Flushing Exchange Server Message Queue

Hi.  Somebody used the exchange server to relay 40,000 + messages. I was able
to stop outgoing mail before they went.  Now I need to get rid of these
messages before I turn outgoing mail back on.  How can I do that?  I can use
the Find but it is very slow to delete messages. Any other solutions?

I did harden the server some to stop relaying and external connections.  I
need to learn more and secure ot more.

Thanks
0
WillyK (5)

What verson of Exchange?

Move the messages from the queue folder to another folder. You can delete
these if you're confident all of them are bad.
--
Bharat Suneja
MVP - Exchange

"WillyK" <WillyK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi.  Somebody used the exchange server to relay 40,000 + messages. I was
> able
> to stop outgoing mail before they went.  Now I need to get rid of these
> messages before I turn outgoing mail back on.  How can I do that?  I can
> use
> the Find but it is very slow to delete messages. Any other solutions?
>
> I did harden the server some to stop relaying and external connections.  I
> need to learn more and secure ot more.
>
> Thanks

0
bharat3597 (1006)
10/18/2006 2:14:03 PM
Thanks

It is SBS 2003 SP1.

the SMTP service is not stopping. Should I shut down all the exchage
services before moving the messages out of the que folder?

"Bharat Suneja [MVP]" wrote:

> What verson of Exchange?
>
> Move the messages from the queue folder to another folder. You can delete
> these if you're confident all of them are bad.
> --
> Bharat Suneja
> MVP - Exchange
> www.zenprise.com
> NEW blog location:
> www.exchangepedia.com/blog
>

> "WillyK" <WillyK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi.  Somebody used the exchange server to relay 40,000 + messages. I was
> > able
> > to stop outgoing mail before they went.  Now I need to get rid of these
> > messages before I turn outgoing mail back on.  How can I do that?  I can
> > use
> > the Find but it is very slow to delete messages. Any other solutions?
> >
> > I did harden the server some to stop relaying and external connections.  I
> > need to learn more and secure ot more.
> >
> > Thanks

0
WillyK (5)
10/18/2006 2:40:02 PM
Stop SMTP. You may need to Disable it and then reboot the server. Then
find your Queue folder (C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Mailroot\vsi 1\Queue
by default). And move all the files there to another location. Start
SMTP.

WillyK wrote:
> Thanks
>
> It is SBS 2003 SP1.
>
> the SMTP service is not stopping. Should I shut down all the exchage
> services before moving the messages out of the que folder?
>
> "Bharat Suneja [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > What verson of Exchange?
> >
> > Move the messages from the queue folder to another folder. You can delete
> > these if you're confident all of them are bad.
> > --
> > Bharat Suneja
> > MVP - Exchange
> > www.zenprise.com
> > NEW blog location:
> > www.exchangepedia.com/blog
> >

> > "WillyK" <WillyK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi.  Somebody used the exchange server to relay 40,000 + messages. I was
> > > able
> > > to stop outgoing mail before they went.  Now I need to get rid of these
> > > messages before I turn outgoing mail back on.  How can I do that?  I can
> > > use
> > > the Find but it is very slow to delete messages. Any other solutions?
> > >
> > > I did harden the server some to stop relaying and external connections.  I
> > > need to learn more and secure ot more.
> > >
> > > Thanks

Thank you Bharat and Robert. That worked.

Willy

"Robert Larson" wrote:

> Stop SMTP. You may need to Disable it and then reboot the server. Then
> find your Queue folder (C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Mailroot\vsi 1\Queue
> by default). And move all the files there to another location. Start
> SMTP.
>
> WillyK wrote:
> > Thanks
> >
> > It is SBS 2003 SP1.
> >
> > the SMTP service is not stopping. Should I shut down all the exchage
> > services before moving the messages out of the que folder?
> >
> > "Bharat Suneja [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> > > What verson of Exchange?
> > >
> > > Move the messages from the queue folder to another folder. You can delete
> > > these if you're confident all of them are bad.
> > > --
> > > Bharat Suneja
> > > MVP - Exchange
> > > www.zenprise.com
> > > NEW blog location:
> > > www.exchangepedia.com/blog
> > >

> > > "WillyK" <WillyK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
WillyK (5)
10/18/2006 3:28:02 PM
WillyK <WillyK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>It is SBS 2003 SP1.
>
>the SMTP service is not stopping.

