Exchg 2003: Defrag w/ eseutil

Article ID: 192185
OS: Win2K3 SP1
       Exchange 2003; priv1.edb = 3GB
       1GB RAM
       C drive with 40GB total; 30GB free
Issue #1: I'm confused on the eseutil.exe and how to use it.  I'm getting
some situations whereby we aren't receiving all our emails, so I thought that
defragmenting the Exchg db would be the first step.  Today I expanded the
size of the Exchange DB.  Any other ideas would be welcome!  Hence, I'm going
to attempt a defrag by following the #192185 article.
The article (#192185: How to Defragment with the Eseutil utility
(Eseutil.exe)) states to dismount the information store (Exchng DB)that I'm
wanting to defrag.
1) Is this the Mailbox Store (ServerName) or
2) Is this the Public Folder Store (ServerName)?

Issue #2: Once I go to the command line and do the eseutil how long will the
defrag take?  Can I use Remote Desktop Connection to run the Eseutil or
should I do this AT the server?

Issue #3: Since I need to dismount, does the Eseutil
a) create a new db separate from the original AND rename the new to the
original AND mount the new db so that I "don't need to do anything else"?

Issue #4: What happens to the emails that I'm receiving during the
dismount/defrag process?

Any suggestions helpful.
THanks!!
[Uniquely, since I won't be able to receive some email acknowledgements on
this question, I'll just try to check back!!]
0
Tom7430 (437)

The EDB is too small (3 Gb) to justify doing an offline defrag, imo.
Completely unnecessary.
Besides, that's not a reason for certain messages not being received.

Track the messages you've not received in Message Tracking Center in ESM, or
check the SMTP protocol logs.

Offline defragmentation will create a new store, and you only need to
unmount the private store that you want to defragment, not the public store.
Users will not have access to their mail while you're doing this.
--
Bharat Suneja
MCSE, MCT

"Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Article ID: 192185
> OS: Win2K3 SP1
>       Exchange 2003; priv1.edb = 3GB
>       1GB RAM
>       C drive with 40GB total; 30GB free
> Issue #1: I'm confused on the eseutil.exe and how to use it.  I'm getting
> some situations whereby we aren't receiving all our emails, so I thought
> that
> defragmenting the Exchg db would be the first step.  Today I expanded the
> size of the Exchange DB.  Any other ideas would be welcome!  Hence, I'm
> going
> to attempt a defrag by following the #192185 article.
> The article (#192185: How to Defragment with the Eseutil utility
> (Eseutil.exe)) states to dismount the information store (Exchng DB)that
> I'm
> wanting to defrag.
> 1) Is this the Mailbox Store (ServerName) or
> 2) Is this the Public Folder Store (ServerName)?
>
> Issue #2: Once I go to the command line and do the eseutil how long will
> the
> defrag take?  Can I use Remote Desktop Connection to run the Eseutil or
> should I do this AT the server?

> Issue #3: Since I need to dismount, does the Eseutil
> a) create a new db separate from the original AND rename the new to the
> original AND mount the new db so that I "don't need to do anything else"?

> Issue #4: What happens to the emails that I'm receiving during the
> dismount/defrag process?

> Any suggestions helpful.

> THanks!!
> [Uniquely, since I won't be able to receive some email acknowledgements on
> this question, I'll just try to check back!!]

0
bharatsuneja1 (3145)
9/28/2005 1:56:31 AM
Your solution does not seem to be appropriate to your reported problem.  I
don't think it will do anything beneficial for you.  I don't have any
alternative suggestions, however, because your problem statement is far from
complete.  On to your questions.
#1 - It depends on which one you want to defragment.
#2 - About an hour per 6GB.  Your mileage may vary widely.
#3 - Yes.
#4 - They should queue up.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Article ID: 192185
> OS: Win2K3 SP1
>       Exchange 2003; priv1.edb = 3GB
>       1GB RAM
>       C drive with 40GB total; 30GB free
> Issue #1: I'm confused on the eseutil.exe and how to use it.  I'm getting
> some situations whereby we aren't receiving all our emails, so I thought
> that
> defragmenting the Exchg db would be the first step.  Today I expanded the
> size of the Exchange DB.  Any other ideas would be welcome!  Hence, I'm
> going
> to attempt a defrag by following the #192185 article.
> The article (#192185: How to Defragment with the Eseutil utility
> (Eseutil.exe)) states to dismount the information store (Exchng DB)that
> I'm
> wanting to defrag.
> 1) Is this the Mailbox Store (ServerName) or
> 2) Is this the Public Folder Store (ServerName)?
>
> Issue #2: Once I go to the command line and do the eseutil how long will
> the
> defrag take?  Can I use Remote Desktop Connection to run the Eseutil or
> should I do this AT the server?
>
> Issue #3: Since I need to dismount, does the Eseutil
> a) create a new db separate from the original AND rename the new to the
> original AND mount the new db so that I "don't need to do anything else"?
>
> Issue #4: What happens to the emails that I'm receiving during the
> dismount/defrag process?
>
> Any suggestions helpful.
> THanks!!
> [Uniquely, since I won't be able to receive some email acknowledgements on
> this question, I'll just try to check back!!]

