FE - Low Disk Space - {WP}

Got 2 FE servers with NL.  Windows and Exchange 2003.

One of my FE is reporting low on disk space.

Should I delete some of the old logs from
C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\W3SVC1?

Do I need to back them up - Please advise?

Thank you
0
WILDPACKET (529)

They are just IIS logs (you've got logging enabled in IIS manager).  If you
like to keep IIS logs, why not move them to another machine and zip them
up - they'll probably squish quite nicely.  :)

--
Neil Hobson
Exchange MVP

"WILDPACKET" <WILDPACKET@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Got 2 FE servers with NL.  Windows and Exchange 2003.
>
> One of my FE is reporting low on disk space.
>
> Should I delete some of the old logs from
> C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\W3SVC1?
>
> Do I need to back them up - Please advise?
>
> Thank you

0
neil.hobson (1158)
5/5/2006 12:42:49 PM
Yes, you can delete oldest log files (or compress them with either ZIP
or NTFS compression) - Exchange does not need those files.

--

Text from most Windows dialogs can be copied to clipboard with Ctrl-INS.

Free productivity applications suit - www.openoffice.org
Free Internet calling - www.skype.com
Free SQL database Firebird - full support for transaction control,
triggers, stored procedures, partial SQL-99 compliance
http://www.ibphoenix.com/main.nfs?a=ibphoenix&s=1142758270:704186&page=what_is_interbase
0
kpalagin (1838)
5/5/2006 12:44:34 PM
Thank you gentlemen.

"Kirill Palagin" wrote:

> Yes, you can delete oldest log files (or compress them with either ZIP
> or NTFS compression) - Exchange does not need those files.
>
> WILDPACKET wrote:
> > Got 2 FE servers with NL.  Windows and Exchange 2003.
> >
> > One of my FE is reporting low on disk space.
> >
> > Should I delete some of the old logs from
> > C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\W3SVC1?
> >
> > Do I need to back them up - Please advise?
> >
> > Thank you
>
> --
>
> Text from most Windows dialogs can be copied to clipboard with Ctrl-INS.
>
> Free productivity applications suit - www.openoffice.org
> Free Internet calling - www.skype.com
> Free SQL database Firebird - full support for transaction control,
> triggers, stored procedures, partial SQL-99 compliance
> http://www.ibphoenix.com/main.nfs?a=ibphoenix&s=1142758270:704186&page=what_is_interbase

0
WILDPACKET (529)

Distributing FE after splitting?
I have split my database into FE and BE using Access 2007 (OS=XP). Now I have two questions: 1. How do I distribute FE to users workstations? There seems to be enough information about how to split a data and secure it but not the actual steps of how to get that FE to the user workstation. Am I just copying the FE file and saving it on thier local workstation? Because If I create a shortcut to that FE location on the server, then that deveat the purpose of splitting it in the first place. I am really confused...I would appreciate it if someone shed some lights on that part. ...

IE8 makes my disk light flash
I normally use Firefox but recently I installed IE8. If I launch IE8 then my hard disk starts to do a lot of work all the time while IE8 is launched. Even if I don't browse anything, IE8 makes the disk active. When I close IE8 the disk activity stops. What is happening and how can I stop it? ---- I hope IE8 isn't trying to index its way through my disk data because I have 500 GB! Could IE8 be downloading a lot of data to identify dangerous web sites? I can't see any data being downloaded. (Maybe Windows is doing the same sort of download it uses for hotf...

Disk Bottleneck and Avg. Disk Queue Length on Exchange 2003
I have an Exchange 2003 SP1 server running on Windows 2003 SP1 which seems to be giving high Avg. Disk Queue counts on the Performance Monitor. Users were complaining about RPC Latency issues and slowdowns when using Outlook. When analyzing the Exchange server with perfmon, the avg disk queue basically stayed at the top and never went down. Other values like page and cache faults/sec did spike once in a while but never remained at the top for more than 1-2 secs. I did run the ExBPA and ExPTA and and followed the suggestions of moving the MDBDATA_LOGS to another drive away from where...

disk I/O tool
What is the name of that disk I/O tool? SQLIOsim, which the spell checker wants to change to Solipsism :) "Jay" <spam@nospam.org> wrote in message news:OhTGHEciKHA.1648@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > What is the name of that disk I/O tool? > There is also SQLIO and IOMeter. -- Kevin G. Boles Indicium Resources, Inc. SQL Server MVP kgboles a earthlink dt net "Jay" <spam@nospam.org> wrote in message news:%23HfRsQciKHA.1648@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > SQLIOsim, which the spell checker wants to change to Solipsism :) > >...

space #3
Hi First Name are typed in column A. However, these names are not straight in column. Ex: Huong Phuong Hiep Long Diep Hong. I think there is spaces before them (Phuong, Long, Diep...) Please show me to take a space out. Thank you Loi to remove the space-padding around strings use the trim function. if A1 has a space-padded string, in B1 enter =trim(A1) -- icestationzbr ----------------------------------------------------------------------- icestationzbra's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=458 View this thread: ht...

