Filter large incoming emails

We are using exchange server 2003.  Very often we receive large emails
(15mb+) from clients sent to a group of recipients.

What's the best way to have some sort of filter (preferably on the
exchange server) that does following to save some mailbox space:

IF ((ATTACHMENT_SIZE > 10MB)  AND  (NUMBER_OF_RECIPIENTS > 1)) THEN
    SEND EMAIL ONLY TO THE 1ST RECIPIENT
END IF

also

IF ((ATTACHMENT_SIZE > 10MB)  AND  (NUMBER_OF_RECIPIENTS > 1)) THEN
   1.   STRIP THE ATTACHMENT TO C:\ATTACHMENTS
   2.   LET THE EMAIL GO THROUGH
   3.   SEND A NEW EMAIL TO ALL RECIPENTS NOTIFYING OF
         THE ATTACHMENT STRIPPED
END IF

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

0
dejauser (2)

On 29 Jan 2007 22:41:53 -0800, "DejaUser" <dejauser@safe-mail.net>
wrote:

>We are using exchange server 2003.  Very often we receive large emails
>(15mb+) from clients sent to a group of recipients.
>
>What's the best way to have some sort of filter (preferably on the
>exchange server) that does following to save some mailbox space:
>
>IF ((ATTACHMENT_SIZE > 10MB)  AND  (NUMBER_OF_RECIPIENTS > 1)) THEN
>    SEND EMAIL ONLY TO THE 1ST RECIPIENT
>END IF
>
>also
>
>IF ((ATTACHMENT_SIZE > 10MB)  AND  (NUMBER_OF_RECIPIENTS > 1)) THEN
>   1.   STRIP THE ATTACHMENT TO C:\ATTACHMENTS
>   2.   LET THE EMAIL GO THROUGH
>   3.   SEND A NEW EMAIL TO ALL RECIPENTS NOTIFYING OF
>         THE ATTACHMENT STRIPPED
>END IF
>
>Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

Do you understand that if a single message comes in for more than one
recipient and has a large attachment you are not going to get multiple
copies of that attachment, right?

What are you trying to do?
If you want to limit attachment size then set an SMTP limit but make
sure you set the limit to be 30% higher than the number you want to
stop because messages grow whilst in transit.

Not sure why you want to limit the number of people a message comes
into. You can't actually limit a message sent to say 10 people and
only deliver it to 5. Which 5? who loses out? You'll fail anyway
because your internal users will just forward the message anyway.

I think you've missed a little bit about how Exchange works and have
then wrapped that misunderstanding up into a legitimate message size
question.
0
mark7219 (5666)
1/30/2007 8:22:41 AM
On Jan 30, 3:22 am, "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <m...@mvps.org> wrote:
> On 29 Jan 2007 22:41:53 -0800, "DejaUser" <dejau...@safe-mail.net>
> wrote:
>

> >We are using exchange server 2003.  Very often we receive large emails
> >(15mb+) from clients sent to a group of recipients.
>
> >What's the best way to have some sort of filter (preferably on the
> >exchange server) that does following to save some mailbox space:
>
> >IF ((ATTACHMENT_SIZE > 10MB)  AND  (NUMBER_OF_RECIPIENTS > 1)) THEN
> >    SEND EMAIL ONLY TO THE 1ST RECIPIENT
> >END IF
>
> >also
>
> >IF ((ATTACHMENT_SIZE > 10MB)  AND  (NUMBER_OF_RECIPIENTS > 1)) THEN
> >   1.   STRIP THE ATTACHMENT TO C:\ATTACHMENTS
> >   2.   LET THE EMAIL GO THROUGH
> >   3.   SEND A NEW EMAIL TO ALL RECIPENTS NOTIFYING OF
> >         THE ATTACHMENT STRIPPED
> >END IF
>
> >Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.
>
> Do you understand that if a single message comes in for more than one
> recipient and has a large attachment you are not going to get multiple
> copies of that attachment, right?
>
> What are you trying to do?
> If you want to limit attachment size then set an SMTP limit but make
> sure you set the limit to be 30% higher than the number you want to
> stop because messages grow whilst in transit.
>
> Not sure why you want to limit the number of people a message comes
> into. You can't actually limit a message sent to say 10 people and
> only deliver it to 5. Which 5? who loses out? You'll fail anyway
> because your internal users will just forward the message anyway.
>
> I think you've missed a little bit about how Exchange works and have
> then wrapped that misunderstanding up into a legitimate message size
> question.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the reply.  I understand that there is only one incoming
attachment, but if the email is received by 10 recipients, isn't it
true that all user's mailbox on the server have their individual
copy?  If the attachment size is 15MB, 10 x 15 = 150MB.  I am not an
Exchange server admin but I do have limited understanding of Exchange
server...I am a software developer trying to figure out a way to
prevent everyone from receiving the same huge attachment.  Plan is
that there will be designated user who will receive the attachment and
he'll distribute it to others.

