Exchange Server Log Files

Hello,
There's two questions that I have about log files.
First question.

I just started at a new company and they have no disk space on the server 
and no money to by additional storage for some time. I browse the server and 
removed any files that are not needed. It seems that every day that a couple 
of hundred MB are being saved on the drive that are due by the exchange 
server.  I did some searching on the drive and there's a folder that's setup 
and there's several smtp log files that are named (in050610.log) which is 
about 1.5 GB. I assumed that somewhere down the road someone enabled smtp 
logging. My understanding this is only turned on if you are troubleshoot mail 
issues, should this be on or can I disable this and remove the log files? Or 
I can leave it enabled but can I remove the log files and gain that disk 
space?

Ok, second question. 
In c:\program files\exchsrvr\mdbdata there's several hundred of E0003A2E.log 
files that are taking up to 20gig's. It seems to be that there's 20 of these 
log files saving each day. Do I need to keep these log files also or can I 
remove them?

Thanks for your help.
John

0
John1063 (943)
9/23/2006 9:06:01 PM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 1 followers. Follow

3 Replies
332 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 0

John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>There's two questions that I have about log files.
>First question.
>
>I just started at a new company and they have no disk space on the server 
>and no money to by additional storage for some time. I browse the server and 
>removed any files that are not needed. It seems that every day that a couple 
>of hundred MB are being saved on the drive that are due by the exchange 
>server.  I did some searching on the drive and there's a folder that's setup 
>and there's several smtp log files that are named (in050610.log) which is 
>about 1.5 GB. I assumed that somewhere down the road someone enabled smtp 
>logging. My understanding this is only turned on if you are troubleshoot mail 
>issues, should this be on or can I disable this and remove the log files? Or 
>I can leave it enabled but can I remove the log files and gain that disk 
>space?

You can leave the logging enabled and delete the log files no no
longer need. You didn't say where those log files were stored, though.
The SMTP and HTTP log file are usually (but not always) in the
system32\logfiles directory (each in their own subdirectory).

The log file name you gave was from June 10, 2005. If it's a SMTP
protocol log files I doubt you need it. The Exchange SMTP protocol log
file names usually begin with "ex", not "in". Verify that the names
match the information in the SMTP Virtual Server.

>Ok, second question. 
>In c:\program files\exchsrvr\mdbdata there's several hundred of E0003A2E.log 
>files that are taking up to 20gig's. It seems to be that there's 20 of these 
>log files saving each day. Do I need to keep these log files also or can I 
>remove them?

Those log files should be removed when you make a "normal" (online)
backup of the Exchange databases.

I wouldn't delete them. I'd find out why the backup isn't being run,
or why the backup isn't removing the log files.

-- 
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm
Don't send mail to this address mailto:h.pott@getronics.com
Or to these, either: mailto:h.pott@pinkroccade.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@getronics.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@pinkroccade.com
0
richnews (7316)
9/23/2006 9:29:27 PM
Rich,

Thanks for your quick response. To response to your First question. The 
directory is not  
the system32 directory. It's being stored in c:\logfiles\smtpsvc1 and all 
the log files begin with "in". I checked the ESM under smtp protocols and 
it's enabled and that the directory states c:\logfiles. So taking your 
suggestion is to leave it enabled and I can purge those log files off the 
server? 

to response to your second question. I did some research on this after I 
posted this message and I found what you mentioned. There's an old backup 
exec program running on the box and determine this week that's it's not 
working. So they are there because no backup has run. Money is tight for this 
company right now. So I'm going into the office tomorrow to run at least 
ntback of the exchange server and that should help with disk space that I'm 
in right now. This will free up alot of disk space. Have any tips for me on 
running NTBACKUP on a windows 2000 server backing up exchange? 
Thanks for your help.

