Exchange very slow over high latency networks - is there a fix?

Attachment downloads from an Exchange server to a PC using IMAP is very
slow.

A network trace shows that Exchange sends bursts of data (8KB or about
5 TCP packets) then sits and waits for the TCP ACKS before sending any
more data. This is blocky and slow as the ACKs take a while to get back
to Exchange due to the high latency.

So attachment downloads are very slow compared with protocols that send
lots of data packets (FTP, HTTP) and use the TCP window size.

Does anyone know about this - a fix to Exchange would be ideal?

Exchange Version is 2000.

I of course meant MAPI not IMAP...

nick.seccombe@gmail.com wrote:

>Attachment downloads from an Exchange server to a PC using IMAP is very
>slow.
>
>A network trace shows that Exchange sends bursts of data (8KB or about
>5 TCP packets) then sits and waits for the TCP ACKS before sending any
>more data. This is blocky and slow as the ACKs take a while to get back
>to Exchange due to the high latency.
>
>So attachment downloads are very slow compared with protocols that send
>lots of data packets (FTP, HTTP) and use the TCP window size.
>
>Does anyone know about this - a fix to Exchange would be ideal?
>
>Exchange Version is 2000.

Exchange 2003 SP2 and Outlook 2003 SP2. Set Outlook to work in cached
mode.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Thanks,
Nick

nick.seccombe@gmail.com wrote:

>That's great - so I guess there is no patch/fix for Exchange 2000?

You can configure the Outlook clients to work in offline mode and use
an OST.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

exchange 2003: performance degration
I'm running exch 2003 SP2 on Win2003 server. Is there something that can be done to avoid performance degration when working with mailboxes with over 6000 items in mailbox en over 5GB in size. The entire mailbox store size is only like 9GB with 33 users, but the boss is a great user. Please help! Frank Have the great user move messages to folders other than the Inbox for a start. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "Frank Jacobs" <FrankJacobs@discussions.microsoft.co...

multiple managers for distribution list in gal on exchange 2k3
Hi all, is there a way to allow multiple persons in a organisation to manage GAL distribution list on exchange 2k3 via the outlook client? If we se one as owner, only this person could administer the list, but we need solution for more than one manager. Thanks a lot. Klau - ZeroFighte ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted via http://www.webservertalk.co ----------------------------------------------------------------------- View this thread: http://www.webservertalk.com/message535481.htm Klaus- Check out this KB: http://support.microsoft.com...

Exchange 2003 / Outlook 2003 attachments
I need to change the file type that are allowed for attachments and I have no idea where to do this at. I also need to make this a global change so that all users have the same attachment type availible and blocked. If somebody can please direct me where to go and make these changes or to help me with preparing some sort of security script it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You Howard I have found the MS help page the discribes how to set Outlook to allow attachments and send them but I need help on how to make this a global policy. Thanks, Howard Is there anyone who would be willi...

help moving to new exchange server
Hi i have hopefully a quick and easy question. we are in the process of migrating our exchange 5.5 server, to exchange 2003. what i need as a quick easy way to modify everyones outlook profile to point to the new server. the new server is in a whole new org, and with a new name. we are using outlook 98,2000,xp, and 2003 i'm leaning towards using the .prf files, but what i am hoping is that someone else has done this and has some scripts already made :) Thanks for any help anyone can give. Where do you get stuck with creating a prf-file? A better way to do it is by using the foll...

Server drive failed
I have a single server installation running Exchange 5.5 The hard drive failed and I need to restore from tape backup. A recent backup log shows the following Exchange files that were skipped and not backed up. How can I recover Exchange without these files? If I can not recover, is there a way to retreive messages? The item \exchsrvr\DSADATA\DIR.EDB in use - skipped. The item \exchsrvr\DSADATA\edb.log in use - skipped. The item \exchsrvr\DSADATA\temp.edb in use - skipped. The item \exchsrvr\dxadata\edb.log in use - skipped. The item \exchsrvr\dxadata\TEMP.EDB in use - skipped. The item \exc...

Restoring Exchange Srv back to alternative server in diff domain
I have an exchange 2003 backup which was backed up using NTbackup - is in the format bkf. How do I restore that backup on another exchange server on separate domain? I have tried the method 3 as suggested at the following url: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823176 but while trying to restore from the backup I get the following error: "unable to create the log path. Check to make sure that it is a valid path" When restoring I am trying to restore to a different server in my new domain called Be1 while my original exchange server was called Ex. Also on...

Exchange 2000 upgrade
I currently run an Exchange 2000 standard on a Windows 2000 standard server in a Windows 2000 mixed mode domain. The current Exchange server is also a DC and a GC server. I am preparing to upgrade to Exchange 2003 Ent with Windows 2003 standard server on a new box. This new box will have 4 GB RAM and 6 - 72 GB drives. We have about 75 mailboxes. I'm looking for advices on the following information: _ Step-by-Step upgrade instructions _ My Exchange server is in Mixed mode, is it necessary to change it to Native mode before I upgrade _ Does it matter if I move the mailboxes be...