With a lot of messages in the outbound queues it may a little while
for the service to stop. How long did you wait before you decided it
wasn't stopping? More than two minutes, I hope. :-)

>Should I shut down all the exchage
>services before moving the messages out of the que folder?

No, just the SMTP service.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

upgrading from exchange 2000 to exchange 2003
i have 5 servers all running windows 2000 and one of them is running exchange 2000. what is the procedure if i want to upgrade from exchange 2000 to 2003? do i have to upgrade windows 2000 to windows 2003 FIRST on the exchange server and then upgrade exchange to 2003? or can i upgrade exchange to 2003 first and then upgrade that server from windows 2000 to 2003? any help would be appreciated. You have to upgrade Exchange first - then the OS. Reason : Exchange 2000 will not run on Windows 2003. -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warrantie...

Outlook2003 & Exchange 5 problem
Hi, Don't know if this is just a compatibility issue or not. I can receive and reply w/o any problem, however when I conduct a new message to the same address. It goes undelivered and never get a message stating it was undeliverable. The test was done from my yahoo account. When I put the recipient's address inside double quotes, the message goes through fine. Thus I'm suspecting a compatibility issue between Outlook2003 and Exchange5.0 w/sp 2. Microsoft doesn't recommend using Outlook 2003 with 5.0 or 5.5. Outlook 2k3 has been know to corrupt Information stores on Exch...

Outlook / Exchange out of office
I use outlook / exchange at work. I've just experienced, again, the irritating situation where I send an email to a colleague addressed via the corporate Global Address List only to have the out of office notification returned to me. I now have to go to my sent mail box, find the mail that I sent and resend it to the original addressee's boss for action. It would be most useful if one of the following could happen instead of the simple 'J Bloggs is out of the office until monday': a) when I enter the address in the To: line and hit Ctrl+K for name checking, if I could...

how to flush away undo commands?
how can I flush away undo commands? I use excel 2003 or 2007. Thanks. Hi Kang, > how can I flush away undo commands? > I use excel 2003 or 2007. > For example: ActiveCell.Formula = ActiveCell.Formula Regards, Jan Karel Pieterse Excel MVP http://www.jkp-ads.com Member of: Professional Office Developer Association www.proofficedev.com ...

Error message #32
Hi Excel 2000 I have seen the error message: 'Not enough system resources to display completely'. The only resolution I have ever found is to rebuild system completely. Is there another workaround for this? Thanks -- Martin Hereford UK ...

Exchange Sales Figures
Anyone know where I could find fugures on the number of copies of Exchange 2000 and 2003 that MS has sold. Or how many Exchange Servers are deployed worldwide? I don't need exact figures, but I don't need guesses either. Any ideas/help appreciated :) -- Rodney Buike MVP Windows Server - Directory Services http://thelazyadmin.com *** This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. *** Err, why don't you ask your lead to ask my lead? That'd work. Because that would be too easy! Rod "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps...

Flushing Logs
What happens when you dismount the store? How about when you stop the services? Microsoft told me the best way to backup the information store is to dismount the info store and to copy it to a different hard drive or tape. Does stopping the services act like dismounting the store? Thanks, Scott stosti <stosti@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >What happens when you dismount the store? The uncommitted transactions for the dismounted store are committed. >How about when you stop the >services? The uncommitted transactions for all the databases are committed. &g...

