Expanding Organisation and Exchange Questions

Hi there

Current environment is a Single Windows 2003 Functional Level Forest with 2
Domains; a Forest Root (Schema Admin) and a Child Production Domain (Used for
user accounts, resources etc.).

Exchange 2003 is used for a number of mail domains and the server resides
within the production domain.

Due to potential expanision of the company there is a requirement for a
separate company that although allowed to share IT resources must appear
independant e.g. for e-mail purposes they will be another e-mail domain and
their e-mail global address list must not include the users from the sister
company.

Unless there is a requirement for different Domain policies, yet to be
finalised, a single production domain was going to remain my plan with the
organisation reflected by an OU structure.

I am aware of Exchange being able host the multiple mail domains but can it
appear to host multiple independant companies meeting such criteria as
separate GALs?  Guess this would be achieved by the Security applied to the
individual GALs?

One flaw in this is the fact of AD lookups/searches will reveal all in AD
and from there it is possible to address and e-mail where as a separate
forest would resolve this?

Generic names have been used for the Forest/Domains and Servers so as far as
internet headers are concerned the information seen discloses no company name
type information.

Thanks in advance for any advice, tips, thoughts.

Yes, this is entirely possible with the limitation you mention on what is
visible to users who have access to AD searches.

There is an Exchange Hosting whitepaper that describes how to set up the
recipient policies, address books, OWA, etc.

"Dirty Harrhy" <DirtyHarrhy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there
>
> Current environment is a Single Windows 2003 Functional Level Forest with
> 2
> Domains; a Forest Root (Schema Admin) and a Child Production Domain (Used
> for
> user accounts, resources etc.).
>
> Exchange 2003 is used for a number of mail domains and the server resides
> within the production domain.
>
> Due to potential expanision of the company there is a requirement for a
> separate company that although allowed to share IT resources must appear
> independant e.g. for e-mail purposes they will be another e-mail domain
> and
> their e-mail global address list must not include the users from the
> sister
> company.
>
> Unless there is a requirement for different Domain policies, yet to be
> finalised, a single production domain was going to remain my plan with the
> organisation reflected by an OU structure.
>
> I am aware of Exchange being able host the multiple mail domains but can
> it
> appear to host multiple independant companies meeting such criteria as
> separate GALs?  Guess this would be achieved by the Security applied to
> the
> individual GALs?
>
> One flaw in this is the fact of AD lookups/searches will reveal all in AD
> and from there it is possible to address and e-mail where as a separate
> forest would resolve this?
>
> Generic names have been used for the Forest/Domains and Servers so as far
> as
> internet headers are concerned the information seen discloses no company
> name
> type information.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice, tips, thoughts.

0
awebb7472 (650)
7/7/2006 2:07:55 PM
Appreciate the feedback many thanks

"andy webb" wrote:

> Yes, this is entirely possible with the limitation you mention on what is
> visible to users who have access to AD searches.
>
> There is an Exchange Hosting whitepaper that describes how to set up the
> recipient policies, address books, OWA, etc.
>

> "Dirty Harrhy" <DirtyHarrhy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi there
> >
> > Current environment is a Single Windows 2003 Functional Level Forest with
> > 2
> > Domains; a Forest Root (Schema Admin) and a Child Production Domain (Used
> > for
> > user accounts, resources etc.).
> >
> > Exchange 2003 is used for a number of mail domains and the server resides
> > within the production domain.
> >
> > Due to potential expanision of the company there is a requirement for a
> > separate company that although allowed to share IT resources must appear
> > independant e.g. for e-mail purposes they will be another e-mail domain
> > and
> > their e-mail global address list must not include the users from the
> > sister
> > company.
> >
> > Unless there is a requirement for different Domain policies, yet to be
> > finalised, a single production domain was going to remain my plan with the
> > organisation reflected by an OU structure.
> >
> > I am aware of Exchange being able host the multiple mail domains but can
> > it
> > appear to host multiple independant companies meeting such criteria as
> > separate GALs?  Guess this would be achieved by the Security applied to
> > the
> > individual GALs?
> >
> > One flaw in this is the fact of AD lookups/searches will reveal all in AD
> > and from there it is possible to address and e-mail where as a separate
> > forest would resolve this?
> >
> > Generic names have been used for the Forest/Domains and Servers so as far
> > as
> > internet headers are concerned the information seen discloses no company
> > name
> > type information.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any advice, tips, thoughts.