I think the 2nd approach I listed is probably better.

0
dejauser (2)

Help: Formula put into entire row creates large file size
Hi, I have a spreadsheet where I would like one column to be the concatenation of two other columns. For example, in column C I would have =A1&B1. This excel file will be given to people and they will fill in values into columns A and B. The trick is, I don't know how many rows there will be, so I don't know how many rows in column C should have this formula. If I paste this formula into the entire column C, the excel file blows up to 3 megabytes. (It's only 15KB without this column). Are there ways for me to accomplish this more efficiently? Thanks for any help Are y...

How to automatically send a CC: email
Hi, Is it possible to configure Exchage server 2003 to automatically send a CC: copy to a mail recipient everytime an email is sent from someones mailbox? In other words, the manager would like to receive a copy of all emails sent by one of his employees. I know this can be done through rules in outlook, but I wish to perform this function from exchage for a group of users. Thanks in Advance ...

Filters not working
I have set up a few filters for nntp groups, they are to highlight certain users in different colours but none of them seem to work. Another little problem is that I have a couple of different sig's set up, while the default is ticked to only show with certain accounts it shows up with all accounts except those with a different sig file associated with them. -- [This comment is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Church of Scientology International] "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ" "Athe...

Will un- & reinstalling Outlook'03 delete email & addresses?
I've been plagued with an Outlook problem for about a month. Settings are right. Test email works fine. All other internet related programs are fine. But Outlook gives me a "send/receive error" message as fast as I can hit "Send/Receive". If I keep it open just to check contacts or calendar it always crashes within 10 to 60 minutes. If I start it in safe mode it seems to work all right. I reinstalled and it worked for 30 minutes and then did the same thing. If I Uninstall first, and then Reinstall, will it help? Will I lose my contacts and emails? Help! Find...

sending email #16
Hi, Since i installed IE7 I have been having trouble with sending emails. I use outlook from office 2003. Receiving is OK and I can create the message OK but it just sits in the outbox and does not respond to the send command. Help please. ErnieH ...

Opening LInks in Email
I am not able to open address links when they are sent as part of an email. Can this feature be activated? TIA Eric Aloha ecm, Probably. We need a lot more information about your setup to tell you how, though. To start with What version of Outlook are you using? -Ben- Ben M. Schorr - MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://www.factplace.com/onenotefaq.htm > I am not able to open address links when they are sent as part of an > email. Can this feature be activated? > > TIA > Eri I'm using ver 6 Outlook Express. ...

cant send emails to gmail accounts
if i send an email to someone with a gmail address they never receive it. it goes to my sent items and it says sent in the properties but they never receive it? any help greatly appreciated "maryandliam" <maryandliam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E11EF0A0-CDE5-46F4-A0FD-979144D1590D@microsoft.com... > if i send an email to someone with a gmail address they never receive it. > it > goes to my sent items and it says sent in the properties but they never > receive it? any help greatly appreciated If Outlook moves the message to S...

