First Exchnage Assignment

I am beginning a new Assignment as an Exchange 2000 administrator. The
previous Exchange Admin - will be released. What are your suggestions for my
first week on the job.
0
Fan (16)

Yankee Fan wrote:
> I am beginning a new Assignment as an Exchange 2000 administrator. The
> previous Exchange Admin - will be released. What are your suggestions
> for my first week on the job.

Review the servers thoroughly - check for event log errors, etc., make sure
everything is fully patched, AV software is working right (exclusions in
file-level AV for all Exchange db/log/queue folders & M drive, and also
using Exchange-aware AV software, updated as often as possible), make sure
you're doing proper online backups, etc.

0
lanwench (7567)
11/16/2004 3:12:50 PM
Thanks.

What do you mean "exclusions" in file-level AV for all Exchange db/log/queue
folders & M drive?

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> Yankee Fan wrote:
> > I am beginning a new Assignment as an Exchange 2000 administrator. The
> > previous Exchange Admin - will be released. What are your suggestions
> > for my first week on the job.
>
> Review the servers thoroughly - check for event log errors, etc., make sure
> everything is fully patched, AV software is working right (exclusions in
> file-level AV for all Exchange db/log/queue folders & M drive, and also
> using Exchange-aware AV software, updated as often as possible), make sure
> you're doing proper online backups, etc.

0
YankeeFan (2)

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=328841

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>
>> Yankee Fan wrote:
>>> I am beginning a new Assignment as an Exchange 2000 administrator.
>>> The previous Exchange Admin - will be released. What are your
>>> suggestions for my first week on the job.
>>
>> Review the servers thoroughly - check for event log errors, etc.,
>> make sure everything is fully patched, AV software is working right
>> (exclusions in file-level AV for all Exchange db/log/queue folders &
>> M drive, and also using Exchange-aware AV software, updated as often
>> as possible), make sure you're doing proper online backups, etc.

0
lanwench (7567)
11/16/2004 11:06:12 PM
Thanks!

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> Yankee Fan wrote:
> > Thanks.
> >
> > What do you mean "exclusions" in file-level AV for all Exchange
> > db/log/queue folders & M drive?
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=328841

> >> Review the servers thoroughly - check for event log errors, etc.,
> >> make sure everything is fully patched, AV software is working right
> >> (exclusions in file-level AV for all Exchange db/log/queue folders &
> >> M drive, and also using Exchange-aware AV software, updated as often
> >> as possible), make sure you're doing proper online backups, etc.

0
YankeeFan (2)
11/17/2004 12:57:01 AM
Yankee Fan wrote:
> Thanks!

You're welcome - I suggest you pick up some Exchange admin books and start
readin'. :)

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

>> Yankee Fan wrote:
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> What do you mean "exclusions" in file-level AV for all Exchange
>>> db/log/queue folders & M drive?
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=328841

0
lanwench (7567)
11/17/2004 1:03:58 AM
1) Get some books on Exchange.

2) Get Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer from MS
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsahome.mspx). This will
tell you about any exposures and missing security updates that you need to
install.

3) Verify that you have an AV software installed that does a scheduled scan
at least every night. Check the manufacturer's web site for the directories
and files to exclude from the file scans. You don't want AV software finding
a virus in your data stores or log files and quarantining (or worse,
deleting) them.

4) Check whether "Real Time" scanning is being done by the AV software. This
is where every file that is opened is scanned before it is put into memory.
In general, it's not necessary on servers and only slows things down. If
there are directories where users can store files, you can modify the Real
Time scan to can only those directories.

5) Verify that you have an Exchange aware antivirus plug-in installed. This
is absolutely critical. You must have something that will scan incoming
e-mails for viruses *BEFORE* they are delivered to mailboxes.

6) Start reading....

7) If you can get access to a decent computer, try setting up Exchange on it
as a development server/domain. Use it to learn how to install/update/modify
the software. Don't experiment on the production server.

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"Yankee Fan" <Yankee Fan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am beginning a new Assignment as an Exchange 2000 administrator. The
> previous Exchange Admin - will be released. What are your suggestions for
> my
> first week on the job.