Problem: one site inaccessible from my AD network but works elsewh
What would be causing this problem: One website on my active directory network is inaccessible, but he website works fine from everywhere else. Thanks "chinwan" <chinwan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00E5DA93-E330-4704-AD72-5FECD3887E60@microsoft.com... > What would be causing this problem: > One website on my active directory network is inaccessible, but he website > works fine from everywhere else. > > > Thanks Can you elaborate, please? Define inaccessible and where from (internal or external). Feel free to provid...

Public Folders missing after going from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003!!! HELP!
Ok - this is what happened. I was following along in MS KB #316886, and I was on page 5 where it talks about the migration of Public Folders and Mailboxes. What I did was (I didn't read the directions carefully, I know) I went to move the Public Folders to the new 2003 Exchange server. I went to the 5.5 Admin program, and went to the Public Folder that I wanted to move, and I went to Properties, and the Replicas Tab. I misunderstood the directions. So basically, how it was set up was: BEFORE: Servers: Replicate Folders To: EXCH3 EXCHANG EXCH2K3 AFTER: Servers: ...

outlook 2003 cached exchange mode #3
We have outlook 2003 clients set up in cached exchange mode. We have some computers that have multiple users. We have multiple outlook profiles under each logged on user. If a user cancels at the login prompt for outlook they will be able to read the email of the user due to cached mode. Also, the outlook account will go to work offline. Is there a way to use cached mode and not allow people to view email if they hit cancel. Yes, use separate user login accounts for Windows instead of separate mail profiles. -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office relat...

KB977165
Is it safe to install this update now I am using a Dell XPS9150 with Windows XP Pro SP2 (SP3 refuses to complete <sigh>. Having suffered the BSOD caused by KB977165 and it's apparent interaction with a virus (W32/Alureon?) I need to know if I can now _safely_ install the update? How (other than a reinstall) can I be sure my system is clean? I use Windows Firewall and AV, AVG free, Spybot Search & Destroy and Trend Housecall. AVG, Spybot and Trend Housecall had found one or two infections, (why didn't the Windows AV and firewall stop them?) but a retest...

After migrating from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 I get a connect problem -- Please Help!!
Sometimes a user tries to connect to the Exchange Server from Outlook a window pops up stating that exchange is in recovery mode and gives you a choice to to connect, wait, exit (something close to that). I would have thought that the recovery part by now would be complete but 2 months later still doing the same thing Thank You Will There is a name resolution problem on your network. Make sure that DNS suffix on server and clients do match, and DNS server can be contacted by user's machines. MS Newbie wrote: > Sometimes a user tries to connect to the Exchange Server from Outloo...

exchange property tabs
Hi, I would like to add the exchange property tabs to AD users & computer users accounts so they are available when I administer users accounts from any DC and not just exchange? I thought it would be a case of installing the deployment tools but in order to do this I have to install iis on my DC's is this the correct thing to do? On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 01:56:02 -0800, "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I would like to add the exchange property tabs to AD users & computer users >accounts so they are available when I administer us...

Exchange 2003 SP2
Does anyone know what Exchange 2003 SP2 is going to offer? Is there an enhancement and fix list I could possibly have access to? HI CB, I noticed a post today on You Had me at EHLO (MS Exchange Team Blog), about new Public Folder management features in SP2. If you are after news about SP2 this is the Blog to monitor. http://blogs.technet.com/exchange/default.aspx Regards -- Ben Hoffman MCP (Win2000 Pro/Server & Exchange 2003 Admin) http://www.ExchangeIS.com "CB" <CB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E2519C37-3DBD-48E7-8940-1A85656F556F@microsoft.com...

Exchange 2003 stops responding
Hi, I'm hoping someone would have an answer for this. We are running Exchange on Server 2003. We have several offsite locaitons that connect to us via ISDN and T1 connections. The sites are complaining that after leaving Outlook (2002 and 2003) open for some time, they get a message "retrieving data from server". They lose any information they've typed at this time and they're offline. I've had them reset the timeout setting from 30 to 160 per a MS knowledge base article but that has not helped. Has anyone else had this problem? ...

high disk queue and pages/sec activity on mailbox servers
we have 3 Exchange 2003 mailbox servers that house our mailboxes. Exch1 and Exch2 house the majority of our mailboxes. On these two servers, I am seeing a high instance continually of DiskQueue and Pages/sec values while not so on Exch3. As an added note, we also have BES enterprise and Enterprise Vault in our environment. I only mention those because they interface with the mailboxes but my gut tells me that the problem is more related to the number of mailboxes on Exch1 and Exch2....Anyway, I'm new to troubleshooting Exchange so I'm looking for experienced directio...