Income from Tax deferred Retirement account (Canadian RIFF)
I am using MONEY06. I have set up a Retirment account using IRA (actually for a canadian Retirement income fund-RIFF). And within the account I have purchased a CD with annual interest payment. The IRA Retirement account correctly categorizes the interst income as "TAX-DEFERRED INCOME". Question: When I start to withdraw from the retirement account, any amount withdrawn will be deemed to be taxable pension income. What do I need to do in registering such withdrawals so that I can see them as an income in an income report. I tried redeeming a portion of the CD, and trans...

How do I create an email template?
Running Office 2007 Professional. I think that's what you would call it. I am looking for work and have a Word file that I use as a cover letter. Right now I have to open Word and copy and paste into the email. So what I would like is to open in Outlook an email to send that already has that Word doc in it and then I would just do a little editing and send it off. It would be really cool if I could create an icon for it and put it in the toolbar. I hope I have been clear with my needs and thanks for your time if you have a solution. They tell you how here: http://office.m...

Where are email account settings stored?
I am using MSOutlook 2002 with a local *.pst file for email storage. Does anyone know where are EMAIL ACCOUNT settings are stored? It's in the registry. Windows NT-based operating system: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\profilename\ Windows 9x-based operating system: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\profilename\ -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com? -Please post yo...

Archiving emails #4
When I archive my "sent" emails, I am not able to sort them by who they were sent to. All of them show up as to me. All of my other archived email works well. I am trying to clean up my C drive on my computer. Thanks for the hlep. Double check the view on the folder to make sure that it is set to "Sent To". (e.g. Under Outlook 2007, it is View > Arrange By > Sent To) "pgandeb" <pgandeb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A63EF027-DB32-4D06-B8C7-45FD2399D6E6@microsoft.com... > When I archive my "sent" emails, I am...

Cannot open document in email because it needs excel. How do I d.
I have inbound email that will not open attachment becausse it is on excel. How do I open this document? Fredd Assuming you do not have Excel installed. Download and install the Excel Viewer from.... http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/xlviewer.aspx You will be able to view and print Excel worksheets. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 17:04:04 -0800, "fred" <fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have inbound email that will not open attachment becausse it is on excel. >How do I open this document? fred wrote: > I have inbound email that...

IRA Income
In Money 2007 -- How is one to make an IRA withdrawl appear as income? The monies are done by transfer from IRA cash account to checking. They just appear as a transfer of funds with no impact on income. You can either do it as two separate transaction (withdrawal, with no category?) and deposit (with an income category). Or you can split the transfer transaction, add a second income category to the transaction, and ignore Money's complaint. -- Michael Gordon "Randy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message news:OcQyGeLUHHA.4404@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > In...

Email activation
I have been using outlook express for my email program. i am buying a new compuer and won't, I am told, be able to use it anymore. I have tried shifting to Outlook, but when I try to send an email, I get a message that says something about "No Transport Porvider". I am using Office 2000 and am on cable with comcast. Any help would be much appreciated. gg wrote: > I have been using outlook express for my email program. i am buying a new > compuer and won't, I am told, be able to use it anymore. I have tried > shifting to Outlook, but when I try to send a...

Remove sort and filters programmatically on form
I have a form based on a 2 table query. User will use shortcut menu to filter records down to what they want to work on and sort accordingly. I have a button to remove all filters but I also want to remove any sorts that were applied and I can't seem to get that part to work. I use the following to remove all the filters. I just need help with the code to get the form back to the original underlying query sort. On_Click event of button control Me.Filter = "" FilterOn = False Like I said, this brings back all records but the sort stays. I am using Access 200...

emails won't get delivered outside of network
My emails lock up Outlook 2000 when trying to send out of the network. Intra-network emails still work. I still receive emails from outside. But emails get stuck in my Outbox. I can only delete the emnails by ogging off the network, retarting the computer and deleting the message. Please give me your thoughts, Thanks ...