Extra Spaces When Reply/Forward w/ HTML -- PLEASE RESPOND!
I have searched google for an answer to this, and while finding seven (yes, seven) separate posts about this, none of them were responded to (see below for links). The problem is, why does Outlook insert extra spaces before and after inserted text when editing the text of a reply or forward message using HTML? I'm aware that I would not have this problem if I used plain text, but this is not an option (and shouldn't have to be the only option). This has been a problem in every version of Outlook that I've used (2000, and now 2003). Is there no fix/workaround for this? Thanks i...

OWA FE/FE Authentication problem
Hello, We have a FE/BE setup with Exchange EE 2K3 SP1 on both machines (Opsys is Win2K3 EE). The FE has SP1 for Windows 2003 server, the backend is just Win2K3 server. We have OWA working fairly well using forms authentication, however periodically, about once every 6-10 logins, the login page will just sit after clicking login. It will timeout in about 5 minutes. However, if during that pausing period, the user hits F5 or refreshes the page, they instantly go to their inbox! Put a sniffer on, everything looks like it's communicating normally. The pause happens with the owaauth.d...

Apply KB926666 on FE E2k3 box?
Is there a need to apply KB926666 on FE E2k3 SP2 servers since all they do is handle the HTTP requests and direct as needed. TIA. Though all processing happens on the BE, it is advisable to have FEs on builds that are equal to or higher than the BEs. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "kage13" <kage13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A7C68DD-8047-40F4-B97B-AAEBE32BAA28@microsoft.com... > Is there a need to apply KB926666 on FE E2k3 SP2 servers sinc...

Access 2007 FE/SQL 2005 BE
I have a database with a frontend that was built in Access 2000 and at the time we set it up with a SQL 2005 backend. Recently we upgraded to Access 2007. SQL however was not upgraded. Is there any known issues with the compatibility between these 2? We have been experiencing system shutdowns and fatal errors. The frontend was not converted to 2007. We have also recently increased the amount of users and data sent to the database. Any thoughts? ?More specifics? How many users? How much data? Does each use have his/her own copy of the front-end, or are they &qu...

Disk space on the exchange
I have a 12GB disk space on my data directory on my exchange. My private edb file is now 9.7 GB. I had my all my user to reduce their mailboxes but I still have not seem a decrease in that .edb file. I have ran the edbutil function to compact the database, still nothing. If someone could give me some suggestion to free up some disk space, it would be very helpful. Thanks You need to do an offline defrag. Just go to google and do a search for: Exchange offline defrag Matt "jlassiter" <jlassiter@nngov.com> wrote in message news:1140a01c3f4bb$8ef15c30$a401280a@phx....

Double Space in notes in contacts.
Sometimes when hitting enter in a contact note field, enter double spaces instead of single space. Anyway to get it to get it to single space when hitting enter? -- Thank you, Eric Vogel ...

Spaces and numbers
Hi I have a 2 problems in excel. I have a column with an emplyees NI number but the data entry people put gaps between the numbers NY 78 78 65 D. I need to remove the gaps. However there are 1000s of numbers and I wanted to know if there is a way of doing the lot? Also some people have entered the wrong code (should be 9 digits eg. NY238722D). Is there a facility to hightlight any figures that are not 9 digits. Even better a facility to check the format (eg. LL 00 00 00 L) of letters and numbers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Kind regards Rexmann Hi You could just use Find/R...

Sharepoint log files takes too much disk space
My sharepoint log files increase my disk space .so I 'm affraid to be no more disk space in my hard drive . the hard drive used space increased about 1.5 GB in 2 days !! how can I fix this?? Check if unnecessary logs are written on ULS. 1. open the current ULS log(in case of x86, generally ULS path is c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\web server extensions\12\logs\hostname-yyyymmdd-hhmm.log) 2. is most logs verbose or information? - If so, set the log level default or lower. - If not, please let me know most of logs. are they any error logs? You have to fix...

Queues on Exch2003 FE server
Hi there, Exch2003sp1 running on w2k3 (no sp1) with fe & be config, via esm lookin at fe's queues, there is entry of name / protocol / source / state / no. of msg / total msg size / time oldest msg submit / time next connection retry / system be.mydomain.com / smtp / default smtp virtual server / active / 18 / 1848 / 25-1-06 4:58pm / / no I check it again after some 30mins still said active with 18 pending emails.... is there anything wrong with my be server or fe server? Where should i further checkup? Many thanks! No those are probably just reattempts and will likely s...

Windows 7 disk drive problem.
January 23, 2010 Subject: Windows 7 disk drive problem. I can't copy files from my HP Windows 7 disk drive to my hard drive and visa versa. When I got HP support to try to solve the problem my computer crashed. It took them an hour of remote control to get it back running without the original problem of the disk drive resolved. Does anyone know how to do it. Thank you. Gerald On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:21:00 GMT, Gerald Hansen <ghansen@tds.net> wrote: >January 23, 2010 > >Subject: Windows 7 disk drive problem. I can't copy files from my HP >Win...

