Force REPLY to go back to distribution list

I have an issue whereby a department is insisting that they want their
mailing lists marked so that any time anyone clicks REPLY (not "REPLY
ALL" - they refuse that as an acceptable solution, it must be REPLY)
that the reply message goes back to the distribution list and not the
message originator.

They further insist that this capability must occur on the mail server
(and not on Outlookclient side), since they use a multitude of
different mail clients (many on Unix/Linux) and therefore it is a
server-side responsibility to make this happen.

They say that this capability exists in "other" mail servers (running
under Unix), and therefore must exist in Exchange (we're running 2000
Enterprise Edition) as well.

I'm pretty familiar with Exchange, and I can't see a way this could be
done, except perhaps for some sort of third-party bolt-on, although
I've been searching Google for two days with no results.

Suggestions?

For the record, I am aware of the method whereby one routes the mail
through an email address attached to a public folder and then uses an
embedded rule in the public folder to forward the mail back to the
mailing list.

This method is unacceptable to them, since you end up with "FW" in the
subject line, and "This message has been forwarded by a rule" in the
body of the text.

-Reed

<reed.savory@gmail.com> wrote in message
> mailing lists marked so that any time anyone clicks REPLY (not "REPLY
> ALL" - they refuse that as an acceptable solution, it must be REPLY)

Then *they* are the problem.  The fact that they won't accept the truth
doesn't mean the truth still isn't true.  And you can tell them I said that.
Also the fact that they refuse to use the Application properly (by simply
clicking the right button) doesn't make it the Application's fault (or the
Admin's fault).

Next they might want to drive on the left side of the road because it is too
far to drive clear over to the other side of the road to get to the right
side where they should be driving.

--
Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

0
Phillip
6/20/2006 9:51:44 PM
<reed.savory@gmail.com> wrote in message
> They say that this capability exists in "other" mail servers (running
> under Unix), and therefore must exist in Exchange (we're running 2000
> Enterprise Edition) as well.

Ask them to prove that. I'm not going to say it is totally impossible,...but
I would sure be surprised if (comparing apples to apples) there was such a
mail server that could do that.  I think they are "bluffing" you.

How is a client-side action supposed to happen on the server?  It is the
Client that opens the original message, reads the headers, responds to the
Reply "click" (or Reply All click), generates & formats the reply and writes
the initial headers. How is the server, which does not even see the message
till after-the-fact, supposed to know that the user "meant" ReplyAll when
the Header shows that they replied to the normal sender.

Heck even these very newsgroups you have to be smart enough to click the
right button to reply to the group or to the sender.

It takes one mouse lick to click "Reply",....it also takes only one mouse
click to choose "Reply All",...these is no difference,..it is identically
the same amount of work.  Users like that just infuriate me, I'm sorry,...I
know it isn't your fault,...but geesh,...I guess I have no patients for that
stuff.  I think I need to carry a wooden paddle with me down the hall that
has "User Adjustment Tool" written on it.

--
Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

0
Phillip

Who are the recipients for these mailing lists?

What are the emails being sent to these mailing lists?

Can you give us a step-by-step account of what these users want to have
happen? For example...

1) Create email
2) Send to distribution group
3) Email goes out to all mailing list members in the DG
4) Mailing list member receives newsletter
5) Mailing list member hits reply, writes email and sends it
6) All mailing list members receive the reply through the DG
7) Etc

Something like that? Sounds to me they are trying to emulate the sort of
functionality you can get through Yahoo Groups and the like, where any reply
can go to the group as a whole.

<reed.savory@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have an issue whereby a department is insisting that they want their
> mailing lists marked so that any time anyone clicks REPLY (not "REPLY
> ALL" - they refuse that as an acceptable solution, it must be REPLY)
> that the reply message goes back to the distribution list and not the
> message originator.
>
> They further insist that this capability must occur on the mail server
> (and not on Outlookclient side), since they use a multitude of
> different mail clients (many on Unix/Linux) and therefore it is a
> server-side responsibility to make this happen.
>
> They say that this capability exists in "other" mail servers (running
> under Unix), and therefore must exist in Exchange (we're running 2000
> Enterprise Edition) as well.
>
> I'm pretty familiar with Exchange, and I can't see a way this could be
> done, except perhaps for some sort of third-party bolt-on, although
> I've been searching Google for two days with no results.
>
> Suggestions?

Folder List #2
Running Outlook 2000 on an Exchange Server 2000 platform and when I add my Personal Folder to the Folder List in Outlook it puts it at the top of the list the next time Outlook starts. After adding the Personal Folder below Outlook Today but above Public Folders. I would like to keep it where I originally put it. ...

Are barcodes stored? List of all tables in SQL?
Are the barcodes for all the ILCs stored? If so, on what table? Is there a way to get a list of all the tables in the database? Or are the barcodes generated on the fly? Thanks. The ILC is usually the barcode number. Alias can also be used. Barcode type is stored in the item table. It is only needed if you are printing barcodes "Jonathan Smith" <JonathanSmith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F8082ADD-B3F7-4F9C-BAF8-0532B2787068@microsoft.com... > Are the barcodes for all the ILCs stored? If so, on what table? > > Is there a way to get a list ...

