Extracting part of a ldap attribute with an ldap query

Hi,

I have a need to be able to extract only part of an attribute field
using a single ldap query.

For example, I need to return just the OPMAIL01 part from this string:
/o=Options/ou=First Administrative
Group/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=OPMAIL01

Is is even possible to do this with an ldap query?

Thanks.
0
ftoomch (3)

I would suggest looking into the topic of quering with WMI.

"Bob" <ftoomch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a need to be able to extract only part of an attribute field
> using a single ldap query.
>
> For example, I need to return just the OPMAIL01 part from this string:
> /o=Options/ou=First Administrative
> Group/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=OPMAIL01
>
> Is is even possible to do this with an ldap query?
>
> Thanks.

0
exchange.mvp (559)
4/6/2006 10:17:15 AM
Andrew Sword [MVP] wrote:
> I would suggest looking into the topic of quering with WMI.
>

> "Bob" <ftoomch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a need to be able to extract only part of an attribute field
>> using a single ldap query.
>>
>> For example, I need to return just the OPMAIL01 part from this string:
>> /o=Options/ou=First Administrative
>> Group/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=OPMAIL01
>>
>> Is is even possible to do this with an ldap query?
>>
>> Thanks.

Unfortunately, what I'm trying to do is configure an email appliance,
and its dumb web interface has a box for a single LDAP query, and
there's no configuration file to manually play with. So unless I can do
a string manipulation in this query somehow, I'm boned and will have to
hardcode a mail server for it to deliver to.
0
ftoomch (3)
4/8/2006 5:01:49 PM
Bob <ftoomch@hotmail.com> wrote:

					[ snip ]

>Unfortunately, what I'm trying to do is configure an email appliance,
>and its dumb web interface has a box for a single LDAP query, and
>there's no configuration file to manually play with. So unless I can do
>a string manipulation in this query somehow, I'm boned and will have to
>hardcode a mail server for it to deliver to.

The LDAP query is just going to identify the objects, not what
attribute to return from the object(s) that satisfy the queries
criteria.

It sounds like what you're looking to do is set up message routing. If
you're sending all the mail from the appliance to just one of your
Exchange servers (which will handle the routing correctly) then your
query is either superflouous or it can be very specific. But what
attribute is the appliantce looking form once the query's been
completed? If you need the "cn" attribute then that should be a
parameter in the web interface. If it's not changable, then what
attribute of the object is the appliance looking for?

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
Rich Matheisen [MVP] wrote:
> Bob <ftoomch@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> 					[ snip ]
>
>> Unfortunately, what I'm trying to do is configure an email appliance,
>> and its dumb web interface has a box for a single LDAP query, and
>> there's no configuration file to manually play with. So unless I can do
>> a string manipulation in this query somehow, I'm boned and will have to
>> hardcode a mail server for it to deliver to.
>
> The LDAP query is just going to identify the objects, not what
> attribute to return from the object(s) that satisfy the queries
> criteria.
>
> It sounds like what you're looking to do is set up message routing. If
> you're sending all the mail from the appliance to just one of your
> Exchange servers (which will handle the routing correctly) then your
> query is either superflouous or it can be very specific. But what
> attribute is the appliantce looking form once the query's been
> completed? If you need the "cn" attribute then that should be a
> parameter in the web interface. If it's not changable, then what
> attribute of the object is the appliance looking for?

Yeah, it seems the better way to do this is just to hard code it to
deliver all messages from each of these appliances to the nearest
Exchange server and let Exchange do the routing.

Thanks for your help.
0
ftoomch (3)
4/10/2006 7:09:04 PM
Sounds like the email device is doing LDAP lookups to determine valid
users, similar to Exchange's "Filter recipients who are not in the
directory" Try looking at your appliances documention, they should give
you an example of what attribute to put in. Some devices only require
base bn, others I know have used, the Exchange nickname attribute also
known as the Exchange alias name.

