much appreciated...

Force quit
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Closing Word get error message &quot;A file error has occurred. Check your network connections or make sure the disk is properly inserted&quot; Am then required to use force quit. Anybody have solution? Make sure Office & OS X are fully updated. If they are & you still encounter the problem, crashing on Quit is usually the result of one of theses causes: Need to repair disk permissions Damaged preference files Corrupt Normal.dotm template See this page for the respective links in t...

CRM 4.0 Appointments and SMTP
Hi We have a scenario where CRM users will use the webclient to book appointments with contacts within CRM. My question is: Can appointment requests be delivered via the outbound SMTP option? Thanks. Lee ...

Forcing Appointments
I use outlook to schedule appointments with my customers with specific employees. I have a scheduling department that does this scheduling via outlook. The employees have no option to reject or modify these appointments; therefore, I would like to force this on their calendar with them having to accept it and not allowing them to modify it. Additionally, I need to know real time once they are scheduled. Right now I don't know they are scheduled until they accept and that sometimes takes too long and then they are inadvertently double booked by the scheduling department. So how do ...

DPM2007 and SMTP server
Hi people, DPM2007 on Windows 2003 SE, Exchange 2007 SP2 on Windows 2008 SE. In Dpm2007 I have this error: http://www.msexchange.org/img/upl/image0321207047625397.jpg Username, password and smtp server is correct. How to fix it? Tnx in advance. I am assuming that the user details you are entering is an admin on the DPM box ? If that is the case, can you try to set the User Access Control Settings to "Never Notify" and see if the issue gets resolved ? Thanks, Gaurav [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ...

Ambigous SMTP proxy SystemMailbox
Hello, I got dozens occurences of the following error message in my event log: "An ambiguous SMTP proxy SystemMailbox{87B5E52C-4B4F-41E9-BCF9-48D32E95F6C9} was found on 0x2 mailboxes in the DS. The store cannot map this SMTP proxy to a unique Mailbox GUID. " According to the event description at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/result.aspx?EvtSrc=MSExchangeIS&EvtID=9549&ProdName=Exchange&LCID=1033&ProdVer=6.0 this is due to duplicate email instances However, this is a special case since it concerns the SystemMailbox and not regular user mailboxes...

Force REPLY to go back to distribution list
I have an issue whereby a department is insisting that they want their mailing lists marked so that any time anyone clicks REPLY (not "REPLY ALL" - they refuse that as an acceptable solution, it must be REPLY) that the reply message goes back to the distribution list and not the message originator. They further insist that this capability must occur on the mail server (and not on Outlookclient side), since they use a multitude of different mail clients (many on Unix/Linux) and therefore it is a server-side responsibility to make this happen. They say that this capability exists in ...

MS02-011: Authentication Flaw Could Allow Unauthorized Users To Authenticate To SMTP Service
Hello All ! I have problem - when I scan port 25 on our Exchange 5.5 with special XSpider 7.0 port scanner, this program recommend me visit following URL: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS02-011.mspx for delete potential SMTP open relay. After patch downloading and succsessful installing I scan port 25 again and... scanner show me this recommendation again... What wrong?.. How I can eliminate this problem on Exchange 5.5 Help please! Our Exchange 5.5 (with IMC) run on Windows NT 4.0 SP6. Regards, Benjamin. ...

force

Secondary Email Address #2
Would like the ability to check my secondary email address using Outlook 2003. Is it possible? I try to go and another email account in my outlook, it says "You already have a microsoft exchange server account setup. Outlook supports only one Exchange Server account at a time". Neil <neil.christopher@xyz.com> wrote: > Would like the ability to check my secondary email address using > Outlook 2003. Is it possible? I try to go and another email account > in my outlook, it says "You already have a microsoft exchange server > account setup. Outlook supports...

finding cell address
In a large spreadsheet, if you want to find a specific number (e.g. maximum or minimum) -- is there an easy way to find the cell address once excel has returned the answer (besides the "filter & hunt" method). E.g. finding the date of a max temperature in a sheet containing daily temps for 50 years. ...

Email Address Recognition 03-01-10
Good morning. Looking for help in getting Outlook to recognize names in network address book. Received help last week advising to make sure the "Auto Name Recognition" box is checked. In this case, it is. What is the next step? Devid "Devid" <Devid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BA8385DF-4229-4928-8199-F8E52A6BFF63@microsoft.com... > Looking for help in getting Outlook to recognize names in network address > book. Received help last week advising to make sure the "Auto Name > Recognition" box is checked. ...