John

 
"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:

> John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> 
> >Hello,
> >There's two questions that I have about log files.
> >First question.
> >
> >I just started at a new company and they have no disk space on the server 
> >and no money to by additional storage for some time. I browse the server and 
> >removed any files that are not needed. It seems that every day that a couple 
> >of hundred MB are being saved on the drive that are due by the exchange 
> >server.  I did some searching on the drive and there's a folder that's setup 
> >and there's several smtp log files that are named (in050610.log) which is 
> >about 1.5 GB. I assumed that somewhere down the road someone enabled smtp 
> >logging. My understanding this is only turned on if you are troubleshoot mail 
> >issues, should this be on or can I disable this and remove the log files? Or 
> >I can leave it enabled but can I remove the log files and gain that disk 
> >space?
> 
> You can leave the logging enabled and delete the log files no no
> longer need. You didn't say where those log files were stored, though.
> The SMTP and HTTP log file are usually (but not always) in the
> system32\logfiles directory (each in their own subdirectory).
> 
> The log file name you gave was from June 10, 2005. If it's a SMTP
> protocol log files I doubt you need it. The Exchange SMTP protocol log
> file names usually begin with "ex", not "in". Verify that the names
> match the information in the SMTP Virtual Server.
> 
> >Ok, second question. 
> >In c:\program files\exchsrvr\mdbdata there's several hundred of E0003A2E.log 
> >files that are taking up to 20gig's. It seems to be that there's 20 of these 
> >log files saving each day. Do I need to keep these log files also or can I 
> >remove them?
> 
> Those log files should be removed when you make a "normal" (online)
> backup of the Exchange databases.
> 
> I wouldn't delete them. I'd find out why the backup isn't being run,
> or why the backup isn't removing the log files.
> 
> -- 
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm
> Don't send mail to this address mailto:h.pott@getronics.com
> Or to these, either: mailto:h.pott@pinkroccade.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@getronics.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@pinkroccade.com
> 
0
John1063 (943)
9/23/2006 10:23:01 PM
John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks for your quick response. To response to your First question. The 
>directory is not  
>the system32 directory. It's being stored in c:\logfiles\smtpsvc1 and all 
>the log files begin with "in". I checked the ESM under smtp protocols and 
>it's enabled and that the directory states c:\logfiles. So taking your 
>suggestion is to leave it enabled and I can purge those log files off the 
>server? 

Yes. They're just written by the SMTP server, not read. If you don't
need them, go ahead and remove 'em.

>to response to your second question. I did some research on this after I 
>posted this message and I found what you mentioned. There's an old backup 
>exec program running on the box and determine this week that's it's not 
>working. So they are there because no backup has run. Money is tight for this 
>company right now. So I'm going into the office tomorrow to run at least 
>ntback of the exchange server and that should help with disk space that I'm 
>in right now. This will free up alot of disk space. Have any tips for me on 
>running NTBACKUP on a windows 2000 server backing up exchange? 

Use the GUI. :-) The Exchange server backup has it's own "container"
in the set of things to do. That'll do for what you need done right
away. Once that's done you can create a command line version and
schedule the backup.

-- 
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm
Don't send mail to this address mailto:h.pott@getronics.com
Or to these, either: mailto:h.pott@pinkroccade.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@getronics.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@pinkroccade.com
0
richnews (7316)
9/24/2006 2:35:56 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Exchange Cluster
I am looking for information regarding deployment of an Exchange Cluster in a Blade configuration. Thanks Ken First and formost, make sure your hardware is on the HCL. Support would only be "best effort" if it is not. The following link will get you to the Deploying Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server Clusters: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2000/library/default.mspx Exchange 2003 Clusters cna be found in the Exchange 2003 Deploymnet Guide at the following location: http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/default.mspx -- Nicholas ...

DPM 2007 SP1 , Server 2008 R2 , Hyper-V
When creating a protection group, I select my hyper-v server but can only see the dpmdb , no guests My DPM is installed on the hyper-V server What am I doing wrong ? Before making the hyper-v server a dpm server, i could see the vm's from my other DPM 2007 SP1 server By default, you can only backup DPMDB from the DPM server. This is by design. Here is the info: http://santhoshsivarajan.blogspot.com/2009/10/local-data-protection-on-dpm-server.html You can enable the local data protection using the following cmdlet: Set-DPMGlobalProperty -DPMServerName servername -A...

