First routing group

We have a front end and a back end server topology. What does the first
routing group do? Will both servers send email or does the back end server do
this only? I cannot find much info on what the first routing group actually
does when there is a front end back end server topology. Should both servers
be sending receiving mail>
0
mattr2110 (8)

Hi
a routing group is to group servers together that have a relyable high
bandwith connection
if you want to set message size, time frame, permissions on a route between
exchange servers then you would group them in different routing groups.

thats for the "what are routing groups for" question.

in your case you don't need a routing group. but you should decide whether
or not your FE is also for SMTP internet connection. This is not nesseccarily
the case. but if you want to, then at least the private information store
should be mounted otherwise you don't need to mount the stores and can stop
msexchangeis service

henry

"mattr2110" wrote:

> We have a front end and a back end server topology. What does the first
> routing group do? Will both servers send email or does the back end server do
> this only? I cannot find much info on what the first routing group actually
> does when there is a front end back end server topology. Should both servers
> be sending receiving mail>
0
Henry1 (156)
4/27/2007 1:58:02 PM
So since both my front end and back end are members of the first routing
group are they both by default used for SMTP internet connection?

Can the front end server be deleted from the members folder?

0
mattr2110 (8)
4/27/2007 2:10:02 PM
first of all: don't delete any kind of exchange server from routing groups.

in your case, if you don't created a internet mail connector and both
virtual smtp servers use dns to route mail the virtual smtp server of your
mailbox server is used because there are the mailboxes hosted.

Henry

"mattr2110" wrote:

> So since both my front end and back end are members of the first routing
> group are they both by default used for SMTP internet connection?
>
> Can the front end server be deleted from the members folder?

0
Henry1 (156)
4/27/2007 2:18:02 PM
I thought a front end server was just used for web mail and it just connected
to the back end server so users can access their mailbox. Is this just
internal? Do both server do internal SMTP?
0
mattr2110 (8)
4/27/2007 2:32:00 PM
You are correct in your assupmtion, an FE is primarily used for
OWA/ActiveSync requests.  When a connection occurs for OWA, etc. it routes
the connection to the BE for data viewing and transmission.  Nothing more, as
long as the "This server is a Front End Server" box is ticked.  If it is,
then all other Excahnge related services can be stopped since they will not
be used.
The BE is the only server that does any sort of SMTP messaging.  The FE is
HTTP/S.

Hope this helps.

"mattr2110" wrote:

> I thought a front end server was just used for web mail and it just connected
> to the back end server so users can access their mailbox. Is this just
> internal? Do both server do internal SMTP?
0
kage13 (32)
4/27/2007 4:50:00 PM
We do have a FE BE topology but what I don't understand is on the FE server
it generates SMTP logs everyday. I was trying to track down a message and was
able to find it using message tracking located on the FE server, I could not
locate it on the BE server. Why is that?

Thanks
0
mattr2110 (8)
4/27/2007 5:20:02 PM
Open up ESM and go to Administrative Groups - <Routing Group> - Servers - FE
server name - right click Properties.
For this to be a 'true' FE then you only need to have "This is a front-end
server" ticked.  Everything else can be left clear.
If you are finding SMTP logs on the FE then "Enable message tracking" must
be ticked.  If it is, then it will generate SMTP log files for tracking
purposes using the Message Tracking Center under Tools.  But this option
should be ticked on the BE, not the FE.
Make sense?

"mattr2110" wrote:

> We do have a FE BE topology but what I don't understand is on the FE server
> it generates SMTP logs everyday. I was trying to track down a message and was
> able to find it using message tracking located on the FE server, I could not
> locate it on the BE server. Why is that?
>
> Thanks
0
kage13 (32)
4/27/2007 5:30:02 PM
Yes that makes sense thanks

0
mattr2110 (8)
4/27/2007 6:02:00 PM
Messaging tracking is different than SMTP logging, so I still don't know why
I get activity in my smtp logs on the front end server?
0
mattr2110 (8)
4/27/2007 7:52:06 PM
Hi,

Is there a SMTP connector and is that connector using the fe server as the
bridgehead?

If yes all external mails will go thru the fe server and therefore create
mesage tracking logs.