Exchange and MDaemon
Dear All, One of my client implement MSCRM in one machine (Exchange, SQL and MSCRM). They already have one domain server. Everything runs well, Users already can connect with single sign on. But the problem is Emailing. They already use MDaemon for all users. They only want to use exchange only for MSCRM users. Email from MDaemon can be forwarded to exchange, but email from exchange cannot be forwarded to MDaemon to external email. FYI, they still want to use MDaemon for their main email. Anybody have this experiance? I am waiting for the answer from you all. Rgds, Frans ...

Additional Conditional Formatting Question
I have a budget with a master worksheet and each month as a separat worksheet all within one workbook. As I posted before: I am trying to get a buget with carryover overages or underages i.e. B2= budgeted amount C2= actual spent D2= overage or underage The Formula Posted by Max worked wonderfully D2: =IF(OR(ISBLANK(C2),C2<=0),"",B2-C2) I copied this into each month's D2 cell and dragged it down to all th cells in that column so the formula would be copied to all of the item in the budget Now what I am trying to do is to keep a running total on the maste sheet in F2 where...

Exchange Server
How do I remove unwanted connectors (CCMAIL and MS) from an exchange server so that the email addresses are not created when I add new users? what version of Exchange? "Scott" <spaul@sayrevillek12.net> wrote in message news:1103223087.251877.214130@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > How do I remove unwanted connectors (CCMAIL and MS) from an exchange > server so that the email addresses are not created when I add new > users? > ...

organising data from lines in word to excel columns
I have a word doc which contains lines of text that are formatted into sections like this: Page: Page Name Title: Page Title URL: www.page.com/page-name/ MetaKeywords: keyword 1, keyword 2, keyword 3 Metadescription: Page desc.. There are many of these in the doc that I have which I can copy and paste as plain text into excel but I then need to format them into columns likes so: Page Title URL MetaKeywords Metadescription Page Name Page Title www.page.com/page-name/ keyword 1, keyword 2, keyword 3 Page descr... Does anyo...

Is it normal for a pst file to expand when imported into an ost fi
I had a 2+GB pst file that when imported into my exchange cached environment grew to approximately 20GB. Of course this wreaked havoc on the user's mailbox, and I am now having synchronization and all kind of wierd problems. I guess my first question is, is it normal for a pst file to grow on import? Also, on that import, is it possible for the original pst file to become corrupt, or smaller after the import. I fear that I may have lost some messages in the import In news:88546C4E-0213-4C63-A237-DBF5280576B3@microsoft.com, BookerW <BookerW@discussions.microsoft.com> typ...

Exchange Developer Edition
I have a copy of Exchange 2000 Sever Developer Edition that was part of Office XP Developer. Is this a full blown version ? We have tried to Install it. Actually the installation is not the problem, can not keep it running. MTA Stacks fail to run. Other services also fail to run. Clogging up the Application Log of the Event Viewer with all kinds of errors, etc... TIA, SD ...

Expanding Folders #2
I have a Hotmail account that I read with Outlook 2003, but I can't figure out how to keep the "Hotmail" folder expanded so I can see the "inbox", "Deleted items," "junk email" and "sent items" sub-folders. Thanks in advance for your assistance tubbfan <tubbfan@excite.com> wrote: > I have a Hotmail account that I read with Outlook 2003, but I can't > figure out how to keep the "Hotmail" folder expanded so I can see the > "inbox", "Deleted items," "junk email" and "sent items...