James Chong

Bob wrote:
> Rich Matheisen [MVP] wrote:
> > Bob <ftoomch@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > 					[ snip ]
> >
> >> Unfortunately, what I'm trying to do is configure an email appliance,
> >> and its dumb web interface has a box for a single LDAP query, and
> >> there's no configuration file to manually play with. So unless I can do
> >> a string manipulation in this query somehow, I'm boned and will have to
> >> hardcode a mail server for it to deliver to.
> >
> > The LDAP query is just going to identify the objects, not what
> > attribute to return from the object(s) that satisfy the queries
> > criteria.
> >
> > It sounds like what you're looking to do is set up message routing. If
> > you're sending all the mail from the appliance to just one of your
> > Exchange servers (which will handle the routing correctly) then your
> > query is either superflouous or it can be very specific. But what
> > attribute is the appliantce looking form once the query's been
> > completed? If you need the "cn" attribute then that should be a
> > parameter in the web interface. If it's not changable, then what
> > attribute of the object is the appliance looking for?
> >
> Yeah, it seems the better way to do this is just to hard code it to
> deliver all messages from each of these appliances to the nearest
> Exchange server and let Exchange do the routing.
>
> Thanks for your help.

0
jamestechman (1266)

extracting icons
Is there any way to extract an icon from an application? Take a look at the ExtractIcon[Ex]() API Cheers Check Abdoul --------------------- <davegreb@gpxinc.com> wrote in message news:c6c54da6-574c-4c8e-8ec9-3b77b99a5523@d70g2000hsb.googlegroups.com... > Is there any way to extract an icon from an application? ...

Querying Messages Addressed to a Domain
Dumb Question: We have a single Exchange 2003 server receiving e-mail messages addressed to domain1.com, domain2.com, and domain3.com. We'd like to turn off domain1.com, but want to make sure messages aren't being addressed to that domain even though it's not the primary in the recipient policy. How do I search the information store for any inbound messages addressed to this domain? Can I do it on the fly over the past say 6 months or does some type of logging need to have been enabled? Thanks, Message Tracking would need to be enabled, or SMTP Protocol logging (the la...

Userform
[Excel 2003] I use userforms in my spreadsheets. I have a main "Dashboard" userform from which I call up other userforms. What I would like is to be able to remove the title bar from the main userform. Is there a way to do this? Ideally, I would still like to retain the close button in the corner (and even change its format (to look like Windows 95 close button icon) I would be interested to learn of any links to tutorials or examples on how to format userform attributes of these kind. can anyone help? Thanks, Roger The best you can do is to simply r...

extracting totals from within a spreadsheet
I need to know how to take different information from within a spreadsheet --where two conditions/catogories must apply so that a third column where i have inputed hours, will total for those conditions only... can anyone help? Please spell out what you want we are not mind readers -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Jovetta" <Jovetta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:91442C6D-03DF-4FC1-A069-AAB43FA57485@microsoft.com... >I need to know how to take different information from within a spreadsheet > --where two condi...

Part of the Procedure not to execute in eddit mode
Some one please look at the code below and tell me how I can modify it so that the portion of the code containing: Me![txtItemNumber] = Format(DMax("[ItemNumber]", "[Tracking]") + 1, "000000") [TimeReceived] = Date [Time] = Now() NOT execute if the form is opened in edit mode. Because if I have to modify the content of the txtFedExTest field I don't want the initial time and date change and also the txtItemNumber field which is the record ID should also stay the same. Private Sub txtFedExTest_AfterUpdate() If IsNull(Me.txtFedExTest) Or Me.txtFedExTest ...

Attribute Display list to show which attribute is used on the form
Hi, Is it possible to get a list of the attribute display names for an entity and also the status on whether that attribute is used on the form or not? Thanks a lot, Crsb Yes attribute details you can get from metadataservice webservice using CRM SDK. here is some more details and advance topic on this http://blogs.msdn.com/crm/archive/2007/07/13/advanced-metadata-service-scenarios.aspx -- Regards, Imran MS CRM Certified Professional http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com Chat with me on MSN / Gmail / Skype : ID Is :.. mscrmexpert@gmail.com "crsb" wrote: > Hi, > &g...

change report/query into a table
Is there a way i can change a report/ query into a saved table format .so i can use it for email replies?? No, but you can print it as a Snapshot file or a PDF. You can save the report's recordsource as a temporary table, as well, or just copy and past that query into an email. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.accessmvp.com http://www.mvps.org/access "Alan" <Alan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:13E09077-9090-4495-8ABC-9D437F1B5597@microsoft.com... > Is there a way i can change a report/ query into a saved...