Leif

"mattr2110" <mattr2110@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Messaging tracking is different than SMTP logging, so I still don't know
> why
> I get activity in my smtp logs on the front end server?

First in First out
I need help in figuring out how to implement FIFO. I order a product and it is put in inventory with a PO and price. Then I may order some more in a few months before I use up all the old, it is added in with its own PO and price. Now when I take out of inventory I want to use up all the items from the first order then switch to the next one. Any help would be nic Thank Ji You need a date stamp at the time the product into inventory. Maybe use an "expected arrival" date on the PO. But how does this relate to Excel? Questions like this should be directed to: http://www.allexpert...

Moving Groups from OE to Outlook
Hi, One of our staff wishes to move rather a large number of large groups from their contacts in Outlook Express to MS Outlook. Contacts (as individuals) move across OK, but not Groups. Effectively we want the same groups in existence in Outlook as Groups or Distribution Lists or whatever they're called Thanks in advance Groups in the WAB are not the same as DL's in Outlook. Importing Contacts from OE rarely if every preserves these groups. Occasionally I have seen Outlook's Import Wizard create DL's from groups, but it was only with one version and most often grou...

How do I print just the first page in my received email
To me it looks like I can either print all, even or odd pages only. can I just print first page only, and how do I do that? HTML messages can be printed one page at a time if you use File, Print on the menu. You can also Edit a plain text message to change it to HTML be able to use File, Print. "PeterM" wrote: > To me it looks like I can either print all, even or odd pages only. can I > just print first page only, and how do I do that? > > Many thanks Mary..........When I'm looking at my email (please remember, this is my 3 day with outlook) how do I cha...

Group nesting question
Is it possible to nest several security groups in a distribution list with the intent of being able to send an email to all members of the distribution list? (Exchange 2003 Sp1 AD 2003 J No. -- Thanks, Brian Desmond Windows Server MVP www.briandesmond.com "J" <J@email.com> wrote in message news:%23Ud0cP1dFHA.3328@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Is it possible to nest several security groups in a distribution list with > the intent of being able to send an email to all members of the > distribution list? (Exchange 2003 Sp1 AD 2003 > > J > ...

New Exchange Routing Group in child domain / site
I have just finished installing a child domain (leaf node) and installing a exchange server for that new domain. First problem I had was that when my email was coming in via the main domain it was sending some of the public folder emails over to the sub domain (witch I had not configured for public folders) So I placed each domain in its own routing group, created a routing connect (both ways) pointing at each other as well as SMTP Connectors with * and cost of 1 (all default settings in each location / routing group. These server will be split via a T1 and both will receive email (ma...

incorrect MTA route?
Hi I've recently started getting this error message on Exchange 2003 Exchange mistakenly attempted mail delivery to an incorrect MTA route any ideas how to resolve it? Thanks Rich This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0514_01C56C16.212AA390 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Is this error and NDR, or an event ID log. "Richard" <rcowell%nospam%@britainusa.com> wrote in message = news:eSG2tYDbFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... Hi I've recently started getting thi...

the first
-- zdx840626��sina.com ...

group emails
How can I set up group emails with Outlook 97? Do you mean setting up distribution lists with Outlook 97 or categories or what? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: Sigi <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked: | How can I set up group emails with Outlook 97? I would like to be able to choose several of my "contacts"=20 from the OUTLOOK 97 and group them into one address, so=20 that I do not have to go through selecting them each time,=20 but rather jus...

Uncollapse Grouped Rows on a Proctected worksheet
I have grouped rows on a worksheet then protected the worksheet to prevent users from inserting rows. I would like to collapse the rows so the user only sees the group descriptions. I would then like them to uncollapse the group they wish to enter in. Any suggestions? Thanks. This setting isn't remembered between closing/reopening the workbook. (So Auto_open is a nice spot for it.) Option Explicit Sub auto_open() Dim wks As Worksheet Set wks = Worksheets("sheet1") With wks .Protect Password:="hi", userinterfaceonly:=True .Enabl...