2 Storage limit questions
I have a few situations where people can't send and get the over the limit message even thought the haven't hit their mailbox limit yet, so I have bee trying to figure it out, and it has brought up 2 questions to me. 1st question is, when I go into System Manager and look at people's mailboxes in a storage group, and I select the view menu and choose add columns, and add the deleted items column - Is that deleted items that are still sitting in their outlook deleted items, or is that column for deleted item retention after they have emptied it in outlook. The next question i...

Missing DIFF file from Exchange 2003 Offline Address Book
Exchange 2000 SP1 Offline Address Book issues 1. It was discovered during client OAB download "...0b (11) At least one ..diff file was missing from the server..." Will OAB Rebuild fix this problem? 2. Are there actual (NTFS) files that contain OAB differential files? Where are they stored? I notice an OU in Active Directory for OAB 3. Is it possible to view the OAB download size from daily differential? Via Outlook logging "Tools.Options.Other tab.Advanced Options.tick Enable logging" 4. Once a rebuild of OAB in item 1 is complete, is a full OAB download happening ...

Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2003 Migration
Good morning, We are in the process of merging with another company. My current company uses Microsoft Exchange 2003 running on Windows 2003 Enterprise Server. We will be migrating to a new Exchange 2003 server on a separate forest and domain, and a new Exchange organization. We have setup a successful trust, and have full copies of each other's DNS zones. I am able to start the Mail Migration Wizard (MailMig.exe) and get a list of mailboxes without any issues. My problem is, the new company uses a different naming scheme for their user accounts. We currently use first initial follo...

Trend Micro for Exchange
Help... I loaded Trend Micro for exchange on my server. the install failed for no apparent reason, I rebooted after running the uninstall program. upon boot up winbeeb was missing files reg entries as was as backupexec and the mta will not start. I tried re-installing sp3 did not fix. I can get and recieve mail but the mta is not starting. only 1 server. Thanks in advance. Check you DNS configuration as well as your nic binding orders, assuming your server is multihomed. I have seen incorrect binding orders cause mta's to fail after applying E5.5 sp3 and sp4. -- regards, Mi...

Order for installing Exchange DST patch
Hello, I am wondering if there is an order to installing the KB926666 patch for Exchange in a FE/BE environment. We have a Front-end server running OWA and a pair of back-end servers where all our mailboxes reside. None of the KB articles seem to touch on this point, and I was hoping someone knew if there was an order, or if it doesn't matter. Thanks, Chris On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 10:31:03 -0800, Chris E. <ChrisE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello, > > I am wondering if there is an order to installing the KB926666 patch for >Exchange in a FE/BE envi...

Implementing a wireless solution with Exchange 2003
Has anyone implemented Treo smartphones in your environment with Exchange 2003? If so, how did you implement your solution? Thanks for any responses. "Sonya" wrote: > Has anyone implemented Treo smartphones in your environment with Exchange > 2003? If so, how did you implement your solution? > > Thanks for any responses. We are using Goodlink and having good luck with both Treo 650s and Cingular 8125s. I believe the built in Exchange tools only work with Windows Mobile devices, which is part of why we went with Goodlink. You can also have phones from different...

Exchange rate per transaction
Hello, I'm not shure if it's possible or nut (but I haven't found a way for this). I have many accounts in swiss francs (CHF) and one in Euro (EUR). When I enter transactions in the euro-account all is ok. But I think that in the reports, the value of the transactions i converted to CHF with the exchange rate set in the options. But that's not 100% correct because the exchange rate changes every day. Is it somehow possible to set the exchange rate per transaction? I use Money 2005. Is it possible in a newer version? Thank you very much. Regards, Marc Hugelshofer Nope....

Expand Tag Along
hi, how can i expand the tag along item ,that the cashier can select the tagged item from a list of items (choose a gift for customer sold free with an item). thanks ...

Oulook, Expand/Collapse How to setup from Expand all the time.
It drive me nut to reset this each time I need to look at my contact. Need help on this on. Ernie You can set that in the view settings. While in the view in question go to the View menu > Current View > Customize Current View > Group By dialog and set the expand/collapse setting at the bottom "Ernie" <Ernie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AF7CD991-6AA9-47A8-8B5A-4F601176399C@microsoft.com... > It drive me nut to reset this each time I need to look at my contact. > Need help on this on. > Ernie ...

