Exmerge append question

Hi there,

I'm currently looking into ways to doing efficient offsite storage
using Brick Level Backups of the Exchange database. As the size of the
resulting .PST files is obviously an issue (in terms of the time taken
to copy them over a VPN connection), I had originally set it up so
that it would append to the existing .pst files. This all seemed to be
working fine.

However, I had a user have a clearout of a load of old emails, and it
was then that I noticed that the .pst file hadn't reduced in size -
although it appends any new mails to the .PST file, it doesn't appear
to delete any old ones that have been deleted from the mailbox.

Is there a way of configuring Exmerge to do this (like a
synchronisation in effect), or does it only append? I know if the .PST
doesn't already exist then it creates the .PST from scratch (which
will then of course be the correct size), but I have the bandwidth
issue to think about as well.

If anyone has come across this before I would much appreciate your
advice.

Thanks

Andy

0
foolsbar (2)

On 31 Jan, 11:41, "foolsbar" <fools...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm currently looking into ways to doing efficient offsite storage
> using Brick Level Backups of the Exchange database. As the size of the
> resulting .PST files is obviously an issue (in terms of the time taken
> to copy them over a VPN connection), I had originally set it up so
> that it would append to the existing .pst files. This all seemed to be
> working fine.
>
> However, I had a user have a clearout of a load of old emails, and it
> was then that I noticed that the .pst file hadn't reduced in size -
> although it appends any new mails to the .PST file, it doesn't appear
> to delete any old ones that have been deleted from the mailbox.
>
> Is there a way of configuring Exmerge to do this (like a
> synchronisation in effect), or does it only append? I know if the .PST
> doesn't already exist then it creates the .PST from scratch (which
> will then of course be the correct size), but I have the bandwidth
> issue to think about as well.
>
> If anyone has come across this before I would much appreciate your
> advice.
>
> Thanks
>
> Andy

ok, as usual I post, and then find the part in the documentation that
I'm after:

Note   ExMerge.exe will not synchronize a .pst file with a server-
based mailbox. If messages are deleted from the server-based mailbox,
and if those messages are in the .pst file (messages that were copied
during an earlier execution of ExMerge.exe), the program does not
delete them from the .pst file.

In that case, does anyone know of any 3rd party utilities that do what
I want?

Thanks

Andy

0
foolsbar (2)
1/31/2007 11:54:18 AM
Upgrade to Exchange 2007 (when it's ready) and use Cluster Continuous
Replication.

You should never depend on brick level backups.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"foolsbar" <foolsbar@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On 31 Jan, 11:41, "foolsbar" <fools...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I'm currently looking into ways to doing efficient offsite storage
>> using Brick Level Backups of the Exchange database. As the size of the
>> resulting .PST files is obviously an issue (in terms of the time taken
>> to copy them over a VPN connection), I had originally set it up so
>> that it would append to the existing .pst files. This all seemed to be
>> working fine.
>>
>> However, I had a user have a clearout of a load of old emails, and it
>> was then that I noticed that the .pst file hadn't reduced in size -
>> although it appends any new mails to the .PST file, it doesn't appear
>> to delete any old ones that have been deleted from the mailbox.
>>
>> Is there a way of configuring Exmerge to do this (like a
>> synchronisation in effect), or does it only append? I know if the .PST
>> doesn't already exist then it creates the .PST from scratch (which
>> will then of course be the correct size), but I have the bandwidth
>> issue to think about as well.
>>
>> If anyone has come across this before I would much appreciate your
>> advice.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Andy
>
> ok, as usual I post, and then find the part in the documentation that
> I'm after:
>
> Note   ExMerge.exe will not synchronize a .pst file with a server-
> based mailbox. If messages are deleted from the server-based mailbox,
> and if those messages are in the .pst file (messages that were copied
> during an earlier execution of ExMerge.exe), the program does not
> delete them from the .pst file.
>
> In that case, does anyone know of any 3rd party utilities that do what
> I want?
>
> Thanks
>
> Andy

0
curspice6401 (3487)

Exmerge
I received this error log when running the exmerge application. I was able to get it running under a Windows XP, but i installed it under Win 2k3 server and I receive this error. I double checked all permissions on the mail storage and the domain account has receive as, send as permission. I'm using the pst to mail storage option on exmerge. Please see the following error below. **************************************************************** Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Merge Program, v6.5.7529.0 Start Logging:July 28, 2006 13:42:24 ***********************************************...