Forwarding mail from a particular sending
Is it possible to either copy (preferable) or forward email from an external sender to a particular mailbox on an Exchange 2003 system. Thanks, Lou LouP wrote: > Is it possible to either copy (preferable) or forward email from an > external sender to a particular mailbox on an Exchange 2003 system. > > Thanks, > > Lou Via an Outlook rule in the profile for the mailbox that receives the message. ...

SMTP could not connect to any DNS server
Hello group, Some of our mail gets out, some of it doesn't. I can't send mail between two accounts on different domains I manage. In the SMTP queue it always says "SMTP protocol error occurred." But it doesn't list this in the event viewer. I have the same setup at another location with this. 1 DC (DNS/WINS), 1 Exchange server point to the DC for all DNS. the "Configure external DNS servers" is not configured and shouldn't need to be from what I understand. Anyone have any ideas? Should I reinstall the SMTP server on the exchange box? Maybe something screw...

Exchange Address list
How do a make an adresslist based on group membership ? TIA Hans On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 03:05:09 -0800, "Hans Maris" <HansMaris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do a make an adresslist based on group membership ? > >TIA > >Hans See this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;317298 and pay attention to linked at the bottom. Should be all you need. Thanks ! This is exactly what I was looking for ! "Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote: > On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 03:05:09 -0800, "Hans Maris" > <HansMaris@discussions.micros...

I can't auto generate smtp address when I create news account in my domain
I can't auto generate smtp address when I create news account in my domain,but in the root domain or child domain it can work well,whether you create account in their own domain or my domain,who can answer this? thanks bingbingzu althought I can find error message in my event �¼�����: ���� �¼���Դ: MSExchangeSA �¼�����: ���� �¼� ID: 2030 ����: 2005-10-25 �¼�: 10:31:00 �û�: N/A �����: HZ-EMAIL04 ����: ��Ŀ¼���Ҳ��������ʼ���ַ��smtp:zbtestmail9@apac.arcsoft.corp SMTP:zbtestmail9@arcsoft.com.cn X400:c=US;a= ;p=ArcSoft Inc;o=Exchange;s=zbtestmail9...

Forcing an account
Hi All Is there anyway to get Outlook 2002 and/or 2003 to force to use a certain mail account for certain contacts? For example for contact A, B and C I want to always send new messages, replies and forwards via mail account 1 and for contact D, E and F I want to do the same using mail account 2. I don't want this to deviate even if one of these contacts has sent an email to an alternate mail account. Even though I set my main account as the default, when certain emails come in on my other accounts I can't force my replies or forwards to go to a certain account. Are there any hidd...

Address Base
So, the Address Base feature is nice, but how do I configure it without any relative path information? I simply want it to be absolute. I'm creating a package of documents that all link to each other and I would like the client to be able to pick up the whole directory (and subs) and move it anywhere. Thanks! ...

templates to automate email address aditions
We're using Exchange2000 and I'd like to automatically add an email alias to each user. Ive heard templates could do this for me but Im not sure how to use or apply these. Any help appreciated... You can edit or create a recipient policy and update the users with an e-mail address. 822447 How to Modify an SMTP E-Mail Address by Using Recipient Policies 317298 XADM: How to Create E-Mail Addresses Based on Recipient Policies -- Tyrone Cowart Microsoft PSS Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only. This posting is provided "AS ...

Forcing an ActiveX control to serialize it's properties.
Is there a way to force an activeX control to serialize it's properties? Kurt "Kurt" <k_nojunk@larimore.net> wrote in message news:OqS15%23p3DHA.3224@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to force an activeX control to serialize it's properties? > > Kurt > > Kurt, Try getting a pointer to the IPersistStorage interface via QueryInterface. Then call the method IPersistStorage::Save which needs an IStorage* to specify where the properties will be saved to. ...

corrupt smtp message
I had a corrupt or bad piece of mail crash my exch2k services, it brought down the iis and exchange services. I pretty much narrowed it down to a specific message and I'm wondering what about the message could be the problem. It looks like normal piece of mail, there are a lot of recepients in the to: field, but nothing unusual. Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone know what to look for in the mail that would point to the problem? It's surprising to me that exchange would completely lose it over malformed mail setup win2k serve exch2k sp3 savfms gfi mail essential Thanks, ...