Money 2004: questions from a possible Quicken convertee
i'm trying out the new version of Money and giving it another chance since i'm getting horribly fed up with the Quicken interface. took a while to get use to the very different UI but i like a lot of the features so far. (Microsoft really needs to get a usability person to work on this, though. good gawd, there are some weird interactions.) here's a few questions and comments: 1) is there anyway to sort by status in an account register or is there a way to exclude unaccepted transactions? i want to be able to see what my actual checking account balance is versus what it ...

AfxMessagebox question
Hi, Is there a way to prevent the sound (a beep) when I call AfxMessagebox ? Yoav. I did not know it beeped (?). Docs have nothing about beeping to stop. If you cannot stop the beep, simply write a dialog class which does what you want. It should be straight forward. ---- Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com >I did not know it beeped (?). It depends on the sound you may have assigned to program events in the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties in Control Panel. Dave ...

Upgrade to Exchange
Hi, If I upgrade to exchange 2003 from Windows server 2003 standard how can I make sure that each user gets a mailbox without going to each user, right clicking and creating a mail box? Can I do it by group policy or is there a script somewhere? Thanks you do not upgrade from Windows 2003 to Exchange 2003...Windows 2003 is an OS...Exchange 2003 is an email application...you do not have email boxes, now? "Andrew" <andrew@sdfghjk.com> wrote in message news:BDDA41BF.21691%andrew@sdfghjk.com... > Hi, > > If I upgrade to exchange 2003 from Windows server 2003 standar...

List of Inbound Routes for Exchange 5.5 Server
I have an Exchange 5.5 Server that has almost 100 inbound routes. Is there anywhere that I can find the a list of all the routes (like the registry) and put them into a text file? Thanks Rance route print from the command line if I understand hte question... -- -- Brian Desmond Windows Server MVP desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us Http://www.briandesmond.com "Rancehood" <Rancehood_No_Sp_am@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uKyIG2g3EHA.4064@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I have an Exchange 5.5 Server that has almost 100 inbound routes. Is there > anywhere that I can f...

Protecting a worksheet question
I have a question for Excel 98. I tried to do a simple worksheet protection and provided a password. However, I found that not ALL cell in that particular worksheet was protected. Most of the cell would give you a message telling you the worksheet is protected and you need to unprotect the worksheet to modify the cell content. However, some cells you can still change its content. What are the reasons these things happen? Thank you! Each cell has a locked property that you can toggle. But the "lockedness" doesn't really do anything until the worksheet is protected. Then l...

Redundant exchange services
Our primary exchange data HD has failed, and I am trying to activate the 2ndary exchange server, but everytime I try to configure Outlook it always picks up the original server. I am missing something in the transfer. I have lost all of my mailboxes and just need the server online to receive email On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 14:16:02 -0700, Wayne <Wayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Our primary exchange data HD has failed, and I am trying to activate the >2ndary exchange server, but everytime I try to configure Outlook it always >picks up the original server. I am missing som...

Password not requestested for Exchange access
We have users that log onto one domain for most network access, but sometimes need to access their Exchjange data on a separate domain. For quite a while , when starting Outlook, it would require the user to enter their username, password, & domain - at this point they would enter the username information and alternate domain, and would then be authenticate. Now, some users (after supposedly changing nothing!!) are starting Outlook, and it is going to a blank inbox. When they click Send/Receive, it says they do not have access rights to the mail folders/messages. For example,...

outlook on a network question
Hi, I have outlook as bundled with office 2000 on our pc's at home. What I'd like to do is to have the messages and address book one once pc, that is accessed from both. I did have this working a couple of years back, but we changed the setup. How can I tell one of the installations to use the data as stored on the other pc? I do know that you can only run outlook on one pc at a time using this facility. Thanks Is Outlook 2000 configured in Corporate/Workgroup or Internet Mail Only mode? (See Help | About Microsoft Outlook. Second or third line should state the mode Out...