More Exmerge Woes
Hello: I am trying to use Exmerge to archive mailboxes before deleting or disabling accounts in the DSA. I am trying to run Exmerge on a Windows 2000 Server (SBS) via a TS session. [Note: getting the Exchange 2000 Management Tools to run on an XP box ran into a slew of errors.] Using suggestions from this list and elsewhere, I have done the following: - Created a new user called "exmerge" and put it in new security group called "Exchange Admins". - Exmerge is the only user in "Exchange Admins" - Exmerge is a member of "Exchange Domain Servers" (...

Counting Question #3
I have a spreadsheet that has a list. The identifer number is formated as, 432-4102. I want to be able to group all of the 432, 426 and so on. If I create a new column, how can I just get the first three numbers. =left(a1,3) 3 is the number of characters from the left that you want returned. ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "Metalteck" <Metalteck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8B190F56-002B-403D-91D3-70472AB107AB@microsoft.com... > I have a spreadsheet that has a list. > The identifer number is formated...

5.5 to 2003 question ???
I have a single domain with 2000 and 2003 DCs (2000 native, no nt4) at multiple sites. I have three 2000 global catalog servers and one 2003 global catalog server. Operational Master roles belong to the 2000 server. I have also ran the 2003 forest and domain prep tools on the existing forest/domain (I believe that went all correctly). I have Exchange 5.5 on a 2000 server. I would like to install exchange 2003 on a 2003 server and start migrating users from the 5.5 box. Do I have to upgrade all my Global Catalog servers to 2003 first? And/or any of the OM roles? Please help, I'm stuck cuz...

inbox question
I apologize, I don't have time to search extensively for the answer. I installed a new drive and need to know how to get my old mail from the inbox of the other drive. any help is appreciated. -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =----- Look here for all the information you need on backup and restoration of Outlook data: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address ...

Collections Main Fields Question
On the Customer Payment Summary Inquiry (we get there from clicking the "Stats" button on the Collections Main window, there are a few fields that I'm not sure what they mean and how they are calculated. On of them is the Open Order Amount field in Customer Payment Summary Inquiry. How is this amount calculated and from what tables does it gather the information used. The field it corresponds to is RM00103.ONORDAMT. Also, there is another field on the screen that is labeled "Year-to-Date" and has columns for Highest Balance and Avg. Days. What determines the ...

DMF
Not to expose myself as a complete idiot , but are the Excel spreadsheet's that are part of the data migration framework Wizard actually "pulled" into the process or are they simply planning tools? Thanks, Lloyd They are planning tools -- Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Lloyd" wrote: > Not to expose myself as a complete idiot , but are the Excel spreadsheet's > that are part of the data migration framework Wizard actually "pulled" into > the process or are they simply planning tools? > > Thanks, Lloyd ...

some MDI questions
Hi. I am working on a program that seems to deviate from what the standard doc/view assumes. There will be no new/open file options. Each "document" holds readings from sensors, so they will be added programatically as sensors are added. Each view will be plotted data from each sensor, and since each doc can have multiple sensors, each sensor will have a different view. How do I programatically load the documents when the program runs? All my reading says the framework handles this, but I'm not so sure I want it to. Can I have a document open with no views? The documents ...