0
rasilon1 (689)

First in First out
I need help in figuring out how to implement FIFO. I order a product and it is put in inventory with a PO and price. Then I may order some more in a few months before I use up all the old, it is added in with its own PO and price. Now when I take out of inventory I want to use up all the items from the first order then switch to the next one. Any help would be nic Thank Ji You need a date stamp at the time the product into inventory. Maybe use an "expected arrival" date on the PO. But how does this relate to Excel? Questions like this should be directed to: http://www.allexpert...

items assigned both lot numbers and serial numbers
Hi, Does anyone know of an add-on that would support tracking inventory in house by lot number but then assigning a specific serial number when the item is shipped? Thanks for any info you can provide. -- Thanks very much! Michele Durkin As you know, you can have a serial number mask such that one portion is an incrementing serial number and the other can be a constant. the only problem is that you want to assign that serial number when shipping... You may be able to achieve that using Manufacturng serial/lot number functionality. HS "mdurkin" <mdurkin@discussions.micros...

How do I print just the first page in my received email
To me it looks like I can either print all, even or odd pages only. can I just print first page only, and how do I do that? HTML messages can be printed one page at a time if you use File, Print on the menu. You can also Edit a plain text message to change it to HTML be able to use File, Print. "PeterM" wrote: > To me it looks like I can either print all, even or odd pages only. can I > just print first page only, and how do I do that? > > Many thanks Mary..........When I'm looking at my email (please remember, this is my 3 day with outlook) how do I cha...

the first
-- zdx840626��sina.com ...

Summary Query based on First Occurrence
I've got a list of invoices for businesses, some which have multiple invoices on a given day. I want to be able to return ONLY the First Day a customer was invoiced AND the TOTAL for just that day. Here's what the data looks like: Account InvoiceDate TotBill A B C Corp. 20041231 3500.00 A B C Corp. 20041231 9500.00 A B C Corp. 20050131 1500.00 A B C Corp. 20050131 2000.00 BARBERS INC. 20041431 1500.00 BARBERS INC. 20041431 12000.00 BARBERS INC. 20050131 300.00 BARBERS INC. 20050131 470.00 Ideally, my Qu...

Outlook 2003 slow opening first html msg
Anyone else noticed a slowdown recently when opening the first html formatted message in Outlook 2003? It might have occurred during the recent MS updates, or it might be where I upgraded to IE7. That all happened about the same time. On my Pentium 800 with .5gb of ram, the message frame appears in about 20 seconds and the contents in another 20 seconds. This seems to only happen on the first e-mail to be opened. The next opens instantly. Dave ...

Toolbar doesn't react on first click.
Hello everyone. I create program with one toolbar and few CWnd objects in CFrameWnd. Only one window (CWnd) is shown at time. When I start some action on this window (OnLButtonUp and OnlButtonDown) program makes few expensive calculation, next he hides window (SW_HIDE), and shows another (SW_SHOW). But sometimes when I make double-click on window, everything show OK, but toolbar freeze (doesn't react on first click and I must click him once more). I try to override OnLButtonDblClk but my application never goes in to. I thing the problem are messages that are pushed to queue when pr...

Concatenate first:last! worksheet
I need to concatenate 150 rows in 50 different worksheets for a totals page, and may need to add additional worksheets in later versions. So, I need P7 in all 50 worksheets to be concatenated on P6 in the totals page, P8 in all worksheets to be concatenated on P7 in the totals page, etc. I am wondering if it's possible to use something like first:last! to concatenate the worksheet range, making it possible to include additional sheets added in before the current last worksheet. I am using "&" for the concatenate function now as I have more than 30 sheets ...

Transforming first n nodes
I have a large xml (35MB) and I need to transform its top 200 rows using an xsl (in ASP.Net web app). Is this possible to do it in an efficient manner? Thanks. You can subclass XmlTextReader and make a custom one that only return first N elements. Then you can use it to load data into XPathDocument and do a transfer. Yan "Salman" <salman_z_g@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Oa7kJoiMEHA.1192@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... >I have a large xml (35MB) and I need to transform its top 200 rows using an > xsl (in ASP.Net web app). > Is this possible to do it in an efficient...

assigning & completing tasks
I am using Outlook 2002 that is included in my Small Business Server 2000. I am NOT using MS Exchange (yet). When I create a task and assign it to another person in the company, that seems to work just fine. i.e. they receive the assigned task and upon acceptance, it is on their task list. Problem occurs when they complete the task, the original sender does not get a notification of completion. I have comber the KB and scanned this NG and found nothing. Thank you in advance for your help. Rick Dilley Technology & Infrastructure Tessler & Weiss 2389 Vauxhall Road Union, NJ 07083 (90...

