Force auto-archive settings for non-domain members.

Hello,

One of my customers has an ongoing problem with huge mailboxes.  They
routinely send and receive large messages (20+MB) internally and externally.
For the internal messages, we're teaching them how to use Sharepoint and
point to the files they want to send, but we're pretty well stuck with the
messages they send and receive externally.  Because of the size issues, we
would like to set a policy to enforce the Auto-Archive settings that should
be applied to each user.  The setup makes this option less clear and that is
where I need the most help.

They have a SBS2003 server with 6 client machines in the office which are
domain members running Windows XP Pro.  They also have about 15 machines out
in the field running XP Pro and XP Home in individual workgroups at each
users house, all running Office 2003 Pro and using RPC/HTTP for mail on
Outlook.

I understand that there is an .adm available in the Office resource kit
which will allow the auto-archive settings to be applied, but that will only
apply to domain members within the container that it is applied to.  Most of
these machines will never physically connect to the domain so that is not a
realistic solution for us.

Is there any other way to force the Auto-Archive settings, specifically at
the Exchange server, applying to all clients with mailboxes in the store?

Thanks,

Mike Shepperd

0
Mike

In news:QsOdnegN0Y7BMU7ZnZ2dnUVZ_rqdnZ2d@comcast.com,
Mike Shepperd <sunfiresolutions a t g mail d o t com> typed:
> Hello,
>
> One of my customers has an ongoing problem with huge mailboxes.  They
> routinely send and receive large messages (20+MB) internally and
> externally. For the internal messages, we're teaching them how to use
> Sharepoint and point to the files they want to send, but we're pretty
> well stuck with the messages they send and receive externally. Because of
> the size issues, we would like to set a policy to enforce
> the Auto-Archive settings that should be applied to each user.  The
> setup makes this option less clear and that is where I need the most
> help.
> They have a SBS2003 server with 6 client machines in the office which
> are domain members running Windows XP Pro.  They also have about 15
> machines out in the field running XP Pro and XP Home in individual
> workgroups at each users house, all running Office 2003 Pro and using
> RPC/HTTP for mail on Outlook.
>
> I understand that there is an .adm available in the Office resource
> kit which will allow the auto-archive settings to be applied, but
> that will only apply to domain members within the container that it
> is applied to.  Most of these machines will never physically connect
> to the domain so that is not a realistic solution for us.
>
> Is there any other way to force the Auto-Archive settings,
> specifically at the Exchange server, applying to all clients with
> mailboxes in the store?
> Thanks,
>
> Mike Shepperd

No; it's entirely an Outlook thing.

Are you sure you want to go down this road? Once the data is in a PST file,
it's pretty much become unmanageable/unsupportable. You probably want to
look into enterprise-level archive products if you can't train your users to
stop sending 40MB PowerPoint presentations to each other rather than using
the file system or Sharepoint.

Use mailbox quotas, and make people manage their own data/storage.

0
lanwench (7567)

Strange Delay sending to a Single Particular Domain
Recently we have started experiencing a delay when sending to a single domain. A little background is necessary here. - Windows 2003 Enterprise server (SP1 and all current patches) - Exchange 2003 Enterprise (All current patches) This server is on a university campus for one "division" of the university. It is in its own domain and uses its own as well as the university's DNS servers. It is having no trouble sending to any email addresses OTHER than those not housed on the server itself but housed on the campuses main email server. The main campus is the subnet "ca...

Object reference is not set to an instance of an object #2
After creating a custom entity, everything worked well. I think things went wrong after I added a N:1 relationship with Account and added the lookup field to my form view. The form seems to work but when pushing the save-button I get the following error message: "Object reference was not set to an instance of an object". If someone had any idea how I can fix this, please let me know! thx -- Erik De Cordt Assusoft nv Hi Erik, I remember having received this error in the past when I had tried to create a relationship without publishing the custom entity first. Publish the cus...

No Archive appearing in folder list
I notice on one of my PC's that the archive folder doesn't appear in the folder list. Is there a way of viewing it in the folder list? Using Office 2000 and XP Home. Open the archive PST using a command on the File menu. I forget the exact path since I'm using OL2003 now. In OL2003 it's File menu > Open > Outlook Data file. It may be similiar in OL2000 "Trevor" <trevor@nospam.woldsweather.plus.com> wrote in message news:5a47d$436499b5$50e5af86$15725@nf5.news-service.com... >I notice on one of my PC's that the archive folder doesn't app...

loosing inbox messages with archive off
INBOX messages older than 7 days disapear even though archiving is turned off. How to resolve? Change your View settings to All Messages, not sure ones that are less than a week old. "vr@pw" wrote: > INBOX messages older than 7 days disapear even though archiving is turned > off. How to resolve? ...