Address space problems on IMC ( Exchange 5.5 )
We have several IMC's but we want emails from certain outside domains to use a particular IMC, and not all of them, but have this IMC only process emails for this domain ( it sends it all to a smart host ).... We have configured address space on all IMC for this outside domain, have set the cost higher on all IMCs beside the preferred one, but it still seems to only use the * address space. If we set the cost higher for the * address space on that particular IMC, all emails for all domains including one listed in the address space goes trough other IMC's... If we set the * addr...

#REF Displayed
>-----Original Message----- >There are formulas, but they may be as simple as > >='C:\foo\bar\[xyz.zls]SheetX'!Y99 > >Show us the *full* formulas in the cells containing external reference links >that evaluate to #REF! or #N/A. > In the examples below, both data links access data from the same file and worksheet. One formula works, the other does not. Once I open the file the formulas link to, all formulas work. There are a total of 21 cells that link to data from the same file. 19 links work, two return the #REF or #N/A. Here's a forumla from a ...

Exchange Archiving
Is anyone familar with Zantaz's (EAS) Exchnage archiving product? Any opinons on it or suggestions for alternatives? Thanks, Jeff ...

Backup DPM 2010 to another DPM 2010 server
How would i go about doing this? i don't see the option in the same place as i did in DPM 2007. Thanks. ...

Disclaimer in Exchange 2003
How can i setup a disclaimer in every single outgoing mail in Exchange 2003 organization? Download the trial version of GFI Mail Essentials from www.gfi.com/me. After the trial expires the disclaimer function & 1 DNSBL still function. Patrick Rouse Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server >-----Original Message----- >How can i setup a disclaimer in every single outgoing mail in Exchange 2003 organization? >. > ...

SBS2008 Std config Server Question
I am building a new server that will run SBS2008 Standard. I have the option of a 1-proc/8gb RAM or a 2-proc/16gb RAM for about $700 more. What advantages do I have running a dual proc with 16GB vs. the single with 8GB in an SBS2008 Std (non virtualized) environment? I'm just trying justify the cost. Richard K wrote: > I am building a new server that will run SBS2008 Standard. I have the > option of a 1-proc/8gb RAM or a 2-proc/16gb RAM for about $700 more. What > advantages do I have running a dual proc with 16GB vs. the > single with 8GB in an SBS2008 St...

Error code 80040204 event on CRM server caused by workflow
errors seem to be caused by rules owned by CRM users with Admin rights and invoked by them. What account should run the workflow services? Manual run of these automatic rules seems to work. Hey Steve, I have the same problem, and Look at this blog: http://blog.customereffective.com/blog/2008/03/automatic-workf.html This resolved my problem. "Steve" wrote: > errors seem to be caused by rules owned by CRM users with Admin rights and > invoked by them. What account should run the workflow services? > Manual run of these automatic rules seems to work. ...

System.IO.StreamWriter Close or Flush method to shut down the computer in such a way that just part of the file is written? or an empty file is written? Also if the Close or Flush is to a streamwriter
System.IO.StreamWriter Close or Flush method to shut down the computer in such a way that just part of the file is written? or an empty file is written? Also if the Close or Flush is to a streamwriter writing to a network share, is it possible for the network to go down in such a way that the tartet file is only partialy written? or are there some kind of check sums to prevent this. Daniel wrote: > System.IO.StreamWriter Close or Flush method to shut down the computer in > such a way that just part of the file is written? I don't know if I understood this... Do you want to make ...

Deleting Test Messages
Hi I am running Outlook 2002 on a Win XP box. I have 8 e-mail accounts, when I was setting them, as part of the e-mail set-up wizard I pressed the 'Test account settings' button. This works fine BUT for the accounts I only want to receive mail from because I don't have access to the SMTP server of those accounts a test message is sent. This of course fails. Every time I run Outlook now it tries to send these test messages, how do I delete them ?? as they do not show in the outbox folder. Many thanks, Jiddster jid@mi55.screaming.net You can also try to set the SMTP server of y...