Open form certain size and certain part
I have a command button that opens a given form Employees Schedule- I only want to see the lower bottom part of this form and show it at the bottom of the present form(Look ahead list) I am on. The Employee Schedule has a list of employees and list of jobs that have all kinds of code in queries that make them specifice to the form they are on but I want to SEE them - have them showup at bottom of (Lookahead List form) can't copy and past lists because of query code refrerencing controls on Employee Schedule(works great for it) Thinking I should OPEN form with command butto...

Extract emails from cells with text
I have a row in column A which includes an email address in the text that I'd like to extract to column B. Is there a formula I can use to accomplish extracting the email address only to column B? Here's an example of different cells in column A: Please email example@law.ufl.edu to contact us...... OR Schedule an appointment for assistance, or email example@uga.edu with your questions... Thank you Try this... All on one line: =TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(A1,FIND (" ",A1&" ",FIND("@",A1))-1)," ", REPT(" ",...

Select, update query--same query, different result
Hi I have an existing Update query that I just copied and converted to a Select query. When I run it as an Update query, I get 4 records. However, when I run it as a Select query, I get 411 records. It is the same query with the exception of Select vs. Update. Anyone know why this is? Paul Why did you not post the SQL so it could be looked at? -- Build a little, test a little. "Paul" wrote: > Hi > I have an existing Update query that I just copied and converted to a Select > query. When I run it as an Update query, I get 4 records. However, whe...

Running Query from form with wildcards
Based on a previous post, I used [Forms]![Search Form]![MLO #] in my query to refer to my form and put a command button to run the query. The MLO # is a catalog number in the form of ####-####. I am able to run the query for exact matches to the entire field but it doesn't work for ranges or matches to part of the field. Is there a way to use wild cards on the form? I've tried typing an expression on the form as I would on the query, such as >####-####. I also have a column for desciption refered to as [Forms]![Search Form]![Description] in my search. For this column we...

LDAP Filter Syntax Question
I am creating a Query based distribution group. This group will contain all groups and users whos name starts with RX. I believe by default it creates and AND search. I want it to find one OR the other. Here is the filter that was created. What do I need to change to make it search for either a group OR a user name that starts with RX? (&(!cn=SystemMailbox{*})(&(&(&(& (mailnickname=*) (| (&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(|(homeMDB=*)(msExchHomeServerName=*)))(objectCategory=group) )))(objectCategory=user)(objectCategory=group)(displayName=rx*)(cn=rx*)))) C...

extracting individual numbers from "ranges"
I'm trying to get EXCEL to extract stock prices quoted in individual cells as 52-week ranges --e.g. 11.76-19.90-- and do the following calculation: (higher price - lower price)/lower price Obviously, this a problem because each cell appears to handle the range as text or something. Is there are way to get EXCEL to handle the "text" (or however else it is interpreting what's in the cell) as individual numbers? Great thanks for any help. Hi do your entries always look like lower_number-higher_number if yes you may try the following formula in the adjacent row (lets assum...

Query and Extract
Hello all, This seems basic, but I just cannot get it. While using SQL Server 2005 and the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, I created a database called AssetQuote. Inside I have on table called assetquotes. From there, I have three columns, (date, quote, author) The column type for date is datetime and the other two are just text. My Query is something this: INSERT INTO AssetQuote (date, quote, author) VALUES('052010','No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.', 'Aesop'); When I run the query I get this result: Msg 208, ...

IN query not working
Hi When I run an IN query as below I don't get eh desired results? SELECT * FROM Table1 WHERE Table1.ID In (SELECT [ID] from Table2) What is the problem and how to fix it? Am I better of using and equivalent EXISTS query? Thanks Regards ...

extracting hours from a sum of time
I have a cell which sum a bunch of cells containing an elapsed time. The sum totals to more than 24 hours. I have to a cell with a cost per hour and I need to caclculate the total cost. The problem is that the hour function returns values in the range of 0-24. My current sum is 25:30 and the hour function return 1 and not 25. Any ideas how to bypass it? It "returns" the correct number, but doesn't show. Format Custom as [h]:mm and it will. To convert to a number that you can multiply with an hourly rate, first multiply by 24; times in Excel are fractions of a day and a day is s...

