File and Print Sharing on Exchange 2003

Would there be any reason why I would need File and Print Sharing
enabled on my Exchange 2003 cluster? I would like to minimize as much
network services as possible and I can not think of any applicable use
for FPS. I know mail slots use SMB but I do not believe Exchange 2003
uses mail slots??? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
Brian

0
bjorgenson (31)

Message tracking logs use a share so if you do remote admin you would lose
this. There are two other shares in addition. I do not believe any are
critical but be aware of what you will no longer have available.

Nue
"HoosierDaddy" <bjorgenson@charter.net> wrote in message
> Would there be any reason why I would need File and Print Sharing
> enabled on my Exchange 2003 cluster? I would like to minimize as much
> network services as possible and I can not think of any applicable use
> for FPS. I know mail slots use SMB but I do not believe Exchange 2003
> uses mail slots??? Any advice would be helpful.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

0
imaneophyte (3004)

saving publisher file to PDF file format #2
after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and send by email to a publishing house "Eddie" <Eddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:87A433B3-6EA5-439E-806D-74C985EA24DC@microsoft.com... > after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and > send > by email to a publishing house If you don't have Adobe Acrobat (not the Reader), download either of these: http://www.win2pdf.com or http://www.primopdf.com ...

How do I automatically prompt to file a sent message?
As a former NOTES user, I've become accustomed to being able to both send and file an email in "one" step. In Outlook the default is to file the sent item in the "sent" folder, or the folder in which the original message resides. I'd like the option of choosing any folder in which to file the sent message to come up automatically when I send an email. Any ideas? See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/setsavefolder.htm for sample VBA code to do this. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators,...

Migrating Office X files to Windows SBS 2k3
I have a situation with migrating some older Office X files to a new Windows Small-Biz Server 2003 environment. It seems that the person I am working with did not use the "Append file extensions" option when saving his Office X files on his Mac server (10.2.8). So now I have a situation where I need to move these extension-less files over to the Windows server but they will lose thier file associations. Is there anyway to save this extension "metadata" to convert these files on the Windows side? I have about 20GB of data to migrate and manually opening each file wi...

Inserting a file from FTP
Hello i have a FTP server that host's files for my office to share. >From one computer that has publisher 2000 on it has problems inserting a file from the ftp into a publisher document. The error i recive from that computer is that it has a problem linking a file that is not on the computer or on the network. The odd thing is that every other computer in the building can connect to the FTP and insert images from it. Also the computer can connect to the FTP through Internet Exlplorer so connectivity isn't a problem. Any help on this would be great. Also most the other computer'...

Duplicate File Message opening an Excel 97 file from Windows Expl.
When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents menu of the Start button, the document opens, and I get a message that "A document with the name "XXXXX" is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name, evan if the documents are in different folders." If I start Excel, firs, I don't get this message. Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mark B wrote: > When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents > menu of the Start button, the ...

can't receive incoming mail on 2003 exchange server from outside of organization
I have a 2003 Win server running 2003 exchange server. I can send and receive mail for internal users, but can only send mail to external sources. Can't receive mail from outside of organization. Can anyone help? Public DNS MX records set up properly? Check it out at www.dnsreport.com . Recipient policy set up to handle mail for your domain, with all mailboxes getting 'stamped' with the right e-mail addresses on the domain? Firewall have port 25 open, and if you run NAT, have you forwarded port 25 traffic to the internal IP of the Exchange server? eloise wrote: > I have a 2...

My Shared workbook is driving me crazy!!!
Hi everyone, I am experiencing a problem with a shared workbook with a protected sheet that is driving me crazy. I have a document with a protected sheet and a Macro that sorts this protected list >when I protect the sheet I allow SORTING and AUTOFILTER. Once the sheet is protected I go to the VBE and set the protection for userinterface only in the private workbook module linked to the open workbook_event: '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''&#...