Possible to restore deleted storage group?
We recently had a crash on our server, and I was able to get the e- mail back up and running. We did, however, re-organize the storage groups and mailbox stores. Now when I go in to restore a database from NTBackup ( via the Information store interface, not simply backing up the files ), it fails on restore. I have a feeling it is due to the original store is no longer there. I've tried re-creating the store and then doing a restore, but I doubt the GUID is the same. Is there a process to accomplish this? I need to restore some e-mails I missed, and hope to figure this out. ...

Summary Query based on First Occurrence
I've got a list of invoices for businesses, some which have multiple invoices on a given day. I want to be able to return ONLY the First Day a customer was invoiced AND the TOTAL for just that day. Here's what the data looks like: Account InvoiceDate TotBill A B C Corp. 20041231 3500.00 A B C Corp. 20041231 9500.00 A B C Corp. 20050131 1500.00 A B C Corp. 20050131 2000.00 BARBERS INC. 20041431 1500.00 BARBERS INC. 20041431 12000.00 BARBERS INC. 20050131 300.00 BARBERS INC. 20050131 470.00 Ideally, my Qu...

Outlook 2003 slow opening first html msg
Anyone else noticed a slowdown recently when opening the first html formatted message in Outlook 2003? It might have occurred during the recent MS updates, or it might be where I upgraded to IE7. That all happened about the same time. On my Pentium 800 with .5gb of ram, the message frame appears in about 20 seconds and the contents in another 20 seconds. This seems to only happen on the first e-mail to be opened. The next opens instantly. Dave ...

Account Group ID
I created an account group id with it's associated GL accounts. When I create/edit an asset the Account Group ID doesn't get saved with the asset. It disappears after I hit save. Is this the expectec behavior? I can't find anything in the manuals about this. Thanks!!! I just found the resolution in the Knowledge Base: TechKnowledge Content Issue I have just created an asset in the Asset General Information window. I added an Account Group ID to the card, but after I saved the record the Account Group ID has disappeared. -----------------------------------------------------...

Transforming first n nodes
I have a large xml (35MB) and I need to transform its top 200 rows using an xsl (in ASP.Net web app). Is this possible to do it in an efficient manner? Thanks. You can subclass XmlTextReader and make a custom one that only return first N elements. Then you can use it to load data into XPathDocument and do a transfer. Yan "Salman" <salman_z_g@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Oa7kJoiMEHA.1192@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... >I have a large xml (35MB) and I need to transform its top 200 rows using an > xsl (in ASP.Net web app). > Is this possible to do it in an efficient...

Concatenate first:last! worksheet
I need to concatenate 150 rows in 50 different worksheets for a totals page, and may need to add additional worksheets in later versions. So, I need P7 in all 50 worksheets to be concatenated on P6 in the totals page, P8 in all worksheets to be concatenated on P7 in the totals page, etc. I am wondering if it's possible to use something like first:last! to concatenate the worksheet range, making it possible to include additional sheets added in before the current last worksheet. I am using "&" for the concatenate function now as I have more than 30 sheets ...

Toolbar doesn't react on first click.
Hello everyone. I create program with one toolbar and few CWnd objects in CFrameWnd. Only one window (CWnd) is shown at time. When I start some action on this window (OnLButtonUp and OnlButtonDown) program makes few expensive calculation, next he hides window (SW_HIDE), and shows another (SW_SHOW). But sometimes when I make double-click on window, everything show OK, but toolbar freeze (doesn't react on first click and I must click him once more). I try to override OnLButtonDblClk but my application never goes in to. I thing the problem are messages that are pushed to queue when pr...

Locating first blank cell
I am looking for a macro that will select the first blank (empty) cell in a given column please. Thanks, Mike Hi Mike Sub test() Dim GivenColumn As Long GivenColumn = 1 Columns(GivenColumn).Find(What:="", _ After:=Cells(1, GivenColumn), _ LookAt:=xlWhole).Select End Sub HTH. Best wishes Harald "Mike W" <mike@ehb-docks.fsbusiness.co.uk> skrev i melding news:dcq6va$97d$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk... > I am looking for a macro that will select the first blank (empty) cell in a > given column please. > > Thanks, > > Mike > > Brilliant...