How to calculate my mortgage payments interest part?
Hi there, I'd like to know how much of my mortgage payment is interest and how much is principle. I know my interest rate and how much I borrowed (ofcourse!) and how much I pay each month but am wondering how to figure out what part goes on the interest. Is this possible to do in Excel.? Tx Suzannne For the interest in a specific payment: Use the IPMT function For the interest paid during a specific range of payments: Use the CUMIPMT function Both are fairly well documented in Excel Help. Does that help? -------------------------- Regards, Ron Microsoft MVP (Excel) (XL2003, Wi...

Part and Product Database Help
I need help designing a database for parts and products. I'll give you a brief description of the scenario: There are thousands of parts, and hundreds of products. I want a database that has the following: -a list of the parts - with description, product number, color, length, etc. -a list of the products with the associated parts included in the product -If I change a description of a part, I want it to change in the products and all related aspects I know I need a part table, but I don't know how to incorporate the products - because the parts can ...

Extract Text
Dear all I have this text in a field: 200701-I 200701-II 200701-III 200701-IV and I need to separate only the data after the six first data: -I -II -III -IV How can I do it? Thanks a lot!!! Andr=E9. Take a look at Access HELP for the Mid() function. Open a query in design view and add a new field something like: NewField: Mid([YourField],7) -- Regards Jeff Boyce www.InformationFutures.net Microsoft Office/Access MVP http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/ Microsoft IT Academy Program Mentor http://microsoftitacademy.com/ <gatarossi@ig.com.br> wrote in message news:11893397...

Combo Box executing query, issues
I am trying to set up a combo box that will execute a query. I've searched the site and haven't found anything that seems to help. Here is my situation. I have a combo box, cboZoneSelect, that has a source from a table, tblZone. The combo box populates fine with no problems. I have a query that pulls Table: tblZone tblDetail Fields: tblZone.Zone tblDetail.ZoneId(fk) tblDetail.Country tblDetail.Product tblDetail.StandardLevel tblDetail.PackageType. Under tblZone.Zone I have the criteria set to [Forms]![Switchboard]![cboZoneSelect].[AfterUpdate] When I run the query it requ...

Can I extract unique cell values from every nth column?
I have a range that covers B5:XA160. For each row, data is entered in 11-cell groups: date, some numbers, description (a text value), more numbers, and more numbers. At first it was enough to merely count how many times certain descriptions appeared, because those were the only ones we would see - or so the story went. Now, I need to extract the unique descriptions AND provide a count! Actually, I'm cheating a bit. I'm using SUMPRODUCT to return the number of times the expected descriptions appear, and by subtracting these from the total number of text values I get a count of &quo...

Formatting part of text in a Cell & shortcut copying Row hieghts
1.Is there a macro or otherwise to format i.e Bold,underline etc a part of text in a cell? 2. Is there a shortcut way of applying hieght of a specific row to other selected rows. -- Many Thanks Gunjani After a hard fought 1-1 draw, "The best side drew." - Bill Shankly (Legendary Liverpool Manager) Hi one way for your first question: simly select the specific text part in the formula bar and apply your format -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Gunjani wrote: > 1.Is there a macro or otherwise to format i.e Bold,underline etc a > part of t...

Extraction Tool
Do anyone know of a tool or script which I can use to extract users email address from a windows 2000 domain we are using exchange 2000 w Here's a script to extract ALL email addresses form a domain: http://www.suneja.com/blog/2005/09/how-to-export-all-email-addresses-from.html Do you need something for a single user? -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "wmb" <wmb2003@uk2.net> wrote in message news:efxeuymMGHA.2276@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Do anyone know of a tool or script which I ca...

Date Part or Date Value
I have a form such that there are labels for each of the month and the control being a checkbox such that if a task is done in a particular month, then the checkbox for this month is ticked. I would like to add a textbox on this form and link it to a table such that if the checkbox for ie. Jan is checked then the textbox should show Jan-2008 if the year entered was 2008. This would then be stored in a table to use for calculations later on. Please help. On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 20:29:27 -0800 (PST), c8tz <ccholai@gmail.com> wrote: >I have a form such that there are labels for each of t...