Exchange
In Outlook 2007: 1. Draft folder is visible but contents are not! (i can see the number of message but not the messages) 2. Notes folder is NOT visible. (funny thing is that if i make a shortuct i can see it) In BOTH cases all is OK in OWA. Evan Camilleri http://www.holistic.com.mt http://www.dotnetmushroom.com http://www.mobilesalesman.com 1) Perhaps you have a filter set to your view? Verify that the view has been set to "Sent To" and reset it if necessary. 2) Does it show when you switch to the Notes Navigation or use the Folder List Navigation to see all your folders ...

Cannot Unistall IMF Exchange 2003
Hello, I am having troubling applying Exchange 2003 Server SP 2. The error message says I need to uninstall Intelligent Message Filtering BEFORE I install SP2. I try to uninstall IMF and it will not uninstall. The error message says "There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Please contact your support personnel or package vendor. .....A Fatal error during installation." I've also reinstalled the original install of IMF and still the same issues. Any thoughts? Thanks, Randy Hughes Reinstall IM...

Intermittant connection with Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2005
I have a problem affecting just one of our clients. About a third of the messages get through, and about 2 thirds are dropped. We use Exchange Server 2005 and Outlook 2003. The client side is using Microsoft Frontbridge. If we send mail using Outlook Web Access or Evolution, all of the mail is delivered. Can someone tell me why only some of our messages sent via Outlook get delivered while all messages delivered by OWA or Evolution get through? Thanks, Rick ...

restore public folder to Exchange 2003 server from backup copy of the Exchange 5.5 server
Hi, Recently a user deleted a folder witnin the Public Folders on the Exchange 2003 server. When I looked at a backup copy from the backup tape, I could not find the pub1.edb file in the MDBDATA folder. I am using Backup Exec. 8.6. Prior to this, I migrated to Exchange 2003 from Exchage 5.5 and changed my Exchange 2003 into Native Mode. I made a copy of the Exchange 5.5 pub1.edb onto an external hard drive,with its utility. Can i use this copy of the pub1.edb for the existing pub1.edb I have for the Public Folders? If so, what are the steps that I would need to do in performing this act...

Pulling email from exchange server with an exchange account
Hello, I was running a 2003 exchange server but got tired of dealing with the spam, ndr and the rest. I had setup the accounts for everyone including myself. Basically I had in outlook my account setup as an exchange account. Now that our corporate mail is hosted elsewhere I need to pull off my email from my exchange account. I have created POP accounts while using the the IP address for pop and smtp so everything is local when asking to pull. I have also went through an archive trying to get messages to save on my PC so I can then use as PST file, with no success. I have also tried looking f...

Exchange / POP3
In short: How does one go about having exchange POP email for users whom have 3rd party POP 3 server accounts? Expanded Reason: I have an exchange server setup here and I would like to get email to my users from a 3rd party POP3 account. I would normally just change MX records and point to my exchange server and have the email go right to the exchange server, but this ISP will not allow me to receive inbound SMTP. So as it stands; I can send email from my exchange server using my internet connection with out any issues, it's the receiving part that has me hung up, and if I co...

virus attacks against Exchange
I've noticed over the last month that every Sunday morning at 5:45 a.m. our Exchange server sends a CPU warning. When I check the app event log for that date/time there is a *huge* amount of virus detections by our real time virus monitor . What exactly is going on here and how might I prevent this from continuing to happen ? thanks sounds like you have an "on demand" scan of your mailbox store scheduled for this time frame...have you checked? look in the configuration of your Exchange AV... "chrism" <chris@no_spam> wrote in message news:uZcfIwKpEHA.33...

Exchange 2003 #5
How many clients/users will Exchange 2003 support? I have heard that it can support up to 10,000 users. Is this correct? "James" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How many clients/users will Exchange 2003 support? I have heard that it can support up to 10,000 users. Is this correct? How long is a piece of string? Define the hardware platform. Define your expectations for perdformance. Define your backup/restore hardware and strategy. Define your expectations for restore/recovery time. The number of mailboxes on a server is meanngless without some context. wi...