Emails sent through CRM not coming to exchange mailbox
Hi, I have a situation in our test environment where emails that we are sending from CRM are not coming through to the exchange mailbox. Any ideas? Hi, This may seem like a basic question, but have you installed the exchange router? Regards, Niths "SophieK" wrote: > Hi, > > I have a situation in our test environment where emails that we are sending > from CRM are not coming through to the exchange mailbox. Any ideas? Please ignore my previous post. Have you checked the SMTP settings provided during the installation of the CRM server? HTH, Niths "Sophie...

error when deleting mailbox in exchange 55
Hi, i am having problems when trying to delete a mailbox in my exch 55. i receive the error c1040af4. does anybody know how to solve it? ...

setup was unable to find an instance of the microsoft CRM server c
please help 1 domain controller with Exchange, IIS, CRM, and SQL. 1 workstation with winxp sp2. I CAN NOT install CRM Sales for outlook on client. I am administrator of the local box and domain. Both computers are in same domain. NIC NOT firewalled. Everything worked fine in the test environment but not in live network. just like everyone else. i do have SSL on server as well.. i think this may be the problem... First, is the CRM server functional? Be sure to check that the SQL/CRM services are running on the server. Second, are you able to access it via the web interface? If so, w...

Redirecting mail Exchange 2003
Community, I work at a college and we have a student who is sending harrassing messages to various staff members at random. I don't want to BLOCK his email address from sending here, but I want to redirect his mail to an administrative inbox so we can keep a record for legal purposes--in case the guy goes nutty and shoots the place up. Since he sends to people at random, I can't setup client side rules...is this something I can do for the Exchange site as a whole? Thanks for any help here. To capture all inbound and outbound mail to/from the user, you can move the mailbox t...

How to delete or flush Servers Queues for exch 2003 ?
I have just discovered that there are tons of garbage mails queuing under the Server Queue (i.e. Exchange System Manager: Administrative Group -> ServerN -> Queues ->queueX). To avoid flooding the Internet, I have frozen/Disabled the server's outbound mail. Can someone tell me how to delete the queues manually or flush the mails in the queues ? Thanks. Leo "> Can someone tell me how to delete the queues manually or flush the mails in > the queues ? > > Thanks. > > Leo I'm still learning the ins-n-outs of Exch2K3, but I think that MS KB artic...

SQL Server not recognizing aliased table
I've recently upsized an Access b.e. to SQL Server 2000. Most of it is running great, with very few application modifications. However, I am having trouble with one report. The query that this report is based on is based on two subqueries (both of which run fine from within Access). However, when I try to run the reports query, I get an error message: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server] The correlation name 'tbl_Nodes_1' is specified multiple times in a FROM clause. (#1011) [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Line1: Incorrect syntax near dbo. (#1...

Delay accessing Exchange server
I recently upgraded my PC to use Windows XP with the Office XP suite. When ever I use Outlook to access my email I get the window "Requesting Data from..." I have tested another PC running windows 2000 and Office 2000 and it doesn't do the same thing. Does anybody know why Office XP/Outlook causes this delay? Thanks Ron ...

Move Exchange 2003 mailboxes to Exchange 5.5 server
Yes, you heard me right. My company's being acquired and I need to migrate mailboxes from my EX2k3 server to an EX5.5 server. Since the users will be getting new email addresses anyway, I'm thinking of just exporting the mailboxes, setting up the users' Outlook accounts and merging the mailboxes in manually to their new accounts. Any ideas? Will my idea work? You probably just want to exmerge the mail out of the 2K3 stores to .PSTs and start off fresh. Don't even merge the mail back into the 5.5 stores being that the users are getting new mailboxes and addresses. So...

Exchange 2k Journaling Problem
The company I work for is going to be moving locations in the next couple of months and, due to the move and several other factors, our email server will be down for a couple of days. As a stop gap measure, we have contracted with a 3rd party, Front Bridge AMC, to handle the email for us during that time period. The Front Bridge AMC maintains 30 days worth of email for each user and allows web access to their email, similiar to OWA. Email that arrives from an external source (hotmail for example) destined for the company I work for is captured, as is internal email destined for outsi...