Missing text in replies (Outlook 2007)
I am apparently having trouble with formatting for Outlook 2007. When replying to a message, I often see the punctuation marks, which can be very distracting. I know how to hide the punctuation marks (CTRL-Shift-8 or the paragraph symbol on the format ribbon), but then the text I typed disappears (for me and the recipients of the email). And, there are times when I have left the punctuation marks in place and the recipient still cannot see/read what I've written. Help! "Lisa V" <Lisa V@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6086C36C-3927-4688-A99C-98E3...

Create auto-reply rule but don't send
Hello! I've successfully created an auto-reply rule that will generate an e-mail when a specific e-mail subject line is coming in. However i'd like to make two adjustments to it: 1) Auto-add the person's name into the message body (e.g. Dear Joe Smith), if the name is sent with the initial e-mail. 2) Currently my rule auto-sends a response when the keyword message comes in. I'd like it to simply open a new message, 'fill it out', but leave it open so I can review it before it's sent. Is this possible / easy? :-) "phillr" <phillr@dis...

Force Uninstall
All, A coupla questions . . . Suppose I just want to forcefully uninstall Exchange 2000 from a server, and an org. Currently the uninstall fails because (as mentioned in a previous post) I have users that still show as being on that server, however the store that those users were on is no longer there (because of a disaster). Is there some way to force the uninstall? Another question. I have two healthy clustered machines running currently. Suppose I just remove the object for the old exchange server from the ESM? Assuming I have performed all of the other steps steps (like moving o...

make table not replacing table on back end
Access 2003 I have split my database and distributed the FE to users The database has an ODBC connection to Lotus Notes. I create a make table query called q00NonconformMKTbl to dump the data from the Lotus Notes ODBC connection to the tNonconformance table. But since the database is split when i run the Make table it is only updating on my instance of the FE. Is there a why to do a Make table and specify to delete and recreate the table in the BE? It was making me crazy until i figured why only my db was updating with lates data. -- deb Instead of dropping a tab...

forcing user input into cells
howdy all... i'm new to doing stuff with excel have a bit of a background in javascript programming what i'm trying to do is force a user to enter something, anything int a specific cell if the user tries to tab past the cell and leave it blank, i want a error to come up, telling them that they have to enter something befor they can continue on with entry into other cells any help would be much appreciated -Thank -- georgi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- georgio's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=164...

"You have 1 request" doesn't go away
Hello ! Running WLM 2009, on XP Pro SP3. I had 1 request from an unknown person, so I refused, blocked the contact and deleted it from my list. But everytime I connect, the little yellow window saying "You have 1 request" (or something similar, I am translating from Italian) appears; when I click, I open my space, but there I find non request or invitation. Then all runs OK. I cleared messenger cache and history, and reset preferences, but the yellow window appears everytime. How can I get rid of it definitively ? Thanks in advance, Enrico (chicchio) Greetings, It...

Access 2007: bug? quick filter list is sometimes empty
Access 2007 has a great new feature which allows to easily filter by selecting different values from a drop down box on top of each column. However, sometimes the list of values simply is EMPTY in some columns. It seems that this has to do with the complexity of the underlying query. Does anyone know how to circumvent this? Or is it simply a bug? Kind regards Georg When the list of unique choices gets too big they don't show. You have some control over this office button/access options/current database/Filter lookup options (look at bottom of screen). It takes tim...

Replies and signature
I have made a signature in a word table with logos etc and copied it into my signature. This works fine with new messages but when I reply to a message the message I'm replying to is shown to the right of my signature and not below as before How do I stop this please. Also some messages received need to be changed to html so that my reply signature looks correct can I automatically convert all messages to be received as html? Thanks Simon Outlook can't convert plain text to HTML automatically. You'll need to do it before replying - however we don't recommend it...

convert input file with list of paths+filenames output to list of
I have a text file containing a list of path or folder names and filenames, and I wish to convert it to a list of path or folder name only -- using .vbs language (wscript or cscript) Example, the content of the input text file. C:\Users\Alex\Desktop\abc.xls C:\Users\Chong\Desktop\abc.xls C:\Users\Mona\Desktop\abcDEX.xls C:\Users\Siva\Desktop\abc.xls C:\Users\Thong\Desktop\adrbc.xls Output text file : C:\Users\Alex\Desktop C:\Users\Chong\Desktop C:\Users\Mona\Desktop C:\Users\Siva\Desktop C:\Users\Thong\Desktop Please use simple coding. Thank you very much in advanc...

Force quit
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Closing Word get error message &quot;A file error has occurred. Check your network connections or make sure the disk is properly inserted&quot; Am then required to use force quit. Anybody have solution? Make sure Office & OS X are fully updated. If they are & you still encounter the problem, crashing on Quit is usually the result of one of theses causes: Need to repair disk permissions Damaged preference files Corrupt Normal.dotm template See this page for the respective links in t...