Microsoft Exchange #3
When setting up Outlook I clicked on Microsoft Exhange instead of POP3. Now it is stuck wanting Microsoft Exchange Server. How do I get rid of this so I can sign up under POP3. I deleted Office 2003 and reinstalled and it is still there. Thank You Maggi Control Panel->Mail Icon. Create a new Profile using the Profiles = button and configure it to use your POP3 account. Then go back and = delete the Exchange account from the Accounts button. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal acco...

Exchange-Integrated Help Desk Software
Can anyone provide any good help-desk softawre that integrates well with Exchange? Preferably open-source (i.e. FREE :) ) Thanks On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:04:03 -0700, circulent <circulent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can anyone provide any good help-desk softawre that integrates well with >Exchange? Preferably open-source (i.e. FREE :) ) > >Thanks You get what you pay for. MOM and its future SCOM 2007 and the helpdesk features of that 2007 product are certainly good products to name just one. As an actionpack subscriber we get MOM Workgroup Edition. does that have...

recover mails from .bak file in ms outlook
Dear All I had some problem with MS Outlook (2003). I found that there was a problem with .PST file I tried to repair it with SCANPST.EXE. It repaired my OUTLOOK.PST file but many mails are missing. I had taken bakup of .PST file into .BAK file. Please guide me how can in recover my mails from .BAK file Thanks Vimal -- vimalrupera If you have a backup copy of your pst and you recover it, then you may well find the problem is also recovered. What format is your pst file? - If your pst is open in Outlook, select properties of the personal folders, Advanced, what is sh...

exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000
Hi, we are considering to migrate our single windows NT domain to windows 2000, then to upgrade the current exchange 5.5 into Exchange 2000 which is currently in the windows 2000 member server within this NT domain. I know I have one option: * upgrade the PDC to windows 2000 domain control and then exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000. what is the risk here? * my question here is: where could I find the detail steps? I am thinking if I have another option which is: * Migrate the PDC to windows 2000 domain. * Install a saparated exchange 2000 server * move the mail box from exch...

SQL Server 2008
Hi: I realize that these newsgroups are mostly for technical discussions. So, if it's more appropriate to point me to another site for answers to the questions that I'm about to ask, then please do so. I just learned that there is going to be a SQL Server 2008. I am a certified DBA (MCITP) for SQL Server 2005. Will there be an exam upgrade path from 2005 to 2008? Does anyone out there have any certification information for 2008, even though 2008 is not out yet? Will the SQL Server 2005 MCITP certification expire anytime soon? More importantly, will there be compatibility ...

Problems between two Exchange Servers
At my Company we are planning to replace an existing exchange 2000 server (EXS1 NT Pack 4.0 Exchange Sp3) with a new server called (EXS2 NT Pack 4, No Service Pack). So we configured an additional server and added to our primary Site. We moved a few mailboxes to the new server and seem to get outside mail but I see that all the mail sent locally is not been delivered and is stuck in the Queue that is pointing to the new server by name exs2.mydomain.com. I tried to force a connection but it doesnt want send the mail. Please help Gary Vidal Is there more than one routing group? -- reg...

Exchange ignores Outlooks text only setting
we are running excg5.5 sp4, on nt4.0 sp6. we are using office 98, and 2000. The problem we are having is Exchange ignores Outlooks text only setting and send both text and html mime encoded messages. On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 05:55:01 -0700, "mikee" <mikee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >we are running excg5.5 sp4, on nt4.0 sp6. we are using office 98, and 2000. >The problem we are having is Exchange ignores Outlooks text only setting and >send both text and html mime encoded messages. What ticks have you got on the Internet Mail tab > Advanced Options of the I...

GLOBALROOT Error on Exchange 2003
I setup protection for Exchange Server 2003 SP2 running on Win2K3 SP2. There are four information storage groups. I am protecting the server using DPM 2010 RC. All of the prerequisite steps were performed successfully. Two of the info storage groups (the small ones - 30GB) backup successfully. The two large info storage groups (125GB each) fail with the following alert message: DPM encountered an error while performing an operation for \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy38\Exchsvr\MdbData\support\Support (ServerName)\Support.edb on ServerName.domain.com (ID 2033 Detai...