Excel File Association not working
Hi, One of our users cannot open an Excel file by just double-clicking on it any longer. If he opens Excel first, he can browse to the file and open it. I looked at the file associations for .xls types of files and it lists Excel as the program to use to open .xls. I tried an Office repair, but that didn't help. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Thanks, Sandy M Sometimes one of these works for similar problems. Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then W...

Shared Bank Account
My mother still uses her checking account- but I have to travel to her home 400 miles away to do periodic reviews. Can we set up her account on Money so that I can access her account from my home computer and she can access from hers?? If her bank provides online banking, you can certainly setup two independant files and both connect and download statements, just like you could both login on the bank's website and view her account information. It would depend, of course, on your bank providing these online services. "Crescent" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

Can't print from server
Hi, I'm managing a network that has several network printers. Everyone can print to these printers with no problem except from the server. There is only one network printer that can't be printed to from the 2k3 sbs server, all others work. I've tried replacing the driver, it is a fairly old Panasonic Multifunction dp2500, and making a new tcp port with no success. There is no firewall activated. I then thought maybe I can just connect to the shared Panasonic printer on another computer and print from the server that way. When I do this the test page leaves the server o...

How to save a PC Excel file into MAC (it says file is read only)?
I am having troubles with an Excel workbook I created on my PC (using Excel 2000). Essentially I can't save it in a Machintosh computer. Thanks for your help ...

IMF w/ SBS 2003
Hi all, I would like to know if IMF works w/ SBS. I saw somebody said it does, but I can't get it to work on my system. Also I found this webcast http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=% 2Fservicedesks%2Fwebcasts%2Fen%2Ftranscripts% 2Fwct051104.asp and it makes me think it won't work. Has anybody gotten it to work? Thanks, Scott I installed it this past week end and haven't notice any problems. Shadow I have installed it last week. I have yet to see a spam filter that works as good. "Scott Kostakos" <vendors@onlysolutions.org> wrote in message ne...

How to convert binary file to ASCII file
How to convert binary file to ASCII file? Thanks in advance! "prinz" <de6666@lycos.com> wrote in message news:40222AF5.B3B6EFFB@lycos.com... > How to convert binary file to ASCII file? > > Thanks in advance! > well, an ascii file is a binary file... just the bits happen to be easily displayable as letters, number, and other symbols. you will have to find out what the meaning of each bit in the binary file is, how the bits are grouped into bytes, and how the bytes are grouped into higher order things. then read the file with the appropriate file access method a...

Trying to Open Excel File, But its says file is locked for editing
I'm trying to open an Excel file on a network drive. However when I try to open it. It has an Error Message: File in use. Drivers return 'Taco far return disk Chart 2005.xls' is locked for editing. Options are 'Read Only', 'Notify' or 'Cancel' I know no one is in the spreadsheet, and does not indicate who would be if there was. Can anyone help? Maybe: http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly or http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen Both from Debra Dalgleish's site. Smeeta Geary wrote: > > I'm trying to open an Exc...

Those damn pst files!!
Hello, I have had MANY problems with outlook, first, I had problems where I had to reinstall every time I closed outlook xp or I couldn't send emails, then I tried the detect and repair--restore defaults, then I reconfigured and it seemed to work fine...EXCEPT I could no longer intellisync or sync anything...I looked into the matter, and found that my default Outlook.pst was now outlook1.pst, so I changed the name to outlook.pst, reconfigured (again lost the address book in the process) and still can't sync...what is up with these damn pst files? WHERE should I put that OUTL...

problems with inserting html to xslt file.
Hi, I have a string/xml value that has to be inserted to a specific <xsl:tempalte> tag, I have a namespace registered so that I can insert new XSL elements. nsmgr = New XmlNamespaceManager(myXslt.NameTable) nsmgr.AddNamespace("xsl", "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform") This is the string that has to be inserted to xsl:template tag : <tr> <td><xsl:apply-templates select="bla" /></td> </tr> If I try the element.insertXml method there is an error saying undeclared namespace and poiting to the <xsl:apply> tag. The...