Assign a string to an array
Hi I started with a post of how to find a number in a string and was helped in the most by Rick Rothstein but as his help proceeded it became clear that I had started the split of the string in not the best way. He posted the code below to split the string into an array and not a listbox as I had done in my example. However I am getting an error and need further help Private Sub Command1_Click() Dim X As Long, Position As Long, FileNames() As String, Parts() As String Dim Artist() As String, Title() As String, Extension() As String FileNames = "F:\Stored Data\Library\Bar...

Locating first blank cell
I am looking for a macro that will select the first blank (empty) cell in a given column please. Thanks, Mike Hi Mike Sub test() Dim GivenColumn As Long GivenColumn = 1 Columns(GivenColumn).Find(What:="", _ After:=Cells(1, GivenColumn), _ LookAt:=xlWhole).Select End Sub HTH. Best wishes Harald "Mike W" <mike@ehb-docks.fsbusiness.co.uk> skrev i melding news:dcq6va$97d$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk... > I am looking for a macro that will select the first blank (empty) cell in a > given column please. > > Thanks, > > Mike > > Brilliant...

LAST, FIRST to First Last
I have data in LAST, FIRST and used this formula... =TRIM(MID(A2,FIND(",",A2)+1,99))&" "&LEFT(A2,FIND(",",A2)-1) Is there a way to change it from all caps to just capitalized names. Ex. currently - DOE, JOHN change to - John Doe Hi, Like this =PROPER(TRIM(MID(A2,FIND(",",A2)+1,99))&" "&LEFT(A2,FIND(",",A2)-1)) -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "Erinayn...

Calculate due date 1 or 2 years ahead to the first of the followi.
Issue date is June 12,2004. Certificate is valid ( 24 months ) to July 01, 2006. How do I create this is XL? Hi =DATE(YEAR(A1)+2,MONTH(A1),DAY(A1)) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Wayne wrote: > Issue date is June 12,2004. Certificate is valid ( 24 months ) to > July 01, 2006. How do I create this is XL? I modified your's ... does this make sence..seem's to work =DATE(YEAR(B2)+2,MONTH(B2)+1,DAY(B2)-DAY(B2)+1) "Frank Kabel" wrote: > Hi > =DATE(YEAR(A1)+2,MONTH(A1),DAY(A1)) > > -- > Regards > Frank Kabel > Frankfurt, Germany >...

Owner assignment problem
I have issues with the way CRM cascades entity ownership to child records. Specifically, I want to be able to control what it cascades changes to. We have three sales departments which do not work in teams. An opportunity may be created by a salesperson that is not the owner. But it seems that if any change is made to the account or contact that the opportunity is linked to, then the opportunity and all of its activities get reassigned. Since I cannot turn this "feature" off, I am about to turn on a stored procedure that I have written that processes a log table populated b...

First column of range in VLOOKUP contains formula
I have two sheets. Sheet 1 has two columns: 1. Code_Descr (example value: "12345_cookies") 2. Attribute_ID (empty) Sheet 2 has 4 columns: 1. Code (example value: 12345) 2. Descr (example value: "Nr-cookies") 3. Code_Descr (formula: =A2&"_"&B2) 4. Attribute_ID (example value: "BHU340098") The idea is to fill the column Attribute_ID in sheet 1 with the values from sheet 2. But there is a problem. As you can see the Descr-values in both sheets are slightly different. That is because they are from different sources. I want to us...