Outlook 2003 Group Policy and encoding settings
I am trying to deploy the following Outlook 2003 settings via group policy: Auto-select encoding for outgoing messages - Enabled Encoding for outgoing messages - Enabled. But when I configure "Encoding for outgoing messages - Enabled", the setting "Auto-select encoding for outgoing messages" is ignored and on the client side is applied as Disabled, although I have set it to Enabled. When I configure "Encoding for outgoing messages - Not Configured", the setting "Auto-select encoding for outgoing messages" works as expected. Is this some kind of a ...

Calculate due date 1 or 2 years ahead to the first of the followi.
Issue date is June 12,2004. Certificate is valid ( 24 months ) to July 01, 2006. How do I create this is XL? Hi =DATE(YEAR(A1)+2,MONTH(A1),DAY(A1)) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Wayne wrote: > Issue date is June 12,2004. Certificate is valid ( 24 months ) to > July 01, 2006. How do I create this is XL? I modified your's ... does this make sence..seem's to work =DATE(YEAR(B2)+2,MONTH(B2)+1,DAY(B2)-DAY(B2)+1) "Frank Kabel" wrote: > Hi > =DATE(YEAR(A1)+2,MONTH(A1),DAY(A1)) > > -- > Regards > Frank Kabel > Frankfurt, Germany >...

LAST, FIRST to First Last
I have data in LAST, FIRST and used this formula... =TRIM(MID(A2,FIND(",",A2)+1,99))&" "&LEFT(A2,FIND(",",A2)-1) Is there a way to change it from all caps to just capitalized names. Ex. currently - DOE, JOHN change to - John Doe Hi, Like this =PROPER(TRIM(MID(A2,FIND(",",A2)+1,99))&" "&LEFT(A2,FIND(",",A2)-1)) -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "Erinayn...

First column of range in VLOOKUP contains formula
I have two sheets. Sheet 1 has two columns: 1. Code_Descr (example value: "12345_cookies") 2. Attribute_ID (empty) Sheet 2 has 4 columns: 1. Code (example value: 12345) 2. Descr (example value: "Nr-cookies") 3. Code_Descr (formula: =A2&"_"&B2) 4. Attribute_ID (example value: "BHU340098") The idea is to fill the column Attribute_ID in sheet 1 with the values from sheet 2. But there is a problem. As you can see the Descr-values in both sheets are slightly different. That is because they are from different sources. I want to us...

Finding the first DAY of the week of a given week.
Hi All, I’m building a between statement and need to find the first and last day of a given week. The user will select a date from an active X calendar. The day doesn’t mater, since they are picking a week. The week they select I would like to use as the start and end date. I need the start to be Sunday 00:00:01 and the end to be 1159:59 for the week they select. I’m using datepart to get the week vWeek = DatePart("ww", cal1.Value, vbSunday, vbFirstJan1) vYear = DatePart("yyyy", cal1.Value, vbSunday, vbFirstJan1) In this example my values are vWe...

Move an exchange server to a new adminstrative group
I have two Exchange 2k3 BE servers. I would like to move one of them to a new administrative group so that it can be adminstered by the network admin in our remote office. Is it possible to move an exchange server to a new administrative group, after it has already been installed into the first administrative group? Thanks. No. Build a new server into the required admin group and move mailboxes. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP http://www.msexchange.org/Neil_Hobson/ "TJC" <tim@stabilinet.com> wrote in message news:e0piU4CpGHA.2452@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... >I have ...

select first sheet to the right in a macro
Hello, I'm trying to record a macro, in which I need one of the cells to do a vLookup in the sheet to the right of the active sheet, but I don't know how to make it insert the name of the sheet to the right. Here's what I have right now: ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = _ "=IF(RC[-4]="""","""",VLOOKUP(RC[-4],'System 012406'!C[-4]:C,5,FALSE))" Where it says "System 012406", instead I need it to insert the name of the next sheet to the right. Is this possible? Thank you in advance, Dan Dan, Sheets(Active...

first transaction
Hi! Is it normal that the first transaction of the day takes extra long to process in RMS? 1.3R Thx, M It mostly depends on what you have installed and where. The first time you perform certain actions - Like Item or Customer lookup will take longer as both RMS and SQL Server build up caches of data. Also, if you are running add-ins with RMS, they may load and initialize the first time they are called. Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://www.tibercreek.com glenn@tibercreek.com ---------------------------------------------- Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all res...