Remove Spaces beginning Time entry
I am using "=TIME(HOUR(B11),MROUND(MINUTE(B11),I11),0)" for a time card, but if a space is entered we get #VALUE error. How can these spaces be filtered out. Input "06:00" or "06:00 am" works, but " 06:00" gives #VALUE error. Thanks Jack Have a look at TimeValue in help. "Jack Bible" <jbible@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:42B44038.3DE13425@bellsouth.net... > I am using "=TIME(HOUR(B11),MROUND(MINUTE(B11),I11),0)" for > a time card, but if a space is entered we get #VALUE error. How can > these spaces be filt...

Delete Spaces
I've got spaces after data that's not supposed to be there, so VLOOKU isn't working because it doesn't see the data as being the same. Ho do I delete these spaces in one mass change? I've got 20,000 rows o data, I can't do it one by one -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Change the VLOOKUP from =VLOOKUP(cellref,...) to =VLOOKUP(TRIM(cellref),...) >-----Original Message----- >I've got spaces after data that's not supposed to be there, so VLOOKUP >isn't working because it doesn't see the data as being the same. How >do ...

Disk Manager API?
HELP! A few days ago, I got a help on APIs to do the Device Manager job. Now I am a bit in trouble. Without using a Windows GUI, I need to do the followings. Can SetupDiXXXX allows me to do it? # Reactivate "Disk 1" shown in the Disk Management after enabling Disk 1 using SetupDiXXXX. Just as a note, my application is a kind of an "embedded system" and there is not GUI to the user. Thus I have to manipulate the contents of the Disk Manager just with Windows APIs, meaning that without opening those control windows. I will be looking forward to hearing from anyone for...

FE/BE Request
Hi, I use an FE/BE configuratio. ( All in EXch 2K3) Now when one user open Outlook 2000 or 2003, he receveid an Request for found my FE, not my BE. After 10 20 secondes ,user acces at this mail, an PF , I verifie, my FE is in DMZ, the port was open, i don't found any erro, or warning in event viewer.This popup was open when i use PF , when the first open is ok , i don't have any delay , i use normaly my PF. Have you an idea ? Thks for your Help ...

replacement disk #2
I have office 2000 and 18 site lisences the disk 1 is cracked and I need a copy or a replacement disk - I cannot run outlook because it wants the disk - I upgraded to windows xp. we cannot use the disk like we need to at here at school. Any ideas on where or who to contact? You may find the following Microsoft Knowledge Base Article applies: How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246 --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN ...

Out of hard disk space on the partition where the mailbox is store
It appears that we have run out of hard disk space on the partition that the mailbox database resides on. The O/S is Windows 2003 Enterprise Server with Exchange 2003 installed on it. A few days ago Exchange SP2 was installed so we could implement IMF V2 but before we've had a chance to look at it the hard disk has filled up! In the MDBDATA folder there are the two following files: priv1.edb - 47GB priv1.stm - 19GB pub1.stm - 441MB pub1.stm - 65MB There are then loads of .log files i.e. E0019999.log. In total all these files come to 135GB! I wanted to perform an off-line ...

Outlook Font and Spacing
When I open a new message in Outlook 2003, my signature is double spaced. When I try to change it to single space, it changes the font and color of the signature. After I try to type a message and then change from double to single space, it changes the font automatically. How do I get new messages to automatically open with single spacing? This just started doing this today....has worked fine until now. Thanks! Try the steps listed here: http://www.howto-outlook.com/Faq/signaturelines.htm -- K. Orland Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form habits; h...

FE
I have configured the Windows NLB for 2 FE OWA Servers. Followed this article and some others too .. http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Implementing-High-Availability-OWA-Network-Load-Balancing.html Cannot open the site http://VIRTUALIPADDRESS/EXCHANGE and does not load. This is a test envoirenement on a LAN. Any ideas where should I be looking for? Thank you Please provide more specifics on what you mean that you cannot open the site. Does this mean IIS responds but no page is displayed or IIS is not even responding. Have you checked to make sure that IIS is using the correct IP...

Removing Spaces from Text
Hello Everybody, I have a table of numbers where each number is preceded by a space. This makes the content seem as "Text" to Excel. However, I want to convert this text in to proper "Numbers" so that I can perform some operations on them. I tried using a macro to do the job. However, on running the macro, the values of the cells are also modified. This is not the desired result. Anybody who knows of a solution, please help me. Hopefully, Satyajit Bhagwat Hi A couple of things to try - using a helper column alongside your existing data. =VALUE(A2) might do the tri...

One FE multiple BE
Is it possible to have one FE (front end) and have it update linked tables to load different back ends ? What I want to do is to use the same FE and have one unique BE for each Company in our accounting firm. How can I do this ? You would probably be better off having a TblCompany and linking to all appropriate tables with CompanyID. Otherwise, you would need to display the company you are currently working with on the screen at all times to assure you are not retrieving, inputting or deleting data from the wrong company BE. Steve santus@penn.com "exebat" &...