0
curspice6401 (3487)
9/28/2005 1:56:47 AM
I see that you've recommended to check the ESM Message Tracking Center or the
SMTP protocol logs.  Since I'm not familiar with these what do I search on if
I don't think I've received the emails? (Tools>Message Tracking Center).  On
the SMTP, I'm not too sure where this is unless it's
Servers>ServerName>Protocols>TMTP>Intelligent MEssage Filtering
[For example, I should have received the emails on notification for this
thread, but I haven't.  What are the possible options?  I can send but
receiving isn't occurring.  Keep in mind that I'm out of the office now but
it works in the office.  The send/receive worked fully until recently and
there were NO changes made to Exchange!  However, I now need to use https://
to access my OWA rather than http://, for what it's worth.)
Thanks for your help!

"Bharat Suneja" wrote:

> The EDB is too small (3 Gb) to justify doing an offline defrag, imo.
> Completely unnecessary.
> Besides, that's not a reason for certain messages not being received.
>
> Track the messages you've not received in Message Tracking Center in ESM, or
> check the SMTP protocol logs.
>
> Offline defragmentation will create a new store, and you only need to
> unmount the private store that you want to defragment, not the public store.
> Users will not have access to their mail while you're doing this.
> --
> Bharat Suneja
> MCSE, MCT
> --------------------------------
>

> "Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Article ID: 192185
> > OS: Win2K3 SP1
> >       Exchange 2003; priv1.edb = 3GB
> >       1GB RAM
> >       C drive with 40GB total; 30GB free
> > Issue #1: I'm confused on the eseutil.exe and how to use it.  I'm getting
> > some situations whereby we aren't receiving all our emails, so I thought
> > that
> > defragmenting the Exchg db would be the first step.  Today I expanded the
> > size of the Exchange DB.  Any other ideas would be welcome!  Hence, I'm
> > going
> > to attempt a defrag by following the #192185 article.
> > The article (#192185: How to Defragment with the Eseutil utility
> > (Eseutil.exe)) states to dismount the information store (Exchng DB)that
> > I'm
> > wanting to defrag.
> > 1) Is this the Mailbox Store (ServerName) or
> > 2) Is this the Public Folder Store (ServerName)?
> >
> > Issue #2: Once I go to the command line and do the eseutil how long will
> > the
> > defrag take?  Can I use Remote Desktop Connection to run the Eseutil or
> > should I do this AT the server?
>

> > Issue #3: Since I need to dismount, does the Eseutil
> > a) create a new db separate from the original AND rename the new to the
> > original AND mount the new db so that I "don't need to do anything else"?
>
> > Issue #4: What happens to the emails that I'm receiving during the
> > dismount/defrag process?
>

> > Any suggestions helpful.
>
> > THanks!!
> > [Uniquely, since I won't be able to receive some email acknowledgements on
> > this question, I'll just try to check back!!]

0
Tom7430 (437)
9/28/2005 2:28:01 AM
You can figure out in Message Tracking if your Exchange org received the
message at all, and what it did with it.
- can search for the message if you know sender/recipient.
- knowing date/time helps narrow it down.