ExMerge #20
I downloaded ExMerge from microsoft.com and trying to run it but getting this error message: This application has failed to start because EXCHMEM.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem. TIA is the dll in the \system32 directory? "Sam" <Sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A788034E-BA48-4B1C-93D1-56E2A1B3D320@microsoft.com... > I downloaded ExMerge from microsoft.com and trying to run it but getting this > error message: > This application has failed to start because EXCHMEM.DLL was not found. > Re-installing the app...

hello everybody.. question about .csv file...
i have a excel .CSV file that Gmail generated for me with my contacts in.. what i want to do is function that go over all the contacts emails one by one and deletes all missformated addresses that cannot be use to send email for them.. somthing like : if (the cell's text is not an valid email address) { delete the cell ; } to be honest i dont know much about excel so i need somthing from scratch.. thank you all very much.. A quick and dirty check would be to look for the @ character in the cell. You could insert a new column adjacent to the column with the data...

Installation questions
I am installing a new installation of CRM 3.0 on a "fresh" server with SharePoint Server 2007 and Project Server 2007 on it. My SQL server is a 2005 Standard installation running on 2003 R2. Here is the issue that I am running into. When installing CRM 3.0 I hit a road block after defining which server I want the SQL instance to run on. I choose my 2005_SQL server and tell it to create a new DB instance. On the next installation screen it speaks about SQL Reporting. I do NOT get the option to Install new Reporting Services Server (it is grayed out). On the 2005_SQL server the...

Sales Data .bck file & how to append it to newly created file
Through a series of events too distressing to go into here we seem to have lost a .bck file created from exisiting sales history when we needed to re-install RMS on our office server. What we do have is sales data for the past few weeks, and a .bck file from 3 months ago. The question is how we would go about integrating the 3 month old .bck file into the current data in RMS. Our RMS guy is not sure how to do it, or if it can be done. If integration is not possible, is there a way to substitute the older file (a year's sales) for the newer data (only a month)??? -- WineGuy This...

Find/Replace Question
In a column, I have a series of numbers in this format: 00700*, 01200*, 127000*. This data comes from an outside source, and I need the cells to read 007, 012, 127, without the final 000*. I can't seem to make this happen with Find/Replace, finding 000* and replacing with nothing (to remove the final 000*, as I can do in Word). Any thoughts how I might accomplish this? Kind regards to all. Shirley hi, have you tried text to columns? use fixed width. >-----Original Message----- >In a column, I have a series of numbers in this format: 00700*, 01200*, >127000*. This dat...

question about bank site bill pay
I am a quicken 2005 user, thinking of transferring over to Money 2005. I have one question (so far). I am using my Bank of America free bill pay service. With Quicken, these charges would show up in my register even though the would only happen in the future (this allows me to see my balance ahead). Can Money do this? -- Cheers, Tom G. Basic problem - you can't switch from current year Quicken to same year Money. You need to be one year behind. M2005 can only convert Q2004 or earlier. As the two products hit the streets at about the same time, MS need some time to decode the ...

question about mfc42.dll
Hi, I've been using msvc6 for a year now, and I prefer it over any other IDE for Windows development. However, I've never had to deal with MFC. I decided to make msvc6 have an 'xp style'. At first, I tried by including a manifest file in it's resource section. That seemed to work only for some controls, but all of them, most controls were still unchanged. Then I applied an inline patch to call InitCommonControls, but that had no effect either. While seeing the unchanged controls' properties in Spy++, I noticed they didn't have normal window class names. I b...

ExMerge
I am trying to run ExMerge. What permissions does it need to open the message store? I get these errors in the log file. [12:57:35] Error 8007203a opening an LDAP connection. ('LDAP://EMAIL/rootDSE') (CADRoutines::GetNamingContextData) [13:09:01] Error opening message store (MSEMS). Verify that the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service is running and that you have the correct permissions to log on. (0x8004011d) If this is E2k or E2k3, you need to have Allow Send As and Receive As rights on the Mailbox Store 292509 XADM: How to Configure the Administrator Account to Use...

exmerge and Scanpst
A quick question, whenever I use exmerge to extract a pst file from Excgange 2003, if I do a check wuith Scanpst (from outlook 2003) it always finds errors it needs to fix. Is this expected ? Andy In news:u$Q8GR$eFHA.2700@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl, Andy Cobley <acobley@computing.dundee.ac.uk> typed: > A quick question, whenever I use exmerge to extract a pst file from > Excgange 2003, if I do a check wuith Scanpst (from outlook 2003) it > always finds errors it needs to fix. > > Is this expected ? > > Andy I've never done this, so I can't say. Are you h...