auto fill e-mail address
In Outlook Express I used to be able to enter just the first few letters of an e-mail address in the "To" box and it would automatically fill in the rest. However, now I'm using MS Outlook and I can't figure out how to set it to do the same. Can someone tell me how? Thanks. Only Outlook 2002 and 2003 have this feature and only if you've sent a message to the person before. -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP http://blogs.officezealot.com/cardoza/ Author, Special Edition Using Microsoft Outlook 2003 Author, Absolute Beginner's Guide to OneNote 2003 Lead Author, Ac...

how do i make email addresses for family members office outlook
im trying to find out do i just switch the name thats befor the @or how i do this thay dont have emails at all thanks shad <shad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > im trying to find out do i just switch the name thats befor the @or > how i do this thay dont have emails at all thanks No need to ask more than once. -- Brian Tillman ...

Setting a limit to the number of characters on an Edit box..
How do you set a character limit on an edit box? Use CEdit::SetLimitText: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/c4db48kc.aspx -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com <kefkastudio@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1157049125.043635.81750@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... > How do you set a character limit on an edit box? > You can do this using SetLimitText() in CEdit. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/75bh1f1t.aspx Tom <kefkastudio@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1157049125.043635.81750@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... > How do you set a characte...

Problems reading Spanish character set
I use outlook mail with word as the editor running on Windows XP. I have a Spanish keyboard. If I go to Control Panel-> Date, Time,Language,Regional Options-> Add Other Languages ->Languages-> Text Services and Input Languages->Details I get the following settings: Default Input Language: Spanish (traditional sort) Installed Services-: ES Spanish (International Sort) Advanced Text Services lnk Correction Keyboard Spanish Now, when I type, all is wel...

Add members to DL
Is there any method or tools to add mass members to the DL from outlook 2000 (client)? Thanks a lot. ...

auto-insertion of parentheses
wondering if anyone knows of some shortcut by which you can highlight a section of a formula and have a keystroke which places open and close parentheses around that part of the formula. If it doesn't exist and there are any MS monitors out there, great feature to think about. Thanks anyone. Hi AFAIK there's no such keystroke -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "boris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:09ed01c4ab64$9dc1a750$3a01280a@phx.gbl... > wondering if anyone knows of some shortcut by which you > can highlight a...

Exchange 2010 Archive Enabled
Hi, With Exchange 2010 there is the option to enable online archiving for users. These are then available in Exchange WebApp (OWA) and Outlook 2010. I have heard that there is a patch or Service Pack to enable Outlook 2007 to access the online archive. Is this so? If so, what article describes this? Regards ...

outlook xp account settings
in outlook 2000 there was a way to back up account information via the tools>accounts, i often have to switch computers and am looking for a way to do the same thing in outlook xp ...

Setting Up a Recurring Meeting for 3rd Tuesday of Each Month
I know this is a basic question, but we just migrated from Lotus Notes to Outlook and I am having trouble finding features.... How do I set up a meeting to occur the 3rd Tueday of each month? I found the repeating option, but if I say repeat every 4th week, it doesn't necessarily fall on the 3rd Tuesday. Is there a way to do this without the add-in (Corporate Apps does now allow us to purchase / add add-ins for software due to "security" reasons). You don't state a) what version of Outlook you're using b) whether or not you're connecting to an Exchange server...

xsd.exe Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
I am trying to generate a class from an xsd and i get this error. Microsoft (R) Xml Schemas/DataTypes support utility [Microsoft (R) .NET Framework, Version 1.1.4322.573] Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1998-2002. All rights reserved. Error: Error generating classes for schema 'adf_message'. - Object reference not set to an instance of an object. If you would like more help, please type "xsd /?". The XSD files all validate in VS.Net and in XMLspy. I can't find any documentation to help track down what this means or how to correct this. Could someone point me i...

Server side auto reply
We have a website feedback mailbox customers send info to. We would like to create an auto reply for that mailbox. I know if you set one up on the client side of the mailbox it will only work if you are logged in to the mailbox. I heard there is a server side rule you can setup on the box. Is this true? Is there a way to set up a server side rule to auto reply to messages even if we are not logged into that mailbox? On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 06:59:28 -0800, "WetBehindEars" <WetBehindEars@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We have a website feedback mailbox customers sen...