- Ditto with SMTP protocol log - can check the server that receives your
inbound mail from the internet
- did it actually receive the message around that time?
-  If it did not (receive any communication from sender's mail server/smtp
gateway), you can relay info to the sender's postmaster, have them check
their smtp logs
- can find out location of your smtp logs from smtp virtual server
properties (under Servername | Protocols | SMTP) and checking the Logging
properties.
(will only need to do this if the missing mail is coming from an internet
sender)

- Not sure what your "out of office" config is, or what it has to do with
this situation.
--
Bharat Suneja
MCSE, MCT

> [...]
>> > 2) Is this the Public Folder Store (ServerName)?
>> >
>> > Issue #2: Once I go to the command line and do the eseutil how long
>> > will
>> > the
>> > defrag take?  Can I use Remote Desktop Connection to run the Eseutil or
>> > should I do this AT the server?
>>

>> > Issue #3: Since I need to dismount, does the Eseutil
>> > a) create a new db separate from the original AND rename the new to the
>> > original AND mount the new db so that I "don't need to do anything
>> > else"?
>>
>> > Issue #4: What happens to the emails that I'm receiving during the
>> > dismount/defrag process?
>>

>> > Any suggestions helpful.
>>
>> > THanks!!
>> > [Uniquely, since I won't be able to receive some email acknowledgements
>> > on
>> > this question, I'll just try to check back!!]

bharat3597 (1006)

Outlook 2003 does not display contents of "Notes" folder
Outlook 2003 does not display the contents of my Notes folder when I click on the Notes "button" at the bottom of the left window pane. The left window pane gets updated but the right window pane still displays the previous folder. For example, I click on the Mail button. Next I click on the Notes button. The left pane changes to list a choice of views (which are MAIL-specific) but the middle pane still shows my inbox and the right pane still the mail preview. If I click on Tasks then Notes, the left pane lists a choice of views (which are TASKS-specific) but the right pa...

Access 2003 to 2007 Converstion
I converted a database fromm Access 2003 to Access 2007 and now none of the command buttons work. Can anyone tell me how to get them to work again? By default, VBA code is disabled. You need to add the path where your databases are stored to the Trusted Locations to enable it. To do this, click on the Office Button then follow the path Access Options | Trust Center | Trusted Locations. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Jackie" <Jackie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:673C648F-DDFB-4197-BA6D-546C3EA12357...

Memory utilization in Exchange 2003
Hi there We have one exchange server 2003 enterprise, OS window 2003 server running with 4 cups & 4 Giga bytes RAM. My friend told that, with default exchange 2003 install will only utilize 1 Gig bytes RAM only. How can I increase 4 Giga bytes for exchange utilization? thank you Use of the /3GB switch in Exchange Server 2003 on a Windows Server 2003-based system http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823440 Exchange memory use and the /3GB switch http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328882 Why does Exchange recommend /3GB if you have more than 1GB of physical memory? http://blogs.msdn.com/...

Using Word XP as editor in Outlook 2003
My Outlook 2003 will not allow me to use Word XP as my default email editor (the option is greyed out). I tried using different email formats (HTML, rich text, plain text), but the option is not available. Any suggestions? You need to keep the pair in the same Office "family" to make it work. Hope this is useful to you. Let us know. rms Dan wrote: > My Outlook 2003 will not allow me to use Word XP as my > default email editor (the option is greyed out). I tried > using different email formats (HTML, rich text, plain > text), but the option is not availabl...

Exchange 2003 from SBS 2003
Hi there, Sounds stupid, I know, but just wanted to confirm Exchange 2003 that comes with SBS 2003 has exactly the same configuration, administration etc. as the stand alone product (I know setup can't be the same, as it's part of the SBS overall install routine). Thanks! Daniel Hello Daniel, product is the same as the exchange standart edition, with just some restrictions by the small business server packet and the additional pop3 connector, which is missing in the standart and enterprise version. Regards Roger "Daniel Mendes" <danielmendes@globo.com> schrieb...

MS Word 2003
I have been using MS Word for my work for many years. All of a sudden my space bar started deleting the next letter instead of making a space when adding a word into a sentence. How do I stop it or change it? -- Smitty Hit the Insert key on your keyboard one time. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "OSmitty01" <OSmitty01@ Yahoo .com> wrote in message news:84989B9C-6FE3-4718-9A07-558381E9DF99@microsoft.com... >I have been using MS Word for my work for many years. All of a sudden ...