No Back Order Option when allocating Fulfillment orders by line
Even though the default quantity shortage option is "Back Order Balance" and all items are set to allow back orders; we cannot get a Back Order option when allocating orders by line. All "help" points out the Back Order options and only say I won't get them if the item doesn't allow back orders. What else could be wrong? When in Sales Transaction Entry, drill-down on the Order Type you are using and make sure that it is marked to "Transfer to Invoice" and that you have an Invoice ID entered there. -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with ...

Changed column width keeps reverting back to original size
When I change the column width on a sheet in a workbook and than save it and select another sheet and then go back to the sheet I had changed, it reverts back to the previous column size. I am trying to change the width of the columns so the worksheet prints on one page. As it is the columns are too wide across so it prints on two pages. The column headings are formatted to word wrap. I have tried to set column widths by going to format and than column and than setting column width and I have tried to click and drag columns to width I want. It works until I leave that page and than come...

Forcing Appointments
I use outlook to schedule appointments with my customers with specific employees. I have a scheduling department that does this scheduling via outlook. The employees have no option to reject or modify these appointments; therefore, I would like to force this on their calendar with them having to accept it and not allowing them to modify it. Additionally, I need to know real time once they are scheduled. Right now I don't know they are scheduled until they accept and that sometimes takes too long and then they are inadvertently double booked by the scheduling department. So how do ...

Macro to sort a predefined list
I need to make a button on my excel sheet that will sort a pre-defined area (A2:K103) on my sheet the same way as selecting the area manually and then selecting sort. Can this be done and how? Record a macro while doing this, then attach it to a button from the forms toolbar -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) <rob_summers@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:G3jEc.9827$pw6.5954@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com... > I need to make a button on my excel sheet that will sort a pre-defined area > ...

Money 2004
I'm trying to set up Money 2004 on my wife's brand new Dell - it came as an OEM package, brand new, never been used. I was able to enter both of our checking and savings accounts. When I selected the financial institution, I was able to draw from a long list of registered institutions. I set up all 4 accounts, no problem. Then I tried to enter a credit card account, but the drop-down financial institutions list was empty except for the one bank I had already used. How do I get the rest of the list back? -Rich In microsoft.public.money, Richard Ogden wrote: >I'm trying to se...

Error message when replying
I have a user who is receiveing this message whenever he tries to reply to an email. He is already using Word as his email editor when he receives the message. We are using email stationary that includes our firm logo. In order to use this stationary the user must have word as the email editor. error message "This form requires word as your email editor, but Word is either busy or cannot be found. The form will be opened in the Outlook editor instead." ...

Inform my Application that the System is going to hibernation (Systemhook?)
Hi there, im looking for a message, that informs my Appication , if the system is going to suspend or hibernate!! Does anyone know about a system hook , or how can I get such a message? Thanks for help cheers filip You can try catching WM_POWERBROADCAST message. -- Un saludo Rodrigo Corral Gonz´┐Żlez [MVP] microsoft.public.es.vc FAQ http://vcfaq.europe.webmatrixhosting.net By cathcing the WM_POWERBROADCAST message you are informed that the system is either going into hibernation or suspend in memory, but is there a way to know which is happening In my case I need to do different ...

Force REPLY to go back to distribution list
I have an issue whereby a department is insisting that they want their mailing lists marked so that any time anyone clicks REPLY (not "REPLY ALL" - they refuse that as an acceptable solution, it must be REPLY) that the reply message goes back to the distribution list and not the message originator. They further insist that this capability must occur on the mail server (and not on Outlookclient side), since they use a multitude of different mail clients (many on Unix/Linux) and therefore it is a server-side responsibility to make this happen. They say that this capability exists in ...

Rename Existing Distribution Lists in Bulk #2
There are many distribution lists name DL - *Something or DL - **Something. This is in the DisplayName and Exchange Alias. I would like to know if there is a script that would allow be to modify the DisplayName and Exchange Alias of these DL's? Any help is appreciated. ...

Error when performing Outlook synchronise or going off-line
I have installed Microsoft CRM v.1.2 int. english on a W2003 server and the CRM-Exchange E-Mail Router on a W2000 Server with Exchane2000. My MS SQL 2000 Server is running on a W2000 Server too. Furthermore I have installed a XP Pro klient with Office 2003. On this computer I have installed the Sales For Outlook client with no errors reported througout the installation. I can work on-line on the CRM-server, send and receive e-mails and promote incomming e-mails. Everuthing seames to work properly. But when I try to syncronise I get an Error message: 'The specified domain either does not ex...

how do i find the manage list
By taking at least a fraction of the time to structure and proof-read the question as you would probably like someone to spend answering it. Regards Ken.................................. "excel" <excel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9816C0A1-D2B2-4B09-92A9-41F6411A93A3@microsoft.com... > ...

force

Out of Office reply
Hello Is there any way for an administrator to configure out of office assistant without opening a users mailbox? Best Regards Heino Yes, see http://www.symprex.com/products/oom/ -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "Heino Skov" <hsk@businessmann_fjern_dette.dk> wrote in message news:40cffe92$0$23871$14726298@news.sunsite.dk... > Hello > > Is there any way for an administrator to configure out of office assistant > without opening a users mailbox? > > > Best Regards > > Heino &g...