New versions of outlook client and auto replies
I am trying to get our IT guy to put an auto reply on messages with attachments that come in to one specific email address. We use an Exchange Server. He says that the newer versions of outlook client only send one reply a week to avoid a looping problem. Does anyone know if this is correct or is he just trying to avoid putting on a autoreply as he is afraid of that looping effect. (auto reply to auto reply to auto reply etc.) Thanks Wendy Outlook 2003 has a rule that can be setup to not Reply to Auto Reply Messages "Wendy" wrote: > > I am trying to get our IT guy to pu...

How do I set up a botton on Excel 2003 to go to the next sheet?
I want to create a "Next Page Button" on an Excel 2003 spreadsheet to go to the next sheet. When entries are complete a person can just click the "button" and go to the next steps (next sheet) in the spreadsheet. Thanks, Bruce You CAN press Ctrl/Page down, but if you insist on a button: Sub NextSheet() On Error Resume Next 'may be on last sheet Sheets(Activesheet.Index+1).Activate End Sub "Bruce" wrote: > I want to create a "Next Page Button" on an Excel 2003 spreadsheet to go to > the next sheet. When entries are ...

per-user delivery restrictions do not override global settings In
I have set the global delivery restrictions to 3MB, and most of the users are on default settings on their mailboxes. I have increased my send and receive limits to 10MB, and it will not send an e-mail out over the default size. But when I change the global restriction to "No Limit", it then allows me to send the message with the large attachment. Any ideas? What version of Exchange and exactly where you set global restriction? bob_french wrote: > I have set the global delivery restrictions to 3MB, and most of the users are > on default settings on their mailboxes. I...

how do i set up a web share point for free
I would like to share office related documents on a web share point i dont know how to set up and is it for free and secure "jacob" <jacob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2C47E6FD-AFB8-402F-B3A5-1BA2A2BC57FC@microsoft.com... > I would like to share office related documents on a web share point i dont > know how to set up and is it for free and secure Windows Live Sky Drive http://www.windowslive.co.uk/skydrive.aspx and/or Office Live http://www.officelive.com/en-GB/ are two that spring to mind... ...

Auto case creation
Hi, Does CRM 3.0 come with the funtionality to automatically track emails and create a case id without the need to manually click on the Track in CRM button in outlook? many thanks Alan 1. Yes there is a way to auto track emails in 3.0. You can have all email automatically tracked or depending on email containing a microsoft crm token Microsoft CRM Menu >> Option > General > [Select the e0mail messages to track in Microsoft CRM] 2. There is no "out of box" support to auto create a case from an incoming email. Take a look at c360 solutions on email to case. ...

Active Directory security settings disappearing
Hello Everyone: During these last couple of days, we have been experiencing issues with certain security settings within AD. Issue: I go to "Person A's" profile in the ADUC snap-in and add "Person B" with certain permissions within "Person A's" security tab. I wait about 40min - 2hrs and "Person B" and the permission applied are gone. It seems as if somehow the permissions are reverting during replication. Troubleshooting steps taken: 1) We re-added the "Person B" with appropriate permissions from 4 different domain controller...

Setting protected cell
I have protection turned on and now cannot write to a protected cell with my VBA code.. DateCompleted = Now() The cell addressed by DateCompleted works fine when the sheet is unprotected. When I run protected I get Run-time Error '1004' Application-defined or object-defined error The Cell does have conditional formating What am I doing wrong? "Bruce A. Julseth" <bruceaj_nospam@bellsouth.net> said this in news item news:#6uDSCmjKHA.5608@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > I have protection turned on and now cannot write to a prot...

not a valid web archive"
I was wondering if someone could help me: I've got this MS excel file that I'm downloading from a website - it downloads fine but when I go to open it, it pops a message up saying: '"myfilename.xls" not a valid web archive' What does this mean and how do I open the excel file?? thanks Adam ...

Set form field on double click
I am using MS Access 2003. I have a continuous form that is run off of a query "srbScientific Review". The query's criteria is set to [Enter Last Name] in the LastName field. That part works fine. I get my continuous form that shows LastName, DocID, and Title of Document. I would like to double click on the DocID and have the following happen: 1. Open another form "publications" 2. Set the SRBId field to the DocId field that I double clicked on. PLEASE help. I think I need to bookmark, clone.... I'm very confused. As a kick in the right ...

Exchange Migration to another domain
Hello, We need to migrate everything from one domain to another. Old domain is based on win2000 and Exchange 2000. New domain has new win2003 domain controller and it's also Exchange2003. I am trying to use ADMT 2.0 and it's working fine for moving user accounts, servers, but can i move mailboxes and public folders? It did not work for me. Is there document describing moving Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003 in another domain? Thank you -- Ilya You are doing a Inter-org migration so you'll need to use the Migration wizard. http://support.microsoft.com/?id=328871 Nue "ILYA...