Public Folder issue between Exchange 2000 & 2003
Environment Setup: * Several Ex2000 (SP3) servers in 'First Administrative Group'. * 1x Ex2003 server (ENT- SP1) in 'Second Administrative Group'. Aim: * Migrate all email resources to Ex2003 server/s in 'Second Administrative Group'. Work done: * Moved few mail boxes from one of EX2K to Ex2003 server (in Second Mailbox Group). * Setup replica of one Public Folder to Ex2003 server (Schedule - always run). * After successful replication to Ex2003, removed replica of this PF from Exch 2000 server (which happens to be first Exchange server in the organisation). P...

Exchange Quota Message Service
I thought I had set it up correctly (on an Exchange 2003 server with SP1, making all the required registry changes etc.) but when I try to run a manual quota maintenance, I get the following error message: "The RPC Server is unavailable" Here are the variables I was using: SiteDN: /o=SMTPORG/ou=SITE1 Server DN: /o=SMTPORG/ou=SITE1/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=ADCTEST HomeDSA: ADCTEST CommonName: /o=SMTPORG/ou=SITE1/cn=Recipients/cn=BUILDER_B (the name of the mailbox that issues the quota messages) Version number is 1.0.0.4 Anything (syntax, version number, etc.) need to change...

VSS on Exchange 2003
Hi, I'm trying to configure Exchange 2003 to with VSS using only NT backup and the system provider. Is there any documentation on how to setup / configure this? I can't seem to find anything on this on the MS site. Thanks. The version of NT backup that ships with windows 2003 doesnt support VSS, you cant take a snapshot of the DB with NT backup. You need to find a 3rd party solution for this. I think Veritas makes a product that supports this. "TMM" wrote: > Hi, > > I'm trying to configure Exchange 2003 to with VSS using only NT backup and > the sy...

Migrating Exchange 5.5 on WinNT to a Win2K server running Exch 2K
I am new to the Exchange game. I have a WinNT machine running Exchange 5.5 and I need to migrate the users and mail to a machine running Server 2K and Exchange server 2000. Exmerge doesn't work on the NT machine due to OS restrictions. How can I Copy/Past or Migrate all of the users and mail from one to the other. They are running on different domains and are able to see each other through Network Neighborhood. Is there a way of backing up and restoring ? Please any help is very much appreciated as I am new to the company and this migration is a very big project. ...

Exchange 2003 is not creating smpt address
We have recently migrage from 2000 to 2003. However, I have notice if I create a new mailbox the SMPT address or to say anything within the e-mail tab of the user account is not been created. But if I have the old exchange 2000 up and running it will create e-mail address. Why is this happening and how could I fix this? Check the configuration of your Recipient Update Service in Exchange System Manager in that it points to a valid domain controller and Exchange server. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "Ron&quo...

Outlook stucks on retrieving data from exchange server and freeze
Intermittently the outlook giving error " Retrieving data from exchange server" and it stucks there for a while and then freezes and need to close the outlook and it is happening quite often now. "tsp1gms" wrote: > Intermittently the outlook giving error " Retrieving data from exchange > server" and it stucks there for a while and then freezes and need to close > the outlook and it is happening quite often now. Hi, When you check,is your Outlook offline when you get this error? And is your connection to your exchange server RP...

Whats the best practice to fix update failures from WSUS?
We have hundreds of machines that fail on one or two updates. They are all different updates. Each one has a different failure reason. Is there a quick fix for WSUS failure or do I need to troubleshoot each computer individually. Its strange because 1 or 2 computers fail for almost every update, they are not the same computer each time, but 98% of our machines will install the updates with no problem. If there is no quick fix, is there a set of instructions to follow that will help me to resolve the situation on each machine? Thanks for any help!! Start by posting su...

How can do I get Network User ID in the MSAccess?
Is there any function or command to get the network UserID (not the database user id) within a database form? I remember using it in earlier versions of Access but can not seems to find it in the 2003. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Private Declare Function GetUserName Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias "GetUserNameA" (ByVal lpBuffer As String, nSize As Long) As Long Function UserNameWindows() As String Dim lngLen As Long Dim strBuffer As String Const dhcMaxUserName = 255 strBuffer = Space(dhcMaxUserName) lngLen = dhcMaxUserName If...

recursive serarch on a network directory with share permissions?
How would you do a search on a network directoru with share permissions? New to vbscript. Thanks, "as14177" <as14177@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C5E6557D-E78F-4E5B-A813-D7E6F927D2E0@microsoft.com... > How would you do a search on a network directoru with share permissions? > New > to vbscript. > > Thanks, Can you elaborate a little? What do you want to search for? What role do the permissions play? What operating system do you have? ...