.NET 2003 file corruption
I am working on a medium-sized commercial MFC application with Source Control using VSS and have encountered what appears to be some kind of source file corruption issue. The problem only seems to occur with one large source file of 4k+ lines. I can reproduce the problem in the following way - In .h file a.h - class AClass { // Lots of stuff CString AFunction(); } in a.cpp - CString AClass::AFunction() { return _T(""); } This compiles fine. If I then remove the prototype in the .h and the function in the .cpp I get seemingly random syntax errors. If I add this stuff ...

Outlook 2003 other shortcuts
Hello friends, I just installed Outlook 2003 on a one our users' machine, and I am unable to find other shortcuts outlook bar group. He needs to access my documents folder from Outlook, how can he do this in outlook 2003? Thanks. Outlook 2003 has the Shortcuts Navigation pane module - you can add a shortcut to My documents to it, but it's going to open in Windows Explorer, not Outlook as it does not support file browsing. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google...

Money: Upgrading from 2003 to 2006
I wrote a long article back in February detailing my experience attempting to upgrade from 2003 to 2005. At the end of this experiment I decided to completely roll back to 2003. What I didn't take into account was that Microsoft had unknownlingly locked me into the 2006 version by hiding a ticking timebomb in my application. Knowing that my downloads were weeks away of coming to a grinding halt, I had no other option. As long as I was upgrading for good though, I decided to write my new experiences for those of you interested. ---The Decisions--- My first task was to decide which option...

Exhange 2003 and Outlook 2003
using exhange server to allocate a office resource say like a conference room is book for the day. ...

Tracking of NDRs on Exchange Server 2003
I am running several Exchange virtual servers (EVS) in my organisation. I wish to monitor the NDRs that users from a particular EVS receive. There is this option to "send copies of non-delivery reports sent to a specific email address" under the messages tab in the SMTP Virtual Server's properties. Let us say that user1 from (EVS 1) sends a email to a user2 (EVS 2) and the email is non-deliverable and so user1 will get a NDR. And if I set the "send copies non-delivery reports sent to a specific email address" option to my own email address on EVS 1, would I stil...

Excel 2003
I'm simply brain dead this morning and could use a little help. I have assembled a column of pointers into a table. These pointers are simply the row number of the selected data in a table. Assuming that this column starts in A01, I would like to create a formula in B01 that simply makes B01 equal to the data located in a specified column (use column F for the example) in the row specified by A01. I remember doing this before, but it just excapes me this morning. Thanks in advance for your consideration and help, Craig =indirect("F"&a1) Craig Brandt wrote: > ...

Making 2003 personal home page
In the previous version of outlook a view could be created where you could see folders (left), tasks (bottom right), calendar (top right) and today's appointments (middle). I really liked this view. Can this view be created using outlook 2003? You're probably talking about Outlook Today. that's still there in Outlook 2003. Navigate to the top folder in your folder tree and you should still be able to see it. There was no other way inherent in Outlook to create such a view so I'm assuming that's what you're looking for. Anything else would have been an add-in creat...

Money 2004 Disappointing. Downgrading to 2003.
After playing with it for a few days, I'm going to back out of Money 2004 and continue with 2003. I can't name a single thing that shows marked improvement in this new version. And, more to the point, most of the things I found frustrating about 2003 (background updates still require Passport, what the _fuck_; reconciliation continues to be utterly useless; "Home" is slow to load; minor updates to a field in a list of transactions require the entire page to refresh) - remain just as bad. I'm surprised that Microsoft calls this a new piece of software. If anything, it ...

Outlook 2003 Upgrade
I just recently upgraded to MS Office 2003 Prof and have been unable to log into my e-mail since - the login screen no longer requests my Domain. My OS is Windows XP Home. Any suggestions on how I can fix this issue? Try creating a new mail profile. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer lstjohn@cableone.net <lstjohn@cableone.net> asked: | I just recently upgraded to MS Office 2...

MS Exchange 2003
If accidently deleted an user's account with mailbox. After re-create the user account, how to recover the user mailbox? Em Yeu wrote: > If accidently deleted an user's account with mailbox. > After re-create the user account, how to recover the user mailbox? Open the System Manager then drill down to the respective Mailbox Store > Mailboxes. Right-click the Mailboxes container and select Run Cleanup Agent, then find the mailbox in the right pane (indicated by a red X) right-click it and select Reconnect. -- Henrik Walther Exchange MVP Exchange-faq.dk MSExchange.org ...

why is the queue so backed up on exchg 2003
when i look at the queue in exchang 2003 it appears to be backed up. with stuff Puff N Stuff? On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 17:56:41 -0400, "James" <jgrace@digitelusa.net> wrote: >when i look at the queue in exchang 2003 it appears to be backed up. with >stuff > ...