CE6: Hive Registry on XIP ROM & RAM File System
Hi, The CE6 BSP from supplier supports ROM-Only file system, XIP, Hive-based Registry. It works fine on my board. But we are reuiqred to support ROM and RAM file system, XIP, Hive-based Registry. After some modifications, ROM and RAM file system is working now. All folders are in RAM, except Windows folder. But I have two problems, don't know how to solve them: 1. After system boots up, only My Device icon and Recyle Bin icon appears on desktop. IE icon, Word Pad icon, and other MS shortcut icons are not displayed. Program folder is empty. I remember I can see all the wince...

Reading Access Files on PDA
I have ordered a PDA a HP Ipaq H2210, and I want to transfer a database I have on my PC to my Ipaq. On my PC I use MS Access 2002. Access is not available on the Ipaq so I was wondering if any knew of any software that I can get that I will run on the Ipaq and can read/write Access 2002 files. Does anyone know of any such software that I can use? Ideally it should be freeware. I hope you can help. Thanks!! I do not know of any software that will run on the Ipaq that could read/write Access 2002 files. Perhaps, you may want to return the IPaq and find a PDA that does supports Access. &qu...

antigen on exchange #2
HI All, This question regarding antigen software recently we installed in our exchange server. Every thing has gone fine, when I test adding some words to filters are not working. By default filtering has in enabled the State. What I configuration I have to do. I did not change any configurations. Thanks in advance, Shiva. ...

domain added then removed from exchange but emails still route to exchange ?
Hi, Was wondering if someone can explain this: added external domainA to accepted domains added domainA mail address to users mailbox (mx was not changed) sent email from mailbox/account/domainB (hosted on exchange server) to domainA , arrived in users mailbox on exchange as expected removed domainA from accepted domains removed domainA email address from users mailbox to domainA , arrived in users mailbox on exchange as expected, arrived in users mailbox, this was not expected. When using Outlook (domainB exchange accounts) and entering the email address user@domainA.co...

SMTP Relay Server and Mail Aliases
Hi! I have front-end and back-end Exchange. I do not want that my front-end Exchange has SMTP relay functionality. I want to deploy a SMTP relay server in DMZ. My problem is: This SMTP relay server is not a member of my Exchnage AD domain and does not know about mail aliases in my Exchange domain. I do not want that I open additional ports on firewall which is between my Exchange domain and SMTP mail relay. My question is: How can I inform that SMTP relay server knows about all mail aliases on my Exchange domain? Best Regards Mustafa "mustafa" <mustafa@discussions.microso...

Cannot Kill Excel File
Hi, Below is the Code that i am working: Dim objXL As Object, objWkb As Object, objSht As Object Set objXL = CreateObject("Excel.Application") Set objWkb = objXL.Workbooks.Open([FileName]) Set objSht = objWkb.Worksheets("Sheet1") With objSht 'Code to modify the excel file Info End With objWkb.SaveAs strTempFile 'Save the Excel file as a Tempoary to prevent overwriting the orginial file objWkb.Close savechanges:=False objXL.Quit Set qdf = CurrentDb.CreateQueryDef("TempQuery", "SELECT T1.* FROM [Excel 8. 0;HDR=YES;IMEX=1;Data...

Exchange Calendar Item vs. Outlook problem
Our Exchange 5.5 (SP4) server has what appears to be a corrupt calendar item for January 20, 2004. Those people who have this recurring(?) calendar item experience an Outlook lock up (CPU 100% running process outlook.exe) when accessing their calendar for that date and when syncing for offline Outlook use. This effects Outlook versions 2000 and 2002. Because the item can not be accessed from an Outlook client it can not be deleted. Is there a way to delete recurring calendar items from a specific date in the private data store? Is there an Outlook patch that prevents the CPU utilization p...