Printing to different printers
I would like to have the sheets of my workbook print to differen printers, with out having to switch printers under file printer. I there a way for this to be done -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Record a macro when you do it manually one time. then when you need it again, run that macro. "pboost1 <" wrote: > > I would like to have the sheets of my workbook print to different > printers, with out having to switch printers under file printer. IS > there a way for this to be done? > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/...

Storing strings in header file via resource file (.rc file) ?
Hi: My application needs to support multiple languages. I'm now planning to strong strings in multiple string tables in the rc file; where each string table contains one language. My question is: will it be much simpler to store those strings in multiple header files? In this case a string can be used directly without the need to use CString to load each string before using it. Please let me know if I'm missing some advantages using the rc file to store strings. Thanks in Advance. Polaris "Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<e...

Problem converting Quicken backup file to Money 2004
Hi, When I use the Converting Quickent Files feature, after the conversion is done, it shows the correct balance in the Quicken balance, but on the Money balance column, it's all zero. After conversion, I open the converted Money file, all accounts still show zero balance. What's the correct way to import all Quicken accounts and balance to Money? thp ...

Can i import one excel file to another excel file?
I have a new excel file that I want to update with an older excel file, can I import the two? There must be an easy way to merge the two together without having to retype. Depends on what you mean by update. If it's just to add more data to the bottom of an existing list, open both files, then select the data, Edit/Copy it and Edit/Paste to the other workbook. If that's not what you want, can you be more specific? On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:59:09 -0700, "kimbers867" <kimbers867@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a new excel file that I want to update with ...

OL 2002 - Attached MSG file - No body property returned
We have a large number of psts with emails bearing problematic MSG attachments. The PST files appear to be from an Exchange environment (Likely 2000). We are using VB6 to access the data via Outlook 2002 (we've tried 2003, but with the same results). Outlook 2002 (sp-2) is not returning any value for the body property of an attached MSG email items. When opening them in Outlook, you can see that there is in fact body text which seems only to be visible when viewed through the UI in OL. Here is something odd: 1. When viewed in Quick View Plus (ver 6 & 8) it appears with only the heade...

OL 2003 Calendar events missing categories/categorization
I have a user that is using Outlook 2003 with MS Exchange 2003 in a corporate environment on a domain (Active Directory). Prior to last Friday (11/13/2009), the user was able to see all his events on his calendar and how they had been categorized ("color-coded" would be another way to put it). His machine was forced to restart overnight because of Windows updates that were installed. The updates that were installed were as follows: KB973704 KB973443 KB973475 KB975958 KB969947 Pursuant to that, the user can still see all of the events on his calendar, but many...

The right side of my publisher postcard is not printing
The right side of the postcard I've created in MS Publisher is not printing correctly. The borders or frames are being cut off. This happens also when the printer duplexes and prints the back side of the postcard. I then have 2 postcards with a complete front and an incomplete back and 2 postcards with an incomplete front but complete back. I've change the guides to meet the edge of the post card. Are all your postcards the same? Once you find out the print limitations, this will be the measurement you will use on the right side of your card. When you print both sides of a...

opening .wks files
Had created spreadsheets as .wks files on Windows ME. I'm unable to open these now that I've upgraded to XP and Office XP. I've tried to associate them with Excel but they will not open properly. How can I retreive these? Hi a repost from Ken Wright to convert MS Works files: ----- Generally you would normally open the file in WORKS and then save it down as a file that Excel can read. .xlr is a native Excel format, or .txt, ..csv, dbaseIV are all formats it can read. You can also find a converter here if you don't have WORKS. http://www.rl-software.com/indexjs.htm?/con...

Converting a file Money 2001 --> Money 2005 Help!!
Hi, I've downloaded the trial for Money 2005 Deluxe. I was previously using Money 2001 (standard). I get an error --------------------------- Microsoft Money --------------------------- Money cannot open this file because it was created by an incompatible version. --------------------------- OK --------------------------- I've tried renaming the file and opening as someone suggested on the group somewhere which I couldn't get to work. So I downloaded the 2004 trial and converted it to 2004 which worked ok. I then tried to upgrade my new 2004 file to 2005 which failed again....