Excel 2003 Addin "Template Wizard with Data Tracking"
Is there and where can I get the Template Wizard with Data Tracking for Excel 2003? Does Microsoft plan to keep developing this addin for this and future versions of Office? I see the download for the XP2002 version but this does not work with 2003. It is not included on the CD or the online list of addin's and has not been included since Office2000, hence the individual download for XP2002. CLF Hi ChrisF the Add-in is working in 2003 only the install file is not working. Copy the xla file from a machine with 2002 to a machine witrh 2003 and it will work(use Tools>add-ins to ...

Connection filter in Exchange 2003
Hi, I want to know how Exchange 2003 talk to external black list provider. using DNS query or SMTP? Does the firewall need to open the port for Exchange 2003 to black list provider THANK BEN DNS Open port 53 -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm "Ben" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

Is there any way to open a file saved under Publisher 2003 in Pub.
"��MS-Publisher��" <brains@here.com> wrote in message news:ecE1%231MDFHA.1836@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > > Files created in Publisher 2003 can be "Saved As" Publisher 2000 and Publisher 98 format (2002 and 2003 share the same format). If your version of Publisher is 97 or older, then you are out of luck. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "CJ" <CJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:99E512EE-63...

Outlook 2003 / Exchange and 2nd mailbox...
I have Outlook 2003 & Exchange server 2003. I'm responsible for my personal mailbox, and another mailbox (helpdesk). Now, on the 2nd mailbox, if I have Tasks in it (which I always do, since it's a Helpdesk mailbox/tasks list) and there is a reminder on that Task, I will NEVER be notified of it. Is there a way to correct this? Only using a 3rd party addin is this possible. Try Reminder Manager by a Ken Slovak (Microsoft Outlook MVP. :) http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm "Ivan T. Williams" <itw@discussion.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:%233KDeS0...

View Hotmail Junk Folder in Outlook 2003
Hi- I just brought up outlook and notice that my favorite folders are reset as well as my hotmail account. I cannot see my Hotmail Junk Mail folder or any of my personal folders, even when just exploring the Hotmail folder. I tried deleting the account and adding it again but still no luck. I did just update to Office SP1 though. Does anyone else experience this or know what I might be able to do to see the folders again? Thanks! -Dan Navigation pane customizations can be a little fragile. Hopefully, SP1 will be more stable. I'd set up the favorite folders again and see how it go...

Exchange 2003 mailbox size
SBS2003 R2 running Exchange: I need to increase the size of a mailbox above 2G (I know there are admin issues with >2G but needs must). If I try and increase the mailbox size setting on the user account or mailbox store properties etc I get a max 2G warning dialogue! Is this due to using cache'd mode? Is there any way round this 2G limit if not due to cache mode!? Ta. On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 16:50:17 -0700, Denis Cook <DenisCook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >SBS2003 R2 running Exchange: > >I need to increase the size of a mailbox above 2G (I know...

Online Defrags
Am I right in thinking that white space is created by the subtasks in online maintenance and also by the online defrag (as it compresses records to fewer pages)? If so is there any way of identifying how much white space is created with the online maint. and then the online defrag? Our online defrags are not completing - they are terminated with 704 event ids and then we get the 1221 events stating the amount of white space. I can't tell how far the online defrag gets through the process on each mbx store... Is this a problem or does it not matter that much? Is there a way to estimate th...

Excel 2003 calculation bug
Hi, I think I have found a bug on Excel 2003, but I am not sure if it is fixed. I have written a very simple "program" in a new clean workbook: A1 : 30.2 B1 : 32.3 C1 : 1.1 D1 : 1 E1 : =A1-B1+C1+D1 The result is 2.22045E-15..........I suppose it should be zero. The numbers are so simple, and the formula is straight forward enough that I don't think it is ignorable. I understand that using ROUND function or check the option "precision as display" can solve the problem, but is it a little bit too much to do for such simple work? Could anyone provide me the bug fix ...