Format when "0" is the first letter
I have a Excel document that has many cells with "0" as the first character of a string of numbers. When I change the format to number, the "0" would disappear. If I use Custom and type multiple 0s, the 0 stays but they would not stay when I do mail merge in Word. What can I do to retain the "0" in Excel and be able to mail merge without losing the "0"? Thanks, cpliu Have you looked at WORD's options for formatting the field? On 16 Jul 2004 20:45:02 GMT, cpliu <chanciusliuDeleteThis@yahoo.com> wrote: >I have a Excel document tha...

first transaction
Hi! Is it normal that the first transaction of the day takes extra long to process in RMS? 1.3R Thx, M It mostly depends on what you have installed and where. The first time you perform certain actions - Like Item or Customer lookup will take longer as both RMS and SQL Server build up caches of data. Also, if you are running add-ins with RMS, they may load and initialize the first time they are called. Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://www.tibercreek.com glenn@tibercreek.com ---------------------------------------------- Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all res...

Assigning a macro to a toolbar button...How?
How do I make the macro i just recorded a button on the standard toolbar? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Tools>Customize>Commands. Scroll down to "Macros" and select. You will see two items, "Custom Menu Item" and "Custom Button" smiley face. Drag that button to the Toolbar. Right-click on it and see the options to re-name, edit, change icon and other neat stuff. Note also the "Assign Macro" option. This is where you assign the macro you just recorded. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 19:29:45 -0600, abxy <...

Finding the first DAY of the week of a given week.
Hi All, I’m building a between statement and need to find the first and last day of a given week. The user will select a date from an active X calendar. The day doesn’t mater, since they are picking a week. The week they select I would like to use as the start and end date. I need the start to be Sunday 00:00:01 and the end to be 1159:59 for the week they select. I’m using datepart to get the week vWeek = DatePart("ww", cal1.Value, vbSunday, vbFirstJan1) vYear = DatePart("yyyy", cal1.Value, vbSunday, vbFirstJan1) In this example my values are vWe...

select first sheet to the right in a macro
Hello, I'm trying to record a macro, in which I need one of the cells to do a vLookup in the sheet to the right of the active sheet, but I don't know how to make it insert the name of the sheet to the right. Here's what I have right now: ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = _ "=IF(RC[-4]="""","""",VLOOKUP(RC[-4],'System 012406'!C[-4]:C,5,FALSE))" Where it says "System 012406", instead I need it to insert the name of the next sheet to the right. Is this possible? Thank you in advance, Dan Dan, Sheets(Active...

Excel Gurus!! Need a macro to find and assign
I am looking for a macro that will find a value (6-12 digit number) in column A that will then place the cursor in the adjacent cell in column B. I am planning on adding barcodes to items in our tool crib. I want to be able to scan the crib item and have the macro locate that item number in column A, and place my cursor in column B. I will then scan their badge barcode into column b, thus assigning them the tool. I will repeat the scanning process and reassign the item to the crib (via barcode) once they return. Thanks in advance! Try something like this Sub Find_First() Dim FindStri...

Find the first and last value
Hi, I have a list of periods, with assignments starting and ending at different periods. I need a formula that can search each row, find the first no blank value and get the corresponding period. Is there a formula that can do this as my VB understanding is limited. thx One way .. Assuming the periods are labelled in B2:F2, with data running down in B3:F3, B4:F4, etc Put in say, G3, and array-enter the formula, i.e. press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER: =IF(COUNTBLANK(B3:F3)=5,"", INDEX(B$2:F$2,,MATCH(1,--(B3:F3<>""),0))) Copy G3 down -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Singapore, GMT...

first documents
USE Stubook GO CREATE TABLE ѧ�� (����֤�� char(6) NOT NULL, ���� varchar(8) NULL, �Ա� char (2) NULL, �绰 varchar(15) NULL, �༶ varchar(20) NULL, ������ int NULL, ��֤���� datetime NULL, ѧ�� char NULL ...

print first two rows (heading) and one row per page...
I am a teacher. I have created a spreadsheet. I would like to print a row so student can see just her grade. I would like to be able to print three rows on each "page". I would like student to be able to see the activity (row 1), the points for the activity (row 2) and her grade (row that belongs to that student). How do I do this? g, 1. Go to File | Page Setup | Sheet (tab) | Rows to Repeat at Top (click inside box) and then select rows 1 and 2. 2. Select the data on a row and then print (using File | Print), making sure that "Selection" is check ma...