Publisher 2002 Trial Question
Looking for a PID key for Publisher 2002 trial version. Currently have Win 98 and due to other software running am not able to upgrade to Win XP. Contact Microsoft -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "chatcher" <chatcher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8A073DF1-42C0-4D5F-AFF7-C6412A02559C@microsoft.com... > Looking for a PID key for Publisher 2002 trial version. > Currently have Win 98 and due to other software running am not able to > upgrade to Win XP. --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http:/...

Conditional Formatting question #11
I have to color code several cells depending whether they are on target or not. Ex. 100% of Target = Green 90-100% of Target = Yellow <90% of target = Red Any help would be much appreciated. James ...

System.Net.Sockets.Socket question
I have an application that accepts an existing socket connection (passed to it by the server that actually accepted the incoming connection), and I'm trying to find a way to have the application NOT close the socket when it terminates. So basically what I've done is created a class that inherits from System.Net.Sockets.Socket. In the .NET source code I can see that the Dispose() method closes the socket if it is still open, so my first thought was to override the Dispose() method and leave out the socket closing portion of the code. This failed, so maybe my understanding o...

Where is ExMerge on Seroids??
I'm trying to find a utility like Exmerge that would allow me to search my entire priv.edb for all messages sent to a specific domain and or all messages sent to a few internal users. ExMerge only allows you to specificy dates, subjest lines and or attachments. Any ideas?? I'm running Ex5.5Sp4 on Win2kSp4 in a NT4.0 Domain. PowerControls from www.ontrack.com -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "KC2NC" <seethepost@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%230FNjS1PEHA.1644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I'm trying to find...

Exchange Recovery Question
Helo NG at this time we`ve Problems with our Exchange 2003 Server. It has been deleted a single Mailbox without a Bricklevel Backup. Now the last full Backup is from April 15th and the DB Logs are from 05.05 until today. Is it possible to recover the Database with this Logfiles into a different ADS/Exchange Organisation any suggestions..... th You will need to locate the missing logs or else you will only be able to get what was on the last full backup. You can also pull up properties on the mailbox store to see if it thinks there was a newer full backup. As far as the mailbox - it sho...

Installing Exmerge on a cluster
I was wondering if there is anything special that needs to be done with Exmerge on my exchange 2003 machine (virtual machine running in a cluster). The reason that I ask is that clustering is a rather finicy thing in itself and I do not want reload my cluster if I don't have to. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to 1) make sure I dont blow up my cluster. 2) migrate the mailboxes over from 2000 to 2003. (perferrably have this done on a workstaion, so someone does not have to be on the server watching the files move over.). 3) make sure I dont blow up the cluster...

Stupid Outlook 97 Network Question
We use outlook 97 networked in out work I have limited knowledge of how it works the majority have none or little.... We use tasks in public folders to show everyone all the allocated jobs... It is working great and they have all got the hang of it except.. The system show the read and unread messages against each catergory we do not need to see this and it confuses a few people because if you log on at another PC it shows all tasks as unread can I remove the read unread markers PS. Come on help me You have never let me down yet. Thanks Colin You can mark the messages as read by rig...

Question on sorting
I have a spreadsheet that contains 3 columns: Col A = Names Col B = Dates of Birth Col C = An Assigned Password The passwords are formatted as follows: A001Z, B002Y, C003X, etc...through all rows. The spreadsheet contains approximately 2300 rows, currently sorted by name. I need to sort by Password in the above indicated order. Anybody have any ideas how his might be done? Or if it's even possible? Thanks, Mike Highlight the data in columns A to C, including a header row if you have one. Click on Data | Sort and select column C as the first sort field - if you have a header row a...