Filter out records
I have thousands of records in excel where some records are duplicated with one field. How can I retrieve the duplicate field record in another worksheet?? Million thanks. I don't quite understand your question, but Chip Pearson has a bunch of techniques for working with duplicates at: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm Grey wrote: > > I have thousands of records in excel where some records are duplicated with > one field. How can I retrieve the duplicate field record in another > worksheet?? > > Million thanks. -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

Forward all incoming mail to an internet address
Is it possible with outlook 2002 exchange 2000 to forward all incoming mail to an internet address, whilst at the same time modifying the subject and from address. Our network allows mail out to the internet if 2 criteria are met. 1. the from address contains the email address of the internet mailbox, which is different to the regular address. 2. The subject line begins with "Internet-Authorised:" I have tried the basic out of office assistant, which can forward mail, but doesn't seem to be able to modify the subject line, or input a from address. You would have to do th...

Transferring email account from Outlook Express to Outlook
I have transferred by main BT email account from OE to Outlook with no difficulty. However, a subsidiary account that I use will not be accessed. I have added it to the accounts list and checked all settings. I have removed it from Outlook Express. When I run the Test Account option, all seems well, but when I send a message to myself at that account it appears to send successfully, but cannot be received. Any suggestions? What SMTP server are you sending through? Primary or secondary? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ...

Filter drop down box fonts TOO SMALL
Hey there... when I use the filter function, the font in the drop down box is WAY TOO SMALL to read.... any way to increase the font size? Please help! I'm going blind!! I don't think you can change the size, but you could zoom in (make the zoom percentage 200% and see if that's too big!) Toddles wrote: > > Hey there... when I use the filter function, the font in the drop down box is WAY TOO SMALL to read.... any way to increase the font size? Please help! I'm going blind!! -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

Sender Accepted Email going to Spam folder
All of a sudden a daily confirmation email has been sent to the spam folder. I am a new user of Outlook and I'm having trouble finding what I need to do. Right click on it, select Junk and add the sender's address to the safe list. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM ...

Incoming Emails #2
Do I always have to click the "Send/Receive" button in order to get my new emails? No, you can go to TOOLS, then SEND/RECEIVE SETTINGS and then DEFINE SEND/RECEIVE SETTINGS and in the box's shown, you can tell Outlook to automatically send or receive your messages every XX mins. Tedd -- Tedd Riggs PDASquare Content Developer www.pdasquire.com "wj" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:88174331-72B4-4ECF-B688-DF745D9178EF@microsoft.com... > Do I always have to click the "Send/Receive" button in order to get my new emails? T...

CRM1.2/EX2003 email router won't install
When installing the Microsoft CRM-Exchange email router I get an error message as follows: "One or more of the CRM servers you specified is invalid or you do not have administrator priviledges on that server." The servers are valid and I am operating a network administrator with admin rights on each server. Any ideas would be much appreciated. I feel for you on this one. This very same problem held us up for weeks and no one could help. We finally contacted MS CRM support and they had a fix. Apparently there is a little know bug with some installs. Follow the below proced...

Accessing Emails when Windows crashes
Sorry if the answers to the following question is in this group but could not find when searching. Question: Is there a file I can burn to CD/DVD that will contain all my email history that I can then access when I reinstall windows given I cannot run windows due to unfixable errors. 1. My windows has crashed and I am having diffficulty in fixing the boot file using the recovery console. (error: unmountable boot volume and when I use the FIXBOOT MBR and CHKDSK /P or /R commands am told unfixable erros) 2. My harddrive was pretty much full to capacity prior to the crash so have not got room...

My email address no longer populates the From field automatically
My email address used to always automatically populate the From field when I created a new email or sent a reply. For some reason it comes up blank now, but it's populated when the other party gets it. Anyone know how to get the default back to automatically populating my email address? In office 2007 you can't see from field in the mail itself but if you have more than one account setup then you can select the account to use from the drop down box on the right corner of the window. You can display bcc or cc if you want but I don't you are asking about this. How m...